Book Three: Chapter 8

Crown of Thorns
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Book Three- Chapter 8

Early summer in Kings Landing truly is beautiful. Before the days become so hot and muggy that you are forced to rest when the sun is at its highest, the city is engulfed in long, warm, dry days that seem to last forever and ever. When she thinks of her childhood in Kings Landing this is what she remembers: periwinkle blue skies, filled with hazy clouds, the sweet smell of flowers and fruit in the air, and days that never ended. Today is one of those days, and as she walks through the gardens of the Red Keep in her airy, flowing gown, she can almost forget the small circlet upon her head. Beside her, Lord Marcus matches her gait easily, and at her back are Hyewon and Roan, their white Queensguard capes flowing. Despite the smiles and bows that people offer as she passes, she is not so naïve as to think that her fight for the throne is over.

“The nobles are beginning to wonder about Lord Pike’s whereabouts.” Lord Marcus’s voice is cast low to avoid them being overheard, and Sakura attempts to keep her expression as neutral as possible. “You will have to announce his arrest soon or appear a tyrant.”

“I will,” She pauses, smiles at a pair of passing nobles. “Everything is falling into place.”

“I don’t need to tell you that there will be outcry and opposition.”

“You don’t,” She agrees, calmly. “It is not those foolish enough to disagree with me publicly who I fear, it is those who whisper in private.” Her brows furrow and she sighs softly. “There will be many whispers and I must master them.”

“I will endeavour to find someone who can help with that.” Lord Marcus informs her, and when her eyes cut to him he offers a small smile and says. “That is what it means to be Hand of the Queen isn’t it?”

“Indeed it is,” She smiles at him and for a moment it is as if nothing has changed between them. “I am glad to have you, Lord Marcus.”

“I am glad to be of service, your majesty,” His eyes soften and he continues. “Your mother will be here soon.”

A sigh escapes her before she can help herself and she rolls her eyes when Marcus smiles. “I am aware.”

“She will be glad to see you,” Lord Marcus presses and she can only incline her head in agreement as they step into the dark rose tunnel, where the scent is so heady it makes her head swirl. She can’t help but think of her moments with Kimm here, where she saw more the boy he was than the weak king he became and her heart thuds with pain. In the darkness they are more hidden and Marcus feels able to say. “You should be kind to her.” 

“I know,” Sakura hesitates, brushing her fingers across the petal of a drooping rose, heavy under its own weight. “I just- it will be strange to see her.”

“She is still your mother.”

“I’m not the daughter she left behind,” Sakura protests, “She always wanted to protect me and in the end… that isn’t what I needed.”

“You may think you are more your father than your mother, but I see much of her in you too.” Marcus gives her a slight smile and he seems suddenly older than he has before.

“Sometimes I forget that you knew her long before even my father.” Sakura considers him, “When she was just a girl.”

Marcus arches an eyebrow in her direction. “Your mother was never ‘just a girl’, she was utterly wild in her youth. I fear I was never able to keep pace with her games as she would have liked.”

 “I- I never knew that,” She admits. “It always seemed that she wanted me to be the perfect lady.”

“By forcing you to learn your histories and healing?” Marcus shakes his head, “She was preparing you, even if you didn’t know it. When she met your father she changed, he brought something out in her that I’m sure not even she knew existed. She was so very in love with him.” When his eyes flicker to her they are filled with pain and sympathy and she feels her heart ache. “His death almost shattered her.”

She considers his words in silence, letting the heady scent of the roses surround her. It reminds her of home, of Highgarden, and watching her parents smile at one another over their meals, as if they had a secret they wouldn’t tell.

“I wanted her here,” She murmurs, at last, unable to meet Marcus’s eyes. “I needed her.”

 Marcus nods slowly, and his voice is filled with understanding when he answers. “One of the sad facts of becoming older is realising that the people we thought invincible are just as human as we are.” He places a hand on her shoulder, something she is sure he would not dare to do unless they were alone. “Forgive her, if you can.”

When they step out into the gardens again, Sakura tells herself that it is the sunlight making her blink away tears, rather than Lord Arryn’s words.

They round a corner and Sakura feels her lips twitching into a smile at the sight of an ever familiar figure approaching. Eunbi is flanked by Chaewon and Chaeyeon, Faith and Honour at her sides, and her usual dark jerkin is replaced today by a light linen shirt and waistcoat in the brightness of the day. Princess Arianna is walking alongside her, speaking fervently about something, but the moment their eyes catch Eunbi cannot seem to tear herself away. Arianna cuts herself off when she sees that she doesn’t have the queen’s full attention, and follows her gaze with a slight smirk.

“Your majesty,” Sakura greets her when they meet on their path.

“Your majesty,” Eunbi returns, and there is a softness to her gaze that bellies her polite tone. “Lord Arryn,” She adds, and Sakura flushes a little, her eyes darting to Princess Arianna.

“Princess.”

 “Your majesty,” The princess’s eyes are filled with mirth and Sakura hurries to speak before she can say anything too obvious.

 “Are you enjoying the gardens?”

“They’re lovely,” Eunbi answers her, almost too quickly.

“Have you seen the reflecting pool?” Sakura’s eyes can’t seem to leave her face, watching the play of sunlight across her smile. “It’s quite wonderful on a warm day.”

“We haven’t,” Eunbi’s smile only grows when Sakura says. 

“I would be happy to show you.” 

“Unfortunately I have seen the reflecting pool many times,” Princess Arianna puts in, her lips twitching, “I should find my sisters, your majesties.”

“I will accompany you,” Lord Marcus bows his head to them both, and Sakura watches as the pair fall into step together and walk away.

When she meets Eunbi’s gaze, the woman gives her a rueful smile and says, “We were only recently with her sisters.”

Sakura’s brows twitch and she bites back a grin as they begin to walk together down the sloping path towards the reflecting gardens. “The Princess has always known more than she ought.”

“It makes her a useful ally,” Eunbi adds, and Sakura nods her agreement. “How are you finding your hand of the queen?” 

“Lord Marcus is a good man, sensible. He advises that I have Pike’s trial soon.”  Eunbi hums her agreement as they make their way through the orange groves.

“It’s only a matter of time before people find out, better that they hear it from you first.”

 “You’re right,” Her fingers slip up to touch at the chain around her neck, where the key to Pike’s cell is settled in her bosom. “I just don’t want to leave anything to chance, he has to die for all that he’s done.”

“The Gods are just, Sakura,” There is something so certain to her words that Sakura’s eyes flicker over to her again. “He will pay for his crimes.” There is not a flicker of insincerity to her, and Sakura shakes her head, a little awed.

“I wish that I could still trust in the judgement of the gods,” She says, wearily, as they step through an old archway and into the deserted courtyard that holds the reflecting pool. “They do not seem just or good to me anymore.”

“I know that they are,” Eunbi counters, very quietly and reaches out to brush a touch over Sakura’s elbow, drawing their eyes back together. “They brought us back together when all seemed lost.”

 Her breath catches in and she can’t help but think that here, in this small, sunlit grove, Eunbi looks more beautiful than any woman ever has before. Eunbi’s cheeks are flushed with her words, but she doesn’t avert her gaze, and eventually it is Sakura that has to pull her eyes away, because she knows that if she doesn’t their lips will meet again. They fall into step together, the guards stationing themselves by the archway, and Sakura leads Eunbi towards the shallow pool at the centre of the courtyard, lined with low brick and filled with water so clear that when Sakura leans over it she can see her reflection between the still lily pads. 

“It’s lovely here,” Eunbi breaks the silence, her eyes wandering across the courtyard to take in the oak trees with branches that spread wide and leave a dappling of sunlight on the sandy cobblestone floor below their feet. “Very peaceful.”

“Not many people come here,” Sakura admits, walking slowly around the edge of the pool. “Wells and I came a lot when I was a girl, it was a good place to find some peace.”

“I can imagine,” Eunbi’s smile is soft and fond, “You spent a lot of time in the capital growing up?”

Sakura nods, reaching down to touch at a lily pad and bump it gently into its counterparts, watching as the motion sends a shiver through the still pond. “My father was here often and he brought me with him. I spent a lot of time with Wells.”

“You must be glad to have him back,” Eunbi’s eyes do not leave hers, even as she perches on the small wall beside the pool, watching from across it as Sakura nods, her breath catching in . 

“I am,” She cannot bear to keep their eyes together as they speak. “I- It is a little strange, after everything that has happened.”

“I can imagine so,” When she chances a glance at her, Sakura finds Eunbi’s expression softly sympathetic. 

“He was my best friend,” With a soft sigh, Sakura rounds the other side of the pond and takes a seat at Eunbi’s side. Above them jasmine grows around the trunk

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter