Silmang Iya! (I’m Disappointed In You!)

SINCE 1765
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 24 – Silmang Iya! (I’m Disappointed In You!)

 

#since1765

 

*

 

Village Garden Park

City of Jeonju, North Jeolla Province

 

"If I break up with Audrie... will you break up with Baekhyun?"

 

At first, Kim Taeyeon's instincts told her to feel giddy. After all, the man of her dreams (a candidate, at least), was already telling her words she'd been wanting to hear for the longest time. She looked at him with such a dumbstruck face, surprised and speechless. His words echoed in her mind, and while it did, it only became clearer to her.

 

Kwon Jiyong's proposal wasn't romantic, to say the least. It was a condition. The word if didn't have a place in her romance vocabulary. But candidate Prince Charming used just that word. I’m disappointed in you, honey.

 

"You can really end a six-year relationship just so I would breakup with Baekhyun?" she asked, finally ending the close-to-five-minute silence.

 

It has to be more than that. Tell me you are my Prince Charming, and I'll do it. Don't give me a conditional offer.

 

But someone's shouting voice caused their moment to end. From the end of the street, Kim Jiwoong shouted, "Jiyong, Taeyeon, come back home! The Kwons and the elders have arrived. It's time for the family dinner."

 

Frustrated that the moment got disturbed, Taeyeon immediately looked back at Jiyong to put a proper end to their exchange.

 

"If I breakup with Baekhyun, and if you break up with Audrie, what would be next for us?"

 

Come on Ji, I'm already laying the path for you. Say the right words so you can pass the test.

 

Kim Taeyeon wasn't about to give up her romantic fantasies, as advised by the very man she was currently testing. Part of her ideals was a man's straightforward honesty, unconditional love, unselfish kindness... Being thoughtful and sweet was just one part of the equation. Kwon Jiyong still had to display a lot to even meet her ideal Prince Charming.

 

"Yah love birds, hurry up!" egged Kim Jiwoong, yelling louder.

 

"So will you do it?" asked Jiyong, as if in a hurry. It was clear that the man wanted to end properly as well.

 

"Will you?" Why do I have to go first? Taeyeon wasn't backing down. Like Jiyong said, she deserved someone who would meet her ideals. "Break up wuth Audrie. Once you do, then I'd consider your proposition."

 

I guess you are not Prince Charming material yet. The question was, would Kwon Jiyong ever be? If yes, when?

 

Meanwhile, Jiyong was actively talking to himself too. He wanted assurance that there wouldn't be anyone else to compete with. That the woman he'd offer his heart to wouldn't boss him around anymore, like Audrie did. He wanted the real thing. Someone who was positive he was the only one. Someone who would gladly take him, no questions asked, no conditions posed.

 

You said you love him. Then how can I feel secure when you’re still in love with someone else? And an idiot at that. I’m disappointed in you, honey.

 

"Hurry up you two!" Jiwoong insisted.

 

They had no choice but to cut their discussion. Holding one another's hand grudgingly, they walked back to the house. The dinner prevented them from having a private moment. The traditions of keeping apart the bride and the groom before any ceremony also put their conversation hanging.

 

The night ended, and their propositions didn't have a fairy tale ending.

 

*

 

Village Town Center

City of Jeonju, North Jeolla Province

 

"Please give a round of applause to the heir of Gyeonggi, Kwon Jiyong, and the heiress of North Jeolla, Kim Taeyeon," announced Grandfather Kim to the hundreds of villagers gathered before the stage.

 

Today was the Ceremony of the Good News. It was a public ceremony that aimed to announce the sacrifice to the whole world. Everyone in the Kims' hometown was invited, and the couple and their families were donning traditional clothing for the rituals.

 

It was to be another two-hour event, starting with the send-off of the birds to the gods. They carried letters and photos that contained memories and retellings of the Kwons and Kims' sacrifice. The couple watched as the doves flew away, getting smaller and smaller as they reached far. When they looked down from the sky, their eyes met. They gave each other a small smile, all while telling themselves of their disappointment of the other for holding back.

