Mom-In-Law's Needs

Anything but Bored

     "She wants to do what?" Heechul said in a near yell. The only thing that probably kept him from raising his voice was that the twins were taking a nap.

     "Don't worry, Chul," Hankyung said. "I told her I had to talk to you first."

"You're not letting her come, right?"

     "Well..."

"Yah! Tan Hankyung! I am NOT letting that woman anywhere near my children," Heechul said, shaking his head.

     "Listen. I know how things are between you both, but she and Dad really need a place to stay. Dad had major surgery, and she's in no position to take care of him on her own. Her condition's been acting up recently," Hankyung begged. "Please, Chul."

     Heechul slumped in his chair, musing over how to respond.

"If it means anything," Hankyung began. "Dad doesn't have much against you."

     "Fine, but only because they really need it," Heechul mumbled.

"Thank you so much," Hankyung said, hugging Heechul.

     "But if she does so much as to say anything bad about my children-"

"I promise I won't let her say or do anything to harm or degrade the kids or you. Do you understand me?"

     Heechul nodded. "Okay. I...just...how am I supposed to live with her breathing down my neck constantly?"

"I'll pull the reigns in on her. How does that sound?"

     "A muzzle would also be nice."

"Chul."

     "Sorry."

Hankyung nodded. "I love you. Don't get me wrong, but you're going to have to be mature about this, too."

     "I will once she grows up, too."

"You do realize she has a name."

     Heechul rolled his eyes. "Once your mom grows up, too."

"Thank you. I know you're smart enough to not make things worse on your part. You're not like that."

     "I guess not. Where will your parents be staying? Is the guest room big enough for them?"

Hankyung nodded. "We'll just have to move a few things so Dad can get around more easily."

     "Alright. When are they coming?"

"Some time next week."

     "Next week?" Heechul yelled, forgetting the napping twins. He immediately regretted his outburts once they started to cry. "Damn it!" he said, beginning to get up. Hankyung stopped him.

     "It's alright. I'll check on them."

"Thanks."

     Once Hankyung left, Heechul sat on the bed, processing everything he and Hankyung had just discussed. Had he really just agreed to letting his in-laws stay with them? He did have to admit he felt a strange twinge of sympathy towards their predicament. And if anything, maybe it'd be good for the kids to get to know them a little. Well, that's what Hankyung had said, anyway.

     "They're fine, Chul. Just crabby."

"Okay. I'm sorry about my outburst. I just didn't expect them to be coming so soon." 

     "It's okay," Hankyund replied. "I'm sorry I had to tell you on such short notice."

"It wasn't your fault. This was all sprung on you," Heechul said. "Hey."

     "Hmm?"

"Maybe...maybe this won't be so bad. I don't think your mom resents the kids as much as I feel she does. I think your dad would really like to meet them, too."

     Hankyung nodded. "I mean, it's pretty hard not to fall in love with those faces."

"Well, they are half of me, you know."

     "So you're saying that I had no part in their good looks?"

Heechul shrugged. "Just enough."

     "What's that supposed to mean?" Hankyung chuckled.

"It's supposed to mean your good genetics didn't outshine mine. Any more from you and they would have been too perfect."

     "You are something else."

Heechul laughed. "Well, at least I'm not everyone else."

     "You sure aren't, Chul," Hankyung smiled. "You sure aren't."