[Who's your best friend?]

Sweet Lies

 

 
Click here to view the Characters and the Characters Map
 
 
 
 
*knock.. knock* 
 
*knock.. knock*
 
Tapping his fingers on the table and looking at the time on his phone, instead of his expensive Swiss watch. “Please don’t come, please don’t come” Dong-goo whispered to himself.
 
Dong-goo was sitting alone on a dining table at a 5 star hotel restaurant, he looked handsome and very elegant in his dark blue suit. That elegant look gets ruined as soon as he opens his mouth to blow his bubble gum. “A disgusting habit” as his father calls it. But Dong-goo can’t help it, he’s addicted to gum. As matter of fact, his dream when he was a kid is to open a gum factory. It didn’t work eventually, but at least he caries his gum pack in his pocket everywhere he goes, while making sure not to have it in front of his father, especially when he is at work. 
 
Dong-goo looked at his phone again, it’s 7:13.
*knock.. knock*
*knock.. knock*
*knock.. knock* 
 
 
 
 
... SL (◕‿◕) ...
 
 
 
Adding the final touches of her make up in a rush, Ji-yoon stood in her large and messy dressing room, while trying hard to ignore all the phone calls she received. “Done” she put down her lipstick and ran and wore her clothes in 15 seconds. Sounds of footsteps came from her bedroom, It was her mother. 
 
“Oh, Let me see..” Said Ji-yoon’s mom with a smile of satisfaction on her face after checking Ji-yoon’s whole look. Ji-yoon was wearing a puffed white short skirt with a white blouse tucked into the skirt, a baby blue coat, and her signature ponytail. 
“Wait, you forgot to wear earrings,” Her mother said, while opening her daughter’s jewelery drawers, “Please behave well in front of this guy, I heard good things about him” 
“Right.. from his mommy?” said Ji-yoon with a sarcastic smile.
Mrs. Kim: “Actually, your father told me about him” and she handed her the earrings.
Ji-yoon: “How does Dad know him?”
Mrs. Kim: “He met his father” 
“Oh, I see now.. So it was the daddy who told you nice things about his little boy then” Ji-yoon gave her mom the smile again, while wearing the earrings.
“Just go now, go.. and don’t embarrass us” said Mrs. Kim with a threatening look.
“OK.. OK.. Don’t worry” Ji-yoon waved a bye and ran out of her room while holding her heels in one hand and her phone and clutch in the other.
 
 
 
 
... SL (◕‿◕) ...
 
 
 
Instead of walking towards the car, Ji-yoon sneaked around her massive house, walking bare foot to find her backpack on the grass located under her bedroom window. She took it and walked back towards the car.
 
Ji-yoon: “Hello Ahjussi!” 
Mr. Park: “Good evening”
 
  • Mr. Park and his wife Mrs. Han worked for Ji-yoon’s family for over 30 years, working for her grandfather before both moving to work with her father two years after he got married. They got married at the same year as Ji-yoon's parents, and they have a son called Park Hyun-Ki. He is Ji-yoon’s childhood best friend, before moving to Australia to study Architectural Engineering. 
 
Ji-yoon: “Any instructions from my mom?” 
“Make sure she doesn’t escape this time" Mr. Park quoted.
Ji-yoon: “Don’t worry, no more escaping”
Mr. Park: “Is that why you brought your backpack?” he looked from the front mirror. 
Ji-yoon: “I’m actually meeting some friends after letting this guy regret this date" and she made an evil laugh.
Mr. Park: “Go easy on the poor kid”
Mr. Park couldn’t help but feel happy after hearing what Ji-yoon have said. 
Ji-yoon: "So don’t wait for me”
Mr. Park: "Alright, call me if you need anything"
 
 
 
... SL (◕‿◕) ...
 
 
*Phone rings* (Background music of Stayin' Alive - Bee Gees)
 
Dong-goo: “Hey man”
Sang-chul: “I knew you’d pick up the phone by now. How’s the date? It took you 30 minutes so she must be pretty at least” 
Dong-goo: “She’s not here yet”
Sang-chul: “What!”
Dong-goo: “I’m a bit relieved actually, it’s probably a sign that she’s not coming” 
Sang-chul: “Whoa, so you weren’t kidding when you said you were afraid of this arranged date!”
Dong-goo: “You didn’t see my parents when they talked about her family. I don’t think I've ever seen my father being so insistent!” 
Sang-chul: “I doubt that, haha”
Dong-goo: “I’m serious! I think he’s planning some kind of a business deal with her family. You know my father..”
Sang-chul: “Are they that rich?”
Dong-goo: “That’s what I’ve heard”
Sang-chul: “Well, If she appeared, you can set her up with your more handsome friend”
Dong-goo: “So funny!”
Sang-chul: “I’m just trying to help you, you know..”
Dong-goo: “OK, get lost now”
Sang-chul: “Show her my picture on….” 
Dong-goo hung off the phone.
 
 
 
 
 
... SL (◕‿◕) ...
 
 
Ji-yoon got out of the car and entered the hotel and looked for the nearest restroom. She went there and started wiping off her makeup in a hurry and changing her clothes to a pair of blue jeans and a dark blue hoodie. “Oh crap!” she kept looking in her backpack “Oh no.. no.. no” she forgot to pack her sneakers.
She tried her best to walk out fast with her heels on. She went to the hotel’s restaurant and asked the employee for a table reservation under the name “Kim.. something!” She didn't remember his first name.
The employee opened his note book “Kim Dong-goo. Yes, Miss. I think he’s still waiting for you”
Ji-yoon: “Please tell him that I can’t meet him, and I don’t think we should meet again in the future.. OK bye!” she ran away slowly while trying not to stumble. She didn’t even have time to meet him in person. She’s too late now! 
She stopped a taxi, while the restaurant employee was talking to Dong-goo. 
 
 
 
 
 
... SL (◕‿◕) ...
 
 
“Yessss” Dong-goo responded to the employee’s message. “Thank you!” he said it with a big smile. The employee was confused by Dong-goo’s reaction, he thought it was completely rude to make a person wait for 45 minutes and then stood him up without even apologizing to that person. But Dong-goo couldn’t care less about meeting her. 
 
 
 
 
 
... SL (◕‿◕) ...
 
 
“What did I miss?” Said Ji-yoon after taking a seat next to Jun-ha. 
“Seriously?” He looked at the heels she’s wearing. 
“Don’t ask” Ji-yoon replied back.
Ji-yoon: “It’s been 35 minutes! Agh, I can’t believed I’ve missed that much!” 
Jun-ha: “You didn’t just miss 35 minutes, you’ve missed the start of our first game ever in the Second Devision” 
“Stop making me feel guilty” Ji-yoon lowered her head and looked back at him “You know it was out of my control right?” 
Jun-ha: “Yeah yeah.. whatever”
 
They were both sitting in the middle of a football (soccer) stadium. It was 35 minutes in the first half of a match between Seoul Boys FC vs Yongin FC. Seoul Boys were 0-1 down at their stadium. 
 
“Hey, what is he doing” Ji-yoon pointed at Seoul Boys' left back.
“Heeeeey Jung-woo” Jun-ha stood yelling disparately “Don’t leave the space behind you open you idiot.. Heeeey.."
“Aghhhh” Ji-yoon and Jun-ha disappointedly sat after they watched Seoul Boys receive their second goal.
 
 
 
 
 
... SL (◕‿◕) ...
 
 
“Look who’s here!” Sang-chul raised his beer in salutation.
Dong-goo: “I couldn’t let you guys spend the night without me” he smiled “You know me, I’m too considerate!"
Min-woo was too busy making out with the girl sitting next to him to pay attention.
“How rude!” Dong-goo referred to Min-woo and sat down and opened a bottle of beer.
 
  • The three friends were sitting in an apartment located in front of a famous bar. It’s their spot, their man cave, the place where they all can escape from their everyday jobs to and just relax and have fun. They turned the apartment into a large living area with a big screen and with all kinds of video games. They also have a billiards table, a table tennis table, and a dart board. Plus a mini bar filled mainly with beer, snacks, and Sang-chul's chocolate bars. 
 
Two more girls rang the door and entered, One sat next to Sang-chul and the other sat on Dong-goo’s lap. 
Dong-goo’s girl: “Oppa, it’s been a week since I last saw you, I missed you!” 
Dong-goo: “Oppa has been really busy with work”
Min-woo: “He just came from an arranged date, just so you know”
Dong-goo: “Oh, so now you're talking!”
Min-woo smiled.
Dong-goo’s girl: “Oppa, you’re making me mad!” 
Dong-goo” “Oppa had no other choice but to go”
Dong-goo’s girl: “Is she pretty?”
Dong-goo: “Ah, you know no girl can be prettier than you”
And they started kissing. Min-woo and his girl were kissing too, meanwhile Sang-chul and his girl were sitting between the two couples. Sang-chul’s girl got closer and tried to kiss him and he avoided her kiss. 
Sang-chul: “Sorry sweetie, I don’t want to be like my Hyungs” he drank his beer “I need to be sure about how this feels at first” and he pointed at his heart.
Sang-chul’s girl got mad because he rejected her in front of the others, she got so mad that she couldn’t understand him “What is wrong with you, I’m as pretty as them” and she pointed at his friends’ girls. She took her jacket and walked away. 
Dong-goo: “You have to take it easy sometimes”
Sang-chul: “Just mind your own business” and he walked next to the TV screen and started playing a video game.
Min-woo: “So, I heard she stood you up”
Dong-goo: “Yeah, although I hate how it sounds but I owe this girl” 
Min-woo: “What do you mean?”
Dong-goo: “She put an end to it by saying that we shouldn’t meet again"
Min-woo: “Oh, so you've met her?”
Dong-goo: “Are you serious? Do you think a girl can meet this face and walk away?” and he looked at his girl “Right?”
“Right” Dong-goo’s girl smiled back.
Sang-chul: “Wait, so how do you know that she doesn’t want to meet you anymore?”
Dong-goo: “One of the restaurant employees told me” 
“She could’ve seen you, you know..” Sang-chul laughed.
Min-woo laughed too. 
Dong-goo: “There’s an invention called a phone, you idiots”
Min-woo: “You can’t be sure though” and he continued laughing with Sang-chul trying to tease their friend.
 
 
 
 
 
... SL (◕‿◕) ...
 
 
Walking on the streets away from the stadium.
“I can’t believe Ahjussi's formation!” Ji-yoon seemed very annoyed “He opened both flanks for the other team to exploit!"
Jun-ha: ”He’s lucky that his team only lost by three goals, If the other team’s two main strikers were playing, we’ll end up conceding six goals at least!”
Ji-yoon: “I think being in the Second Devision is going to be much harder than we thought it would
Jun-ha: “Maybe that’s the beauty of it” 
Ji-yoon looked at Jun-ha “Do you think we can survive?”
Jun-ha: “I don’t know, specially with Ahjussi’s stubbornness and the owner’s stinginess, but let’s take this as a challenge and do our best to help the team” 
Ji-yoon: “At least now with a better broadcasting in the Second Devision, it will be easier for us to analyze games”
Jun-ha: “I almost forgot about that. I can’t believe the amount of time we spent last season searching and collecting videos and clips!” 
Ji-yoon smiled and looked at Jun-ha “It was worth it, right?” 
“Yes, it was” he smiled back.
 
 
 
 
 
... SL (◕‿◕) ...
 
 
Seven blocks away from the stadium, Ji-yoon and Jun-ha entered a noodle shop called “Sumo Noodles”.
 
Jun-ha “Yo! Sumooo”
A big guy wearing a kimono robe and a high hair bun looked from the cooking station “How’s the game?”
Jun-ha: “Awful man, a 3-0 defeat!”
Sumo: “Oh well..”
Ji-yoon: “Sumooo feed me” 
Sumo: “The usual?”
Ji-yoon with her head resting on the table gave him a thumbs up.
Jun-ha: “And I’ll have some noodles” and he went through the back door and climbed the stairs.
 
  • Sumo Noodles is located in the ground floor of a 4 story building. Sumo and his older sister live in the second floor, Jun-ha and his father live in the third floor, and the fourth floor has no residents.
 
Ji-yoon walked next to the cooking station “Shouldn’t Sun-joo be at home already?” 
Sumo: “She said she's going on a date after work”
Ji-yoon: “Oh really, the guitar guy?” and she tried to take some of the shredded cucumbers before Sumo slapped her hand.
Sumo: “No, she broke up with the guitar guy”
Ji-yoon: “Really! she didn’t tell me” 
Sumo: “I think it was two days ago” and he looked at the ceiling “I’m not sure" 
Ji-yoon: “Who’s the lucky guy this time?” she managed to steal some cucumbers and ate them right away.
Sumo: “A carpenter or a constructor..” he looked at the ceiling again “I’m not sure”
“Hey Sumo!” A customer raised his hand “We want more of your special cocktail”
Sumo: “Yeah, right away"
Ji-yoon: “I got this” and she served the costumers.
 
 
 
 
 
... SL (◕‿◕) ...
 
 
Walking back and forth in his small bedroom while talking to the girl he loved since high school.
 
Jun-ha: “Look, I’m sorry I didn’t come today”
Eun-hye: “You know how much I needed you in the store, there was a lot of work, and you didn’t even show for 10 minutes!”
Jun-ha: “I’m sorry!” 
Eun-hye: “All my friends' boyfriends came and helped us today, I was the only girl who worked alone the whole day!”
Jun-ha: “You know how important the game was today, I couldn’t miss it” 
Eun-hye: “Oh really? I understand how much you love Football but couldn’t you make an exception for me just for one day? The other guys had real jobs and they still showed up”
Jun-ha: “It didn’t seem so important and I thought I could make it up to you tomorrow” 
Eun-hye: “No thank you, I don’t want you to come since you don’t find my work that important” 
Jun-ha: “Come on, I didn’t mean to..” 
Eun-hye hung off the phone.
 
 
 
 
 
... SL (◕‿◕) ...
 
 
Ji-yoon ate her meal then went upstairs and borrowed comfortable shoes from Sun-joo’s closet and then came down and helped Sumo wash the dishes.
Ji-yoon: “That’s weird, he hasn’t come down yet!” referring to Jun-ha.
Sumo remembered the dish he made 30 minutes ago “Aaaaaah, his noodles are cold now! I’ve told him a thousand times that reheating the noodles ruins the whole dish!”  
Ji-yoon: “You should let him eat it cold this time so he can learn how to..” she stopped talking for a second “Oh crap!” 
Sumo: “What?” 
Ji-yoon: “I just remembered something I have to do, sorry got to go now.. Bye” and she took her backpack and ran out of the shop. 
 
She stopped a taxi and went straight home thinking about how much time she has to study for tomorrow’s quiz.
 
 
 
 
 
... SL (◕‿◕) ...
 
 
“Ahjumma!” Ji-yoon spotted Mrs. Han, the main housekeeper and Mr. Park’s wife before she opened her bedroom door. 
Mrs Han: “How was the date?” 
Ji-yoon smiled and gave her a Thumbs-down.
Mrs. Han: “I’m not surprised” She took a deep breath and raised her voice “You've got to take this seriously, these dates are no joke, your parents met that way you know” and she pointed with her head at their bedroom.
“I know.. I know..” Ji-yoon rolled her eyes.
Mrs. Han: “One day, you’ll let a very very veeery good guy slip through your hands because you’re playing around. And other girls won’t hesitate to catch him from you” and she made a claw gesture with her hands.
Ji-yoon tried not to laugh. Although Ahjumma is a serious person, she has a habit of making expressions and gestures when she’s excited. Ji-yoon finds that very cute, so does Mr. Park.
Mrs. Han: “Have you had your dinner?”
Ji-yoon: “Yeah, but can you bring me some coffee please, I have to study late tonight” 
Mrs. Han: “Agh this girl! If you have to study why did you come late from outside?” 
“I’m too tired to argue” Ji-yoon lowered her voice tone and tried to look as tired as she can.
Mrs. Han: “Aigoo..” 
 
 
 
 
 
... SL (◕‿◕) ...
 
 
After she brought Ji-yoon some coffee and fruits and gave her the “fighting” fist, Mrs. Han walked outside the Lee family's house back door to enter an annex house where she and her husband and some of the family's workers live.
 
Mr. Park: “Did you ask her about the date?” 
Mrs. Han: “It didn’t work out”
Mr. Park smiled like he was relieved. 
Mrs. Han: “You can't do this, you know”
Mr. Park stopped smiling and looked at her like he blames her for changing his mood. 
Mrs. Han: “We both have good salaries. We’re even able to buy our own house and move on. Our kid is now studying in one of the best universities abroad, why do you ask for more?” 
Mr. Park: “Don’t you remember how close they were? Or do you think your son is not good enough for Ji-yoon?” 
Mrs. Han was really upset to hear those words “Any girl in the world would be lucky to have my son” She screamed at him “But this is another issue and you know that. Greed has ruined many people’s lives and I’m not planning to take that path”
Mr. Park: “Greed? Really? Is that what you think this is all about?” and he took a deep breath "You know how much I love this girl, and how much I love her father. I just don’t think anything would make me happier than seeing her with Hyun-Ki. It feels right!”
Mrs. Han: “I love her too, she’s like a daughter to me. But we can’t force anything on them or even build our hopes on this idea”
Mr. Park: “What if they like each other, huh?”
Mrs. Han: “I’m not sure about that. But if they do, of course I’ll stand behind them” she stared at Mr. Park “Just stay out of it, OK?” 
“Who said I’m going to do anything” Mr. Park mumbled.
 
 
 
 
 
 
... SL (◕‿◕) ...
 
 
“Good morning!” Said Ji-yoon while she sat on the dining table holding a book in one hand and eating with the other.
Mrs. Kim: “How was the date last night?”
Ji-yoon: “I didn’t meet him” 
Mrs. Kim: “Whaaat! Why?"
Mr. Lee: “How I’m going to explain this to his father?” 
Ji-yoon: “I’m sorry, but when I saw him sitting in the restaurant I remembered seeing him going out with one of my friends at college, and you know what?” she pointed the spoon at her parents “He’s a ladies man, if you know what I mean..” and she continued eating.
Mrs. Kim: “Oh.. Oh god! It’s a good thing that you left” 
“Next time be careful of who you set our daughter with” Mrs. Kim looked at her husband.
Mr. Lee: “How am I supposed to know such thing!”
Mrs. Kim: “You should’ve asked people who knew his son before sending our daughter to meet him” 
Mr. Lee: “Well, I’ve already gave his father the green light when he first suggested the date”
Mrs. Kim: “Just be careful next time, and don't say yes to anyone unless you know them”
Meanwhile, Ji-yoon was studying and eating quietly while her parents were discussing what is actually, a lie. 
 
  • Ji-yoon has been raised as an honest kid, but somehow when she was 12, she started lying to get what she wants, and it worked brilliantly. She can’t remember how many times she lied to her parents without them realizing. It wasn’t easy at the beginning, it took her years of practicing, and now she’s almost a professional liar. 
 
 
 
 
 
... SL (◕‿◕) ...
 
 
Another Lee family were having their breakfast. Lee Kyung-Hwan (Ji-yoon’s uncle) was having his morning coffee and checking the stock market in the newspaper, his wife sat next to him spreading jam on a slice of bread for their son, Jae-hyun. Their daughter, Ha-na, sat in the other side of the table with her face wrapped with bandages, drinking a smoothie from a straw. 
 
Ha-na: “Ouch!” after accidentally hitting her nose with her hand. 
Mr. Lee: “When will you take the bandages off?”
Ha-na: “Three more weeks Daddy. I can’t wait to see how pretty I’ll look!"
Mrs. Shim: “How is the Singapore project?” 
Jae-hyun: “It’s going as planed"
Mrs. Shim: “Good.. Make sure to keep your grandfather updated”
Jae-hyun didn’t respond back.
Mr. Lee: “There’s no need for him to keep my father updated"
Mrs. Shim: “She’s going to graduate soon you know, and we can’t predict your father’s decisions”
Mr. Lee: “My son will be holding the family’s name in the future. My son. A man. Not a women!"
Jae-hyun stood up and walked out of the room.
“You didn’t finish your breakfast..” Said Mrs. Shim before her son got out of the house. 
Mrs. Shim: “Your father is an old man, and you know how much he loves his granddaughter, so don’t just sit there and ask us to relax!”
Mr. Lee stood up and followed his son out of the house. 
Mrs. Shim: “Instead of trying to convince me, go and convince your father”
Mr. Lee slammed the door out of the house. 
Ha-na stared at her mother while drinking her smoothie. 
Mrs. Shim: “What?” 
Ha-na: “Really? You had to say all that early in the morning?”
Mrs. Shim: “Just shut your mouth, when you become a mother you’ll realize why I’m doing all this” 
 
 
 
 
 
... SL (◕‿◕) ...
 
 
After taking her quiz and attending a lecture at the College of Business Administration in the best university in Seoul, Ji-yoon rode her motorcycle to Sumo Noodles. 
 
“Wake up!” Ji-yoon walked through all the clothes on the floor and opened the curtains.
Sun-joo covered her face with a pillow.
Ji-yoon: “Come on Sun-joo, it’s 11 a.m already!”
Sun-joo stood immediately and looked at the time on her phone “Oh my god, Sumo is going to kill me!” 
Ji-yoon: “Why?” and she kicked a bra on the floor and sat next to Sun-joo.
Sun-joo: “I promised to help him clean the shop this morning. Aghh, I hate myself!"
Ji-yoon: “Was your date with the carpenter that good last night? Or was he a constructor?” 
Sun-joo: “A Plumber, and it was OK, you know..”
Ji-yoon: “Nothing special?” 
Sun-joo: “Nothing special!” 
Ji-yoon: “By the way, sorry I borrowed your shoes last night without telling you” 
Sun-joo: “Oh my god, take them. Just please let me wear those pretty heels you left” and she stood and picked them from the floor and hugged them “You know I stayed late last night trying outfits with these gorgeous pearl heels!”
Ji-yoon: “You can have them if you want” 
“Really! Aaaah Thank You, thank you, thank you!” Sun-joo was jumping out of joy before she stopped “But wait, they look really expensive!”
“They’re fake you know, or how in the hell I’m going to afford them, right?” Ji-yoo laughed awkwardly.
Sun-joo: “Their quality is unbelievably good! Where did you get them?” 
Ji-yoon: “Oh, my mom’s friend brought them from Malaysia” 
Sun-joo: “I see..”
“Have you seen Jun-ha last night?” Ji-yoon tried to change the subject. 
Sun-joo: “No, I haven’t” 
Ji-yoon: “I think he’s acting weird lately, last night he asked Sumo to cook him dinner and he didn’t come down to eat it”
Sun-joo: “Honestly, I think he’s having some trouble with Eun-hye”
Ji-yoon: “Eun-hye! I think they looked really happy when she came back from Busan” 
Sun-joo: “I don’t know, Don’t you think she has changed? I mean, she went there to study in law school, after two years she told Jun-ha that she dropped school and started a business with her new friends, and now after staying for five years in Busan she came back like a different person”
“Her style has changed for sure!” Ji-yoon raised her eyebrows.
Sun-joo: “I know right! We all change our style from time to time, but she went to a whole new level!” Sun-joo drew imaginary big s on herself "like really, what a transformation!” 
Ji-yoon tried not to laugh “Come on, she’s still Jun-ha’s girlfriend” 
Sun-joo: “I only said the truth”
Ji-yoon: “Just be careful where you gossip next time, I don’t want Jun-ha to hear us and get mad”
Sun-joo: “Yeah, I know how he can get all protective when it comes to Eun-hye"
 
 
 
 
 
... SL (◕‿◕) ...
 
 
After Sun-joo got dressed, the two girls went down to the noodles shop. 
 
Sun-joo went next to Sumo and hugged his back “Do you need any help?”
Sumo: “No thank you” and he moved her away.
Sun-joo: “Come on lil bro, I promise I’ll make it up for you” 
A young girl entered the back door of the shop after throwing away the garbage. It was Sumo’s girlfriend Yoo-mi. 
Sun-joo: “You came! Ah, thank you so much for helping Sumo” 
“It was nothing!" Yoo-mi smiled. 
Sun-joo: “Now please tell him to forgive his older sister” 
Yoo-mi: “Sumo..” 
Sumo didn’t let his girlfriend finish the sentence “NO!”
Sun-joo: “I’m really really reaaaaally sorry. I saw the heels and went crazy last night, it’s all Ji-yoon’s fault, they were hers!” and she pointed at Ji-yoon.
“What the hell!” Ji-yoon spat some rice she ate from a bowl she found on the cooking bench.
Sumo looked at Sun-joo “You know how much I hate it when people promise something and they don’t do it
Sun-joo: “I know, I’m sorry. I won’t promise anything next time unless I’m sure that I’ll do it.. I promise!” she closed “Oops” 
Sumo: “Aaagh!"
Yoo-mi and Ji-yoon looked at each other and started laughing.
Sumo: “Alright, we’re good. Eat something before you go to work”
And he took out some side dishes that he hid and served it alongside the bowl of rice that Ji-yoon was holding to his sister. 
Although Sumo was mad at Sun-joo, it didn’t stop him from taking care of her. He is that kind. A big boy with a bigger heart. 
 
 
 
 
 
... SL (◕‿◕) ...
 
 
“Sugar Bees!” Jun-ha read the clothing store sign that his girlfriend and her three Busan friends were about to open soon. 
“So that’s what you want to do Eun-hye..” he whispered to himself. 
“Sugar Bees”
“Sugar Bees”
“Sugar Bees” 
He kept reading the store sign because he was a little nervous of going inside. He left his job two hours early after lying to his father just to come here, he had to enter the store eventually. 
 
“Hello!” A tall girl wearing heels and an apron welcomed Jun-ha “We’re still not opened yet” She said. 
Jun-ha: “Yeah, I know. I came here looking for Eun-hye” 
“Oh, Your her boyfriend from Seoul that she told us about, the teacher right?” The girl asked.
Juh-ha: “Wait, what?”
“Yes, it’s him" Eun-hye came and held Jun-ha’s arm “Thank you for coming baby” 
Jun-ha was still surprised.
Eun-hye: “Let me walk you around and show you the store” she pulled him and took him to the storage room. 
Jun-ha: “Teacher? Really?” 
Eun-hye: “I’m sorry, when they asked me at Busan about your job I just.. I just didn’t want to say that you were an auto mechanic” 
Jun-ha: “Why? What’s wrong with my job?”
Eun-hye: “Nothing, nothing. It’s just that the girls were bragging about their boyfriends’ jobs and how many rich guys they've dated and I couldn’t tell them about your job at the time”
Jun-ha looked away and didn’t say anything back. 
Eun-hye held his hand “Come on.. It’s not like I told them you were a doctor or something. I really wanted to brag about my smart boyfriend even if that made me lie”
“Look at me” she held his face “It’s not a big deal. And I really appreciate you coming today after last night’s call” 
Jun-ha: “I told you that I’ll be there for you. Don’t you ever think that I’m a bad boyfriend”
Eun-hye: “You're not”
Jun-ha: “Then don’t let me feel like I am. I work day and night you know. Even if working with Ahjussi’s football team looked like a waste of time, Ji-yoon said that it might help us get good jobs in the future”
Eun-hye didn’t seem to believe such chance. 
Jun-ha: “I’m serious! Do you know that Ji-yoon loaned me a couple of her Business school books too? I’ve learned so much about planning and analyzing in general, not just in Football”  
Eun-hye: “Oh, that sounds.. great” 
Eun-hye: “You seem to spend a lot of time with Ji-yoon” 
Jun-ha: “You know, because we work together, and she’s close with Sun-joo and Sumo too” 
“I think someone is jealous” Jun-ha smiled.
“I’m not!” Eun-hye looked away. 
Jun-ha: “Yes you are” and he started teasing her. 
Eun-hye: “Stop it” she laughed back before she wrapped her arms around his neck “I know how much you love me” 
Jun-ha smiled “So much” 
 
 
 
 
 
... SL (◕‿◕) ...
 
 
 
Ji-yoon spent most of the afternoon helping Sumo in the shop before going upstairs to Jun-ha’s apartment after she borrowed the spare keys from Sumo, like she always does. The apartment was small, it had two bedrooms, a bathroom, a kitchen, and a living room with a big couch (for a very small space) a large TV screen where Jun-ha, his father, and most of the time Ji-yoon watched European football leagues. The living room had also a desktop computer located next to the tiny kitchen. Ji-yoon sat on the chair and opened the computer, she started playing the Seoul Boys game last night and rewatched the whole match with attention to detail, she started writing some notes and making some video edits before Jun-ha’s father entered the apartment. 
 
“You’re here, Great!” Mr. Yang didn't seem so happy when he entered his apartment holding some groceries. 
“Hello Appa!” Ji-yoon continued working on the computer.
Mr. Yang: “Where’s Jun-ha?”
“I don’t know” Ji-yoon lied, she actually saw him when she was at the shop rushing upstairs to take a shower before telling them that he’s meeting Eun-hye. 
Mr. Yang: “He told me that he’s helping an old friend with something urgent. Do you know his friend?”
Ji-yoon: “No” 
Mr. Yang looked at Ji-yoon “He tells you everything!”
Ji-yoon: “Not everything, trust me” 
 
 
 
 
 
 
... SL (◕‿◕) ...
 
 
Mrs. Lim, a very beautiful and elegant lady who just turned 50 and who is trying not to freak out about it, entered her house holding more than 10 shopping bags and asked the house keeper to bring the rest from the car. She found her son lying on the living room Sofa chewing a gum and playing a game on his phone.
 
Mrs. Lim: “Good, you’re here! I bought you a couple of ties, and a cardigan somewhere.." she started opening her bags “Wait, I forgot to ask you about the date last night! How was it?” 
Dong-goo: “She didn’t come” 
“Tell me what did you do this time?” Mrs. Lim stared at her son.
Dong-goo smiled “I’m serious!” 
Mrs. Lim: “Dong-goo!”
Dong-goo: “I’m not lying, how could I lie when it’s an order from father!”
Mrs. Lim: “That’s weird! Do you have any idea why she didn’t come?”
Dong-goo: “She sent a message with the waiter telling that she don’t want us to meet in the future” 
Mrs. Lim: “Whaaat? Why doesn’t she want to meet you?” and she started talking to herself "Like she can ever find a better person than my son” 
Dong-goo: “Anyways, I’m going to see the guys” he kissed his mother’s head and drove to the usual place where they meet.
 
 
 
 
 
 
... SL (◕‿◕) ...
 
 
Mr. Yang cooked a quick dinner and ate it with Ji-yoon and went to bed early. Ji-yoon finished the video edits she needed and went downstairs to find Sun-joo in the shop back from her work.
 
“Do you want some noodles too?” Sumo asked Ji-yoon. 
“Make them three” Jun-ha said after entering the shop and sitting in the table with Sun-joo and Ji-yoon. 
Sun-joo: “Somebody looks happy!” and she looked at Jun-ha.
“Hehehe” He laughed “Is it that obvious?” 
“I can see your smile from back here!” Sumo said from the cooking bench.
Jun-ha: “I can’t help it my friend. It’s love”
Sumo: “Oh, nothing feels better than love” and he started shaking his body while cooking the noodles.
Jun-ha: “Love, love, looooove"
Sun-joo and Ji-yoon looked at each other showing that they’re both not enjoying this conversation. 
Sun-joo: “It’s not cool to brag about your relationships, You idiots just got lucky to find someone before we do” 
Ji-yoon turned her face to Sun-joo “At least you’re dating!” 
Jun-ha: “Yeah, I forgot the guitar guy” 
Sumo and Ji-yoon tried to correct Jun-ha at the same time “Carpenter!” “Plumber!” 
Jun-ha: “What?”
Sun-joo rolled her eyes. 
Ji-yoon: “Anyways, the point is, I’m the only one who’s completely alone” 
Sun-joo: “Wait, what about the tall guy from Seoul Boys who was hitting on you?”
Jun-ha started laughing.
“You told her!” Ji-yoon slapped Jun-ha’s head. 
“What? Do you want to keep secrets from me?” Sun-joo told Ji-yoon.
Sumo: “Who’s the guy?” 
Jun-ha: “The Seoul Boys goalkeeper, Ji-yoon was explaining to him the importance of accurate passes to modern goalkeepers and showing him some pictures, and after she finished her long lecture he asked her if she wanted to have dinner with him”
Ji-yoon: “I was so mad that he didn’t take me seriously” 
He still thinks the reason you talked to him alone is because you liked him” Jun-ha laughed. 
Sumo brought the noodles and joined them after closing the shop. 
Ji-yoon: “ Your father asked about you, by the way” 
Jun-ha: “Did you tell him?”
Ji-yoon: “No” 
Jun-ha strangled her head with his arm and started hitting her forehead “Good girl!” while she struggled to take his arm off.
Sun-joo: “Seriously these two! I don’t know what destiny brought you idiots together!"
 
 
  • Ji-yoon met Jun-ha when she was 12 years old. Even at a young age, she managed to stay around him without anyone of her family knowing. Alongside Park Hyun-Ki, Jun-ha became a very close friend to her in the past 11 years they’ve known each other. Sumo believes they have a special connection, while Sun-joo thinks the two of them are just weird. They even share clothes sometimes. Mr. Yang (Jun-ha’s father) got used to Ji-yoon by time and he now treats her like he treats his own son. There’s a rumor around the neighborhood that she’s Jun-ha's sister. 
 
 
 
 
 
... SL (◕‿◕) ...
 
 
Mrs. Lim managed to get Ji-yoon’s mother phone number and called her in the morning. 
 
Mrs. Lim: “Good morning Mrs. Kim”
Mrs. Kim: “Good morning, sorry who am I speaking to?”
Mrs. Lim: “I’m Lim Hyo-sook, Kim Dong-goo’s mother”
Mrs. Kim changed her voice tone “Oh, can I help you with something?”
Mrs. Lim felt that Ji-yoon’s mother is being rude in her response “I’m just calling to ask about what happened in our children’s date, I understood from Dong-goo that your daughter didn’t show up and asked not to meet him again” 
Mrs. Kim: “Yes” 
Mrs. Lim couldn’t believe how rude Mrs. Kim was, and she couldn't control her reaction “Can you at least tell me why? What is wrong with my son, huh? Do you think that your family is in a different level that your not taking this date seriously? Who do you think you are?!”
Mrs. Kim: “Listen, I’m trying not to cause a problem here, but my daughter told me that your son is a womanizer, as a matter of fact, she had seen him with different girls. So instead of blaming us go and ask your son about his life style!”
“Wha.. What?” Mrs. Lim couldn’t answer back, she knew her son likes to flirt with girls and he goes out a lot with his friends.
“Goodbye Mrs. Lim” Mrs. Kim hung up the phone before waiting for an answer. 
 
 
 
 
 
... SL (◕‿◕) ...
 
 
  • Kim Dong-goo is the deputy general manager in a company called León. His father Kim Byung-hyn is the vice chairman and the CEO of the company. Dong-goo took his role at a young age after he studied Business in Germany and learned about the car industry there.
  • León is a South Korean Automotive Manufacturer. The company was co-founded by Kim Byung-hyn and his uncle Kim Eui-sun 18 years ago. This new company is beginning to expand in South Korea. Their revenues have jumped 400% five years ago and it continues growing since then.
On his office, Dong-goo was working with Sang-chul, who is head of the Marketing team at León, on a new advertising plan concerning the new car the company is releasing soon, before he received a phone call from his mother.
 
 
Mrs: Lim: “DONG-GOOOOOOO”
Dong-goo moved the phone away from his ear because his mother was so loud.
Dong-goo: “What’s wrong Mama?” 
Mr. Lim: “I just talked to Ji-yoon’s mother and do you know what she told me?” 
Dong-goo: “Ji-yoon? The girl from the date?” 
Mrs. Lim: “I asked her why her daughter is not willing to meet you, and do you know what she told me? DO YOU WHAT SHE TOLD ME?"
Dong-goo moved the phone away again.
Mrs. Lim: “She told me that her daughter thinks you're a womanizer! And she's seen you with different girls, that’s why she ran away” 
Dong-goo: “Wha.. What?”
Mrs. Lim: “How many girls have you been seeing lately?”
Dong-goo: “Not that much!"
Mrs: Lim: “DONG-GOOOOOOO”
Dong-goo: “Agh.. Yes, OK, I’ve dated a couple of girls lately. Like any normal guy my age would do” 
Mrs: Lim: “DONG-GOOOOOOO”
“Would you please stop yelling” Dong-goo started talking to the phone he’s holding away from his ear. 
Mrs. Lim: “What would your father do if he found out what the Lee family thinks of his son?”
Dong-goo: “Please don’t mention it to him”
Mrs. Lim: “I will” 
Dong-goo: “Come on Mama!” 
Mrs. Lim: “You should learn a lesson in order to behave well. I don’t want my son to turn into a manwhore”
Dong-goo: “A manwhore? honestly Omma, are you really going to believe a stranger’s daughter over your own son?” 
Mrs. Lim: “From now on, I don’t want to see you messing around with girls, and I’m going to set you up with a good girl soon"
Dong-goo: “Oh no..”
Mrs. Lim hung up the phone. 
 
 
Sang-chul smiled “Woah! So the girl actually saw you at the date!” 
Dong-goo: “Is this what you caught from the whole conversation?!” 
“Aish!” Dong-goo sat at his chair and laid his head back trying to figure out how Ji-yoon saw him with other girls. 
Dong-goo: “How in the hell she saw me? I haven’t been with that many girls to be honest” 
Sang-chul: “Seriously man..”
Dong-goo: “At least I’m nothing compared to that jerk Min-woo!"
Sang-chul: “True, but still you date a lot of girls, and we both know that you don’t take those dates seriously” 
Dong-goo: “That’s because I’m a busy man, I don’t have time to build a relationship”
Sang-chul looked at him like he's not buying what he just said.
Dong-goo: “And honestly, none of these girls managed to keep me interested”
Sang-chul: “Not since that girl you liked back from high school hahaha”
Dong-goo: “Don’t mention her, please..” 
Sang-chul: “She should see you now after the jaw surgery” he laughed “A handsome general manager.. Oh she’ll hate herself!”
Dong-goo: “You’re enjoying reminding me of those days, Aren't you?”
Sang-chul smiled “A little..”
Sang-chul: “Back to the girls subject, I don’t think you can judge them from the first time you meet them, most girls are shy and confused when they first meet a guy. And they don’t show their real personalities” 
Dong-goo: “How in the hell you know such information?”
“I read a lot of books, you know..” Sang-chul lowered his voice.
 
