Not The Same

Manager Oppa Has a Life Too

Once he got home, Changsub flopped onto the sofa and the tv. The sounds of laughter and cheesy sound effects from some random variety show filled his small apartment, but Changsub paid it no attention.  He took out his phone and opened his kakao chat with Chorong.

 

Changsub: I got home, did you finish writing those song lyrics?

 

Chorong: No...I told you it’s hard and it takes time >_<

 

Changsub: I’ll help you if you show me ;)

 

Chorong: Nice try but no.

 

Changsub: Chorong merong :P

 

Chorong: ??

 

Changsub: What, I was just showing you how good I am at rhymes. Get it? ChoRONG meRONG ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

 

Chorong: Still not gonna show you the lyrics.

 

Changsub: Heol...seriously no jaem.

 

Chorong: ……

 

Changsub: You know I’m kidding.

 

Chorong: Of course you’re kidding. You’re always kidding.

    

Changsub: Ahhhh you know me so well.

 

Chorong: Too well lol :P

 

Changsub: I’m hungry…

 

Chorong: …T_T

 

Changsub: Oh...are they making you diet again? Sorry >o<

 

Chorong: Send me pics of your ramyeon and I’ll forgive you ㅋㅋㅋ.

 

Changsub: Okay~

 

    Changsub got up to start boiling water for his noodles. The small pot bubbled as he added the dried noodles and the packet of soup flavoring. His hand reached for the cabinet to get a bowl but he hesitated, then decided he was too lazy to wash it later. He would just eat out of the pot. Besides, who would stop him?

 

     His phone blinked with Chorong’s message.

 

Chorong:  You’re eating out of the pot again aren’t you.

 

Seeing that message caused him to grin. It was so funny how she sometimes sounded like his mom. He took his food back to the sofa and quickly snapped a picture to send to Chorong.  She replied quickly with an emoji that had heart eyes.

 

Chorong: Thanks Sub-ah.

 

     He slurped his ramyeon noisily and glanced at his tv which was now showing a preview for a different program next week. The familiar laughing faces of Apink flashed on the screen. Curious, Changsub quickly sent Chorong another message.

 

     Changsub: Saw the preview for that show whatever it’s called. When did you girls film that?

 

     Chorong: Oh that? Ah...sometime last week I think.

    

    Changsub: I’ll try to watch if I’m not working.

 

    Chorong: You don’t have to.

 

    Changsub: Why, did you say something weird on the show? ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

 

    Chorong: Maybe…….lol.

 

    Changsub: Suspicious.

 

    Chorong: They asked about dating and stuff.

 

    Changsub: Oh?

 

    Chorong: We just said the usual things, you know, the company’s policies…

 

    Changsub: Aww but that’s a boring answer :P

 

    Of course Changsub was very familiar with the company’s dating policies for their female artists. The restrictions which existed to “preserve their innocent image.” Not that Bpink seemed very much like pretty innocent girls, Changsub thought to himself. As much as Eunkyung would like to pretend the girls were all dainty and delicate, it was obvious that they were very much the opposite.

 

For Apink however, he could understand the need for these policies.  As the company’s primary source of revenue, Apink’s image had to be preserved at all costs and their large fanbase could not be upset with anything as “betraying” as a dating scandal. The die hard fans could be rather harsh with online comments.

 

Changsub gazed blankly at the tv, lost in thought at he finished his ramyeon. He remembered all the times Apink’s managers had complained about having to cover up for the girls any time one of them was trying to date in secret.  From what he’d heard, it wasn’t fun.

 

"I hope I never have to deal with all that with Bpink."

 

Sighing, he got up and went to go wash the pot. When he came back to the couch, there was another reply from Chorong.

 

Chorong: ….Well what else were we supposed to say?

 

Changsub: Idk, it can’t hurt to entertain them a bit, maybe drop some hints or something lol jkjk.

 

     Chorong: …….

 

    Changsub: I was kidding again, anyways you should sleep early today, you’ll need rest for tomorrow’s schedules. Sweet dreams chinguya~

 

He waited for her usually quick reply, but the minutes passed and it never came. This confused him a little. For some reason he had a hunch she was still awake...but why wasn’t she answering? Of course, it was possible she had taken his suggestion a bit too literally and fallen asleep right then and there but he couldn’t shake the feeling that maybe something was up with her these days.

 

"Should I ask to her about it later?"

 

Changsub debated this for a bit. Chorong was usually able to confide in him with most of her problems and they’d had many personal talks over the years. Shrugging he decided to let it go, thinking to himself that she would have already told him first if anything was wrong.

 

"She’s probably just tired with schedules and stuff."

 

~~~~~~~~

 

     (Meanwhile at Apink’s dorm)

 

     Chorong sat on her bunk bed, absently toying with the keychains hanging from her phone case. Bomi popped into the room.

 

    “Unnie, what is it?” She sat next to Chorong and looked over at her phone. “Yahh...it’s been 15 minutes already! Why didn’t you answer Changsub last oppa’s message???”

 

    With a sigh, Chorong set down her phone and hugged her pillow.

 

    “It’s so confusing.” She mumbled to herself.

 

    “Hmm??”

 

    “Nothing really...it’s just recently when he says stuff like this I can’t seem to think of what to say next.”

 

    “But you message him all the time? You’ve been doing it for years.”

 

    Chorong gave Bomi a weird conflicted expression.

 

    “It’s not the same these days.” She stated simply.

 

     “Has he changed or something?”

 

     “No...no not at all, he’s exactly the same as always but…” She paused. “...I don’t know maybe it’s me..”

 

  “I think I know what it is.” Bomi grinned and pinched Chorong’s cheek.

 

She got up from the bunk bed and left the room with a wink, leaving Chorong feeling more confused than ever.

 

"Why does it feel like I’m the only one missing something here…"

 

She stared at the text of Changsub’s message, at the words “Sweet dreams chinguya.”

 

“Chinguya…” She whispered to herself.

 

"He’s said this so many times...but...why does it suddenly feel like it’s not enough…?"