 

Jiyong-ah... are you really holding back... or do you just don't like me that much?

 

Goodness Taeyeon... Are you really still in love with that man?

 

They didn't take their eyes off one another, even if they were on other ends of the stage, while Grandpa Kwon declared, "Together, they should unite as husband and wife, and sacrifice their lives to the gods. In exchange, the gods of the moon, the sun, and the stars, shall bless our land and people with peace and prosperity."

 

The villagers applauded the good news, and the couple were ushered towards one another. Once they were face-to-face, their audience cheered and cat-called. Jiyong held out his hand to her, and Taeyeon took it. While holding hands, they turned to their sides to finally present themselves to the villagers as a couple for The Great Pact. They were smiling, waving, and thanking the people.

 

That day, that part of the world just found out that SNSD's Kim Taeyeon and Big Bang's G-dragon would tie the knot for The Great Republic.

 

Together, everyone cheered Daehanminguk, Manse!

 

The village dance came. It was a complex group dance that involved a fast-tempo traditional music and switching of partners. All the bachelors and bachelorettes in town were included in the dance that was led by the engaged couple. Jiyong and Taeyeon started with different partners, and the Dance of Prayer shall end with them finally meeting and dancing together, alone.

 

"Don't get too close to that village boy," Jiyong screamed at Taeyeon when they got a little close, dancing with other partners.

 

In another instance of their proximity while still dancing with others, Taeyeon yelled, "The village girl obviously likes you."

 

"You are so jealous, honey," teased Jiyong, in yet another instance of them meeting within earshot.

 

"You're the one who's jealous!" retorted Taeyeon. Just then, their respective partners let them go.

 

When the two looked around, they saw that all the dance participants have left the spotlight, and all that were left were the two of them. They looked at each other nervously. That's when they heard Grandpa Kim recite another prayer and tell them to partner up and dance. After the ritual, a slow music played, and before the entire village, Kwon Jiyong and Kim Taeyeon danced with one another.

 

For a long time, the couple enjoyed the moment in silence. They danced harmoniously, as if they've perfected such waltz since forever. It wasn't even a waltz, yet that's how it felt like for them. The way Taeyeon bounced, the way Jiyong twirled her around, the way their body moved and jived with each other and with the music, it was the most romantic waltz either have ever danced.

 

The waltz was never ending, because it felt like they've been dancing for a long time. Yet both were thankful, because they wanted nothing else but to dance with one another just like that.

 

"What if they recognized us?" Taeyeon asked, when the mellow music finally called for a more relaxed choreography. She also felt the need to finally converse when other couples have joined the dance floor.

 

"Don't worry, they are bound by the gods' commands. They wouldn't dare talk about GD and Taeyeon getting married," assured Jiyong, pulling her waist closer.

 

They danced in silence again, looking at one another with a smile. Later, they noticed that their parents and grandparents began dancing too. Jiwoong and Dami were playfully dancing, just like close siblings. Hayeon was being entertained by three of Jiyong's cousins same age as her. They watched their families dance together happily.

 

Taeyeon suddenly lost the will to continue waltzing. She stopped, and together, Jiyong and she sat down on their table. When they've settled, she continued observing how close and how happy their families have become. The parents and grandparents even switched partners, and it was apparent how much the elders have grown close.

 

"I'm scared of what's going to happen when we finally tell our elders the truth," Taeyeon quietly muttered.

 

"Don't think about that yet," Jiyong said, putting his hand above hers on the table. "There's one more couple missing to complete the sacrifice. Who knows if that couple is you and me."

 

This did not sit well with Taeyeon. She took back her hand and scoffed at the man, saying, "How can you even think that when you and Kiko just got back together?"

 

Jiyong was shocked at the woman's rather antagonistic reaction. He looked her in the eye with all his sincerity, and replied, "Like I told you, if you break up with Baekhyun, I'd leave Audrie if I could marry you.

 

‘If.’ You use the word ‘if’ a little too much.

 

She was tired of fighting, so instead of sneering, she just put on a game face.

 

"Don't joke about these things easily. I might believe you."

 

"Best believe, Kim Taeyeon. The gods have written the stories in the stars..."

 

The man looked as if ready to say just the right words, and Taeyeon became expectant. Suddenly her heart hung hopefully.

 

"Do you really..."

 

"...if our marriage would prevent you from ending in Baekhyun's arms, I'd marry you in a heartbeat."

 

Just like that, her heart sank. She heard the conditions once again, and her stomach knotted in disappointment. Painful disappointment.

 

So you'd only marry me because you hate Baekhyun, not because you really want me.

 

"So, will you marry me, Kim Taeyeon?" asked Jiyong.

 

"In your dreams," Taeyeon bitterly answered, pissed at the man's constant misleading attempts.

 

Kwon Jiyong was about to answer back, but the dance ended and the music stopped. They watched Grandfather Kim take the microphone again. The couple thought another prayer would be recited, or perhaps another ritual would commence. But to their surprise, the elder's next words brought an unexpected turn of events.

 

"The wedding of Kwon Jiyong and Kim Taeyeon is already set. Please mark the day of September 28, 2015. During this year's second night of the Thanksgiving holiday, we will celebrate the Ceremony of The Sacrificial Unity right here in the beautiful city of Jeonju."

 

*

 

Seoul Garden Residences

Town of Gangnam, Gyeonggi Province

 

When Tiffany Hwang checked the video surveillance of the visitor who rung her doorbell, she felt a mixture of disappointment and hope. Disappointment, because Choi Seunghyun disobeyed her wish not to see each other anymore. Yet hopeful, because the man's presence could only mean a possible rekindling.

 

Apprehensively, she opened her door that revealed the sorrowful, yet very handsome, face of Choi Seunghyun.

 

"I thought I made it clear that I can't do this anymore," she welcomed with a poker face.

 

"But you said to talk to you when I'm ready to talk about my..." Seunghyun gestured a quotation mark. "...huge collection of women."

 

"Don't air quote me, it's insulting."

 

"Can I come in?" the man asked, forcing a small smile that only exacerbated the sorry on his face.

 

"If you're really going to talk, then feel free," Tiffany answered indifferently. She left the door open, but turned her back on the man.

 

To her delight, she heard him enter and close the door. She made her way to her living room, and when she sat on one of her small couches, she watched the visitor shyly find a place to sit. It was Seunghyun's first time visiting her solo apartment. Awkwardly, the man just sat on the big sofa, adjacent to where Tiffany was seated.

 

"I thought about this really hard," Seunghyun started, sounding nervous and looking shy.

 

"On one hand, I wasn't ready to remember, let alone talk about, that part of my life. On the other hand, I missed you so bad, and I don't think I can bear us not talking or drifting apart. So I asked myself, am I ready to share with you my past just so I won't lose you? The answer is yes. So Tiffany Hwang, here it goes..."

 

The man played with his fingers, breathed in and out many times, and had multiple failed attempts to start talking. Even if the AC cooled the house, he was sweating badly. It was very painful for Tiffany to watch his misery. Her concern for his anxiety overwhelmed her curiosity of his past.

 

"Hey... do you need some wine?" she offered.

 

"I g-guess."

 

She stood up and went to the bar, quickly filling up two glasses for them both. She came back to the living room with the wine, handing one to TOP.

 

"I'm sorry," she said, sitting down beside him. "I know this is hard on you, but this is just as hard for me. I can't date someone I don't know in fear of getting cheated on again. Not one, not two, but all three of my ex-boyfriends cheated on me. I hope you understand why I'm being careful, or why I'm being such a to you."

 

"I would never cheat on you," TOP quickly answered, raising his glass towards Tiffany.

 

She toasted with TOP's glass, and replied, "I really want to believe that. But twenty women..."

 

"I was with my last girlfriend for two and a half years, and to say that I loved her very much would be an understatement," Choi Seunghyun began his account, with much difficulty.

 

He drank the entire content of his wine in one gulp,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter