Getting Close

I Love You, Mr. Delinquent

*Jieun’s POV*

“What are your plans for the Christmas Concert?” I decided to eat lunch with Myungsoo because I need to discuss to him about his plans for the upcoming Christmas Concert which is annually done here in the school and he is the first one that asked me to lunch so I grabbed the chance. His participation for the concert is one of the punishments that Mrs. Song gave to him with accordance to his rule-breaking acts. But what weird about him today is that he is not making any eye contact with me. We have been talking for about 30 minutes, but whenever he talks, he would just look at his food or stare at the ground.

“Plans? Christmas Concert?”  He looked at me with a shocked expression. Finally! He already looked at me.

“I believe you completely forgotten about your punishment.”

“Oh! I remember! I just need to be like a crew or staff or something right? I don’t need to perform or whatever.”

“Actually, you need to perform.”

“WHAT?! NO! I WON’T PERFORM IN FRONT OF THE WHOLE SCHOOL POPULATION IN A STAGE! NO! THAT’S A VERY BIG NO!”

“There’s nothing you could about it.”

“I won’t perform! No, I won’t!”

“Ok, what do you prefer, be a janitor and clean the school facilities for a month or perform in the Christmas Concert for just a night? You choose.”

He remained silent for a while keeping an annoyed look on his face.

“Ok fine, I’ll do it.”

“Good. Then what will you do? Are you going to dance, sing or be part of the acting crew?”

“I’m going to think about it.”

“Ok then. Just inform me when you have already decided. I’m going now. My next class will start soon.” Then I left with smile on my face. I’m happy that he agreed because I really want to see him perform. I want to see a different side of him. Why I would want that? Well, let’s just say that I have grown interest on him. I want to know him better.

 

 

 

*Myungsoo’s POV*

Oh God. What did I just put myself into?

“Hyung, it’s going to be alright.” Daehyun tries to comfort me while munching on his cheesecake.

“Daehyun, you know that it’s not going to be just easy. Maybe you guys could help me?”

“And how are we supposed to help you, hyung?” L.Joe asked.

“Maybe you could perform with me?”

“Well, I can’t because I myself is not going to watch that concert.” Dongjun hyung stated.

“I’m on the technical team. Sorry, I won’t perform.” CNU said

Then I switched my gaze to L.Joe and Daehyun but they avoided it.

“I can’t do this alone.”

“Then why don’t you ask help from Jieun?”Dongjun hyung suggested.

“Hyung, I’m not crazy enough to do that.”

“This could be your chance to get close to her, you know.”

Yeah. That’s not a bad idea. I already admitted to myself that I sort of like Ms. Prez. I realized that there’s nothing completely wrong if I like her. She doesn’t have a boyfriend anymore and as far as I know, she is completely over with Jongup. I am not dating anyone at the moment so it’s really ok if I like her. I also believe that she doesn’t despise me that much anymore. But if she still despise me, then being close to her is going to be a challenge, just how I like it to be.

 

 

 

*the next day*

*Jieun’s POV*

“That is how you could derive the answer 9x+7y-2c.”

I wonder when this boring math class will end. Why the boring subjects are are always taught by boring teachers with very low volume voice and slow motion way of speaking? I can’t really help but fall asleep. But of course I try not to.

The teacher keeps on talking and talking about things I can’t understand. Since I’m in the end of the row and I’m near the window, I just decided to look in that direction when I saw Myungsoo peeking. He is looking at me and gave me a smile, which I think is cute. Then he raised a paper. In that paper is written the question “When is your lunch break?”

I get my notebook and I replied. “After this boring math class.”

He smiled and wrote something. “Is Mr. Kang your teacher right now?”

I replied again. “Yes, he is.”

“Aww, poor you. “

“What are you doing outside the classroom, anyway?”

“Waiting for you.”

“And why?”

“I want to eat lunch with you again. And I have some favor to ask.”

“What is it?”

“We’ll talk about that later. Right now, I want to tell you that Mr. Kang is looking at you. “

I put my attention back in front and Mr. Kang is really looking at me.

“Lee Jieun, could you please do the solution to the problem on the board?”

“Yes, Mr. Kang.”

 And from my peripheral vision, I could see Kim Myungsoo, laughing his off.

 

 

I answered the problem on the board correctly and he dismissed the class afterwards. Myungsoo and his laugh welcomed me as I got outside.

“Stop laughing. Nothing’s funny.”

“Well there is. First is your epic reaction to Mr. Kang’s stern look on you and second is how you solved the problem on the board.”

“What’s funny with me solving the problem?”

“I didn’t know you could be so dumb.”

“Excuse me?!” I was insulted for a moment

“You could have used the shortcut in solving it.”

“Well, I’m sorry Mr. Smarty Pants. But I’m not a fan of shortcuts.”

“It may come in handy, you know.”

 

We reached the canteen and bought our lunch. It’s nice that he can talk to me with eye contact.

“The favor that I want to ask is actually concerning the Christmas Concert.”

“What about it?”

“Can you...well, perform with me?”

“What? Why?”

“I really have this weakness of mine. I don’t like performing on stage alone. “

 

“You have a phobia?”

“Not really. But it’s more like a traumatic experience. I don’t really want to talk about it right now. So do you agree or not?”

It feels so nice to know another thing about Myungsoo and I’m happy that he told me about it even if he doesn’t include the details. It’s not easy to admit having a weakness or being afraid of something and stuff like that. I don’t know but there’s something inside of me that wants to know Myungsoo more. I find Myungsoo like a mystery that I need to discover. A treasure that I need to dig deep to find.

“Ok. I agree.”

I don’t know but it’s like there’s a force inside me that is pushing me to be more close to Myungsoo and I don’t hate it like before. I’m actually starting to like it.