001

Surrogate

Jonghyun run as fast as he could after receiving a call from Eunsook's mom. She told him that she found Eunsook fainted in her room. Knowing that the worst possibility could happen to his girlfriend, Jonghyun left the cafe he works at.
He saw Eunsook's mom crying in front of emergency room in the hospital. He walked slowly to her, preparing himself to hear the worst about his girlfriend's condition.
"Mrs. Lee," he said weakly, kneeling in front of the old lady.
"Jonghyun-ah," she hugged him tightly. In between her tears, she informed him how Eunsook was. And he thanked God as the worst didn't happen even though her state was not good either. Comatose is better than die, right?
Yeah, Eunsook could die anytime with her malignant tumor. She was ill and she knew it.


Jonghyun tried to not cry seeing his lovely girl slept in her hospital room. He took her hand, sweeping the bangs on her forehead. Eunsook looked so normal like usually, like she was sleeping, not comatose. "Eunsookie, baby, wake up," Jonghyun whispered, not being able to hold his tears anymore.
He cried, wetting Eunsook's hand that he still held on. He knew Eunsook would leave him with her disease sooner or later, hence he prepared himself. Nevertheless, he couldn't help but crying seeing her like this and being afraid she would leave him now.
Being together for 3 years, Jonghyun found him love her more and more day by day. He couldn’t see the future without her by his side.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was rainy day when the first time Jonghyun met Eunsook. He was in bus stop waiting for his bus to take him home when he heard someone sneezing nonstop. He turned his head and saw a girl covering her half face with her hand. Jonghyun eyed her. She only wore long sleeve t-shirt and skinny jeans. 'Does she not bring any jacket or umbrella? The weather report has told us it would be rain since noon. Weird,' Jonghyun thought that time.


It might be because she sensed someone was eyeing her that made her looked at Jonghyun. That moment when their eyes met, Jonghyun felt he was the weird one since he let a pretty girl in front him suffer from the rain. That girl was pretty. Her eyes were sparkling, she had round cheeks that tainted with pink color, probably because of the coldness, and her lips, Jonghyun couldnt help but wanted to touch that plump lips with his. Her brown hair with curl in the end perfected her attractiveness.

Blinking his eyes for several times, Jonghyun asked, "Are you okay?"
The girl widened her eyes and looked at her surroundings, making sure that Jonghyun's question was for her. "Me? Yeah, i'm okay."
"Don't you bring any jacket or umbrella? I dont think your t-shirt is warm enough in this cold, windy and rainy day."
"Ah.. i brought my jacket and umbrella when i left my home this morning, but seemed like i left them on bus," she answered shyly.
Jonghyun nodded before looking at his own jacket. In dramas he watched with his noona, he often saw a man would offer his jacket to the girl. 'Should i do that? I might get her name later or her number if i am lucky enough,' Jonghyun thought.
With that in mind, Jonghyun handed his jacket to the girl. "Here, you can wear it."
"Heh?" That girl startled. "No, thank you. You could..."
"As a man, i can’t let a girl like you freezing in this terrible day. Just wear it. I feel bad if i don’t do anything for you," Jonghyun didn’t let the girl finished her sentence. Being persistent, Jonghyun stepped closer to put his jacket on her, covering her shoulders.
"Thank you..."
"Jonghyun. My name is Jonghyun."
"Ah.. thank you, Jonghyun-ssi. I am Eunsook," that girl extended her hand.
"Eunsook," Jonghyun said that name while grabbing the extended hand. "A beautiful name for a beautiful girl."
Jonghyun saw the said girl blushing hearing his cheesy line. That night Jonghyun was busy texting Eunsook after he asked her number, reasoning he would tell her where and when to meet him if she wanted to return his jacket.

 

It took Jonghyun 5 months to convince Eunsook that he loved her so much. Jonghyun always came to Eunsook's home to spend some times together, sharing their day or watching Eunsook's favorite singer's videos. Eunsook was a big fans of Onew, the most famous idol now. Sometimes Jonghyun was jealous seeing how much his girlfriend liked that Onew guy. Eunsook even rejected his offer to go out since her Onew would perform or appear on TV show and rescheduled their date after that.


"Eunsookie," Jonghyun was laying his head on her laps while Eunsook playing with his hair in a particular day.
"Hmmm..."
"Which one will you choose, me or Onew?"
"Onew oppa," Eunsook answered eagerly.
"Why? I am your boyfriend."
"Because i like him. I know him longer than i know you. And he is my idol," Eunsook explained, smile never left her face.
"Go and date him then."
"Oh, i will do that if i could. It's not like i don't want to date Onew oppa."
"Yaaahhh... you are so mean," said Jonghyun, getting up from Eunsook's laps and sitting straight beside her.
"And you love this meanie girl," Eunsook replied. "Don't be fool and jealous over Onew oppa."
With that, Eunsook kissed Jonghyun's cheek. "It is fun to tease you with something about Onew oppa." She caressed Jonghyun’s other cheeks with her hand, leaning her forehead to his.
"You are so mean, why i even love you in the first place, hmm?" Jonghyun questioned before locked lips with his girlfriend. Eunsook just responded to the kiss as a reply.

 

And that was after 16 months they're together when Eunsook was diagnosed with cancer. Jonghyun tried his best to not cry seeing his lovely girl shed tears hearing that bad news. Deep in his heart Jonghyun vowed to make her happy in the rest of her life. "I love you," he said while embracing the crying girl in his arms.
And Jonghyun fulfilled his vow. He bought Onew’s latest albums and singles for Eunsook, purchased his concerts ticket for her and accompanied her watching his performances or listening to his songs, knowing that those would always make her happy. And he was not able to descript how grateful he was seeing her wide smile and happy face every time he brought Onew’s latest albums, singles or concert tickets.
“Thank you, Jonghyunnie,” Eunsook said one day in his embrace. “I always thought you hate Onew oppa. But, you still spoil me with his things.”
“I hate him for making you choose him over me, but I thank him for always making you smile and happy,” Jonghyun stated. “I will do anything to make you happy and smile every day, every time, baby.”
“I know,” Eunsook snuggled closer to him. “This is his last concert before his enlistment, so you don’t need to waste your money for me anymore. You can save your money for your future, your wife and your children.”
“Ssssttt… my wife will be you and you will give birth my children. I don’t want anyone but you,” Jonghyun kissed Eunsook’s hair. “You will survive and we will have a happy family. We will raise our children together until they married and give us grandchild. Everything will be okay, baby. Don’t lose your hope. I’m here.”
Jonghyun felt Eunsook shook his head. He knew he had become unrealistic one between them. But he couldn’t help. He didn’t want to believe with what doctors said, that Eunsook’s cancer has been serious to the point it was incurable. Both were crying in silence at that moment.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Baby, wake up. You have slept for a week, don’t you want to wake up and see me? I want to see your sparkling eyes, baby. Eunsookie, wake up,” Jonghyun begged beside Eunsook. “Don’t you want to know about Onew’s latest news? He is doing well in military. He becomes more handsome, you will really like him more. Wake up, open your eyes so you can see him.”
“Tell me, what do you want? I will do whatever it is if you open your eyes,” Jonghyun added. Doctors had said that it was a miracle to make Eunsook open his eyes and awake from her comatose, but Jonghyun refused to believe it.
In that moment, Jonghyun aimed to make Eunsook’s dreams came true. There was a dream of her he could make it happened. As a big fans of Onew, she really wanted to meet him and get his signature. But, Onew was in military, how could Jonghyun drag him to come and meet her? Signature, it was almost impossible too. Onew didn’t have any fansign events, how could he come to get his signature then? There was only one way left. Even though the chance was small, he would give it a try.
That night, Jonghyun looked at Onew’s fansites and fanbases to know where the famous singer doing his military service. He would send him a letter, begging for him to grant his girlfriend’s dream. Deep in his heart, Jonghyun pray Onew would pick and read his letter among many letters he received.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At first I wanted to write this story as one shot, but I am just too lazy to sit in front of my computer and write, so I decided to divide it in to some chapters. For now, I plan to make it as 3 chapters, but I can’t promise you I won’t write it longer or lesser.

p.s.: I’m trying to write better >.<