 
 
 
 
... SL (◕‿◕) ...
 
 
Wanting to have some fresh air, Dong-goo decided to take a coffee break and walk to the coffee shop two blocks away. While he stepped outside the company's entrance he received a phone call from his bank, they asked about some information concerning his credit card. He took out his wallet checking the credit card number, and suddenly, the wallet disappeared from his hand! A thief came out of nowhere and took his wallet in a lightning speed and ran away. Dong-goo stood surprised for a few seconds, before he ran after the thief “Stoooooop!” Dong-goo yelled. The thief recklessly crossed the street, Dong-goo had no other option but to cross the street as well, while some cars stopped and started honking at Dong-goo, slowing him down. Dong-goo followed the thief in the other side of the road, doubting that he can keep up with his speed. "He’s far away now!” Dong-goo thought he couldn't catch him.
 
Running so fast with a feeling of victory, the thief suddenly found himself flying, seeing the street in slow motion before landing heavily on the cold floor.
What actually happened is someone's leg stepped all the sudden in his way to trip him. It was Ji-yoon’s leg! 
 
  • Ji-yoon used to do her morning runs at this walking street, located next to a beautiful park and on the way to her college, she usually parks her motorcycle about 6 km away from the university and starts running. She comes here almost every week, specially when she has late lectures, like today. 
 
The thief tried to move up quickly and reach the wallet that fell few steps away from him. *Baaaaaahm* Ji-yoon's foot knocked him down, then she walked and picked the wallet from the floor.
 
Dong-goo just arrived at the scene after watching it from a distance “Ah.. Ahhhh..” He tried to catch his breath “Thank you!” he looked at Ji-yoon while holding his knees.
Before she can answer him back, Ji-yoon spotted the thief trying to move away “Here..” Ji-yoon threw the wallet at Dong-goo and he caught it. She then moved towards the the thief, stood on one knee on the floor and pulled his shirt in one hand and held her phone in the other hand *snap* she took a picture of him and showed it to him.
“I’m going to let you go now, but if I ever see you stealing again I’m going to show this picture to the police right away. Understand?” 
"Yes.. yes..” the thief nodded, he then stood up and ran away. 
Ji-yoon deleted his photo from her phone, and looked back at Dong-goo with a big smile “That was cool right?” 
Dong-goo seemed a bit confused “Yeah, that was a good show! But don't you think it was I who's supposed to decide to let him go or not?”
“Oh..” Ji-yoon realized that she acted without thinking. 
“Well, since I’m the one who caught him, I think I can let him go” Ji-yoon tilted her head.
“Well, it doesn’t work that way!” Dong-goo tilted his head back at her.
Ji-yoon: “Just be careful next time not to get robbed in the streets, since you can’t run fast”
“What!” Dong-goo got annoyed while Ji-yoon started walking backwards moving away from him “It’s because of my shoes” Dong-goo pointed at his Italian leather shoes. 
Ji-yoon smiled.
“It’s true!” Dong-goo yelled in response. 
“OK” said Ji-yoon while keeping the same smile. 
“I’s an expensive brand, you can’t run fast wearing these shoes” Dong-goo continued explaining. 
“I believe you!” Said Ji-yoon while continuing to with that same smile, she then raised her hand *Bye* and continued her run. 
“Ugh, it’s not worth it!” Dong-goo told himself before crossing the street. 
 
 
 
 
 
... SL (◕‿◕) ...
 
 
“Hey!” Ji-yoon rang Jun-ha after walking out off her college.
Jun-ha: “What’s up?” 
Ji-yoon: “I forgot to talk to you last night about the game”
Jun-ha: “You rewatched it?”
Ji-yoon: “Yeah, I made all the video edits too, How about if we meet Ahjussi today at the team's training?”
Jun-ha: “Umm, sorry I don’t think I can go with you today”
Ji-yoon: “Why?”
Jun-ha: “I promised Eun-hye to help her at the shop after work”
Ji-yoon didn’t say anything.
Jun-ha: “You know, we’ve been away for too long and I’m trying to make it up for her”
Ji-yoon: “Yeah. You should. Go and have fun and don’t worry about anything else this week”
Jun-ha: “Is it OK? I mean we still have to study next week’s opponents” 
Ji-yoon: “Just leave it up to me, I’ll do all the work. Besides, It’s not like Ahjussi and his assistant will take all our notes seriously” she smiled “So you might as well enjoy your time this week, you deserve a break!”  
Jun-ha: “Ah thanks, I don’t know what I would do without you!” 
Ji-yoon: “Who’s your best friend huh? Say it.. Say it.. Say that I’m your best friend!” 
Jun-ha: “How many times you have to force me to say it?” 
Ji-yoon: “I don’t care how many years it will take me, I’ll let you spit those words out eventually” 
Jun-ha laughed “Bye!” 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

... <(ಠ_ಠ)> Glossary ...
 
 
 
Ahjumma: Something you call an older women, equivalent of calling a woman 'Ma'am'.
Ahjussi: Something you call an older man, equivalent of calling a man 'Mister'.
Aigo: An expressin used to describe frustration or annoyance.
Aish: Similar to "Oh crap!" or "Oh no!".
Appa: Dad.
Hyung: What males call an older brother or an older male friend.
Omma: Mom.
Oppa: What females call an older brother or a boyfriend.

 

..