Interlude: Betrayal

Crown of Thorns
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Interlude: Betrayal

 

The candles are glowing, casting away the storm darkened skies outside, as Eunbi lounges upon her throne in the quiet hall, and watches as Yujin tries to train the pesky puppy Sakura had gifted him. The pup is spoiled and loved more than any dog Eunbi has ever met, she knows that Yujin adores her and takes full advantage of his love with every hair on her tiny, wriggling body. She is used to playing and sleeping in his bed and eating from his fingers, and so has none of the discipline of the working dogs who parented her. Instead she stares at Yujin with wide, eager eyes, her little tail wiggling so hard it makes her entire body shake, and watching as he holds the cured meat too high for her to jump and reach it. Her floppy ears bounce as she lets out a little bark, and Yujin shushes her. At Eunbi’s side, Honour- who has been watching the puppy with disdain- doesn’t flinch, but Patience, who is dozing at her feet, and Faith, whose head lies in her lap, open their eyes and glare at the puppy with annoyance.

“Rose!” Yujin tries to be stern, pointing his finger at the pup. “Quiet! Now sit, sit Rose!” The puppy just stares at him, her head cocked inquisitively, and jumps up, ready to play and run.

Eunbi can’t help but laugh when Yujin groans.

“No, foolish mutt,” But he bellies his words by bending and scratching at the puppy’s head.

“She is spoiled,” Eunbi observes, still grinning. “She knows you’ll give her the treat anyway, so why bother obeying?”

“She’s loved ,” Yujin corrects, and straightens up again, “C’mon Rose, I know you can do this. Sit girl!”

The puppy continues to stare at him, her tail still wagging as if this is the most fun she’s ever had, and Yujin groans again. Carefully, he bends to pat at her rear, but instead of sitting, the puppy just spins to nip at his fingers, and then becomes distracted by her own tail. Above her, Eunbi thinks that she hears Honour sigh.

“You were just like her when you were young,” She laughs, and stands, stretching as the rain begins to patter against the windows. “Never could sit still long enough to learn anything.”

“She’ll get there, won’t you Rose?” Yujin gives in, just as Eunbi said he would, and feeds the puppy the meat, and the moment the pup is done devouring her prize, she rewards him by jumping in his arms and showering his face with kisses.

“You should send her to the dog boys for a few weeks, they’d soon straighten her out.”

Yujin stares at her, appalled by the suggestion, and grasps the puppy tighter in his arms. “I would never abandon her like that.”

Eunbi laughs again, shaking out the stiffness in her limbs as a knock comes to the broad doors, and a servant steps inside.

“Your highness, your majesty,” The servant bows deeply, “Maester Yunho is looking for you, your majesty.”

Eunbi presses back a groan and gives Yujin a wry smile. “The work of a queen never ceases.” Walking past them, the wolves at her heels, she gives the puppy’s ears a ruffle. “She’ll get there, don’t worry.”

Maester Yunho waits for her in her solar, and Eunbi is in a good enough mood to give him a smile when she enters.

“Maester Yunho,” She settles behind her desk and looks up at him, “What can I do for you today?”

“I have received a raven from Kings Landing, your majesty,” Maester Yunho is looking at her in a way that she doesn’t fully recognise, a note of caution in his voice and her brows crease, the hairs on her neck rising as he sets the note down in front of her. “I know you asked not to hear any

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter