Interlude: In the North

Crown of Thorns
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Interlude: In the North

Spring settles around the north, a cooler, milder version of its sister to the south. The snows melt away and they are instead left with overcast skies and rainfall which proves too much for the rivers and streams that run through her land. What were once babbling brooks turn into fast flowing rivers which eat away at farm land and wash away precariously placed homes. Her days are taken up with petitions from farmers for help compensating their loss and crops and livestock, and she almost wishes for the return of the heavy winter snows, if only to stop people from travelling so readily to the castle.

Some time after noon, Eunbi gestures to Yunho to allow no more petitioners into the throne room, and stands, stretching her legs gratefully. The day is grey outside, rain pattering lightly against the ground, but she is desperate to do anything but sit in her throne and listen to another complaint. As she slips through the door at the back of her dais, she gives Ser Chaeyeon a nod. The Queensguard falls into step behind her, a few paces away, and soon Eunbi has forgotten about his presence once again. Outside, the rain falls against the covered walkway that runs the perimeter of the courtyard, pattering down against the slate, but it isn’t enough to discourage Chaewon from training in the yard with Yujin.

Eunbi doesn’t hesitate before she steps out into the courtyard, despite her attendants running after her with offers of a cloak. Instead, she allows the rain to soak into her jerkin and into her braids, her boots squelching through the mud as she walks towards the behourd where Chaewon is striking Yujin again and again with her sword. She leans against the fencing to watch, her eyes following his movements, and though the young prince tries hard, he is no match for Chaewon’s strength and speed and soon slips over his own feet, landing in the mud with a thump.

“You’re getting better!” Chaewon calls over the rain, smiling despite her charge’s infuriated expression. She holds out a hand to help Yujin up. “Keep your feet steady.”

“And your eyes up!” Eunbi adds, loudly enough to draw their attention. She smiles her greeting, watching as Yujin pushes his soaked hair away from his eyes.

“I beat her earlier,” He insists, taking a long draw from the canteen a page boy offers to him, and Eunbi hums sceptically.

“You had better do it again before the night draws in, or I suspect you’ll both drown in this rain.”

“I can do it,” Yujin’s chin juts out stubbornly and he falls back into a defensive stance, his fingers tightening around his sword.

“You can try,” Chaewon is as relaxed and easy as Eunbi ever sees her, rain in her eyes.

“Send him to me when you’re done,” Eunbi instructs, and then adds, her eyes travelling over her brother’s mud soaked form, “Although perhaps after a bath.”

“Yes, your majesty.” Chaewon nods, and Eunbi turns away before the sound of clashing steel can draw her back in again.

Inside, she has her own bath drawn to soak away the rain and hours sat on the throne, which leaves her feeling stiff and uncomfortable. Her crown is put aside and her hair braided simply back, dripping water down her back. Her handmaidens help her dry off, and slide into comfortable hose and a soft woollen tunic, so that she can settle by the fire. As the sky darkens outside, they fetch her a rich bowl of stew and hunks of fresh bread, accompanied by weak, warmed wine which steams from the goblet and settles in her stomach. In the warmth and light of her room, she flicks through the letters left out for her.

One bears the gold triangles and hands of the Iron Bank of Bravos and Eunbi rolls her eyes at the sight of it. Reluctantly, she cracks the seal open and her eyes dart over the words written there. They say nothing more than she expected, and it takes all of her effort not to just throw the letter into the fire. Instead, she puts it aside and moves onto the next letter, her heart thumping when she sees the green rose sealing the parchment together. For a moment, her breath catches in and s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter