Prologue

Ona
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

About 20 years ago

The country of Ona is preparing for a grand celebration because two of the high consorts are pregnant. They are expected to go into labor soon. They expect at least one of the two babies to be an Axis so that they would have an heir to the throne.

Empress Kry (FX Krystal) is only 19 years old but ascended to becoming the Empress as all her older siblings were ordinary.  Being the heir to the throne has a heavy responsibility to it. Other than taking care of everything in Ona, she is also tasked with producing an heir as many as possible. This is why the nation and bordering nations send her consorts to help in producing one. They send the best women for the Empress; however, a certain law only allows the Royal family to be presented with Pureblood, except the ones from bordering nations.

The Empress duly understands her duty, and so as the consorts. They know whatever they do to consummate is for the nation's sake. They are not even bothered by emotions or feelings.  Well, the Empress is not but consorts tend to fall for her. Not only she is the most powerful woman in the nation, but she also has good looks and a certain aura that makes them want to chase the empress more. She is charismatic and her looks pierce through someone’s soul wanting to devour them.

She is certainly a Goddess that attracts everyone. From old bureaucrats, young maidens, and even the soldiers that guard her. She has such an overpowering aura.

 

Empress Kry takes a deep breath. She looks at the moon. She believed that she is not bothered about the consorts who are in labor but that is not entirely true. She looks at the dark sky and the moon greets her.  She reminisces about the night visits she made with the consorts. They were kind to her. They serve her tea and talk to her in different tones with their charms. There was a rumor that once an ordinary person bore a Royal Axis, their lives would not be spared even if they were pure blood.

It is believed that it is the curse of the Royals and they lived with it. Empress Kry’s birth mother died the moment she howled in a cry. The other consorts who bore ordinaries wished it was them, they believed it was a small sacrifice for the Nation. Their lives.

Empress Kry wishes that both consorts would bear ordinaries. She would not hate it if they would still be alive and if she could visit them as often as she used to even when they were pregnant.

 

“Excuse me, Your Majesty, I am here to report about the progress of the laboring ladies,” A soldier knelt before the Empress.

“Speak,” The Empress answered still gazing at the dark sky.

“The Lady Aya (Aya Asahina) seemed to be doing well in her labor, she is taking walks and is still in good condition, with no complications according to the doctors, they believed that it may be a little early for her to go in labor, but they are preparing all the necessary process to make sure she’s going to have a safe delivery,” She reported still kneeling and bowing to the Empress.

 

The Empress hinted with a smile that Aya is doing well. Aya is a childhood friend of the Empress. She was pureblood, a daughter of an official. They do look alike; people might say that they are distant relatives. Maybe they were. It is not unheard of that the Royals are being partnered with their kin.

The Empress remembers how they normally switched when they were young, Aya would be Princess Kry for a day, and the Empress would pretend to be Aya. Not everyone in the palace would recognize the switch except the ones who were always with the princess at that time.

Aya did not want to be Kry’s consort. An advisor would be the perfect role for her but they both knew that Aya was put next to the Princess to become a consort. Aya’s axis mother has always informed her about it.

The Empress did not care a bit about the intention for she knew that Aya and her share a deep bond. She would rather always have the lady next to her. She planned to consummate with her and hoped that Aya would bear an ordinary so she would be around.

 

“Lady Mio (Imada Mio), on the other hand, seemed to be having trouble with her labor, she had been experiencing enormous contractions, she was encouraged to do some walking but was unable to get off her bed, the lady experiencing so much pain, and is watched by the doctors all the time,” The soldier said briefly.

The Empress knows that this information is filtered. Mio could be in a more dangerous state, but they ought for the Empress not to worry much. However, she secretly despises these officials who only look at her consorts as machines to produce heirs.

The Empress's relationship with Mio is not as deep as Aya's. The lady was brought to her after ascending to the throne about ten months ago. She is the type of woman that the Empress has never met before. It was a rumor that the Empress refused to bed with another consort than Lady Aya but Lady Mio breaks that certain rumor when she got pregnant with the Empress.

It was the first meeting that made the Empress all intrigued with Mio. She is a proud woman and seems to be not bothered by the Empress's stature. She acts demure in front of the public but childish and brute in front of the Empress. She made her laugh, and the Empress felt warm around her.

Her smile brightens the Empress’s Day.

It was addicting to be around her, that is what the Empress would think when she heard Mio’s name.

It was not true that she was unbothered. She cared deeply about them, if one bore an Axis heir, one of them would be gone. Empress wishes for a miracle that the curse would be lifted even just to one.

The Empress is completely aware of what she feels towards the consorts in labor, yet she isn’t allowed to show her true emotions. Aya would understand if she visited Mio. The other, on the other hand, would feel terrible to have taken time from the Empress. Mio would reprimand her that she is not the only one who is bearing a child and should visit Aya too. However, the involvement of different political views would never be understood, which is why the Empress ought to keep her distance to not show favor to the other.

But she knows, she would exchange anything to see them at least for the last time if one of them is born the heir.

The Empress patiently waits for news in the days that come. They have entered the 11th month of the year. Yet, no babies were born. The empress once again looks at the sky, and somehow, the moon is speaking to her. It had been a couple of weeks since the last update. If only she could burst into the consorts' palace to see how things are going now. But her position permits her to do so.

When she heaves a sigh. She heard a bell and white smoke appeared coming from the East.

The East? The Empress furrowed her eyebrows. It is where the palace consort Mio lives. The white smoke indicates that the Lady has already given birth. However, in the Empress’ mind, Lady Aya should be the first one who should give birth.

“Your Majesty, permission to speak,” A soldier knelt in front of the Empress.

Empress Kry tightens her jaw. Before allowing the soldier to speak.

“An Heir wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter