Episode 2 – Jamais Vu

Lee Min's Story - I've Found You

“Jamais vu - It's when you meet the same people or visit places, again and again, but each time is the first. Everybody is always a stranger. Nothing is ever familiar.”  ― Chuck Palahniuk, Choke.

As Min slowly regained consciousness, he felt a hand on his forehead brushing through his hair in rhythmic . The sudden thought of Hyun ran through his body and he felt the urge to get up. He tried to open his eyes and prop up, but an unexpected sharp pain in his abdomen stopped him.

‘Ahh’, Min groaned.

‘Shhh… don’t try to get up’, whispered a familiar hushed voice. It wasn't Hyun’s.

‘So I haven’t died yet’, croaked Min through the sharp pain he couldn’t shake off. The familiar voice gave through a small giggle.

He took a moment to glance around the room before he let go of his strength and relaxed back into the bed. He was in a small room, dimly lit in an orange hue. The room smelt familiar. ‘Was it a hospital?’ he thought.

Min couldn’t see the person’s face but could tell who it was from the sight of their hands. Another shot of pain ran through his torso as if those hands were piercing metal through his skin again. Min squirmed in discomfort, pushing away the hand from his forehead. Lee Joon Young paused.

‘I thought you’d be glad to see your uncle’, he scorned.

‘What makes you think that?’

‘Remember when you were young, when you used to get sick? I was the one to stay up all night by your bed side to take care of you.’ Lee Joon Young gave a sigh. ‘I thought you’d be expecting me’.

‘Ha!’ scoffed Min. Of course he was expecting him. ‘Let’s not waste time here. Where is Hyun?’

Min watched as the resting awkward smile Lee Joon Young always held quickly transformed into a sneer at the mention of his brother’s name. He was now on his feet, heading towards the window. ‘Somewhere very far from here.’

Min felt his body tense up. ‘I said, don’t waste my time! Where is he?’

Lee Joon Young turned to face towards him. ‘Did you think it would be that easy? I saved him from you, boy! Did you think I’d let you find him again just like that? Ha, he finally found you and look at the end result of that? Don’t you remember his expression when he saw you foolishly lying in your own pool of blood? If you want him to live a good life, and if you want to live, the answer is simple. Don’t look for him anymore!’

Min felt his blood rushing through his body, igniting every muscle. Lee Joon Young was challenging him, taunting him! Yet, he couldn’t answer back. A part of him knew what had been said was true.

Lee Joon Young sniggered again. ‘You know I’m right, don’t you?’

‘You should be glad that I am not in the state to kill anyone, yet. You remember my words from that night, don’t you? Well make sure you don’t forget them from now on- You will die from my hands!’

Lee Joon Young’s expression grew into smile. ‘Little boy, you won’t kill me. No- in fact, you can’t kill me. That is, if you ever want to see Hyun again.’

Min fell silent at the mention of his brother’s name. Min turned his head towards the wall, away from the sight of his uncle. His mind was tense and racing with thoughts of his brother.

Lee Joon Young was now fidgeting with the drip on the left side of Min’s bed. Suddenly, Min felt a numbness spreading from his right arm to the rest of his body. Slowly his body became limp and relaxed beyond his control.

Unable to feel his body, Min’s unfinished words slurred out in a fading panic. ‘What’s in the dri-‘

‘Sleep tight, little boy’.

 Min heard the room’s door slam shut as he slipped back into unconsciousness.