Book One: Chapter 6

Crown of Thorns
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Book One: Chapter 6

Eunbi wakes to pain. The wound in her side is deep enough to throb to every heart beat and she lies for a moment, staring at the darkened canopy above her bed and breathing slowly in and out. This sort of pain is not unfamiliar to her; several years in the battlefield has given her plenty of scars to tell stories about, but it has been quite some time since she last received one. The sensation makes her feel powerless and utterly vulnerable, and her fingers inch under her pillow to find the cold touch of the dagger she keeps there. She is allowed only these few moments of quiet in her dark, painful world, before a hitching of her breath startles her handmaiden minder into wakefulness.

Yara hurries to her side, fussing over her anxiously, and Eunbi tries to give her a weary smile, which she does not return. The girl fetches Nyko, Winterfell’s healer, who appears so quickly that Eunbi fears he had been sleeping in the corridor, close at hand. The man is kindly and quiet, but firm. She had been administered milk of the poppy the day before, and despite sleeping until first light this morning she still feels tired. Nyko gives her another, smaller dose, and inspects her wound despite her protests. What he finds satisfies him.

“There is no sign of infection and the bleeding has nearly stopped.” He tells her, in his deep voice, and Eunbi tries to get her swimming head to focus on his words. Nyko can see through her façade, and he laughs, touching at her shoulder in an attempt to keep her from rising. “Bed rest for at least three days.” He instructs her, firmly, and Eunbi rolls her eyes, but nods her assent.

Confined to her bed, she is unable to escape the fury of both Yunho and Chaewon, who enter her chamber as soon as Nyko deems her well enough. Chaewon paces and threatens and curses the soldier whose hand she put her sword in. She is still without her cloak and Eunbi makes a mental note to have another one made for her. It is strange to see her without it. For once, Yunho agrees with her, and together they are halfway to planning the man’s death before Eunbi can stop them. She doesn’t dare to say that she was distracted by the sight of a certain golden haired visitor talking with her guard and a stranger Eunbi didn’t recognise. It takes almost an hour of convincing to make them leave, and when she eventually pleads that her injury is paining her, Chaewon casts her s suspicious glance as she walks out of the door.

Yujin comes to sit with her throughout the day, and his company is much kinder to her spirit than her angry advisors. She sits up in bed and talks him through her correspondence, explaining their relationship to the Iron Bank and the yield needed on the early spring crops to make up for the long winter. He concentrates for some time, but when the sun has crested in the sky she can see that his eyes dart to the window and knows that she has kept him in her dark rooms for too long.

Alone for the afternoon, she sleeps for fleeting moments, and picks at the abundance of dishes sent up to her from the kitchen. Sweet milk and thinly sliced apples, porridge mixed with honey and dates and a soft, sweet sponge stack up along her bed, interspersed with the letters and parchments, but she has little appetite for it. The direwolves lie about her floor. They are often to be found together when she is injured, and they flop about the room, grooming one another and dozing. Liberty rests her head on the bed where Eunbi can it and she offers bites of her food to Patience and Faith when they whine. When the kitchen girl appears for the fifth time to deposit a light chicken broth, she tuts quietly at the food leftover and Eunbi is sure that she will report her to Leanna.

As the kitchen girl leaves, Yara appears at her bed chamber door, shifting unhappily from foot to foot and Eunbi gestures for her to speak.

“Lady Sakura is in your solar, my queen. She’s asking to see you.”

“Oh,” Eunbi glances down at herself, sat in her great bed with food and dogs and books around her, and flushes.  “I suppose-”

“I did tell her you were not to be moved, your majesty.” Yara grumbles, “And that it wouldn’t do to have you receive her in your chamber.”

“It’ll be fine, Yara,” Eunbi soothes her handmaiden and gestures to the bed. “If you could just…”

“Of course,” Yara steps around the direwolves as if they were pups, well used to their presence, and even dares to shoo Liberty off the bed. The sandy beast growls lowly, but scampers off the bed at Yara’s firm expression. She collects all of the platters and dishes and puts them to one side as Eunbi piles together her parchments and books. After a moment of hesitation, Yara reaches behind her to help readjust her pillows, until she can sit up straight and pull her long braid over one shoulder. She is already wearing a heavy, fur lined robe to cover her decency, but Yara smooths the bed covers out and adds a grey fur on top.

“Alright,” Eunbi says at last, “See her in.”

Lady Sakura enters hesitantly at Yara’s side. Her golden hair falls in waves about her shoulders, braided in a softer pattern than Eunbi has seen it in before, and the blue velvet of her dress, with it’s long sleeves and golden trim, make her eyes seem as deep as the sapphire pendant around her neck. She pauses in the doorway, her eyes taking in every inch of the room, before landing on Eunbi, sat calm and serene in her large bed.

“Lady Sakura,” She says, with as much dignity as she can offer. “Welcome.”

“Thank you, your majesty,” Lady Sakura drops a small curtsey, her eyes flickering over the direwolves nervously. “And thank you for allowing me an audience.”

“Of course,” Eunbi bows her head courteously. “What can I do for you?”

Lady Sakura hesitates and then says, slowly, “I actually- just wanted to see how you are.”

“Oh,” Eunbi tries desperately to school her expression into something other than shock, but based on the look Yara has on her face she is unsuccessful. “I- I see. Well, please take a seat.” She gestures around the room in general and Lady Sakura’s eyes flicker to one of the many comfortable arm chairs in the corners of the room, before her eyes find the high backed chair at Eunbi’s side, which Yujin had dragged closer earlier. A flicker of determination passes through the crease in her eyes and the set in her lips, and Eunbi tries not to be impressed when she lifts her skirts around her ankles and steps carefully around the direwolves until she can settle into that chair.

Eunbi’s eyes move to Yara’s waiting figure and she says. “You can leave us Yara, thank you.”

Yara’s eyes flicker between them, but she gives a curtsey and then Eunbi is alone in a room with Sakura of House Tyrell, as she has never been before.

A moment of awkward silence passes between them, before Eunbi says, a little haltingly.

“You were good to come, Lady Sakura. I am quite well.”

“So your healer told me.” Sakura’s eyes pass over her body and Eunbi feels exposed, despite the many layers covering her. She remembers clearly the feeling of Lady Sakura’s hands on her skin, her eyes so intense and fierce above her. “I wanted to see for myself. I’m rather invested in your recovery.”

“That’s understandable,” Eunbi concedes. “I was hoping to have the opportunity to thank you more formally when I am able, but I’d like to thank you-”

“I didn’t come here for thanks,” Sakura cuts through her and a beat of silence, surprised and still, passes between them before Eunbi says, softly.

“Regardless, I am thankful. Nyko says you could well have saved my life.”

Sakura snorts at that, “I doubt that, you’re wound isn’t that deep and I’m sure Lady Mormont would have figured out to add pressure.”

“Still, it was you who moved first.” Eunbi’s eyes meet hers and in the low afternoon light streaming in from the window, Lady Sakura looks like one of the great stained windows in the septs, soft and glowing. “I remember that.”

“One of the downsides of being so awed is that people don’t know what to do in a crisis, I imagine,” Sakura fixes her with a smile and she laughs, brows creasing when she jars her wound.

“I suppose so. It is a good thing you are not so awed.”

“I knew it would be useful.”

Eunbi’s eyes move over her, surveying the southern lady closely and she is serious when she speaks again. “Why did you do it?”

Lady Sakura’s eyes crease, lips parting softly in surprise, “What?”

“I was under the impression that you didn’t like me or my ways.” She keeps her voice steady and even, no accusation. “Why try so hard to help someone you despise?” It is a question afforded to them by their privacy, never would Eunbi ask this in front of her court. But here in the quiet of her chambers, she is able to talk freely.

For a moment it seems as though Sakura will not answer, her eyes fixed to the bed coverings, and Eunbi almost opens to excuse her, but then the southern lady speaks.

“Do you really think so little of me that I would let you die just because we disagreed?”

Eunbi’s brows crease, dropping open, “No, of course not.”

“That is what you just asked me, though.” Sakura’s eyes meet hers and the hurt she sees in the twist of her face is almost painful. “I knew that northerners hated southerners but I didn’t think-”

“Lady Sakura,” Her hand reaches out before she even realises it, and her fingers brush across Sakura’s softly. Sakura jolts, surprised, and wide eyes meet hers. “Forgive me, that was not what I meant. I would never question your honour like that, I know that you are a brave and dignified woman.”

Eunbi sees her swallow heavily before she speaks. “Thank you.” Her eyes flicker away and Eunbi withdraws her hand, suddenly distinctly aware of the contact. “I may not agree with you, your majesty, but I have no wish to see you harmed. You are an honest, kind woman and a good queen to your people.” Her eyes dart back to Eunbi and she says, her voice stilted with forced mirth. “Besides, for all I know you are the only person here between Lady Chaewon and I, and I fear she wants to rip my throat out.”

She laughs again, and hears the soft, husky sound of Sakura’s laughter join hers. “That may be true,” She concedes, “But now that you’ve saved my life, I think Lady Chaewon will be in your debt.”

“I hope not,” Sakura confesses, still smiling. “I would not know what to do with her gratitude.”

“It is rarely given,” Eunbi admits, and smooths down the pelt across her legs. “But you are safe I think, from what I have heard this morning she has focused her attentions on the soldier I trained with.”

“It wasn’t his fault.” Lady Sakura rolls her eyes, and Eunbi’s brows shoot up, her lips twitching at the sight of such impertinence.

“Oh really?”

Lady Sakura pushes a strand of hair behind her ear, answering surely. “He was a green recruit, he must have known no better and been desperate to prove himself to his queen. Besides,” She sets the queen with a look quite unlike any Eunbi has ever seen, “You were training with Valyrian steel, you both deserved to lose a finger at least.”

Her eyebrows shoot up, “You recognise Valyrian steel?”

“My father’s blade is made of the stuff,” Sakura tells her, and her eyes soften. “I almost lost many fingers to it when I was a child, I know it’s dangerous.” There is a moment of silence between them, Sakura’s eyes hazy with thought. “Have you heard anything from him?” She asks, abruptly, and Eunbi blinks, surprised.

“I’m afraid not,” The girl’s face falls at her words, and she attempts to joke. “But I have also heard less from your mother, for which I thank you.”

“Oh,” Sakura smiles again, though it is with exasperated good humour, “You’re welcome, though I now receive three letters from her for every one I return.”

“I’m sure she misses her daughter,” Eunbi placates, and Sakura’s brows draw together, but she is saved from answering by Faith’s approaching figure.

Lady Sakura flinches away, just slightly, as the direwolf noses at her leg curiously, and Eunbi can see how her body has become stiff and fearful.

“They will not hurt you,” She tells her, quietly, and Sakura startles at the sound.

“I just- they are such queer creatures. So foreign to me.”

“You must have heard stories,” Eunbi pats at the bed invitingly, and Liberty resumes her place from earlier, curling up to place her large head on Eunbi’s lap. Her tongue pokes from and her eyes close immediately as Eunbi begins scratching between her ears. “But they are not the fearsome creatures you have heard of, not really. Like any animal, if you treat them with respect they will return it.”

Sakura’s eyes flicker down to where Faith looks at her, hopefully and Eunbi gestures at the platters on the table beside her bed, within reach.

“Try to feed her, maybe that’s what she wants.”

Sakura reaches out, and takes a piece of juicy venison from off the plate, holding it cautiously out for Faith. The direwolf immediately darts forward, eating it from her fingers and off the juice for good measure. It startles a surprised laugh from Sakura’s mouth and when she looks up at Eunbi it is with amazement. Eunbi can feel an answering smile pulling at her own lips and she nods to the dish. Slowly, Sakura feeds Faith until the plate is empty and the direwolf, seeming to sense it, rumbles a soft gratitude and puts her head into Sakura’s lap.

Sakura stares down at her, looking to Eunbi for help and at her instruction, she runs a tentative hand down Faith’s white fur.

“I’m afraid you have no venison left,” She says, quietly and Eunbi shakes her head.

“I have enough food left to feed the whole of Winter Town, I’m glad it went to someone who enjoyed it.”

Sakura hums her agreement, and is quiet again, running her hands over Faith’s ears. The direwolf’s tail is wagging softly on the floor, swishing with every movement and the sound is enough to send Eunbi to sleep, until Sakura says.

“Thank you… for the lemon cakes.”

“Oh,” Eunbi’s face heats at the mention of the treats and when her eyes meet Sakura’s it is with a terrible uncertainty that she has never felt before. What she finds is blue, clear and bright, and she drowns in it. “It was my pleasure.”

---

The queen’s chambers are lit with soft candles and a fire flickering in the hearth when Chaewon steps in. There are tapestries on many of the walls, thick and woven with earthy tones, and rolled scrolls litter many of the surfaces. She finds the queen sat at her table, a long structure made from dark ironwood and groaning under the weight of the many books and parchments she has piled it with. Eunbi is holding a letter, her eyes focused, and she twists a dagger absent mindedly between her fingers as she reads.

“You’ll bleed yourself dry if you’re not careful.” Chaewon’s voice makes her startle, the dagger falling to the table with a clatter. “Not that you haven’t already tried,” Chaewon adds, eyes sliding down her body critically. Eunbi is still a little pale, but other than her stiff movement there is no sign of the wound she suffered.

“Chaewon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter