Chapter 1

even the shadows

Seulgi knows she is a bit different. She knows that the others think so too. Of course, they never bring it up when she’s around, and they’re never mean about it, it just happens to be one of those things that everyone knows about Seulgi. You see, for a god, Seulgi is incredibly curious. (The older gods say she is too curious but that’s why she avoids them as much as possible.) After all, most, if not all gods, live the same way, fulfill their duties, enjoy the worship and praise, lavish themselves in offerings, and go up to Olympus for a party or two. 

But for Seulgi?

Seulgi has always loved learning. Exploring. Meeting other gods, asking them questions, observing humans and staying close to them. As an immortal being, she could never really picture doing the same exact thing day after day. She often wonders if she’s this way because technically, she only has a couple of active months every year. Maybe that explains her restless spirit and her need to always be moving. But then again, her siblings have never been as curious as her.  

Seulgi sighs, looking up into the clear blue sky. It’s not a problem, after all. It’s something she’s accepted about herself, and those close to her have accepted it as well. So, isn’t that enough?

“What are you thinking about?” her companion asks, her eyes still closed as she lays on the grass beside Seulgi, taking in the warmth of the sunshine. She didn’t need the warmth, with being a god and all, but due to Seulgi’s influence, she couldn’t deny that there was something about the rays of light that seemed to warm up her insides as well. 

“How do you know I’m thinking about something?” 

“You’re not sleeping, not asking questions, not telling me your new findings and adventures… nor are you eating. But you’re very quiet. That usually means you’re thinking about something.” 

Seulgi hums in response, her hands idly playing with a blade of grass, willing a tiny flower to sprout forth. “Wendy… can I ask you a question?”

Wendy opens her eyes and smiles up at her friend. “Like you’ve ever asked permission before. Is it an important question?”

“I mean… not that important.”

“When you say it like that, then it’s obviously very important, Seul.” 

“I was just wondering… Have you ever met Death?” 

“Why?” This spurs Wendy to sit up, her brows furrowed as she wonders why her best friend is thinking of such things.

Seulgi shrugs, “I mean… Death is one of the Big Three, right? Yet we know nothing about them. We have been alive for a couple of centuries after all.”

“I don’t think anyone knows anything about them. I don’t even think Death comes up here, you know? Or if they do, they won’t hang around you and me, that’s for sure.”

“Why not?” 

“Well, like you said, Big Three. They probably have better things to do then listen to all your questions or listen to my melodies. Besides, you’re literally one of the best embodiments of light. And Death is well… just dark.”

“They are?”

“I would think so. They’re the Lord of the Dead. Nothing light about that.” 

“I guess...” Seulgi looks up at the sky again seemingly unconvinced, “So, have you met them? I figure between the two of us, you’d have a better chance of meeting Death.”

“Not face to face. I did meet one of their angels though.” 

Wendy would have laughed at the way Seulgi’s face lit up at the prospect of learning more, but this was a darker topic, so she decides against it. “It was one of Joy’s… crazier parties. Well, it was a celebration after the war that has been raging on for almost a decade, but you know how humans can get when they’re intoxicated. One man insults the other, egos are bruised, swords are being brandished, sides are chosen and even if I influenced the most calming music I could muster, it was too late.”

“Did they all die?”

“Just a few. Joy caused one of the wine jugs to spill over and suddenly they snapped out of it, trying to save their precious wine. But then Death’s angels came. It wasn’t the first time I saw them, but it was the first time I actually took a long hard look. Their black robes were pitch black, it’s like if you touched it, you’d get into the emptiness. Their wings were beautiful. They were black as well, but it shone as if the stars were intertwined between the feathers. One of them was already leading the souls of four men away, while the other stood above this human, the one that started the whole ruckus. He was still alive, but barely. He was screaming his head off in total fear before he collapsed and died. Then, the angel turned to me- and I- “ 

“And?” 

“She obviously knew I was a god of some sort because she put down her hood and well, she smiled at me… and she looked beautiful, Seulgi. So incredibly beautiful that I couldn’t turn away even if I wanted to. To this day though, I have no idea why the man screamed like he did.” 

“Maybe he was afraid of dying.” 

“Maybe.” Wendy shrugs then pats her friend on the back before standing up. “Anyway, we should head into town. I don’t want to keep Joy waiting.” 

Seulgi rolls her eyes, “Tell her to relax. This festival is for me after all.” 

 


 

Seulgi’s smile gets brighter the closer they get to the town square. Children run past them, flowers in their hands and dirt on their cheeks. The men have flowers on their heads, the colorful flower crowns created by their lovers as a symbolism of love and of life. The women too have flowers braided into their hair, plucked by the children of the town, and the radiant flowers from the year before are turned into the dye for their colorful dresses. 

“Your festival is truly one of my favorites.” Wendy beams at her friend, only for it to disappear as they spot the figure standing at the center of the square. 

“You’re late,” the tall goddess huffs, her arms folded across her chest. 

“I mean, you could’ve started without us? They don’t really need me to celebrate.” Seulgi smiles sheepishly. 

“Well, you were the one that chose this place, so it would be best if you were here. Don’t you think?” 

“You know, for the Goddess of Wine and Celebration, you sure are strict.” 

The goddess rolls her eyes, “Do you want me here or not? I’m sure there’s another place celebrating some other thing that I can attend instead.” 

“I’m kidding, Joy!” Seulgi pouts, “Please, stay. This town… they need this. You know? It’s been a tough winter for them. I doubled my efforts to make everything brighter and full of life. It may only be for a few days… but I would like them to enjoy and spare them from suffering at least for a while.”

“You’re really weird, you know that?” 

Before Seulgi can question her, they are interrupted as a hush falls over the crowd, their energy buzzing through the air as the town leader steps into the center. He looks happy, the town looks happy, so Seulgi is happy as well. He says a few words and the crowd cheers, then he takes off his blue flower crown and lifts it up to the sky. 

Seulgi is beaming and her heart is bursting, but of course, no one except her fellow goddesses can see it. 

“To the Goddess of Spring, to the patroness of this humble town, to our Goddess Seulgi, bless us once more!” 

The crowd lifts their own flowers to the sky and repeats his words. 

“To the Goddess of Spring!”

“To the patroness of our humble town!”

“To our Goddess Seulgi!”

“Bless us once more!” 

They throw their flowers in the air, catching them swiftly and cheering once more. Seulgi then feels a tidal wave of happiness and well, joy, spreading throughout the crowd. She turns to the taller goddess beside her, her hands extended to the crowd. Her own blessing for the celebration. 

Wendy smiles at them both and extends her own hands as well. The music that was already playing becomes louder, and at the same time, lighter. Lifting spirits and giving hope. The Goddess of Music has blessed the festival. 

“Thank you,” Seulgi says, pulling them into the biggest hug she can manage. 

As they let go, Joy smirks, “Now, I think it’s time we all enjoy this party.”  

 


 

When the party starts to wind down for the night, in preparation for the 4 remaining days of celebration, Seulgi finds herself at the corner of the town square, lost in her own thoughts once more. 

As the Goddess of Spring, Seulgi didn’t have as many duties as other gods and goddesses. She often wondered why she had been created into existence, and what would happen if she were to disappear, but Wendy would always scold her and remind her that she played a big role in the world. She can hear the Goddess of Music’s voice clearly in her head, “Seulgi, at first glance, it may seem simple. You bring life to all the plants, trees, flowers and nature in general! Only you can do that! And without all that life you bring into the world, all those animals and humans would not be able to survive! What will they eat? Where will they get sustenance? Without you, it would be useless!” 

She is incredibly grateful for Wendy, the only other goddess she really enjoys spending a lot of time with. The other gods are nice, they tolerate Seulgi when she’s around, but after a while, their work gets boring and Seulgi runs off to find amusement somewhere else. But she never gets that feeling with Wendy. The Goddess of Music is always so full of life and so vibrant in her own way, and maybe that’s why Seulgi is drawn to her. She has always been in awe at how Wendy inspires the creation of such lovely sounds and is always moved by the stories that are interwoven into the melodies. 

Of course, by spending time with Wendy, it also means being around Joy. There was rarely a celebration that Wendy did not at least drop by to support the goddess. Seulgi only went to her own festivals, sometimes to those of her siblings, so she and Joy were comfortable with each other at the very least. At best, Seulgi could consider her a good friend. She takes one last look at the duo and she can feel a small smile tug at her lips. She watches as Joy gets lost in the revelry of the crowd, while Wendy is busy making sure Joy doesn’t go too far. She’s happy they have each other. Celebration and music going hand in hand. 

She then decides to leave them to do what she enjoys best, exploring the town she has chosen for this year’s celebration. She enjoys watching the townsfolk simply live. It’s a guilty pleasure that she’s sure the other gods would scoff at. The usual thinking was, “Why watch when you can command worship? Why get closer when the distance and mystery are what makes them value you more?” They wouldn’t understand, and Seulgi couldn’t understand them either. 

She wanders deeper into the town, breathing life into the flowers as she passes them by, refilling the grains in their storage houses and watching as sleepy children are being called back into their home, as lovers share embraces in the dark and friends laugh in each other’s company. 

“My goddess!” 

Seulgi whips her head around to see an old lady clad in what used to be white robes.

“My goddess,” she repeats, now falling to her knees and kissing the ground. 

The goddess isn’t that surprised, there are a few humans that have been bestowed with a very rare gift of sight and on nights like these, holy nights, their sight is stronger. 

“Please, stand.”

“Your humble servant could never stand before a goddess such as yourself,” she repeats, still on her knees, her head bent low. 

“Is there anything I can do for you?” Seulgi asks. Usually, she would have no need to ask because as soon as they greet her, they begin praying a list of wishes. 

“Oh, no, my goddess! I have lived my life serving you, and it is an honor to be before you. Thank you for all you have done for me and this town. I knew you would never abandon us.” 

She takes a closer look at the woman and sees her own symbol embroidered on the sleeve of her robe. “You are one of my priestesses.” 

“Yes. A disgraced priestess.” 

That, however, surprises Seulgi. All she feels from the woman is pure intentions and devotion. Seulgi gently takes her hand and leads her to a fountain and urges the old woman to sit beside her. Seulgi places her hand on the old woman’s shoulder, and though she does not look at the goddess, she begins to cry and explain her fall from grace. She was once a young and beautiful priestess, the next in line to lead them. But the King of the Gods took a special interest in her and she denied him again and again, stating her loyalty to Seulgi. It was on the eleventh refusal that the King of the Gods cursed her, making everything she touched wither and die. The townspeople believed that it was Seulgi herself that placed the curse upon her, deeming her unfit to be a priestess and was shunned in the town. 

Seulgi can feel her chest tighten at her words, “I am sorry, my child. I have not been able to protect you.” 

“My goddess, you are powerful indeed. But if it is the will of the King of the Gods, then what can you do? I have never been angry with you, dear goddess. I knew in my heart that one day, you will meet your servant.” 

“And you lay on the street? On your own, for all these years?”

“For many years, I was alone. I would sleep outside your temple, hoping that I would be released from this curse. But now, at the edge of town, close to the forest, there is a young family who lets me sleep in the corner of their home. They are kind and do not have much for themselves but they still choose to help me. I do what I can for them, but I am getting old and I am afraid I will soon be nothing but a burden to them. Please, my goddess, I do not ask anything of myself. But for them. Bless them. This is all I ask.”

“I will,” Seulgi says. She then dips their joined hands in the fountain and from it, pulls a bright red amaryllis and presents it to her old priestess. “I am proud of you, my humble and loyal priestess. May you be blessed all the days of your life.” 

 


 

“Joy, thank you so much. This town, they really needed it.” 

“Your spring festival is really one of my favorites. Plus, it’s the only time we really get to spend time with each other. Take care of yourself, okay? As for you, I’m sure I’ll see you soon, Wendy.” Joy envelopes them in a hug before vanishing. 

“I agree with Joy. Your festival is one of the most wholesome ones out there. But after five days of it? I can’t wait to just sleep for a couple of decades.” Wendy grins, “Are you going back to Olympus?” 

“In a bit, there’s someone I need to visit.” 

Wendy nods and clasps her friend’s shoulder, “I’ll see you soon then, Seulgi.”

When Seulgi is finally alone, she makes her way to the edge of town to where the family lives. It’s finally time for her to bestow her blessing on them, and at the same time, a big part of her wants to make sure her former priestess is truly safe in that household.  

Even from a distance, Seulgi can already imagine the interior of the tiny house. A small bed, a maybe a small mattress for the children, a small table for their meals, and the little corner of the priestess. There is a warmth that radiates from the home and judging from the flowers that line up their fence, Seulgi is sure of the family’s devotion. She fully expects to see a young happy family, and maybe the priestess cleaning or cooking for them or perhaps teaching them how to pray. What greets Seulgi instead is a heavy cloud of grief that looming over the family. She feels it as she approaches the home, and it is only confirmed when she sees a white sheet covering a lifeless body. 

The questions in her mind come at full speed. Was her blessing not enough? Was it too late to bless her? Why was she taken from the world so quickly then? How could Seulgi not know that it was almost her time? Surely, she would have done something, anything, to prevent it. But then again, could she really do anything? Could she go against Death, if it came to it? 

“In the end, I believe she lived a good life.” Seulgi hears the head of the family say to his son, as they place the last log on the pyre. 

“Do you think she was really cursed?” the young boy asks.

“She was treated unfairly, and they passed judgment too quickly. But I know our goddess saw her heart and looked after her. Let us hope that Death does the same.” 

“She was right. They are kind.” Seulgi thinks, then watches as the father gently places the body on the pyre. “I know I need not worry because I can see that they truly cared for her.” 

“Mommy, mommy! Look!” a young girl shouts, waving a flower in front of her mother’s face.

“What is it my love?” 

“The red flower! It turned white!” 

Seulgi shakes her head at the statement, wondering if she misheard. That’s simply impossible. None of her flowers can do that, not without her prompting, at the very least. She moves beside the child and takes a closer look at the flower in the little girl’s hand. 

Seulgi smiles as she recognizes it instantly. A lily. One of her flowers made to symbolize death. But a flower that also restores the innocence of the departed.

She is lost in her thoughts again, wondering who would replace the amaryllis with a lily. Was it one of her forest nymphs? No, it didn’t make sense. Could it have been one of Death’s angels? Or Death themself? But that didn’t make sense to Seulgi either.

By the time the goddess is once again aware of her surroundings, the pyre is lit, and she watches as the body of her priestess burn, along with the offerings to the underworld’s ferryman placed on her eyes. With sorrow in her heart, she stands with the family, unbeknownst to them, and she watches as the little girl clutches the lily tight in her hands as she cries. When all that remains are ashes, Seulgi decides it is time to fulfill her promise. She restocks the grain in their baskets, lets edible flowers grow within their fences, and the family watches in awe as an apple tree sprouts up from where the pyre once was. 

“See?” the father nudges his son, “Our goddess Seulgi favored her the best among all. And now, she blesses us.”

 


 

As Spring fades into Summer, Seulgi lets her brother take over, and her mind is free to wander as much as it wants, particularly still hung up on the mystery of Death.  

When Seulgi tries to picture Death in her head, she half expects to see a grotesque old man, with his skin hanging low, grabbing souls and dragging them to the underworld as they cry and plead for help. In her defense, she really meant it when she said all those months ago that Wendy had a better chance of meeting them. After all, as the Goddess of Spring, Seulgi is focused on life. As the deity in charge of the blossoming of flowers and the ripening of fruit, it’s safe to say that they’ve never had a reason to meet.

Even before the ‘Lily Incident’, it was clear that Death was something Seulgi was definitely curious about. And how could she not be? She hears the humans talk about Death constantly. Their fear, their worries, wondering when Death will come for them. There are a rare set of humans who are willing to accept Death and those are the ones that Seulgi is most curious about. Had they understood Death before her? A lowly human knowing more than a god? Impossible. 

Even when she’s in the thick of Joy’s most spectacular celebration, that is, the celebration in honor of the Goddess of Wine and Celebration, Seulgi cannot escape the talk of Death. Since it is one of the grandest on earth, many gods come down to witness the theatre performances and the merrymaking. But for some reason, when there is a gathering of the gods, even Death is a topic on their lips. 

They speak of Death often but never giving them a name. (Seulgi is pretty sure that Death has some other name, and surely, some god should know it.) And the talk? It’s mocking, mostly. Gossip too. They talk about Death’s cowardice of not being able to stand before the King. Or how Death hides behind their armies and uses angels to do their bidding. But there’s something about how they speak that makes Seulgi believe that there is fear lurking underneath all those words. Because from the way they refuse to name Death, the way they speak in hushed tones, their eyes darting around as if Death could emerge from the shadows at any moment and with all the mystery that surrounds Death, even though they have existed for millennia, Seulgi is absolutely sure that Death is more powerful than them all.

 


 

It is only after her brother passes the baton to their sister and Autumn is already in full swing, that Seulgi decides to visit the family again. 

She spots the daughter first and realizes she’s very young, probably around 5 human years. The girl is so small that she struggles to carry the watering can as she huddles close to a patch of soil right under the apple tree. The goddess watches in amusement as the little girl pours water on the little mound, and then kneels beside it, her eyes focused intently as if expecting it to grow on the spot.

Seulgi decides then and there that she adores this little girl. 

“Jiwoo! Come inside, it’s getting cold!” 

She kisses the palm of her hand and places her hand on the small mound of earth. “You will be the prettiest flower ever!” 

Seulgi knows she shouldn’t, but she can’t help but whip out a little bit of her power to sprout the little flower hiding underneath. Jiwoo’s eyes grow wide at the sight, and she squeals in delight as she calls for her mother to come look. Her mother looks more tired now than in the spring, Seulgi notices, but the smile on her face is genuine as she watches her daughter proudly stand in front of her little flower. 

And somehow, it becomes a habit. She doesn’t come every day, that would be irresponsible of her. But with her sister slowly turning the weather much colder and her last sibling already excited to have their turn, Seulgi drops by often enough to make sure that her favorite flower (and favorite little human) is staying strong. 

Spring arrives once more, and even as she celebrates her festival in another town, Seulgi returns to visit as soon as it’s over, only to find even more plants around the little flower. She is endlessly amused at how gentle Jiwoo is with all her plants, and even without the goddess’s help, they’re doing fine and blooming beautifully. 

Aside from watching the little girl work, Seulgi has also come to enjoy Jiwoo’s company. As weird as it may seem, when Jiwoo talks to her plants (and she talks a lot for a little girl) Seulgi feels like Jiwoo is talking directly to her. 

Jiwoo talks about her dad, who left to serve as a guard for the king and still hasn’t come home in almost a year. She was sad but her brother told her to be strong. Her brother is also beginning training, she doesn’t know for what, but he promised that come summertime, he’ll teach her to swim in the lake. Her mother is even more tired lately, always hugging her tightly every night as they sleep, but Jiwoo says she enjoys it. She says she’s tired too but that’s only because she keeps waking up at night.

Every time she visits Seulgi watches her move around the garden, and she listens and listens and— 

Seulgi realizes she should have been paying better attention.

She should have noticed how the little girl didn’t seem to get any bigger in the past year, in fact, her clothes were starting to look too big on her tiny frame. How over the last few visits, the bubbly girl stopped jumping with every new sprout, or how she could no longer carry the watering can but only drag it to its spot by the plants or how she’d lean against the apple tree for support.

It’s right in the middle of summer and the sun is high in the sky when Jiwoo collapses under the tree. Seulgi rushes over but knowing she cannot hold the little girl herself or any human that cannot see her, she begs the winds to knock fervently at the back door of the house. Jiwoo’s mom opens it with a flash of confusion on her face, but it’s all wiped away when she sees her daughter on the ground. She rushes the little girl inside, and Jiwoo’s brother runs to find the town doctor. 

Once again, the goddess stands with the family. She stands in the corner of their tiny home, watching everything unfold. And for an immortal being, Seulgi feels absolutely helpless. 

The doctor leaves after a couple of hours and Jiwoo’s eyes are still closed. Her mother starts crying and slumps down against the wall as soon as the door closes, while her brother stands at the foot of the bed, his hands curled into fists and his lips trembling. Seulgi understands that he is trying to be a man, especially with their father gone. But Seulgi can’t help but notice how tiny he looks as well. He himself is still a child and Seulgi wishes he didn’t have to witness his sister in this state. She places a hand on his shoulder, and she knows he can’t feel it… but what else can she do to comfort him?

She’s so engrossed in the family’s emotional distress that she doesn’t notice the hooded figure standing in the shadows of the tiny hut. She first feels a chill run up her spine, but Seulgi blames it on the poor heating in their home. It is only when the figure is sitting on the side of the bed, their hand reaching towards Jiwoo does she realize what is about to happen. 

“WAIT!” Seulgi cries. 

The hooded figure stops and Seulgi takes this chance to speak, “Please! Don’t… don’t take her away.” 

Similar to Wendy’s description, the hooded figure’s robes were pitch black, a kind of darkness attached to it that Seulgi could not even begin to describe. But there were no wings present, and the figure stands to face Seulgi in such a regal and powerful way that the goddess realizes that she is not speaking to one of Death’s angels but to Death themself. The chill is back again, now spreading throughout her whole being, but Seulgi fights the growing fear in her heart to protect Jiwoo. 

“I’m begging you, Lord of the Underworld, don’t take her away.” Seulgi can feel Death’s eyes watching her, and since Death has not said anything in reply, Seulgi takes this as her cue to continue her pleas. “Please, Your Majesty. Take me instead!” 

“I cannot take a god in exchange for a mortal’s life.”

Seulgi blinks, trying to focus on her argument, but there are two things she’s currently trying to process. One. Death is not a god but a goddess. Not the King of Death but a Queen. Two. Death has a really nice voice. 

Then, Death sighs, lowering her hood to reveal her face and Seulgi suddenly has another thing she has to process.

Death is beautiful. Stunning even. Her dark wide eyes, incredibly red lips, her pale skin that seems to rival the moon’s own glow, and her onyx hair framing her face. 

Seulgi manages to tear her eyes away from the breathtaking goddess before her. Partly because she was so beautiful, she didn’t feel worthy, and partly because her beauty was distracting. “I apologize, Queen of the Underworld, Goddess of the Dead. But please, if I may ask again, take me instead.” 

Death’s eyebrows quirk up in response. “What is a human to a god?” 

“I— please. She’s a child. Full of potential. There’s so much she still has to see. Her mother wants her to reach her 10th birthday! To sew her a beautiful dress and put flowers in her hair... Her- Her brother wants to take her to see the ocean. She had just learned to swim earlier this month! Her father... he hasn’t come home yet. I’m sure she is waiting to see him again.”

“Her father is not coming home,” is all Death replies, and Seulgi understands. 

“Please. She still has much to do... she’s so young.”

“This girl—”

“Her name is Jiwoo.” 

“Well, Jiwoo, is still 4 years away from her 10th birthday. I cannot return to the underworld empty-handed. I cannot claim your life, a god’s life, in exchange for that. So, if I do not claim her, I will need to claim someone else. Perhaps you would prefer the old farmer that lives down the road? Or the widow- “

“What if… what if I offer myself in service? It is not claiming if I am not dead, I hope? And if a place in the underworld is all you need to fill, then I will do it! For 4 years. Until a day after her 10th birthday.” 

“You don’t know what you’re asking for.” 

Seulgi knows that she is right. Seulgi had been curious about Death for years, but she still knew nothing about her nor the underworld. “I don’t care. I can’t let you take her. Not yet.”

Death sighs, “So be it.” She turns to pat Jiwoo on the head, fixing the strands of hair sticking to her forehead. 

She steps aside, nodding to Seulgi, and letting the goddess bless the household. She puts a singular flower on the table, just for the family to understand what has happened here. Death steps outside and Seulgi watches as Jiwoo opens her eyes and her family rushes over to embrace her. She hopes they live the next 4 years in happiness. She hopes that Jiwoo gets to have a life she deserves.

“Let’s go, Seulgi. The underworld awaits,” Death calls, already walking into the forest. 

When Seulgi manages to catch up, the first thing she asks is, “You know my name?” 

“Of course, I do. You are Seulgi, Goddess of Spring. I may not join the Hall of the Gods, but I do know of everyone,” Death replies. 

They walk deeper and deeper into the forest that Seulgi calls home. In the silence, Seulgi allows herself to take in everything she sees and hears before they are plunged into the darkness of the underworld. She listens to the sound of the birds chirping, the rushing of the river in the distance, she takes in the different colors of the flowers, and looks up at the trees, majestic and proud, but shy of each other. 

They walk until they reach the edge of the forest, a part that Seulgi herself did not realize existed. They come to a stop in front of rows of trees bound together by thick vines, some with thick piercing thorns, but those in the center are graced with beautiful purple wisteria draping down.

“Can I touch it?” 

There’s a look in Death’s eyes that Seulgi can’t comprehend and she thinks of saying she was joking but Death just replies, “Of course. They are yours after all.” 

“I don’t know where all my flowers go. But they look right at home here.” Seulgi says, after reaching up to touch them. 

“I agree.” Death then turns to Seulgi, her face now serious, “Seulgi, once you step through here, there is no turning back. Are you certain that this is what you want?” 

“If I change my mind, you’ll need to take Jiwoo right?” Death nods and Seulgi takes a deep breath. “Okay, I’m sure.” 

Death places her palm against one of the vines and Seulgi watches as they slither away, allowing them to pass through. 

“Wait!” 

“Do you want to go back? There is still time.”

“N-no. It’s just that… I’ll be with you for four years. And you know my name… and I don’t know yours. Unless Death is your real name? So, I can just call you that? Or do you prefer Lady Death? Queen Death? Or what’s the most appropriate? I don’t know the right protocol for this.”

“Irene.” 

“Huh?” 

“My name. It’s Irene.”