Dream or Reality

Secretly Living With You

“See you tomorrow!” I waved goodbye to my faithful secretary as I headed out the door and into the elevator.

Today had been rather eventful, finding out I had a rather erted cat, making a (sort of) friend at a park, and discovering I had way more files than I had expected. Thus, it is almost 10 o’clock at night and I’m just leaving the office.

Poor Bacon, I don’t think he’s even eaten dinner yet. I’ll stop by the convenience store later.

By the time I had picked up some food and gotten to my front door, it was almost 10:30. I was rather worried about him, hoping that nothing had happened while I was gone.

When I opened the door, an amazing smell wafted towards me. I slowly walked into the house, trying to absorb as much of it as possible, in case it was a dream.

Turning the corner, I walked into the kitchen and saw Bacon sitting on a chair, looking as if he was waiting for me this whole time.

“Hey kitty cat, have you been waiting for me this whole time?”

I smiled at him until I looked at what was on the table.

The set up was gorgeous, with lily flowers placed in a beautiful glass vase at the center of the table. Tiny little peach scented candles were placed around the vase, giving the whole scene a romantic feeling.

The food on the table happened to be the ones I’ve been craving. I haven’t been back to China in about five years, and had started to feel homesick. I missed my mom’s Mongolian beef, my dad’s noodle soup, and all of the food my grandparents would bring over on random occasions. I missed them so much I made a small list, stuck it to the fridge, and told myself to try to make them again someday. And there they were, right before my eyes. Mongolian beef, spicy but not too spicy, noodle soup with parsley for flavor, and a big bowl of white rice.

I was about to dig in when I realized something strange.

I live alone.

I’m the only one with a key to my house.

Who could’ve made this?

I quickly slammed my chopsticks down onto the table, making Bacon jump from fright.

“Sorry Bacon, I’ll be right back. Don’t move!”

Like a ninja, I stealthily searched through each room, trying to make sure there weren’t any stalkers or erts or whatever else.

After deciding that it was safe and that no one was currently in my house, I looked at all the openings into my apartment.

All of my windows were sealed shut, and none of them looked like they’d been forced open, so that’s out. The lock on my door seems to be working fine, and doesn’t seem like it’s been picked.

What happened?

Who cooked?

Why aren’t they here?

Why is Bacon eating without me?

I watched as my cat happily ate the noodles that he had somehow maneuvered onto a plate in front of him.

Wait what?

I looked at the table again and noticed how it was set for two. One for me, and one for…

My cat.

Or maybe the person that made it had left in a hurry or something. Either way, my cat gets food, so I guess he’s happy about that.

“Hey Bacon, did you happen to see who made all of this?”

He just looked at me with those beautiful eyes and kept right on eating.

“Okay kitty cat, I guess food is more important to you.”

I smiled at him and started heaping food onto my own plate.

We ate in a comfortable silence; occasionally Bacon would meow and ask me to move more noodles onto his plate.

He’s so adorable when he eats. It’s not even fair.

Without realizing it, my hand reached out to his cheek. His fur is so soft.

Bacon suddenly froze, with a noodle halfway into his mouth. My hand was still on his cheek so I quickly pulled it back and awkwardly looked away.

“I’m going to turn on the TV okay?”

Since I’ve only had him for two days, I guess he still wasn’t used to me, so I wanted to give him some space.

I grabbed the remote and flipped through the channels to see if anything interesting was happening. I stopped on one channel where the announcer was reading through a missing persons list. I watched as pictures of missing people moved across the screen, and I couldn’t help but start to tear a little at the sight. Their families and friends must miss them so much.

A certain name caught my eye.

Byun Baekhyun, idol group singer, missing for two days.

I sighed as I turned off the TV. I looked over to see that Bacon had nestled at my feet and had fallen asleep.

Smiling, I stood up to blow out the candles on the table and grabbed a blanket from my bedroom. Walking back to the couch, I gently picked him up as I lay down on the couch and set him beside me. Pulling the blanket up, I fell asleep to the gentle purrs of my Bacon.