A Challenge

Ona
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 10: A Challenge

The Western Capital is the home of the birth mother of the current Second Princess. They are currently led by the Mi Clan. They had a strong tie with the crown even before, they kept on sending consorts to the Royal Palace to produce princesses to become an heir to the throne. The Mi clan has always been ambitious in gaining power.  They enjoy luxury, extravagance, and power. No one in the Mi clan has ever used their last name, they let themselves be known as the Mi clan with their pure emerald ornaments or jewelry. Many could copy it, but the carvings are difficult to copy, every accessory is hand-made by a family trusted by the Mi clan. Every design is unique. They are pure blood with a heightened sense of smell. They are predators not only figuratively, but also literally. They are also experts in poisonous potions because of their heightened sense of scent.

The current leader of the Clan is also the highest official in the West, her name is Risa. She is the daughter of the previous governor. The previous governor only took one wife but impregnated many and not everyone was acknowledged. Sana’s mother was one of the concubines' daughters, and she was acknowledged as a daughter of the previous governor, but still an illegitimate child. She was sent with the very intention to have her produce an heir. It was plotted to make the Empress fall for her and the West to gain the Empress’ favor.  They are indeed on the good side of the Empress even now.  The Empress is rather lenient toward them, she lets them govern the West without much interruption. The reports from the officials are that the West is thriving. The West is the richest region in Ona. The North may be the largest and the trade capital of the country, but the West has a large body of water that allows them to fish, and grow seafood that is sold to many neighboring countries. The West is also rich in minerals, so they produce the most high-quality gems, or even the currency in Ona could be made there. The West has the biggest bank in the country, even bigger than the one in the Capital. The Royal Family is entitled to everything that is in the country of Ona, but if one of the Governors tried to separate from the Crown, and become an independent nation there is no guarantee that it will not end in bloodshed.

The Royal Family cares too much about its people to avoid any event of war, which is why even though there are some hints that the poisoning of High Consort Miyu is caused by the West, they rather want to keep it to themselves. They knew it was from the West but they don’t know who could have done it.

“NO! I am not letting you go to the West!” Momo got a little emotional when her little sister insisted on leaving the Royal Palace to travel to the West. “Did we not agree that we will let this go?” The Empress spoke calmly but not having it as well. Sana clenches her jaw. She has not let go of anything even if it has been over a month since the incident. “Nothing happened to High Consort Miyu, and nothing occurred since then, so you should not be bothered by anything,” Momo spoke crossing her arms over her chest. “I am not going because I like to investigate what has happened, but I want to go with High Consort Miyu to introduce her to my birth mother’s family,” Sana said sincerely. “Why would you do that?” Momo asked authoritatively. “I have been thinking about it and I want to take Miyu as my wife,” Sana said standing still.

Empress Kry’s eyes widened and then she laughed so hard. Momo held on to her nape and her blood pressure just skyrocketed. It is unheard of that a Royal Axis would marry someone. They have given up the right to be married to anyone because when they consummate, and an heir is produced the birth mother dies. They cannot marry and live a happy life with their wives. It is considered as a negligence of their duty.

“You can’t marry her! They will have you strip off your title, and what if something happens to me and the Empress, you are the one next in line, what will happen to Ona if you are no longer the Princess of this country?” Momo says exasperated.

“I understand, but you are working on getting an heir now, right? You are constantly visiting High Consort Tzu and sooner or later you will be able to produce another heir, and I will be relieved of my duty.” Sana argued.

“Are you crazy? You’re going to exchange the future of a whole country for a girl?” Momo added.

“She is not just a girl, she is… I love her,” Sana looks on the ground confessing to her family about what she feels towards Mina. “What about the country? What about your responsibilities? She was brought here with the sole purpose of producing an heir, but what have you been doing? You are so scared of touching her or doing things to her because she could die! Stop acting like a child and accept your position, stop being selfish,” Momo said. She has been doing her duty accordingly ever since she visited the High Consort Tzu.

“I am not being selfish!” Sana says offended. “Then what do you think you are doing? We don’t have time to fall in love with someone! We have a lot of issues to solve as a country!” Momo is no

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter