We Made Cake!!

Our Perfectly Imperfect Family

Soft music and even softer breathing filled a cheap Seoul studio apartment. Seokjin slid down the couch in the living room, more like, merged with the couch in the living room, in an exhausted form of himself. When his body connected with dirty polyester comfort, it also met with a rogue pacifier he thought he threw out days ago. He chunked it somewhere near the bookshelf in the corner because he was too tired to actually put it away. Nap time was valuable Seokjin-time, not throw-away-pacifiers time.

Seokjin tried to blend into the couch, humming softly to the Chopin playing in the background. He found that classic music was a much better tool to get four children to sleep than loud gangster rap, despite what their father thinks. He let his eyes flutter closed as he listened for the tale-tell signal of a whine coming from one of the other rooms.

Seokjin thinks he slept for what must have been a record-breaking forty-five minutes before he was awoken by a subtle shoulder shaking.

"Daddy Jin," Hoseok, their three-year-old, said, his voice still sleepy.

"Yes, baby?" Seokjin asked, his eyes still closed.

"I went potty," Hoseok said.

"Did you?" Seokjin asked, a little pride in his tired voice, before it dawned on him. "Where did you go potty, Hoseok?"

"Pants," Hoseok answered, and he looked as though he may cry.

"It's okay, baby. Come on," Seokjin said, and he took Hoseok's little hand in his own and led him to the bathroom to wash up, all the way cheering him up so he wouldn't cry or wake his brothers. Hoseok's smile made Seokjin remember why having four children was a good idea. And that he could always nap later.

-

"Is there a reason my son has on Hawaiian shorts and a Lone Ranger pajama top?" Namjoon asked the second he edged his way into the door, home from work, and saw Hoseok curled up asleep on Seokjin's lap.

"Well, our son had a little accident in his other clothes, and after we got him all cleaned up, he wanted to dress himself," Seokjin explained in a hushed whisper so as not to wake up the sleeping lump of baby in his lap.

A grin spread across Namjoon's face, and he set down beside Seokjin on the couch. He caressed little Hoseok's hair before leaning over to kiss Seokjin on the cheek.

"Is everyone else asleep?" Namjoon asked.

"Yep," Seokjin nodded. He tried to schedule naptime just a little bit before Namjoon came home so that he could have a mintue to himself before he became covered in children.

"How'd we do today?" Namjoon asked, and Seokjin knew he was talking about the kids.

"Yoongi's decided that he doesn't want to start kindergarten next week. He says he's too old for school. And Hoseok was playing daddy to the twins today, trying to teach them how to walk right, because Taehyung likes to just stand in one place and Jimin likes to bumble around and knock into things," Seokjin explained, hands rubbing soothingly down Hoseok's back.

Namjoon chuckled low, his dimples showing, before he spoke, "Sounds like a lot went on today."

"Sure did. So how was your day?" Seokjin asked.

"Trainees are a pain in the . Our children act better, and two of them are only one year old," Namjoon shook his head ran his tired fingers through his hair. Seokjin patted him soothingly on the shoulder.

"That bad, huh?" he asked.

"You have no idea. Who told me becomming a talent coach would be a good idea?" Namjoon asked.

"You did," Seokjin reminded him, and he laughed softly.

"At least I have you around to keep me honest," Namjoon smiled, and Hoseok chose that moment to begin to stir.

"Hey, baby," Seokjin said softly as Hoseok's eyes began to open.

"Hey, Daddy Jin," he smiled soflty.

"Hey, buddy," Namjoon grinned at him.

"Hey, Daddy Joon," Hoseok said, and suddenly he had turned over in Seokjin's lap and was hugging Namjoon's neck.

Namjoon laughed and kissed his son on the cheek. He lifted him into the air, and Hoseok giggled. As if on cue, Yoongi, the oldest, trudged into the living room, pulling his blanket behind him as he came. He stood in front of Namjoon, arms out, demanding a hug, and Namjoon, of course gave in, with Hoseok still wrapped around his neck.

Seokjin took that moment as an opportunity to check up on the twins, who were just waking up at that moment.

"Hey, babies," Seokjin cooed at them, and Jimin's eyes widened as though Seokjin was the most magical thing he had ever seen. Taehyung was not as impressed.

"Up," Taehyung commanded, lifting his arms up towards Seokjin. Seokjin laughed and scooped Taehyung up in one arm and Jimin in the other and carried them into the living room.

"Daddy Jin! They're supposed to be walking, remember?" Hoseok scolded him when he brought the twins in to see Namjoon.

"Taehyung wanted to be carried, and I can't say no to that face," Seokjin said, and he rubbed noses with Taehyung.

Hoseok puffed his cheeks up and Namjoon patted him on the head. Seokjin set the twins on Namjoon's lap before taking his place next to him on the couch as Yoongi climbed over onto his lap.

"What's for dinner?" Namjoon asked, and Hoseok and Yoongi began bouncing excitedly.

"We made cake!" the boys said unison.

"So we're having cake for dinner?" Namjoon asked mischeiviously.

"No!" Taehyung yelled, out of nowhere, causing his fathers to laugh.

"It's for after dinner!"Yoongi said, ignoring his youngest brother.

"No!" Taehyung said again.

"Taehyung says we're not having cake at all," Namjoon said, and he tickled Taehyung's belly, causing the boy to squeal.

"Taehyung's lying!" Hoseok insisted.

"Not!" Taehyung responded back to him.

"Yes you are! We're having cake!" Yoongi argued.

Taehyung shook his head.

"Since Taehyung says no, I guess we aren't having any cake," Seokjin shrugged in defeat.

"Daddies!" the oldest two yelled in exasperated unision.

"Sorry, boys," Namjoon said sadly, their faces fell.

"But, we worked so hard on it," Yoongi said.

"And it looks so yummy," Hoseok added.

Namjoon considered this for a minute.

"Well, I guess we could have some, if Taehyung says it's okay," Namjoon said, smiling.

"Come on Taehyung," Yoongi said.

"Can we have cake?" Seokjin asked his youngest son.

"Cake?" Jimin asked his twin.

"Yes!" Taehyung exclaimed, and the two oldest boys broke into excited cheers, leaping off of the couch and tugging on their fathers' hands towards the kitchen, towards the cake.

"Hold on, boys. We have to eat dinner first, and then cake," Seokjin reminded them.

"Well let's eat dinner then," Yoongi said, and Seokjin laughed before pulling the boy up to ride on his shoulders, which he loved.

They all stumbled into the kitchen as they normally tended to, they were a stumbly family. The oldest boys were sat in their seats at the table while the twins were strapped into their high chairs. Namjoon grabbed six plates, four cups, two sippy cups, and little silverware for all of them, because they had misplaced their adult-sized silverware long ago. Seokjin scooped food onto plates, and tiny one-year-old hands flew into their food, while older three-year-old and four-year-old hands were more sophisticated and used their Spiderman spoons and forks to eat their food. They knew they had to eat all of it before they got to eat their cake, and it was better to eat slow and eat like a grown-up than to eat too quick.

When everyone was finished eating and the twins were through throwing applesauce, it was time to clean up. The oldest boys stood by the sink and helped Seokjin wash and dry the dishes while Namjoon scrubbed leftover bits of whatever off of the twins' faces. After chores were done and everyone was clean, it was time for cake. Seokjin pulled out of the microwave it had been sitting in and set it on the table.

The cake itself was (probably) vanilla, but the icing all over it was a combination of chocolate, vanilla, and a blue icing in zig-zagged lines that Seokjin isn't quite sure where the boys found it. There were pink sprinkles and blue sprinkles, sugar sprinkles and shaped sprinkles, sprinkles, sprinkles, sprinkles. And written on top of the cake (with Seokjin's help) was "We love you, Daddies" with several icing hearts peppered about it. Namjoon looked at Seokjin, and back at the cake, and back at Seokjin, and Seokjin just gave him a defeated "you're the one who decided to get me pregnant" smile.

"What do you think?" Yoongi asked Namjoon, stars in his always-sleepy eyes.

"Yeah? Isn't it pretty," Hoseok pushed Namjoon for an answer.

"No!" Taehyung answered in his father's stead.

"Now, Taehyung, that wasn't very nice," Seokjin scolded.

"Nice!" Jimin giggled.

"The cake is lovely, boys. I can't wait to eat it," Namjoon assured them, even though he wasn't entirely sure where the icing ended and the cake began.

The oldest boys hooped and hollered for a minute before Seokjin pulled out the paper plates they reserved for dessert because they were too flimsy to handle hot foods. He cut everyone a slice, even Taehyung, and they all began to eat.

"The cake is delicious, boys," Namjoon beamed.

"Excellent job," Seokjin praised, and the two little boys lit up.

"Yes!" Taehyung shouted as he shoved another piece of cake in his mouth.

"Even Taehyung likes it," Yoongi said, quite proud of himself.

"Now he just needs to learn how to walk right and then I'll start to like him," Hoseok said.

"Hoseok, you apologize right now," Seokjin scolded.

"That was very mean, Hoseok," Namjoon said.

"Mean!" Jimin said, and stuck his tongue out at Hoseok.

"I'm sorry," Hoseok grumbled.

"Thank you, and don't say it again," Seokjin said as he reached for a napkin to wipe faces.

Hoseok nodded.

Pretty soon, it was time to put cake away, and wipe crumbs off of the table and high chairs, and as the boys were ushered into the living room, their fathers considered that dinner another success.

-

Later in the night, as sleepy eyes began to close and bodies were being carried to their beds, Yoongi insisted on staying up to prove that he was, indeed, too old to go to school next week. Seokjin had switched it to the news, because, 'Old people watch the news, Yoongi. We don't watch cartoons'. The oldest boy was trying his hardest to wrap his young mind around the headlines on the screen and the drone of the anchors, but his eyelids were getting too heavy to keep open, and his head drooped onto Seokjin's shoulder. He was out like a light.

Seokjin carried him to bed, followed by Namjoon, who both tucked him in and his kissed his cheek before leaving his room and retiring to their own.

"I love you," Namjoon told Seokjin as the older man was changing into a giant tshirt with a (hopefully) chocolate pudding stain on it.

"I love you, too," Seokjin giggled, climbing into bed next to Namjoon and kissing him on the temple.

They lied there in silence for a while, sleep weighing down their eyes, fatigue settling in their bones.

"Our kids are something else, aren't they?" Namjoon asked, turning to look at Seokjin, his beautiful, beautiful Seokjin.

"They sure are," Seokjin laughed, and his hand grasped for Namjoon's underneath the covers.

"Hey, let's have another," Namjoon said suddenly, and Seokjin turned to look at him as if he had grown three legs on top of his head.

"Are you crazy?" Seokjin asked him, and he grinned.

"I might be," he grinned, his dimples, the dimples that Seokjin adored, appeared on his face in the darkness.

Seokjin laughed just before giving him a kiss that might have been just a little too heated for nine o'clock in the evening.

"And I just might be crazy enough to go along with you."