Just Like Everyone Else

Unexpectedly

I looked around at my blank apartment, with rows of boxes stacked on top of each other. It took me a while to accept the fact that I was moving, but I couldn't do anything about it. My dad got a new job and whether we had to move or not wasn't my decision. Of course the first couple weeks, I cried whenever I got the chance. I cried in my bed, I cried at school, I cried while grocery shopping, basically any place that made me realize, Oh, I'm no longer going to be here. I only had one year left before I went my way to college, so it wasn't as bad. But it still made me emotional to leave the place I grew up in. 

 My name is Yoonjung Kim. If you can't already tell from my name, I'm raised in an entirely Korean family. I'm the typical 18 year old girl, now a senior in high school. There's really nothing special about me. I play tennis, do homework, eat, sleep, that's basically my day. I'm sure there's others that do the exact same thing every single day. I live in a family of five, with one older brother and a younger sister, which I'm very lucky to have. My older brother, Jun, is two years older than me and surprisingly we get along. When we were younger, we fought over toys, balloons, probably everything. I hated having an older brother, but it got better. He goes to college, so I don't see him very often, but when we do, it's always the best times. He has an average face, and super tall. He probably got my dad's genes, since my dad's also really tall. Me, on the other hand, I'm average height, 5' 4". He cares alot about me (sometimes a little too much), and he takes me places in his old car. My sister, Jiyeon, is sixteen, a sophomore in high school. We get along too, but I get along more with my brother. She's always busy, trying to study for her tests and getting ready to take the tests for college admissions. I prepare for everything, I hate when things get thrown at me and I have no time to prepare. Unexpectance just occurs to be as bad luck. I try to avoid it since I get scared. I don't know, everyone says that's just me, but who knows? Maybe I just want everything to be perfect. 

The moving trucks came, and two men stepped off the truck to talk to my parents. They started hauling the boxes into the truck one by one and I watched. I wondered how they could move such heavy things. I went back into the house and looked around at the unfamiliar area. Our house suddenly looked empty and different, unlike the house I lived in for all 18 years of my life. With everything gone, it suddenly looked barren. 

"I guess this is it," I said to Jiyeon, standing at the entrance of my room. We already said goodbye to the neighbors and I didn't want to call my friends at that moment since I would just break out into tears. My best friends, Nicole, Lily, Grace, and Emily all made me a poster with their final letters which made me cry in front of the whole class. We promised we were going to video call, hoping to make things better, but we all knew it wasn't going to happen. That was it. We were all parting ways now. Tears started to well up in my eyes. No, no not right now. I didn't want to cry at that moment. I rushed out of my room past Jiyeon and sat in the car to get ready to leave the house. I tried to think of everything in a positive way. I was going to experience another town, new people, and a new environment. How bad can it get? 

The moving van was ready to leave. Mom and Jiyeon got in the car as Dad called Jun to inform him that we were now moving. This was going to be a long road trip. Dad got into the car and started driving as our house got smaller and smaller out of view. I looked out the window, looking at my town for the last time. 

"Maybe something good will happen," Jiyeon turned and told me. I knew it was harder for her. She had to adjust to all the changes and sophomore year was a crucial time period for her. 

I smiled, "Of course, hopefully." I returned the smile back.