fairytale;

Once Upon A Bookshelf

Legends: Namjoo's POV || Sanghyuk's POV

A/N: No further proofread besides the POV's. I'm too lazy to reread, so I'm hoping there aren't that much typos and grammatical errors. Please excuse me. Enjoy the first part! {edit: Added a cute gif from VIXXCHOOL video that I have been waiting for yay!}

 


 

 

"I don't get why he's so popular in the book club when there's a lot of other popular-worthy book club members." she sighed

 

Her name is Namjoo, she's part of the speech club. People think she speak too well to not become the president but she opposes the idea because she thinks it'll just gain her too much unwanted attention—she obviously hates it. People who gets too much attention just because others think they should claim and deserve the spotlight, those are such Namjoo hates so much. Apparently, Sanghyuk is one of them. The guy's a pièce de résistance, as they say. He was once only a member of the book club, but one time he attracted a lot of girls and allegedly, as well as teachers with his charming wit, good looks and bright smile. He was flawless. True, he hasn't read all the books in the library but he gained popularity faster than anyone who can finish a long-chaptered novel.

 

"I think you two will get along well." Naeun, a friend of hers, spoke.
Namjoo gasped dramatically. "Do you hear yourself, Naeun?"
"I was just kidding." she laughed.
"Well, I'm not."
"Come on, Namjoo. Give Sanghyuk a break. The guy's smart, and he seem really kind."
"No. He's a showboat." she agitated. "I just want to punch his face... if only I can."
"Are you that pissed?" she laughed again, a little soft and low this time.
Namjoo nodded, her fists clenched into a ball.
"Let's not go over it, Kim Namjoo. Keep yourself calm."
"I'm calm. Just... irritated. Very irritated."

 


It was time for their English class. Sanghyuk came from the library with girl students behind, following and fawning over him, arriving at their classroom. The teacher noticed the crowd and immediately asked them to get back to their individual classes. Sanghyuk thanked the teacher and she swore she must have melted there somehow seeing a brilliant smile from him. Namjoo, at a distance, sighed heavily. Please. He got settled in their seats and the class finally started.


"Okay, everyone, so today I have a very good and important news for you. I'm so excited for this. As most of you know, there will be an annual play presented by several class for our school festival. I'm very proud to say that two," she raised two fingers. "Will participate from our class, and they will play the prince and princess respectively! Isn't that great?!"
There was no response, well, from boys. Since they probably already know it would be Sanghyuk. He's merely a—every—teacher's pet.
The girls, however, screeched in excitement and was making all this fuss about it for a few minutes before the teacher interrupted and shushed them to announce who'll take the role of the princess.


"Drum rolls please." and the class made sounds.
Namjoo glanced towards Naeun's seat, waiting for her name to be called. She was expectant.
"Kim Namjoo!"
"What?!" she stood up the second she heard her name, and everyone looked at her.
"You'll be playing the princess." the teacher clapped exaggeratedly.
The whole class aww-ed.
"Aww?" she responded, mimicking the class. "Okay. As part of the speech club, I have the right to say what I want to. And I have the freedom to deny and say no to this. I am very sorry, I won't do it with Mr. Han."
Suddenly, the class—girls—cheered.
"Stop! Stop! Be quiet!" the teacher exclaimed. "As part of the school faculty, I am very sorry as well, Ms. Kim. Everything has been decided. This play will be a part of your project, and will also be graded. If you don't do it, I will have to fail you in my class."
The young lady pursed her lips, "Fine."
"If only a teacher can be partnered..."
Everyone gasped in slight disgust. Sanghyuk smiled, stealing glances at Namjoo.

 

 

The next day, Namjoo came to school early to get some reference books for both her assignments and the play. While she was scanning for them, she notices a form suddenly walking towards her. She ignored it, but unsurprisingly it was Sanghyuk.


"Good morning,"
"Well, it's not a good one if you're the first person I'll see."
"Ouch." he chuckled.
"Oh, you're sensitive? I'm sorry."
He took a peek at the books in her hand, "Sleeping beauty?" he smiled. "I see you're getting reference for the play?"
"If it weren't for my grade, I wouldn't do it."
"Of course you wouldn't." he nodded.
She rolled her eyes and moved to the other shelf. He followed.
"Why are you following me?" she asked, starting to get annoyed.
"Because I want to?"
"Then let me tell you something I want you to do, very very clearly." she stepped a meter closer and leaned—tiptoeing a bit—towards his face.  "Please, get out of my sight."
He chuckled. "What if I don't want to?"
"Why wouldn't you?"
The guy suddenly wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling her closer. She gasped at the sudden contact.
"Because this is my library. I'm the president of the book club, remember?"
She gulped, feeling a sheen of sweat going down her forehead. That was a first.
"Some president." she mumbled.
There was a few seconds of silence, only the tick of the clock can be heard.
"Can you let go of me now?"
"I think I can get used to this." he smirked a bit, looking at her as their eyes meet for the nth time.
Suddenly, the bell rang and Namjoo pushed Sanghyuk away out of shock. She was a bit flustered, she admits and quickly left the spot right away. The guy was left chuckling about what just happened. How cute, he thought.

 

"That was the worst thing that ever happened to my life." she sulked, talking about it to Naeun.
"You mean, meeting his eyes was the worst thing ever?"
"Stop it, Naeun. I'm going crazy."
"I'm going to ask you back this question. Do you hear yourself, Namjoo? It's like you're talking about him differently now."
"What?! I am not!" she sighed, messing her hair.
"Yeah, you are."
"No, okay? You know, I hate him more for doing that."
"Right." the other chuckled.
"Naeun, please? I'm about to get insane and you're not helping."
"Well, I just want to remind you that you two will do a play together. As prince charming, and princess Aurora, and there's a kissing scene at the end, and you have to get used to being romantic."
Namjoo froze at the words 'kiss' and 'romantic'. She basically just stiffens up hearing such words, although she is used to them.
She groaned. "I hate it! I hate it! I hate it!"

 

After class, the teacher handed out their scripts and asked if they could start memorizing it, and practicing together. The scripts were in old English. Probably the reason why they were chosen was because they deliver talks and scripts in English well, and better than other students. Namjoo realized. Of course, she didn't like to practice with Sanghyuk but there was no choice in the end. She couldn't go on to the play without practicing with her partner. They read their lines gradually and instructed each other with this and that. Sanghyuk even helped her change some lines so it would be a bit easier to deliver. She was rather surprised to see this side of him, it was new. She never thought a guy like him was this smart. Sure, she knew he has wit but at this point, she realizes how intelligent and kindhearted he really is. That moment, she somehow feel like she's screwed or something. She was starting to find him admirable, it made her confused.

 


Sanghyuk helped me so much today and I felt my heart continuously skip a beat back there. This is crazy. I hate him, right? But a part of me is telling that I've been wrong all this time. Why am I like this? He's someone I should hate forever. I hate him for helping me with my script, I hate him for looking over me today, I hate how he looks at me effectively as he deliver his lines. I hate how he smiles at me, I hate how his voice still lingers on my ears... Oh, wait no. This is bad.

 

 

A few days before the play, Namjoo arrived at the library to practice. She scanned the place and there was no sign of Sanghyuk. She elicited a relieved sigh. Safe, for now. She walked in between two of the bookshelves and looked at the books, amazed at how they're well-organized—alphabetically. One book caught her attention suddenly, she reached for it and as soon as she pulled it out,

"Hey!"
Namjoo gasped in surprise and dropped the book.
"Namjoo? Is that you?"
She took a peek at the space between the books. "Oh, Sanghyuk?"
"I didn't hear you come in." he chuckled.
"I-I thought you're still not here as well."
"The library's like my second home, expect me to be here almost 20 hours a day."
"I see." she picked up the book, Sanghyuk walking towards her.
"You're early."
"I need to practice, and do some assignments."
"Alright. You can do your assignments first, I'll just finish arranging the piled up books from yesterday." he smiled, getting the book from her.
She nodded and took a sit on a table.


A few minutes passed by and the library was starting to be filled with students—whether to study or to just see Sanghyuk. He was almost done with the work, settled at a shelf near Namjoo's table. The latter kept glancing to his direction, avoiding to make eye contact everytime Sanghyuk turns. Apparently, the guy noticed.


"Was it just my imagination or were you stealing glances at me like the other girls here?"
She scoffed. "You're not the only person her that I can glance and look at. It's probably just your imagination.
"You talk really well. I don't know why you don't want to be a head and lead the speech club."
"Because doing so will only gain me unwanted attention."
He nodded. "Like me?"
"Like you?" she giggled softly. "I thought you liked all the attention."
"Is that why you're mad—pissed off—at me?"
Namjoo paused and looked up at him for a few good seconds, a bit taken aback by the sudden intense gaze in his eyes.
"I-I want to be honest, yes." she stuttered.
Sanghyuk smiled and grabbed her hand, students in the background inaudible whimpering at the sight. Despite the crowd of students, he still held on her hand tightly, "Come with me." he pulled her to one of the sections and faced the books.
The girl was puzzled. "Why, Sanghyuk?"
"Do you know how books are arranged?"
"Isn't it by categories, or genre?"
He nodded. "If one gets misplaced?" he shifted to see her.
"You won't find it in case it's the book you need?"
"Pretty much." he chuckled. "It's the same with us."
She tilted her head, curious. "The same?"
"If you don't know what your calling is, others won't find you and realize how important you are." he faced her. "I don't know if I'm making sense, but it's like how important you are to the speech club. If you didn't knew you'd do well, they won't be able to find you and won't know a perfect speech club student like you exist."
Namjoo felt him scoot closer, leaning down to meet her eyes, their lips closer to contact. She took a step back at the last second and inhaled air in.
"It's true, what they say, that speech club and book club are related. Y-you're a good speaker for a book club member." she smiled nervously. "Are you done arranging the books? L-let's start practice."
The guy smiled with a wee chuckle as she strided back to the table. He followed.

 

They started practicing, almost half of it memorized after an hour. With this, they were given permission to not attend classes until the play is done. Namjoo didn't like the idea but somehow she felt like this is an opportunity to get to know Sanghyuk better. They had to pause at some point wherein they need to rest even for a little while. Sanghyuk asked if she wants him to get something to drink, she, however, shook her head thinking that drinks weren't allowed inside the library. They guy gave a reassuring look and asked her not to worry. Namjoo smiled and mouthed an okay. Actually, Sanghyuk can already have his own grocery of snacks at the back door. Other students make sure he doesn't get hungry and gives him lots of snack, and yes the faculty allows it. He came back with two bottles of water in hand, and to his surprise, the young lady fell asleep. Her head stuck in the table, gripped on her script. He found it cute. He took off his jacket and put it on her, brushing a strand of hair off of her face gently. He couldn't help but caress her cheek with the back of his palm. He smiled. What am I doing.

 

"Sanghyuk?" the librarian called to him.
He came to her as soon as possible. "Yes?"
"Was that acting or, was that for real?"
"What do you mean, Mrs. Jang?"
"I mean, Ms. Kim Namjoo." she smiled. "The other students think you're practicing and putting up an act, but I see differently."
"Differently?"
"In denial. You like her—"
"I do. But," he chuckled. "She hates me. That's something that won't change."
"I think it's something that can change. She seems to be admiring you."
"What?"
"I know. I'm watching everyone here like a hawk."
"You're saying that because she takes glimpse at me right?"
"Not just a glimpse. There's something there."
He gave a wide smile as a response.

 


Mrs. Jang—the librarian—is like my second parent. She knows me well, and almost all the other students too. She stays seated in her spot, as she said, watching me and the other kids like a hawk and yes, she knows when things are up or if there's something wrong. I believe her a lot of times. This time, once again, I will and I want to. I admit, I like Namjoo. She's sweet, smart and cute. I know she wasn't attracted to me at all, but then I knew why, I couldn't miss that chance to explain. Good thing she listened though. I'm not a bad guy. I'm just someone who hides his true feelings, but not something I can hide forever.

 

It was almost after class that Namjoo woke up, the library was practically empty. Sanghyuk was fixing the books left on the tables by other students when he noticed her toss from her seat. Was she up all night to have fallen asleep that long? he thought. She looked around with hazy eyes, grabbed hold of Sanghyuk's jacket from her back. She yawned, rubbing her eye in unison. The guy chuckled at a distance, finding the girl cute as she did. Namjoo pursed her lips when finally, she gained consciousness from the fuzzy vision, earning another chuckle from Sanghyuk. Embarrassed, she covered her face with his jacket and winces softly—but enough for him and the librarian to hear. They both chuckled.


"Did I really sleep that long?" she mumbled, in a soft voice.
Sanghyuk sauntered towards her, smiling. "Yes, you did."
"I'm sorry, we should've been practicing. I dozed, badly."
"No, it's okay. It would be worse if you practice not feeling well."
She smiled vaguely. "Thank you."

Just then, the librarian stood up from her seat and looked at Sanghyuk with such eyes. She smiled and mentioned that it's already her time to leave. Also asking the two students to clean up, close the lights and lock the door when they leave. They nodded simultaneously.

"Do you want to practice before going home?"
"Since there's not a lot of people anymore, I think that'll feel more comfortable."
"Why? You don't want others to see how we practice the kiss scene."
Again, Namjoo stiffened at the word. "H-hey,"
"What?" he blinked.
The girl shook her head at a snail's pace, earning a chuckle from the other.
"You're cute." he nods, "Just tell me if you don't want to practice that scene, and improvise on the day itself."
She gasped. "N-no. I don't want that, it might turn awful."
"Alright, then?" He smiled.
"Let's practice."


And so they did. They went across the table and each other, delivering their lines—most of them were memorized already and need not to look at the script. Namjoo went up the table, lied down and pretended to have fallen asleep. Sanghyuk came to her side, took off his jacket and put it on her legs. He smiled at her, and she responded the same, peeking at him a bit. Sanghyuk grabbed the script and read the narrator's part as to check the time interval. It came to that part where the prince kiss the princess to wake her up. Sanghyuk glanced at Namjoo while talking. Before he walked closer, he asked once again whether or not she's sure with them practicing this part. She nodded. He drew closer, stared at her for a few seconds and leaned in.

"Sanghyuk-ah!" Someone interrupted.
They were both surprised; Namjoo sat up, Sanghyuk stood still.
"Oh, did I—" she blinked. "Did I disturb you?"
"No, we were just practicing." Namjoo replied.
"Really? That's great!" she walked up to them. "I'm Hyewon from class-B. I'll be the narrator for the play."
She shook hands with Namjoo and Sanghyuk, but a little longer with the latter.
"Ah, it's nice to meet you." he said.
"The pleasure is all mine."
"You're practicing too?" The other girl asked.
Hyewon nodded. "We are. Someone told me you were here so I had to check. I've heard lots of good things about Sanghyuk, I'm excited to work with you." she grinned. "And Namjoo too!"
Namjoo frowned—subtly. She pretended to check her phone.
"Oh, I have to go. Naeun texted me, and asked to meet her."
The guy nodded. "Alright, I'm going in awhile too."
"Why don't you practice with us first, Sanghyuk?"
Namjoo's eyes narrowed. "Sure!" he replied.
The other girl smiled widely and clung on his arm. Namjoo sighed inaudibly and came down from the table, realizing she still has Sanghyuk's jacket. She asked herself and decides to give it back tomorrow instead.

 


She went downtown to grab some air and also ate alone. She did lie about meeting Naeun but she regretted it. She sent several message to her friend asking if she could come to her place but there were no response. Is Naeun busy? She thought. She was sauntering around when she suddenly saw Sanghyuk with their theater play casts came out of a restaurant a few meters away. Although they were on their backs, Namjoo easily noticed them. They were bidding goodbyes to each other and without any warning, Hyewon pecked on Sanghyuk's cheek. The latter smiled. At that sudden moment, Namjoo stiffened on her spot. The guy turned as the others left and discerned her.

"Namjoo?" he walked up to her.
She came back to consciousness quickly as she heard his voice.
"Hey, I thought you were with Naeun?"
"I-I am." she stammered. "She's around here, somewhere."
Sanghyuk looked around. "Uh, alright?"
"I should go find her." she chuckled nervously.
"Okay, I'll see you tomorrow then?"
"Y-yeah."

The girl had no idea where to go then, she felt like Sanghyuk was staring at him as she turned to her back and started walking. She acted as if she was looking for Naeun, scanning around while checking her phone every second. When she was at a distance, she sighed. What am I doing. Just then, she decided to go to Naeun's place to check if she was there. Fortunately, she was.

"Oh, Namjoo!" she smiled.
"Naeun, I was trying to text you."
"Ah! You were?" she bowed her head like a kid. "Sorry, I was doing our laundry. My mom's not here and she let our maids go back to their families for the weekend. I had to do them."
She nodded. "I'm sorry I had to disturb you."
"Not at all. Come in!"
Namjoo came inside and sat down their dining room chair.
Naeun brought her water. "Why'd you suddenly came for a visit? Is there something wrong? Did practice go well?"
"It was. Until somebody in."
The other girl chuckled. "What happened?"
"That girl from class-B interrupted me and Sanghyuk's practice, and I saw her peck his cheek awhile ago."
"Oh, wow." Naeun nudged. "You're jealous?"
She sighed. "Naeun, you know I'm honest with my feelings, right?"
"Uh-huh,"
"This time.. I don't even know what I'm feeling."
"Well, uh, here's a question. Are you confused or, in denial?"
She sighed, again. "I honestly don't know."
"Think about it." she grinned, patting her head.
She stood up to get back to her laundry. "Oh, Naeun?"
"Yes?"
"You're doing the laundry, you say?"
"Yeah, why?"
"I need to wash something."
Naeun nodded, slightly puzzled.


Namjoo went to follow Naeun and brought out Sanghyuk's jacket from her bag. She turned to Namjoo without noticing it and told her instructions, where these and those stuff are. Namjoo nodded and started on washing his jacket. A few minutes later, Naeun came back who seem to have forgotten something. She saw Sanghyuk's jacket and gasped. Namjoo blinked.

"Is that Sanghyuk's? You're washing Sanghyuk's jacket?"
"How'd you know it's his?"
"He's the only one you were with the whole day?"
"Well yeah, but I just want to return it to him clean."
Naeun giggled and crossed her arms. "You do like him."
"Wait, what? No..."
"And yet you're washing his jacket? Because you want to give it back to him clean? Because it's important that it is, and it's important to you because Sanghyuk's important to you?"
"Okay, stop, Son Naeun."
"You like Sanghyuk, just say it."
"I don't know, okay?" She pursed her lips. "I should be hating him even when I already knew he's not really a bad guy."
"Why is that?"
"A lot of girls like her, they're better. I'm just someone who judges people easily. I've been mean to him when he's actually kind. I hate myself for that."
"You're being too dramatic. Fine, just finish up quick." She laughed and sprinkled water on her.
"Hey! I didn't bring any extras."
"I've got lots of them. Don't worry." she sprinkled her again.
She laughed. "You're not helping, Naeun."

 

The next morning, Namjoo arrived in school and caught sight of Sanghyuk with the rest of the casts, without Hyewon anywhere. She took a deep breath, grabbing his folded jacket in her hand and walked towards him. The latter noticed.

"Oh hey Namjoo! Good morning!" he greeted. The others greet her as well but she could only smile at them.
She handed the jacket. "I just wanted to give this back."
"You washed it?" he chuckled, getting it from her.
"Yes, I wanted to give it back to you properly."
"Thank you, Namjoo. No one has ever done that before."
"What do you mean?"
"Ah, nothing. I meant, only our maids get hold of my uniform."
She nodded. "Well, I should get going."
"Wait, aren't you going to practice with us?"
"I can't. I-I'm going to class."
"But today's the last day we can practice all together."
"I.. really want to. But Naeun needs help with something very important."
"That's too bad, we really need and want to practice with the princess as well." he smiled. "But if it can't be helped, I'll just see you later then?"
Namjoo smiled back. "I'll catch up with one or two practice sometime before the play."

Just then, Hyewon arrived, waving at them ecstatically. Namjoo knew she had to walk away fast—and she did. She told herself not to look back. Several times. To her luck, she was able to resist and got to class. Naeun was rather surprised to see her though. The class started—and ended—with Namjoo just there sitting and staring blankly into thin air. Her friend nudged her a few times before she could even get back to her senses.

"I should take you home today." Naeun sighed softly.
"W-what?"
"You're not yourself. I might as well take you home to be sure."
"But.. I'm fine."
"Oh, really? What was today's lesson in Math?"
Namjoo blinked repeatedly. "I-I don't recall."
"See? Was there any lesson from today that you can recall?"
"N-no..."
Naeun chuckled a bit. "I told you you're not yourself. I'm assisting you home."
She sighed.


Namjoo didn't had the faintest idea why, but her feet suddenly brought her to the library. She came there looking for Sanghyuk, she thinks and, she kept questioning herself why. She walked in and scanned the crowd, she turned to check on the librarian but Mrs. Jang wasn't at her usual spot either. She must be lurking around doing Sanghyuk's job because he isn't there, she thinks. Although she still wanted to make sure and ask her. She sauntered around the shelves, looking for the woman.

"Oh! Ms. Kim Namjoo?" it was Mrs. Jang who found her first. "What are you doing here?"
She turned to her and smiled. "Good afternoon, Mrs. Jang. I was just wondering if Sanghyuk's been here."
"You should know, you're his princess." she chuckled softly.
Namjoo felt herself blush a bit. "N-not really. It's just for the play."
"You're cute." the teacher nodded. "Well, he hasn't been here. Probably out practicing. Why aren't you?"
"I... just had some things to do." she smiled, before bowing to bid goodbye. The librarian responded in the same manner and got back to her job.

On her way out the library, she was looking down and bumped to another student all of a sudden. She gasped in surprised, quickly apologizing with a 45-degree bow. The other laughed though, realizing she's a familiar person. "Namjoo, what are you doing?"

It was Sanghyuk.
She lifted her head up. "Sanghyuk...?"
"Hey, you look pretty stressed. Are you okay?"
"Y-yeah I'm fine."
"Why did you came from the library? Were you looking for me?" The girl bit her lip discreetly.
"W-why would I look for you?"
"Yeah, right. There's no reason for you to. Anyway, why were you inside?"
"I, uh, just took a few notes for Naeun. She's too busy with some papers."
"Busy with some papers? I saw her talking to our classmates though, she doesn't seem preoccupied." he nodded.
"S-she probably just took a break. I need to get back to her then." She walked pass him as she was running out of excuses.
Hyuk turned, "Oh we need to be here 6AM tomorrow, okay? We still need to practice with you."
"N-noted."
The guy chuckled—staring at her form as she stride away.

 

[Trigger warning: Mention of blood, wound, laceration. Please skip some words if you're uncomfortable with it. Hugs.]


"I'm gonna stay here for awhile." Naeun spoke as they arrived Namjoo's place.
"Thanks, Naeun. And I'm sorry you're being fed up with my drama."
The other giggled. "You should've told me you were making up excuses to avoid Sanghyuk, I would've pretended I was busy."
"Did he... talk to you today?"
She nodded. "He asked where you were earlier when you told me you're going to the bathroom."
"Ah..."
"What's up? Is something wrong?"
"I-I just want to know why I'm feeling so affected about this.."
"About what?"
"You know...?"
"I don't—"
"Naeun-ah!" she pouted.
Her friend nudged her with a chuckle. "Is it Sanghyuk, and that girl from class-B?"
Namjoo only replied with a small nod, embarrassed.
"I'm not gonna hate you if you admit you're jealous, and that you like Sanghyuk."
"W-what?"
"You should stop lying to yourself. Honestly, you're not a good liar. You stammer a lot, it's obvious."
She sighed. "Really? But h-how will I like him. It's impossible.. right?"
Naeun shook her head and stood up to get cups of water. The other was left in deep thought, and staring.
"Here, drink water first." she gave her a cup. "I'm gonna get some food from your fridge okay? You must be hungry too."

Namjoo was still out of herself. She got the cup in her hand but dropped it as soon as it leveled to . It broke and quickly slit on the side of Namjoo's foot and sole. She winced at the sudden pain, and looked down only to see a glimpse of blood. Naeun came running towards her and asked her what happened. The other couldn't answer. Naeun ran to get the first-aid kit—obviously she knows her way around Namjoo's place because she's been friends with her for long—and luckily, they still have them in their medicine cabinet. She paced back to her and helped her with her wounds quickly. There's quite a lot of blood, she kept saying. A little later, Namjoo asked her to stop and let her do it herself.

"Seriously, Namjoo."
"I'm sorry. I'm so clumsy. Good thing, it's just a minor laceration."
"That's okay—and yes, good thing that it is. Or else, I'd be panicking just to bring you to the hospital." she sighed softly. "The problem now is, how are you going to perform with that wound on your feet? I mean you are going to wear high-heeled shoes right?"
She smiled. "Don't worry. I can do it, no one will notice."
"No one will notice your limping?"
"Leave it to me. Don't worry okay?"
"Are you sure?"
"Of course." she grinned.
"You're... slowly coming back. That's good."
"Maybe I should just stop thinking about Sanghyuk and everything will be fine."
Naeun nodded and crossed her fingers. "I hope."

 

6AM. Namjoo got up and came to the kitchen to make breakfast for her and Naeun. She rubbed her eyes and yawned as if she hadn't fallen asleep properly. As soon as she finished, they ate and quickly prepared, settling in their uniforms and going out, to the school. Today's the day and Namjoo's feeling really nervous. She could barely get Sanghyuk off of her mind—but she's definitely trying hard to. Naeun kept glancing at her, full of concern. She was also looking down at her foot, the wound kept stinging and she knows Namjoo is hurting. She also kept questioning her but the latter responds only with I'm okay and smiles—which worries her more.


They arrived at the theater and almost all the students are there, gathered. Naeun left Namjoo so she could go backstage and wished her good luck. Namjoo thanked her and headed backstage, her cast mates came to greet her as she walked towards them and saw her. She smiled at them and apologized for not practicing with them. They said it was okay, and that Sanghyuk reassured them that she'll do great even without much practice. He really said that? Sanghyuk saw her at a distance and beamed, he strided towards her. Namjoo took a breath.

"My princess has arrived!" he chuckled.
"H-hey, Sanghyuk,"
"You sound nervous. Are you okay?"
"Yeah, I'm fine."
"We should get ready."

"Sanghyuk-ah!" Just then, Hyewon interrupted. She came to Sanghyuk and fixed his coat, mumbling good luck and some motivating words or whatever, smiling at him even. Namjoo stared as the boy gave a smile and thanked her, saying good luck to her as well. Hyewon left without noticing you.

"She seems like a thoughtful girlfriend." Namjoo said.
"She'll be, I guess. A clingy one too, which definitely isn't my type." He chuckled.
"I-Isn't she your—"
"Girlfriend?" he laughed. "You thought she's my girlfriend? That's funny. I'm starting to think you're jealous."
She sighed. "I should go get ready."
Sanghyuk chuckled again the moment she walked away. He was looking at her from her back and noticed how she was dragging her one foot—or he thought.

 


Act 1 finished.

I'm so stupid. I feel so stupid. How the heck didn't I see that coming? Why didn't I thought of that. Why... How. I'm so irritated. Now my finger is bleeding and my foot hurts from the wound yesternight, it just keeps stinging. This heels does a very good job in hurting me more. Plus, Sanghyuk noticing all of this isn't any good either. This isn't going well. How...


"Are you okay, Namjoo?" Sanghyuk asked.
"I'm fine, just get back to you dressing room."
"I can't do that. Your finger is bleeding."
"It's just a finger."
He chuckled a bit. "Why did you pricked the spindle so hard? You're such a kid."
"No one told me it was a real spindle... I'm so stupid I didn't ask."
"You're not." he smiled. "Just be careful next time."
She nodded. "Yeah, yeah. Just get out already." she pushed him to the doorway and left him there. She walked back to her chair, limping.
Sanghyuk observed. "What happened to your foot?
"W-what?" her eyes widened in surprise.
"You're limping. Did something happen, besides from your finger?"
"Nothing." she smiled a bit.
"Namjoo, are you really okay?"
"I've been telling you the whole time that I'm fine, aren't I?" she exclaimed. "I can take care of myself!"


He doesn't know how, but he's sure she isn't okay.

 


Number of words: 5.5k+

{gifs are mine}