Book Three: Chapter 7

Crown of Thorns
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Book Three: Chapter 7

Lord Pike luxuriates in his captivity. In the black cells far below the Red Keep, Lord Pike sits back against the damp, dirty wall to which he is chained, his legs outstretched, and looks up through the darkness at Eunbi with cold, calculated derision in the singular light of her torch. He had put up little fight after his guards had been carefully slaughtered or paid off, and she and Chaewon had whisked him away to the black cells. His smug expression had not faltered and he had not spoken a word since being chained by his wrists in the dark, small cell. Despite the heat of summer which is slowly creeping upon the city, the cells this far below the earth are bitterly cold, and Eunbi knows that the lord must be fighting to hold back his shivers, dressed as he is in only his night shirt. The stench of faeces and piss are strong from the straw that covers the floor, and it had taken Eunbi some time before she had become used to the smell. Lord Pike catches her eye, and when his smile only widens, his eyes glinting, she turns her back on him and pulls the wooden door to the cell shut, leaving him in utter darkness.

Further down the corridor Chaewon waits, her hand resting upon the hilt of her sword. From the darkness, Honour, Patience and Valour appear to walk closely by her legs, their teeth bared and their fur bristling.

“This place stinks of death.” Chaewon informs her, voice low, and Eunbi has to agree. The smell lingers in the stale air, on the damp walls and in the cracks in the stone. The one flickering torch sends strange shadows leering through the darkness. “I wish you would let me kill him.” Chaewon’s hands twitch over her sword. “We could make it seem like an accident.”

Eunbi offers her a dry smile, but shakes her head. “Sakura needs him alive for now.”

Chaewon grimaces, but nods. “A shame,” Is all she says.

As if summoned, footsteps come from down the corridor, along with the pinprick of light of a torch, and as they come closer, Eunbi sees Sakura’s light hair and Hyewon’s familiar face at her side. She is less surprised than she should be to see Faith’s stark white figure pacing beside her, a ghoul in the darkness. The sight of Sakura causes her breath to catch in and she hopes that Chaewon can’t tell. She is still wearing the dress that she was crowned in, black silk and gold embroidery, and her crown still sits upon her head, golden and sparkling. Eunbi knows it must be giving her a headache by now, but Sakura does not flinch. Watching the Septon place the crown upon her head earlier that day had sent a thrill down Eunbi’s spine that she cannot seem to forget.

“Eunbi,” She says, as she approaches, and there is a note of something deep and severe to her voice, something that was not there the day before. Still, she is painfully sincere when she says. “Thank you, both of you.”

“Of course,” Eunbi casts her eyes upwards, “Are the celebrations over?”

“I fear they will not be over until sun rise,” Sakura gives a small smile, “But I will no longer be missed.” Her gaze flickers down the corridor. “Has he spoken?”

Eunbi’s lips turn down with displeasure. “Not yet.”

“Hm,” Sakura runs a hand down the skirt of her gown, “Perhaps I can change that.” She holds out her hand and Eunbi easily gives over the key to the cell. Her delicate fingers look strange curling around the dirty metal, but Eunbi has long since learnt that Sakura is more than she appears. Sakura approaches the door and swings it open to gaze down at the small man chained to the wall.

Pike’s smile only widens at the sight of her, arching an interested eyebrow.

“Lady Sakura, the woman who would not die.” They are the first words he has spoken since Eunbi and Chaewon dragged him away in the dark of the previous night, and his voice scratches. “And wearing a phony crown. What a sight to behold.”

“Lord Pike,” She looks down at him, distaste in her features, but her voice is cold and hard, no hint of emotion in it. “You are charged with the murder of Lord Yul of House Tyrell. You are charged with high treason by murder of your king Thelonious Baratheon. You are charged with high treason by murder of your king Kimm Swann. How do you plead?”

Pike grins up at her and shakes his head. “There is no blood on my hands,” He promises, darkly, and Sakura nods, as if this was what she expected.

“Then here you shall stay.”

Pike laughs at that, the noise strange and disconcerting in the dark cell. “Here I shall stay? Oh little girl, you have no idea the game you are playing, the people who will want your head now.”

“Until we meet again, Lord Pike.” Is all Sakura says, and steps away, pulling the door shut and leaving him in darkness once again. She takes the key and locks the door with a resounding clunk of heavy metal falling into place, then slides the key on a long, thin chain and fastens it around her neck, so that it nestles in the curve of her s, hidden beneath her dress.

---

Jisung fiddles nervously with the fraying sleeve of his jacket, playing with the poorly dyed cloth as he shifts from foot to foot in front of the tall doors to the council chambers. He has never been in a castle before, much less at the specific request of a queen, and he would turn and run if not for the strong, reassuring presence at his side. Captain Wooseok catches his gaze and offers him a small, certain smile, reaching out to touch gently at his anxiously picking fingers. He looks as handsome as always, smart and strong in his golden uniform.

“It’ll be alright,” He urges, quietly, and Jisung obediently pulls his fingers away, balling them into tight fists as he nods.

It is still utterly bizarre to him that the strange girl who had asked so much of them is now their queen. In retrospect though, he thinks bitterly, he should have known she was nobility. The price of their protection never was cheap, or so he had learnt. The doors swing open and a kindly looking lord steps out to usher them inside.

“The queen will see you now.”

Captain Wooseok nods and falls into step with the ease of a soldier used to following orders, and Jisung follows stiffly behind, hurrying to keep pace. They are led into a room which Jisung considers large, but he is sure is not in a castle of this size. At its centre sits a long wooden table at which lords and ladies are sat, watching them. At its head, Queen Sakura Tyrell bestows them with a smile that seems to come from far away. The lord leads them to the table, and Jisung stops abruptly, almost running into Captain Wooseok. The lord circles the table and takes up a seat immediately at the queen’s right hand. There is a gleaming pin in his surcoat, a hand holding a dagger.

“Welcome.” Queen Sakura says, and Jisung hurries to follow Captain Wooseok’s lead when he bows lowly. The queen seems taller than she has before, perhaps because of the crown sitting atop her head, or the way her shoulders push back and hold her high and stately.

“May I introduce my new small council,” Queen Sakura says when they rise, “Lord Marcus Arryn, my hand of the queen; Lady Arianna Martell, my master of ships; Lord Sunny Tyrell, my master of coin, and Lord Robert Mertyn, my master of laws.” The lords and lady around the table nod in greeting and when Sakura gestures behind her Jisung startles at the sight of Hyewon in fine, gleaming armour and a long white cloak. “Of course you know Hyewon Snow, the Commander of my Queensguard.”

Hyewon offers him a small smile, and some of the knot in Jisung’s chest loosens. It is good to see another commoner around this table.

“I have called you here to thank you,” Sakura informs them succinctly. “For the role you have played in my reign so far. I have asked much of you, I know, more than I should have done perhaps, and you have shown exceptional loyalty.” It takes Jisung a moment to realise that Sakura is talking to him, her eyes are fixed to him and not Captain Wooseok, and he stares, his mouth agape. “And now you have brought Captain Wooseok to me, for which I must thank you.”

Her attention shifts, and Wooseok stands straighter, his hands going behind his back. “Captain Wooseok, I have been informed that you are one of the few refuges of true loyalty and honour in the City Watch, is that true?” Queen Sakura asks, succinctly, and Jisung watches Wooseok’s throat bob as he swallows, but when he responds it is without a shake in his voice.

“I would hope so, your majesty.”

“Jisung informs me that you are to be trusted, and I trust his judgement.” Sakura tells him, firmly. “So I would like to offer you something Captain Wooseok. Tell me all that you know of the corruption in our City Watch, help me weed it out and find good, loyal men to replace them, and in return I will make you Commander of the City Watch.”

Captain Wooseok stares at her, his eyes wide with surprise, and only just manages to keep his composure enough to answer. “Of course, your majesty, it would be my honour.”

“One more thing,” Sakura is watching him with tight, calculating eyes. “I will need you to give evidence of the corruption at a trial for me. Make sure you know all of the devious, despicable tricks that Lord Pike of House Lannister used to turn so many men in his favour.”

Captain Wooseok gasps, softly, and he gathers his courage to answer. “Your majesty, I cannot say for sure that Lord Pike-”

“You can,” Sakura interrupts him, abruptly. “And you will, Captain Wooseok. Do we have an understanding?”

Captain Wooseok stares at her for a moment, and Jisung watches with baited breath, until the Captain nods sharply. “Yes, your majesty.”

“Thank you,” Sakura smiles again and it is almost eerie how much her face changes. Her attention shifts back to Jisung. “I would like to reward your loyalty too, Jisung. You have an uncanny ability to be places you should not, and listen without people knowing you are there. You would make an excellent Master of Whispers. You would have a lordship and all the money you desire.”

Jisung’s eyes widen at her words, his head spinning. He can barely imagine himself at this table, reporting people’s secrets to the Rose Queen, as she is already being dubbed, and he finds himself shaking his head before he realises what he is doing.

“I’m sorry,” He rushes to say, “I don’t… I wouldn’t feel comfortable telling people’s secrets your majesty, even for the good of the realm.”

For a moment, he fears that Sakura will be angry, but the queen only smiles a little sadly. “That is what would make you excellent for this role, Jisung, but I accept your refusal. I would still like to reward your loyalty, though,” She spreads her hands out wide, “Ask for anything you wish, and I shall do my best to provide it.”

Despite himself, Jisung’s gaze flickers up to Captain Wooseok, and from the corner of his eye he sees Sakura’s gaze soften with pity and sympathy.

Her voice drops, becoming a little quieter after a moment of silence. “I fear I cannot give you what you most desire. I will see that you are comfortable, Jisung, and please know that you have a welcome place here if ever you should choose.”

“Thank you, your majesty,” Jisung manages to give her a slight smile.

---

“You suit these rooms.” Sakura looks up from where she is sat at the table, dipping a quill in her pot of ink, to see Eunbi smiling down at her from her place beside the wide, open windows. The sun is high in the sky, which is a lovely, periwinkle blue, and from her place at the windows Sakura knows Eunbi can see the red tiled roofs of Kings Landing stretching away on one side, and the Blackwater bay reaching out on the other. On a warm day like this, Sakura could almost forget the histories that the royal suites hold. A glance behind her at the curtains separating the bed chamber from the solar, however, are all that she needs to remember.

A shiver runs through her and she lists her shoulders in a half shrug. “I do not like them.”

“They are your rooms now,” Eunbi reminds her, gently. “You may change them however you wish.”

Sakura nods, setting the quill down as she thinks. “I struggle to sleep,” She admits, as Eunbi crosses the room to come closer to her. “I even had the bed replaced with my old one, but it didn’t help. I can still smell the blood.”

Eunbi settles into the chair at her side and places a hand tenderly over hers, eyes flickering up to check her face for any sign of discomfort. Sakura only smiles. They are still getting used to these casual, easy intimacies. “I wish there was something I could do.”

Sakura turns her hand beneath Eunbi’s and intertwines their fingers. “Being here with me is more than enough.”

A slight blush dusts over Eunbi’s cheeks, something Sakura still delights in seeing, and her smile widens when Eunbi squeezes their fingers together and releases her grip. “We should write this letter.”

“All business,” Sakura teases, ever so lightly, but picks her quill back up again, running a finger over the feathered end ever so lightly as she considers what to write. “They must think that it comes in friendship, it is only be catching them unawares that we will be able to make ourselves heard.”

“Suggest that the castle coppers are running dry,” Eunbi suggests, looking down at the parchment and in her distraction, Sakura is able to admire the smooth cut of her jaw and the delicate touch of dark, long eyelashes against her cheek. She is caught staring when Eunbi looks up again, but does not drop her gaze, and Eunbi’s cheeks heat a little again, a small, private smile caught at the corners of her lips. “The Iron Bank have always been eager to find new business.”

“I met one of their representatives once, he was a rather charming man.” Sakura admits, reluctantly. “But sharp and intelligent, and always gave the impression that he knew more than he ought.”

“They have their ways.” Eunbi takes a slow, considering sip of her wine, her eyes creased with thought. “It would be best to speak as closely to the truth as you are able,” She decides, “A deceit is less noticeable if it treads the line of honesty.”

Something flickers in Sakura’s stomach, and she diverts her haze down to the parchment, wondering whether Eunbi too is thinking of her deceit. “I will ask them to come to renegotiate the terms of the crown’s debts.” Her quill scratches against the parchment as she writes, her writing slanted and curling, and once she has finished Eunbi is on hand with the blue candle that has been burning beside them for some time, dripping it onto the folded parchment to seal it. She stamps it with her rose sigil ring and then places it to one side.

“The pieces are falling into place,” Eunbi observes, after Sakura has called for a runner to take her message and asked for a light lunch to be brought to her chambers.

“Everything still feels as if it’s made of moving parts,” She confesses, sighing softly. She stands and walks to the window where Eunbi had earlier stood sentinel, leaning against the ledge and cradling her goblet of cold, watered down wine between her hands. “And I cannot keep track of where they are.”

“You are doing well,” Eunbi insists, joining her. “Do not doubt yourself now Sakura.”

“Before I was married,” Sakura begins, looking out across the sprawling city which she now calls her own. “I looked out over this city and I thought that I hated it.” Eunbi’s brows raise, surprised, and Sakura continues, her voice shaking just slightly. “Truly, I did. The thought of being trapped here forever as somebody’s wife made me feel as if the very walls had grown feet and were marching towards me.” She runs her fingers over the warm stone. “If it weren’t for Highgarden and my family I think I would have run right then.”

“You would not have.” Eunbi answers her softly, and at Sakura’s curious look she embellishes. “You are not someone to run away, Sakura. Your sense of duty, your honour, it’s one of the things that makes me feel as if-” She hesitates, stutters over her words and Sakura can’t help but lay a gentle hand on her arm, drawing Eunbi’s eyes to hers.

“Go on.”

“It is as if you truly see me,” Eunbi murmurs, her green eyes swimming like pools in a summer glen. “In a way that no one else has. We understand each other, I think.”

“Do you mean,” Sakura’s voice hitches, “Do you forgive me… could you ever forgi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter