Jinjja?! (Really?!)

SINCE 1765
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

#since1765

 

 

***



Village Council Room
City of Jeonju - North Jeolla Province

 

It was a windy weekday morning in the Hongil Village of Jeonju. Eleven of the most respected elders in the city were gathered in the community council room to welcome visitors from the capital. Led by the former Mayor Kim Seungil, the village elders prepared a rather lavish late morning brunch for the twenty-two expected Seoul locals, including Mayor Kim’s son and grandchild.

 

Kim Taeyeon, the mayor’s eldest granddaughter, stood up from the floor of the council room, right after giving her respectful bow of acknowledgment to the elders. She greeted the eleven Jeonju village elders, as well as the ten Seoul village elders that her grandfather invited. Everyone, except Taeyeon and her father, were dressed in traditional hanboks, head dresses, and shoes. This made her feel a bit embarrassed, as she appeared unprepared for the event. She sat down beside her father, the only elder who wasn’t a member of the council. After the long polite greetings, everyone has settled down around the long council table, with Mayor Kim on the head.

 

“Thank you, my brothers and sisters from Gyeonggi, for accepting our invitation here in North Jeolla,” Grandpa Kim opened, addressing the entire council, his son, and Taeyeon. “Even though we are happy that you are here, we are also saddened, because the republic is once again in grave peril.”

 

Of course. Sigh.

 

Taeyeon stopped herself from shaking her head out of skepticism. Today was the day she would kneel before the elders and officially decline her role in The Great Pact. As her father said, she needed to be brave enough to face the council and apologize for her disobedience. Her heart was thumping, because each and every face in the council looked stern and old-fashioned.


“Another war has come to our great nation,” Grandpa Kim continued, and he gave a short but concise introduction about the 1950 Korean War, as well as the current events between the North and the South. “The signs tell us that if not stopped, this war would bring more bloodshed and despair to our land and our people.”

 

Kim Jongun couldn't have picked a better time. Taeyeon silently thought.

 

The twenty-one village elders looked as if they really bought in the grave dangers of the signs. As Grandpa Kim enumerated all the signs that have happened (the disappearance of MH370, the Nepal earthquake, the appearance of Mars in the sky, etc.), some of the grandmothers even wept. The grandfathers, on the other hand, all looked and spoke so devotedly about the problems and the solutions.

 

I’m the only young adult in this table. What in the world am I doing here, listening to all these superstitions?

 

“It is time for the sacrifice to be made,” Grandpa Kim finally declared, which earned him the collective gasp and agreement around the table. He then looked on his right, where Taeyeon was sat. Taeyeon’s heart beat faster as she knew what was coming next. “Here beside me is the heiress of the North Jeolla province, and one of our sacrificial lambs. Born and raised in the proud City of Jeonju, please meet my granddaughter, Kim Taeyeon.”

 

Clap. Clap. The elders gave a communal and openhearted welcome, and Taeyeon stood up to bow. Everyone was excited and genuinely delighted to see her.

 

“Good morning grandparents, uncles and aunties. My name is Kim Taeyeon. I hope everyone is happy and healthy,” she said with a heartfelt smile. Although she highly doubted everything about The Great Pact, she grew up with so much respect for the village elders of Jeonju.

 

“Our dear Taeyeon is very beautiful.”
 


“We are very thankful for your bravery.”
 


“Thank you very much Kim Taeyeon.”
 


“The gods will bless you for your sacrifice.”

 

Even the visiting elders from the Gyeonggi province shared a piece of their mind to Taeyeon. When she remembered that in their company were the Seoul locals, she suddenly wondered why she was the sole young adult in the gathering.
 


“Brother, but where is the heir of the Gyeonggi province?” one of the Jeonju elders asked the old man on the opposite end of the table. Taeyeon knew for sure that this was the leader of the Gyeonggi province village council.
 


Yeah, where is my dear fiance? Taeyeon also wondered.

 

She was a little resentful that she had to tolerate this meeting, while the other supposed heir was absent. Did he already rebel against this pact? This man would surely be surprised once he found out that his fiancé was SNSD's leader, Kim Taeyeon. What if he changes his mind once he finds out who I am?!

 

Amidst her usual humility, Taeyeon couldn't help but fear that the heir might not back down on the arranged marriage because of the mere fact that she was SNSD’s leader. No way! I am here to present my counter offer to the elders, no matter what that other guy decide!
 


“We apologize for the inconvenience,” answered the Gyeonggi Province leader, who was apparently named Kwon Seunggil. “My grandson is not here yet. In the meantime, please meet his father, my son, Kwon Younghwan.”

 

Everyone greeted the younger elder on Grandpa Kwon’s right. So this is my arranged father-in-law.
 


“Good morning, elders. My name is Kwon Younghwan. I am pleased to be here, and I hope you are all warm and well. I genuinely apologize for my son's tardiness. The nature of his job requires him to be on call 24/7. But he assured me last night that he will try his very best to be here on time.”
 


How about me? I'm in the middle of my comeback and I am here Who does this man think he is? A doctor? A soldier? A politician? Taeyeon felt even more offended of this other man. It was very disrespectful to arrive late when a room full of 70 to 80 year-olds were waiting.
 


“And what is your son's name?” inquired one of the Jeonju grandmothers.
 


“My son's name is Kwon--” But Taeyeon’s grandfather coughed beside her, and so she wasn’t able to hear the young man’s first name.
 


Huh, tardy Mr. Kwon. What could you possibly do that your time is more important than mine? Taeyeon was already decided to hate him if he did not turn out to be a doctor or a soldier.

 

The elders discussed the history and the current events for a little bit, and she was glad that for a moment, The Great Pact wasn’t even mentioned. She got bored very quickly, until the grandmothers noticed her. They then began to talk about her beautiful clothes, her colorful hair, and everything that was wonderful about her. While the grandfathers exchanged thoughts about the political events happening, the elderly women doted on Taeyeon, like little girls playing with their Barbie dolls.

 

After a few more minutes, they heard Grandpa Kwon say, “Pardon me, brother. Can you please excuse me and my son for a little bit? I'm afraid there is something urgent we shall discuss.”
 


“Of course,” Grandpa Kim answered, and the Kwon father and son stood up and took a walk outside the room. The table began to fill with buzz from the other elders.

 

“What could possibly be so important that the Gyeonggi brothers had to leave?”
 


“Maybe their heir is not coming.”
 


“Who is this person I'm supposed to marry anyway?” Taeyeon asked, whispering in his father's ear.
 


“His name is Kwon Jiyong, and he's 28 years old,” answered Mr. Kim, reading from the letter his father sent him a week ago.



“Wh-what?! Jinjja? Are you sure?” Taeyeon questioned, her heart dropping for one second.

 

The name brought her great shock. She has only ever known one person named Kwon Jiyong, and it was the last person she’d think would be involved in these shaman hoo-has. No way. There’s just no way. It must be another person. But for some reasons, she was inclined to believe it was that Kwon Jiyong, and she was just so dumbfounded she felt a little weak and perturbed. Her already heavy heart thumped in the speed of light, and she noticed herself almost panicking, nauseous.
 


“Why, do you know him?” wondered her father, surprised that she suddenly turned pale. “Are you okay?”
 


Everyone knows THE Kwon Jiyong, duh? But... no way. No freaking way. It can't be. It just can’t! She composed herself upon hearing her father’s suspicion. She shook her head and pretended to be calm. She swallowed hard and breathed a sigh, answering, “I’m fine. I just suddenly felt hungry. Uhm… so what does this Kwon Jiyong do?”
 


“Your grandfather said he's a famous artist.” Taeyeon’s stomach plunged even lower. The Kwon Jiyong she knew could very well be categorized as an artist. He was a well-known musician, after all.
 


“A-artist? What kind of artist?” Please don't be a singer. Please. Please just don't be.
 


“I heard he's either a painter or a sculptor. I'm really not sure. I just know that he currently has an ongoing art exhibit in Seoul.”



Phew. Thank God. Taeyeon felt an enormous relief upon hearing this. Suddenly, her stomach’s knot untightened, and her breathing became freer. What a mess it would have been if it was that Kwon Jiyong. Once she was out of panic mode, she became much more aware of her surroundings. The elders were still talking about the Kwons.
 


“Does he not want to make a sacrifice for our country?”
 


“Is he not as brave as our dear Taeyeon?”

 

The room’s general consensus was that the Kwons’ son was not coming. Taeyeon’s initial hunch sounded realer and realer by the minute: the heir of the Gyeonggi Province beat her to declining the arrange marriage.
 


Huh. How dare he leave me hanging first. Excuse me mister, I don't want to marry you too, FYI.
 

 


***



Expressway 25
City of Nonsan - South Chungcheong Province
 


A hundred miles away from the council room of Hongil, Jeonju, Kwon Jiyong was cruising at 80 mph along the highway. His once blasting music was put to a stop as he talked to his father via his car’s entertainment system. Today, he opted to use his humbler toy, a 2014 Maserati, because it was not as recognizable to the public as his Lamborghinis. Jiyong didn’t want anyone to know he was going to Jeonju and join a shaman ritual.

 

He wished more than ever that his music was on. His father’s voice was definitely not pleasant on the ear.

 

“I can't believe you are embarrassing our family like this. An entire village is waiting for you here. You know how important this is!” Father Kwon screamed through the car speakers. He went on and on with his lecture, and it took a long time before he even allowed Jiyong to answer for himself.
 


“Dad, I am just an hour behind. I will be there, like I promised. Why are you being so hard on me about this? You also knew from the very beginning how I feel about this arrangement.”
 


“I know that, but you also know how specific your grandfather is about time. All we needed was for you to be here by 11am. I am not expecting you to miraculously participate in this pact, but at least come on time! I'm really disappointed in you Kwon Jiyong.”

 

His father’s last sentence echoed through Jiyong’s mind.

 

I'm really disappointed in you Kwon Jiyong.

 

I'm really disappointed in you Kwon Jiyong.

 

I'm really disappointed in you Kwon Jiyong.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter