punishment (pretty little fears)

two weeks

Sitting on the blue stands of the Haneulae Training Centre's rink, Minjoo observed the details of her hockey stick’s shaft resting on her knees, letting her unlaced sneakers hit the back of the seat in front of her. Jimin’s tango was blasting through the tall structure, with the sounds of her skates hitting the ice and her coach's comments making it hard to hear anything beyond the bass of the song she was listening to.

Her practice had been harder than ever, or maybe it was due to her recent lower body physical strength training after days of resting her knee. She was starting to feel their next game approaching. The delay between the semi-final and the finale was a great opportunity to prepare well, but it was also wasting so much time and letting the pressure settle. Every day, at every training, Coach Oh would repeat the same words over and over, reminding them that Annyang Team was this and that and they would keep on doing the same drills, waiting for the game to finally arrive. At this point, two weeks left felt like too much. Minjoo just wanted to play and win the Cup.

Glancing to her side, Minijoo lazily took her hand out from under her Golden Knights lacer hoodie, seizing Chaewon’s wrist to stop her from tapping higher on her stick’s blade. A smile escaped her lips when the girl lifted an eyebrow, and she explained, "don’t go all the way up to the heal. Here’s fine."

"Why?" The figure skater asked, reaching over to the scissors. "Is this to shoot better?"

Minjoo nodded, smiling a little wider at her girlfriend being so careful with the tape around her blade,  "I like to have no grip here because yeah, the puck slides better."

"Okay, top scorer." It was Chaewon’s initiative, by the way. They had been sitting there for half an hour already, and when Minjoo pulled out her new white tape to finally change the one on her stick, Chaewon insisted on doing it instead. Maybe that was her way to show she was actually supportive and interested in her passion. Either way, Minjoo liked the attention. It warmed her heart even more when the girl immediately flipped the stick, starting to take off the old grip to replace it as well. "Now what do I do?"

"Just tape around two or three times and let the tape dangle," Minjoo instructed, pointing at the knob. "I have a little trick."

"A little trick ," the figure skater repeated in a higher voice. "Stop looking, I can handle that."

Minjoo scoffed, turning her gaze away from her to see Jimin effortlessly landing a triple loop. It was absolutely impressive, yes, but less impressive than Chaewon simply existing by her side. Anyway, she put her hands back under her lacer hoodie, keeping them warm despite not having pockets—it was particularly cold inside the rink to make up for the cool temperature outside. The song from their shared playlist ended, and a new title made her bounce her head to the rhythm. That was one of those songs Chaewon added, and she liked it. Her eyes wandered around, one ear attentive to her girlfriend lightly humming the lyrics, thinking this was one of her happy moments she would forever remember.

"Okay, it dangles, now what?" Chaewon asked after a while.

Minjoo took some time to tear her eyes away from her phone, making the other girl sigh—Minjoo did too, exaggeratedly, and Chaewon hit her shoulder. Accustomed to taping her stick alone, she didn’t quite know how to explain the twisting and spiralling technique that would make a nice, strong grip without being too tight and…she just got up, taking the stick in hand, "I'll do it, don’t worry."

"I said I can do it," Chaewon was stubborn, and she insisted, getting up as well and taking the stick that was only a little shorter than her—when it reached Minjoo’s nose with her skates on. "Just tell me how."

And so, Minjoo took her time to explain it—Chaewon complained about how tape around a stick didn’t need to be this serious and complicated, but she did it carefully and slowly nonetheless. Frowning and making sure the tape was perfectly applied, she immediately sat back down once it was finished. Minjoo barely got hit twice in the process, but the CCM stick was finally back on her knees, newly taped and ready. Until the figure skater took out a pen and started writing something on the grip. 

Then, she proudly showed it off, smiling. 

Minjoo’s gaze immediately fell on the red KCW<3 that adorned her stick’s grip, making her roll her eyes, "seriously…"

"You don’t like it?" Chaewon took offence, losing her beam. 

Minjoo loved this smile so much she didn’t have any choice but to act twice more excited, not thinking about her teammates possibly cornering her into telling them if the KCW<3 on her stick had any hazardous connection with THE national figure skater from their school that also happened to be at their game. Because, yes , it didn’t go unnoticed at all. Questions flooded in the groupchat, and she had just lied about their parents knowing each other and quickly changed the subject back to the Detroit Red Wings losing to Montreal—only telling one of the guys to shut up when he mentioned how hot the figure skater was. 

So she grabbed her stick, and after looking around, making sure no one was particularly looking at them, she drew Chaewon closer by throwing her forearm around her neck. Pulling her into a tight hug, she shook both their bodies, "is this a way to let people know what’s yours?"

The figure skater pushed her away with a short laugh, "just bringing you down to Earth, that is to show you support only."

"Need to bring me down to earth because every moment with you feels like heaven?" Minjoo chuckled, playfully shoving Chaewon back. The figure skater audibly sighed, looking away—to avoid betraying how this made her smile. And so, the hockey player nudged her cheek with her fist, then her fingers to force their eyes to meet, loving how the girl was easily flustered by her pick-up lines. Anyway, her heart warmed at the words that meant a lot to her, especially after all the little arguments they had about this disagreement. Chaewon was simply trying to prove things her way, and Minjoo smiled gently, "I appreciate it."

Chaewon's eyes softened, though her voice remained calm, almost cold—it meant she was about to open up a little about her feelings, and so, Minjoo listened carefully, resisting the urge to touch her, "I know I’m not always… I mean, I know that I could show it to you more, but I really… like the fact that you… love playing hockey and I’m your biggest fan. You know that, right? I’m on your stick, so I'm with you every time you play and all…"

Surely, it hadn’t been so long since they started dating. They struggled at first, with Minjoo learning how to communicate, Chaewon learning how to compromise and open up, to allow a deeper connection. However, they didn’t change. Perhaps they were starting to grow up together, but Minjoo was still that careless girl who wouldn’t take things too seriously. She also appreciated that Chaewon made an effort to somehow apologise and make-up, but her serious look was too funny for Minjoo to resist grabbing both her cheeks and laughing. Without bothering to look around—Jimin’s coaches were too busy criticising her jumps—she brought her closer for a quick kiss. Smiling cheekily, she held the skater’s face, keeping her from backing away or nervously glancing down the rink, saying, "don’t tell me this been bothering you all week?"

Chaewon gently pushed her hand away, sitting back down. "No but… I really felt bad because I know how much you support me and I feel, well, I know, I’m not doing enough–"

 "–thank you, but you’re doing enough," Minjoo reassured, sitting as well. Hearing this made her realise she really needed to think twice before speaking sometimes, and even stop making up her own conclusions. They were different in their way of demonstrating things. She loved going to her practices—she literally practised with her, hearing about figure skating news and being genuinely interested, while Chaewon supported her in little ways. It was the necklace, the cheerleading video, the texts before and after every game... Actually, she was doing more than enough.  "Please don’t feel bad. I guess we’re also tired from practising and all."

Chaewon's shoulders relaxed, and she let Minjoo rest her head on her shoulder after sighing. 

After a short silence, the hockey player let out a laugh, bombing her chest, "we’re so mature."

"Yeah," the figure skater chuckled. Sure, their first arguments had been a little wild, Chaewon raising her voice to Minjoo who didn’t know how to properly voice her thoughts, but they learned, together. Arguments happened, but they settled just as fast, both of them making the effort.

-

Minjoo puffed her cheeks, flipping the white skate over her legs. The mint-coloured guards covering the blade gripped onto her sweatpants, and she clicked her tongue, securing the skate in the middle. She had made fun of Chaewon’s terrible way of handling her stick when, clearly, she couldn’t do better now. To be honest, she didn’t even know figure skates required some tapping too, but apparently it was mainly to make them look whiter and cleaner during performances.

"So," Chaewon, demonstrating all her maturity, trailed out, watching her struggle without batting an eye. "Imagine Bae Sumin likes you back, would you still say yes to helping me practise?" And would you have a crush on me?"

"Oh, that's a question," already struggling with tapping skates, Minjoo used her girlfriend's comeback of the week to get back at her—and gain a few extra seconds to think of the perfect answer. She knew it was a trap either way, and she needed to outsmart the girl sitting next to her. "Are you hungry?"

"You know me well," the figure skater chuckled, trying to catch her gaze, in vain. Minjoo was too focused on her task; a glimpse of sharing everything with your partner, she guessed, watching all this tape going on her girlfriend’s expensive skates. "I’m fine."

"Then I’d say yes to help you and probably have a little thing for you but I won’t act on it," she said, cutting the extra length and grabbing another smaller tape, covering the booth just like Chaewon did on the other one. "Learned my lesson."

"Thank you, pretty," the figure skater bumped their shoulders, then a second time harder. "She looks nothing like me, though, so what… what do you like the most about me? Physically?"

Minjoo thought for a second—not because it was hard to find, but because it was hard to pick just one thing. The more time they spent together, the more Minjoo noticed little things about Chaewon she fell in love with. She loved her eyes and how sweetly enchanting her gaze was, and her nose, her moles, her hair, her bangs, and her body, and her hands, and chickenpox’s scar, and too many other things. "Your smile."

"You can be honest," Chaewon laughed, and Minjoo looked at her, forgetting the skates for a moment, blinded by her beauty.

She loved the way Chaewon wasn’t easily smiling brightly, concealing her emotions behind a facade that would only fall down when she was comfortable. A smile Minjoo discovered on the ice before practices when they were simply skating, making fun of each other with the cold wind hitting their faces, pushing away any shyness and reserve. It was sweet and hesitant, yet it carried genuine carelessness when she would let it go, not bothering to hide it, accepting to let something other than control slip on her face. 

"And your moles," she finally added, coming back to earth after the other lifted a brow, cheeks a little redder from the compliment. Romanticism aside, the hockey player loved spotting moles on the figure skater’s body—the stomach, forehead, knee and lower back ones being her favourites. "How about you?"

"Everything. But…" the figure skater replied as if she was about to say it even if the girl didn’t ask, quickly poking Minjoo’s dimple, " this holds a special place in my heart. And your eyes, they’re expressive."

"Thank you," Minjoo smiled, feeling Chaewon’s fingertip in the little hole over her cheekbones. "I was born with them. And now I can’t see myself without them."

"Okay, now let’s say Hyunjin broke his knee and we had to cut his leg off. That means he wouldn’t be able to skate with me ever again, of course," Chaewon glanced at the ice, talking slowly, ignoring the hockey player’s last comment that was, in the latter’s opinion, worth a burst of laughter. Minjoo smiled for herself, placing the tape on a side of the skate before applying it carefully, avoiding any folds, still listening in case there was another trap in the question—Chaewon was creative sometimes with her hypothetical questions. "And Eunbi asked you to practise with me for… you don’t know how long until we find a new partner. And I’m picky."

Cutting off the remaining length of white tape, Minjoo responded quite frankly, "I would’ve actively helped you find a new partner."

"You wouldn’t want it to be you?" Chaewon grabbed her skate and inspected it thoroughly, pressing down some dumps, slowly nodding her head in satisfaction. 

"Honestly…" Minjoo sighed, extending her legs over the seats in front of them, her hands back under her lacer hoodie. Eyes on Jimin who was repeating her program, she bit back a smile, not turning to the girl sitting beside her. "I would love to be a figure skater without the figure skating part. Actually, I just want the white fleece."

"That makes so much sense, Min," the figure skater mocked. With her hand on the hockey player's thigh, playing with the strings of her sweatpants, she added, "have you ever heard of stores?"

"Of what?" She smiled and clutched Chaewon’s hand before she could move to another seat—she didn't find it funny, intertwining their fingers under her lacer hoodie, placing her head back on the skater’s shoulder.

Eyes on Jimin and her coach, Minjoo let her mind be at ease. Chaewon was humming to the song they were listening to, mingling with the loud Tango, her free hand cupping the hockey player’s jaw, her fingers caressing her cold skin. Her last practice before the Championships was approaching, but she seemed at ease too. 

-

As soon as Jimin and her coaches disappeared from the ice and Teddy was done refreshing the ice with the Zamboni, the two ice prodigies took possession of the rink, as they were used to. In a way, it felt like it belonged to them, to their story. This spotlight here, the door where Minjoo entered the ice the first time, only looking at those white skates to avoid tripping and making the worst impression, this spot where they stood many times to start the program, this side where they shared their first kisses. It was a place of emotions, adrenaline, challenge, and they managed to make it their own, charging it with feelings kept secret between the ice they loved and them. Truly, it was just another reason to love their passion.

Chaewon grabbed the stick, and Minjoo glided on one foot to the red markings where the goal would be if the rink didn’t belong to figure skaters later in the evening. Doing a little trick her world junior champion taught her—a twizzle, if she remembered correctly, Minjoo reached the place, getting applauded for her execution. Funny how she actually gained some balance over months of little practices here and there. She was still terrible at jumps and everything that required more than just a quick turn, but she loved pulling off some moves mid-practices. 

"What if I’m just too good and shoot the puck at your face?" Chaewon asked loud enough to be heard, flipping the black biscuit in her hand and barely catching it, making Minjoo scoff.

"This won’t happen," the girl assured, only wearing a hockey glove to avoid losing a finger if ever Chaewon managed to actually slapshot hard enough in the right direction. "With all my love and respect."

She smiled a little, watching her girlfriend carefully place the puck down and adjust her hold on the stick, challenging her. There was no goal, but the point was only for Chaewon to finally get the subtle difference between all types of shots—Minjoo got tired of explaining only to hear ‘so if I just hit the puck, what is it called?’. Getting down, she lifted a thumb in the air and Chaewon took a deep breath, hitting the puck with blind precision. The biscuit eventually got to Minjoo, after a good five seconds of sliding on the ice, and the hockey player even took her time to crouch down and delicately grab it.

Chaewon smiled innocently, "I was warming up, tasting the water."

"Remember to create momentum, you know, just like before a jump," the expert corrected, before throwing the puck back at her. "Put your body weight on the stick and the harder you hit the ice, the stronger the shot will be."

The figure skater muttered something, skating to the puck, which she directed back to the middle, getting better at handling it—of course, Minjoo spent long minutes teaching her that. She lifted a brow and shot again. It was better, however, Minjoo’s mother would probably do better if she tried, and that is to say. The thought amused the girl. Her mother and Chaewon in a face off, both stubborn and perfectionists, would result in an interesting game. 

"It’s confusing," Chaewon sulked, repeating the movement of hitting the ice before shooting the puck. "I’m a kinesthetic learner. 

"Whatever that means, just slap and shoot," Minjoo encouraged. She was kind of a professional at this shot. Even though her mass wasn’t equivalent to that of a broad male hockey player, her reactivity made it easy to shift and execute this powerful move, and teaching it to her delicate figure skater girlfriend was a challenge. Maybe not as big as doing a throw axel and lifts, but still. 

"That means I learn by moving, touching…" The skater spun on herself once before throwing a glance at her. "I want your body weight." 

Minjoo sighed, skating towards her without thinking twice nonetheless. Chaewon smugly smiled, knowing things were once again going her way as the hockey player pressed against her back, arms grabbing the stick Chaewon was holding. A few months ago, Minjoo would’ve gone totally crazy, her heart probably beating so fast she would’ve backed away before Chaewon could feel it, but they grew closer and comfortable. Her heart was still beating fast anytime the skater was around, though. She still couldn’t stop smiling, her chin resting on her girlfriend’s shoulder, their fingers intertwining around the grip, her warmth spreading all over her body as if they weren’t standing on ice. 

"See? Can you feel the force in the stick?" Minjoo asked after they executed the movement, feeling the force as they slapped the ice before swinging the stick.

"It’s you I wanna feel. Come closer," the figure skater smiled, and it only grew wider when the hockey player rolled her eyes. She was worse than an eighteen year old hockey guy sometimes, and Minjoo hated the fact that she would always be the one to have red ears and little trouble regaining her focus.  

Without an answer, they just shifted towards the puck, and Minjoo released her grip on the stick, her hands going around her waist instead. Chaewon took a deep breath, her shoulders heavy, and the hockey player laughed because slap shots were tricky but never worth doing all that. 

One thing about Chaewon; she was a fast learner. In a way, it was part of her discipline to thoroughly memorise programs and sequences, but she was also very smart. It showed in the way she had excellent grades despite the ridiculous amount of practices a day, putting care into meeting expectations. And so, Chaewon slapped the ice before hitting the puck and it went straight to the other side of the rink. Definitely not towards the goal, but fast and powerful enough to be called a slapshot. She turned around, blowing on her nails—with gloves on, proudly wiggling her eyebrows.

It was already night when they left the arena wearing heavy bags. Chaewon had her wet hair loose, falling on her back, wearing some sweatpants and a shirt that definitely belonged to Minsung—Minjoo was shameless. The hockey player was enveloped in the skater's scent, feeling like she was surrounded by a cloud of moisturising oils when Chaewon wrapped an arm around her shoulders, bringing her closer with a small laugh, "hey, it’s okay. You’ve seen everything already."

"But it’s not the same," Minjoo mumbled, looking down, holding her heavy hockey bag.

"Yes it is," Nam Hyunjin chimed in, running a hand through his wet hair, walking with them towards the dorms. "We won’t magically add anything for next week."

Minjoo simply shrugged, her shoulders heavy not only because of the weight of Chaewon's arm but also the weight of disappointment, and she received a kiss on the cheek for that. Once again, the figure skater was better at repressing her emotions, and she changed the topic to talk about the weather instead. Yet, Minjoo couldn’t bring herself to laugh along with them—Hyunjin just told his partner they didn’t give a damn about the temperature. She’d planned on going to see the skaters perform ever since, and the plan changed a week prior, once again. Minjoo would’ve managed to see Chaewon’s free skate and go back to HTC on time for the pre-game shoots, but now, with a two-hour delay, she wouldn’t be able to attend the Ice Skating Cup like she wanted to. Her heart was heavy with deception, but surely less than Chaewon’s.

She glanced at her, observing how she adorned that smile that lacked any genuine meaning behind it—the one she had when she couldn’t simply betray how she felt inside. And yet, Chaewon held her closer, assuring her it was okay in a faint tone, looking down just as much. They were there for each other anyway, even if, for both of their finales, they would be in opposite arenas.

Later in the night, she received one last text, and it warmed her heart as much as she felt even more disappointed.

chaenara⛸️💖

don’t feel bad, it’s okay

i’ll do even better if i know you’re playing so that if you win, i’m winning too

good night my top scorer

i’m sorry it’s too short on time..😣 but i’ll think so much about you it will feel like i’m here!!!^^

good night ily😚💖

lyt<3

 

-

The weather was particularly confusing this spring. While it had been raining all morning, some rays of sunshine managed to light up the cafeteria where students gathered. Minjoo, wearing blue jeans and a top under a zipped-up hoodie, made her way through the tables, holding her trays and trying not to walk on the many sport bags scattered here. It showed some seasons were ending soon, with different student athletes alternating between classes, practices and competitions. Sumin and the artistic swimming team, for example, took a flight to Singapore for the World Aquatics Championships, cars and minivans coming and going from the centre to all over the country and the world. 

Minjoo loved this atmosphere. She loved how sports brought people together, allowing them to share their passion and discover new things. Two tables she passed by were occupied by American junior baseball players that came for the Korean League special event, and she loved hearing another language, seeing people coming from all over the world to have fun here. She excused herself and smiled awkwardly as one of the guys with curly brown hair bent down to push away his bag, the whole team reacting to the interaction. Minjoo smiled even more at that, not turning around even after her teammates nudged her about it. 

They settled at a table near the windows, and Minjoo placed her tray between Yena and Jiung’s, her back to the baseball team players. 

"I think at least three of them fell in love," Chanwoo commented, his mouth already full of ramen when not even all of them were seated. Could it be one ice chasing after the puck to get it, to start eating, to dump a girl for another one, or to get kicked out of the classroom, he was always fast. "Turn around, they’re still looking at you."

Minjoo rolled her eyes, amused, "Eunseo is kinda jealous, you know. I’m not playing."

The guy wearing a beanie mocked her, taking another full bite of his food, "you can have your ticket to Toronto with one of them and you worry about that?"

"Toronto is in Canada," she corrected with a short laugh, pouring herself and Yena a glass of water.

Chanwoo shrugged, grinning, some ramen sticking out, "Same thing."

Honestly, despite it all, Minjoo loved them. They were annoying, a little weird sometimes, gross, fantasising a little too much about figure skaters, and not always gentlemen, but they were her friends. Not her first team, definitely not her last, but her best; the team she mentally grew up in. Eating her salad little by little, she laughed at their antics—Jaehyuk and Daehyeon taking each other’s food with their bare hands—carefully listened to Jiung confess about those two girls he liked, and urged them to shut their mouths when they kept telling her every time the American baseball team's gus were looking in their direction.

Only this time, the ooo ’s didn’t sound like they were directed to their girl friend after they caught the curly-haired guy staring at her, and Minjoo turned to the entrance of the cafeteria as well. She also noticed a few other people looking at what made her stomach hurt, her heart flutter, her thoughts race, and her blood turn cold. She couldn’t believe how pretty the skater was, and catching another table of guys pointing at it and commenting afterwards was enough to make her eyes twitch, making her feel sick. She got up, ignoring her teammates when they asked where she was going. 

She entered the area where students were waiting to pick up their trays and walked up to Chaewon, grabbing a blue one for her, "that dress is so pretty."

"I thank you very much," the figure skater smiled knowingly, turning around to show it off. Obviously, Minjoo made sure to stand in front of her so the cafeteria wouldn’t see as much as she did, adjusting it a little. "Costume for the short program. Had to try it on because they just came in. They gave us a lunch break because there’s an issue with whatever."

Minjoo nodded slowly, observing carefully. Nice dress, indeed, a dusky red with black sequins around the waist down to the skirt and long black mesh sleeves covering her hands, her back totally revealing. She wasn’t wearing any skin-coloured leggings and her sneakers were the only thing that reminded them they weren’t in the rink nor at a fashion show, and the hockey player quickly brought her eyes back to her face, noticing a sly smile here. In other conditions, she would’ve kissed her. But not in the cafeteria where people were staring, and staring too much for her liking. Seriously, they should’ve chosen figure skating too if they wanted to see good-looking athletes wearing pretty outfits, or get lucky enough to date one—Minjoo bit back a smug smile.

The figure skater turned to grab a fruit, and her back looked so delicate and pretty in that dress Minjoo couldn’t help but eagerly step closer, a hand covering Chaewon's lower back mole, saying in her ear, "you really look beautiful."

"So do you. Love your hair," Chaewon smiled, bumping their shoulders with a genuine smile before they both leaned away. She regained her usual attitude. "Too bad, you won’t be able to see it under the spotlight. I think the glitter won’t look as good in pictures. 

"I’m gonna cry," the hockey player sulked, her gaze falling down the dress once again while Chaewon giggled.

It was the first time she saw her girlfriend wearing her competition outfit in real life, and if she was gorgeous on videos, her beauty was unreal in the cafeteria queue. Even more with little makeup and straight brown hair in a half bun.

Minjoo nibbled her lips to stop her mind from racing, forcefully shifting her gaze towards Hyunjin who lifted two fingers at her, equally elegant, wearing black pants with silver sequins and a mesh black shirt, the same pattern on the side. And looking the other way, she noticed Wonyoung in a blue dress and Jimin in practice clothes, skates hanging around her neck.

"You’re done eating?" Chaewon asked, briefly glancing at her before serving herself some ramen. Minjoo shook her head, and the girl cocked an eyebrow, "did you have this?"

"No–" A reprimanding glare cut off the hockey player. The national figure skater would always make sure she was eating well—something about her girlfriends and proteins.

Chaewon served more meat in the tray's compartment, ignoring her complaints. Despite not wanting to eat it, Minjoo felt warmer at the intention, quickly hiding her smile before getting scolded again for not getting enough food and having the audacity to find it funny. Chaewon looked back, a little confused. "So..? What do you want?"

The stomach-churning visions of billions of eyes on her girlfriend’s elegant figure came back in her mind, and she took off her hoodie, handing it to her.

"No," Chaewon immediately turned her back on her.

She insisted, a finger running down her bare spine, knowing it provoked a shiver, "Yes."

"You’re so annoying," the girl gave up—if she even wanted to fight in the first place, letting go of her tray to put on the hoodie whose sleeves fell over her hand, making her roll her eyes. "The colours don’t even match. I look ridiculous."

"Practise well," Minjoo cheekily smiled. Then, before Chaewon could talk back and probably complain, she playfully put the hood over her head and walked away.

She ignored the baseball players and also ignored her teammates when they commented about what must’ve been an expected interaction for them. Minjoo only wiggled her eyebrows before letting them comment on it, only looking at her girlfriend walking gracefully in the cafeteria, wearing her hoodie over her pretty skating dress. And it didn’t help when Chaewon came up to their table, exclusively looking at her, Yena and Seohan. She placed the meat in her tray and left after a soft punch on her cheek—Minjoo’s ears turned red, and she hated the fact that she ate everything, her teammates laughing at her for being so docile. Maybe they weren’t that oblivious. 

-

On the last Friday afternoon before their competitions, they met in front of Minjoo’s classroom as: soon as classes were over. Chaewon came straight from the rink where all the skaters practised for the whole day, performing their programs in front of everyone, starting to get into the spirit of the competition occurring the day after. Walking side by side, the skater gleefully told her about Wonyoung and Sunghoon’s free skate being sensational, to the point they were dangerous opponents in first place, and about Hong Jongin landing a quad in his program—he was their new star skater, only fifteen years old and already promising to follow Cha Junhwan’s path. Visibly in a good mood, Chaewon even insisted on them stopping by the little shop to grab some snacks before heading to her dorm.

Rain gave way to a beaming sun, people happy to go and lay on the fresh grass after a long day of classes and practices. Along the way, Minjoo waved at some people she knew and stopped by a group of girls from the South Korean national gymnastics junior team, handing one of them the notebook she borrowed earlier in the week. True to her character, Chaewon only stayed back, coldly observing them until they were done chatting—the skater mocked the girl's laugh, Minjoo acted like this annoyed her, and the figure skater kissed her cheek, so Minjoo couldn’t pretend anymore. She was possessive too, maybe even more so, but Chaewon actually rarely gave her a chance to be. Seeing her somewhere other than the rink, her dorm, and her classes with other people than two or three national skaters was a miracle. 

"I just have an hour of stretching and off-ice at eight," Chaewon announced, closing the door behind them. 

Knowing the room as if she was used to coming all the time, Minjoo grabbed the bag from her hand and walked to the fridge, socks sliding on the clean floor. It was definitely not something she could do in hers; half of their stuff was scattered on the floor most of the time—they once tried to set up a cleaning planner, but it never worked. Changing her outfit to something more comfortable, she settled on the bed, watching the other girl close the blinds and take out a fresh bottle of water. The room was dimly lit, a few lines of light coming in and passing across the tables and Jimin’s bed. Minjoo sighed in contentment as the skater crawled over her body to get to her side, enveloping her in her perfume. 

The laptop placed at their feet displayed an episode of this dating show's new season. The skater was thoroughly following it, and Minjoo liked cuddling in bed doing nothing so it was a win-win situation. As summer break was approaching, hockey and HTC rink aside, this was probably what she was going to miss the most. Chaewon was graduating at the end of the second semester and if, hopefully, she entered the Korea National Sport University, that meant they wouldn’t be seeing each other as often as they were doing. Conceivably, Minjoo couldn’t imagine a day without the skater, and maybe this summer break before her last semester at HTC started would help her get accustomed to the feeling, but for now, she only settled more comfortably, fingertips softly scratching the skater’s back.

Chaewon scoffed at a contestant’s joke, and Minjoo woke up from her half-sleep. 

She wasn’t a big reality show enthusiast—it bored her to the point she was often napping when the figure skater was so invested, but now, she wanted the attention the girl was giving these random people to herself. And so, Minjoo tried to get into it, watching whoever was getting to know that girl who kept giggling—was it politeness or she simply didn’t get a word of what he was saying and awkwardly laughed it off? She got her answer and even laughed along with Chaewon when the woman confessed afterwards that she didn’t understand him at all. It was entertaining, but was it more than her? She sighed profoundly, Chaewon’s head heavy on her chest.

It didn’t make her girlfriend throw her laptop aside and shower her with kisses yet, so she did it again, taking in as much air as possible before letting it all out. Chaewon giggled before lifting her head up, staring at her with a coy smile, "if you want something, just ask."

The hockey player laughed in embarrassment, and Chaewon wrapped her hands under her body, holding her closer. Tomorrow was a big day for Chaewon. The first day of skating competitions is often the most decisive as it determines whether they advance to the free skate phase where scores practically double. Even though they were the country’s favourites and most likely winners of the cup, a mistake on their first program could ruin it all. She spent the whole day practising over and over, making sure everything was perfect, and now Minjoo knew she needed some good rest. 

Their sports were absolutely different from each other. The hockey player had her final game on Sunday and aside from practices, pasta and a good night, she didn’t have anything to be truly worried about as hockey was unpredictable. Everything was to happen in the game, and pressuring herself would literally not change a thing but make it harder. On the other side, figure skaters carried it all on their shoulders.

They had to execute each element flawlessly and captivate the audience with their artistic performance all while paying absolute attention to their technique as every slight mistake cost a lot. Each of their moves was thoroughly scrutinised, and it hurt seeing these videos of skaters breaking down in tears after their program, knowing they messed it up and could only blame themselves. Chaewon had told her how it happened once for a competition where she fell on the landing and it was truly something she wished never happened again, and Minjoo could only hope so. She admired the world champion’s dedication and her strength as she faced this immense pressure, and it warmed her heart when Chaewon sighed in comfort.

Her fingers softly caressing Chaewon’s back again, she remembered this small conversation they had at the beginning of the week and how she’d said she would love to be a figure skater without the figure skating part. It actually made some sense. As a hockey player, she grew up with those impressive athletes and had always been impressed by them—dating a world champion still felt unreal. On the ice, they were just so magnificent; they didn’t seem like real people you would hang around with, yet that’s what made them so charming. When they were just young adults, off-ice, wearing fleeces, knowing they were honoured and appreciated solely for what they produced. Yeah, Chaewon was loved for her elegance and her precise techniques, sport journalists and ice lovers praising her assurance on ice. It all belonged to her, and Minjoo loved that in figure skating. She loved that for Chaewon who deserved the appreciation she was getting on ice.

The episode wasn’t that boring, by the way; the participants were somehow entertaining and the hosts had some interesting things to say, but Chaewon turned it off, putting on some music instead.

Minjoo closed her eyes, the rhythmic rise and fall of Chaewon's breathing soothing her as well. Her thoughts shifted to the upcoming competition. The Korean Figure Skating Championships were, humbly, not as significant as the world competitions the pair had already won, but this one held deep meaning. As the Olympic Games qualifications approached, it was the last competition affiliated with the International Skating Union, meaning it was their last chance to score high enough and obtain places to qualify. Chaewon had explained it a couple times, and Minjoo understood the big picture; not only did they have to win, but they also needed to make the best score possible to compensate for other teams' lower scores.

She knew how much it meant to Chaewon, not only as an athlete but also as a person who had dedicated her whole life to her passion. Her heart was heavy again as she recalled that she wouldn’t be able to attend both days because of practices and her own finale, and she knew how her presence was also so important to Chaewon. She would fight the world for a smile on the world champion’s face, but she definitely wouldn't fight Coach Oh and all the HTC team for arriving late or missing the game.

"Hey, I'm sorry I won’t be there but you’re going to do amazing tomorrow. You’re on my stick and I’m on your skates, right?" She gently her hair, and Chaewon muttered something, holding her close. "I believe in you and Hyunjin, but remember that no matter what happens, I’m so proud of you, miss."

Chaewon simply smiled. A pure and genuine smile showing her love and gratitude, until it slowly became more playful, and she lifted a brow, "your mood changed?"

"Not really," Minjoo smiled, grabbing her nape to bring her closer for a kiss, and they both giggled as Chaewon went down her neck.

Yeah, the figure skater loved to talk about communication until she had to actually communicate her feelings back, but the hockey player once again couldn’t complain. Sometimes it was irritating, but most of the time she liked it. She simply closed her eyes, her fingertips passing through soft brown hair, loving slow kisses down her neck, heart beating so fast in her chest that she had trouble breathing properly—and a stomachache.

The alarm rang a little more than an hour later, and Chaewon got up, pushing the hockey player's arm aside to stretch as if she hadn't woken up to attend a stretching session at the rink. Minjoo admired figure skaters, but that was a part of the figure skating thing she didn’t like about figure skating. Would Cocho ever call them late at night and ask them to go do some leg exercises? Definitely not. Anyway, she turned her back on the girl who was changing her inside clothes for her practice outfits, trying to stay focused on her scenario.

"Are you staying here?" The skater asked as she sat down on the side of the bed, putting on her slippers. "I’ll have to pack my things and shower."

"If I don’t wake up then I’ll be there," Minjoo mumbled into the pillow. The skater slapped her hip, shaking her body.  

"Can you go buy me strawberry milk? I forgot to take one." Chaewon promptly asked, and the hockey player turned around under the covers again, facing her with a scowl. Goodbye, world competitions, trophies and wonderful things. Chaewon shook her body even harder—it felt better in her dreams. "You won’t come see me perform my first program that I learned with you and got us to be together. You can at least–"

"You’re wicked," Minjoo cut her off, sitting up and pointing at her shirt rolled up in the corner of the bed.

Chaewon bent down to the side and grabbed it, lifting another eyebrow before allowing her to take it, "with orion choco pies and a smile?"

The hockey player sighed again, sarcastically beaming as she put on her shirt. She got up, hands in the pockets of her shorts, shuffling her feet to her slippers, Chaewon boasting in her back, bragging about being the luckiest girl on earth for having such a generous and spontaneous girlfriend. They left the dorm, Chaewon’s arm around Minjoo’s neck until they parted ways, one of them heading to the rink, the other to the small shop again, flipping a KCW magnetic card between her fingers—it was her girlfriend’s money, so she bought herself a chocolate bar to celebrate the end of another dreadful week of classes and enduring the skater’s attitude.

-

The fresh night air allowed Minjoo to open the windows, taking a good look at the city outside before running back to the bed, sitting comfortably. She put on her headphones and placed the Ryan plushie on her lap to get some support before joining in a game her teammates just started, announcing her presence in a theatrical way. She remembered that one time one of the guys asked where the hell she was and she’d replied, without thinking, ‘kim chaewon’s dorm’. Needless to say, they all laughed as if it were a sassy comeback.

Minjoo never really cared to ask them if they actually thought she was more than just friends with HTC’s sweetheart. Since they were always joking around, she still noticed they would make fewer comments about Chaewon than they used to before, to her peace of mind. Still, she respected the skater’s situation, and if she had to make a fool of herself and assure her friends there was nothing going on with the skater and that she was just as delusional as them, she would do it. On a certain level, of course, but they already discussed it enough. Secret and private, not imaginary.

This had caused one of their biggest arguments where Minjoo contemplated, for less than a second, giving up and letting Chaewon walk away. But thankfully, she’d held her back, and now they were stronger.

And thus, there she was, showered, smelling Chaewon’s body gel and shampoo, wearing some new gym shorts and a Four Continents Championships in Colorado Springs shirt with Korea printed on the back—perks of dating a national athlete, Minjoo travelled all around the world each time she touched a medal or merch coming from a different place. Like Placid, Beijing, Sapporo, Vancouver, Tokyo, Cortina d'Ampezzo, Vienna... she saw all these places from the skater's bed, making her want to do just as much. With her, who knows? For now, she travelled to the other side of the interactive map.  

The game went on, and she took revenge for all the times Ryan stole her place in her girlfriend’s arms by punching him when someone shot her from a distance. And she shamelessly did it again after falling from a moving car, getting hit in return—by Chaewon, who was packing her things freshly showered, not by Ryan, who was now safe under the Vegas Knights shirt the skater was wearing. They really liked switching pyjamas.

Jimin entered the room half an hour later and got as startled as the two girls who turned around in her direction, in sync, wearing green face masks and doing each other’s nails. An hour later, the three of them were meditating, sitting down on the floor, their backs against the solo figure skater’s bed, focusing on their breathing, ready to spend a good night of sleep before their competition—and Minjoo’s game.  

As it was getting late, Minjoo hugged the tall skater before crashing down on Chaewon who was already laying under her covers, their bodies melting together in a warm, affectionate hug. She held onto her tightly, savouring the moment, trying to convert all her love and support into strength as she wouldn’t be able to do it when Chaewon would need it before stepping on the ice. Tomorrow would be a really important day for her and her carrier, and after a last hug and encouraging words, she reluctantly pulled away, the skater holding on to her fingers. They had to wake up early in the morning, and Minjoo walked out the door, waving one last time.

But Chaewon didn’t let her go so easily, rushing back to her arms. "You don’t know how much you mean to me."

"I feel it," Minjoo assured, hugging her back, arms wrapping around her neck. Chaewon’s warmth spread all over her body. "Have fun tomorrow and call me whenever you can."

"Thank you," the skater said, holding her closer, whispering, "you’re my favourite feeling."

"You’re mine too," Minjoo trailed out, staying like this for a moment before slowly letting go. The skater went back into her room, leaving Minjoo alone in the corridor, her heart full of the most beautiful emotions. Since when was she so emotive? She walked back to her dorm with a heavy heart full of love, knowing Yena was probably already sleeping. Minjoo trusted Chaewon and Hyunjin. She knew the figure skaters would win this, and it would be the fulfillment of what they’ve been building together. A new beginning, somehow, if Two weeks came to an end with a gold medal, an entry for the Winter Olympics and new hockey opportunities.