Never Regret

Torn In Two Because Of You
Please log in to read the full chapter

1942, night

Berlin, Germany

Leo

 

Renada's silhouette materialized at the door, a nocturnal visitor seeking entrance. I posed the obvious query, my voice tinged with bewilderment, "How did you get here?"

"I walked," her response carried a casual air, "May I come in?"

Seated within the living room, an air of tension enveloped us.

"Where is your friend?"

"Asleep," I replied, tension woven into my tone.

Her countenance dimmed momentarily.

"Ah, I see. I wanted to share this with him," Renada handed me a file, evoking my confusion. "A few days ago, I walked past this house and felt a curious inclination to acquaint myself with its inhabitants. I queried your neighbours, and they revealed that this house belonged to a certain Monsieur and Madame Engel."

"Matteo's parents," I clarified.

"Discovering that only you and Matteo reside here, I delved into the archives at the German embassy," Renada explained preemptively, sensing my protest.

"But—"

"I was granted access due to political and diplomatic connections. My aunt shares a close bond with an SS officer," she elaborated, her stance unyielding. "This file holds records of those killed and deported on November 9th and 10th."

As I perused the file's contents, Renada revealed the harrowing truth.

"Ansel Engel, aged thirty-eight, born May 22nd, 1900 – perished November 9th, 1938. Zemirah Engel (née Schmidt)

Please log in to read the full chapter