Of verses and bible study (please love me) 1/1

Of verses and bible study (please love me)

 

 

 

Jisoo is not quite sure how it happened. It just sort of became routine and while Jisoo doesn't really remember when all of this started, he's used to it by now- the brunette from next door always there at the same time, right before he leaves for bible study, grinning coyly- as he says it, the same thing he always says, "please download my mixtape."

 

"Okay" He says, the same thing he always says actually, but he never follows through.

 

"Okay, cool" The younger grins and it's all pearly white teeth, his black jersey is about three times two big and Jisoo always wondered how he managed. "My Soundcloud profile is-"

 

"DopeVernon? Right?"

 

"So you did listen to it!"

 

He jumps, startled slightly as he fumbles to lock his front door because Hansol's voice has a tendency to get a pitch or two higher when he's excited, he's come to find in the short time of knowing the other, also the brunette is much closer than before and he can smell whatever cologne the other has thrown on carelessly.

 

"Uh no- actually, I keep forgetting. I'm really sorry-" Jisoo is not quite sure if he's really sorry or not but they've had this conversation before, multiple times actually, and this is supposed to be the part where the younger will wave him off, forgiving him with that same coy smile before telling him to have fun at church, whatever that means, but when he looks up from where he's finally locked the door, the younger's expression is frighteningly blank as he holds out a black cd case to the elder.

 

"Oh" Jisoo mumbles, because that was unexpected.

 

"The tape is really only available on my Soundcloud, but I made this for you." The younger explains, scratching unconsciously at the skin of his neck, smile sheepish as he practically shoves the mixtape at the elder, and is he blushing? Jisoo squints.

 

"Thank you, Hansol. Really, you didn't have to go through all this trouble-" He starts but Hansol is already waving him off.

 

"It's no trouble, Jisoo. I promise, besides, I like you."

 

'Oh' Jisoo thinks and the way the brunette is smirking at him doesn't help much either but the elder is almost sure the younger didn't mean it in that way.

 

"I like you too?" It comes out as more of a question but Hansol laughs all the same before shaking his head, as if the prospect of Jisoo actually liking him is ridiculous.

 

"Sure you do. Anyway, have fun at bible study." Is all he says before the younger is retreating, back to the brick house next door.

 

Jisoo stands there then, momentarily put off by the change in their routinely encounter, but a text from Jeonghan, asking him where in the H-e double hockey sticks (Jeonghan doesn't curse, really) he was, snaps him back into reality and he climbs into his truck, a little worn and beaten but running all the same. He glances at the tape before opening it and all the cd says is, "To Jisoo from Hansol", but it's the note tucked neatly under it that really catches his attention, but another text from Jeonghan has him shoving it in his pocket for later, slipping the mixtape in and turning the volume up before pulling out of his drive way.

 

Hansol's mixtape is a mixture of English and Korean, but Jisoo is not really surprised since the younger had mentioned moving from there. It's good he thinks, and he's no rap prodigy, but he thinks Hansol has made quite a nice compilation of songs.

 

"Lotto" starts playing when he pulls into the church parking lot and he thinks it's just his luck that Jeonghan happens to stroll up, the church kids in tow when Hansol's voice comes blasting through the speakers of the truck.

 

" what they'd be talkin bout

(the they talkin bout)"

 

Jeonghan looks mildly mortified, ushering the kids back into the church as they giggle and snicker, while Jisoo fumbles, face flushed in embarrassed, quickly turning his car off.

 

"Jisoo, what the Freaky Friday are you listening too?" Jeonghan doesn't curse and Jisoo tries not to laugh at his poor attempt not too.

 

"My neighbor’s mixtape" It sounds ridiculous, really, as evident by the way Jeonghan's nose crinkles as he regards him wearily, but the Jisoo just shrugs and they leave it at that.

 

Bible study goes eventfully, even after the small incident, and Jisoo is already climbing back into his truck, Jeonghan and the kids seeing him off, waving brightly from the church as he pulls off. He listens to Hansol's mixtape on the way home, again, and though it's his second time listening, he finds that he still remembers some of the words, so he raps along, a little off beat and soft voiced, but he feels pretty good about his attempts nonetheless.

 

Surprisingly, Hansol is nowhere in sight when the elder pulls into his driveway, and he's a little more than confused because Jisoo knows their routine, and this is the part where Hansol will greet him, ask him how bible study was, and try to get him to go out for pizza (which Jisoo will politely decline). However, he notes as he puts the car in park, there is no sign of the curly haired brunette. He frowns, glancing over to the younger’s house, but there's no one in sight. Sighing, and much ready to give up, the slip of paper from before catches his eye and he's already unfolding it and reading. All it says is, “Track #9” and Jisoo feels a flush coming on because how did Hansol know he would keep replaying the beginning songs before listening to the whole thing? He turns to the requested track, turning the volume up as Hansol’s voice sounds, unsure and hesitant.

 

“Uh- this track isn’t really a rap, so you can skip it if you want, unless your name is Hong Jisoo-… Jisoo, my patient friend, who always puts up with me when I annoy him for fun. Thank you for being my only friend when I moved over here. It hasn't been easy but you've always been kind, which is why I like you… a lot. Which is also why you should go for pizza with me Friday, my treat!”

 

Jisoo finds himself smiling unconsciously because Hansol is a dork. An idea hits him and he's already dialing Seungcheol's number, who picks up on the fourth ring.

 

"Jisoo, what's up man?"

 

"Hey, can you help me make a mixtape?"