so good

two weeks

The class went so slowly Minjoo could have REM sleep before the Maths teacher even got to the point he wanted to make. As usual, he started his speech with, I'm not going to dwell on it, then sat down at his desk chair, intertwined his fingers, removed his glasses, scanned the class then.. he dwelt on it. At first, the students could only rejoice in wasting a few minutes listening to Professor Jung complain either about the papers or what he considered to be the poor level of the class, the syllabus, or anything else that came to his mind. After a while, even the most diligent students couldn't take it anymore, slugging on their seats with every minute that passed without the teacher correcting an exercise or going into a new notion before asking for homework for the next day.

If Minjoo usually used his rants to do a bit of discreet stretching and perhaps close her eyes for a few moments, she was way too awake this morning to let herself doze off. The upper-body session had been exhausting but really efficient given the heaviness in her arm every time she moved a little. With her legs stretched out under her desk and dressed in her proper uniform for once, the brunette passed the time by drawing eyes on a corner of her exercise book. The more she practised, the more they looked like actual eyes. Consequently, she had to ask the few classmates who were happy to share their notes when she wanted to study. Admittedly, It wasn't very fair play, but for some reason, her classmates didn't mind spending some time with her. So, slumped in her desk chair, she only looked up from her drawing to watch the clock over the whiteboard. Twenty minutes left, and Professor Jung had just gone on and on about something related to the it he didn't want to dwell on, so she sighed and turned her head towards the window. 

Good thing for her shoes and hair, it hadn't rained all morning despite the grey and threatening weather. From the second floor, the building opposite was imposing. The windows looked out onto lit classrooms and students in navy blue uniforms, tracksuits and other clothes. She couldn't see the cafeteria in Building B from where she was sitting, but she presumed that the lucky ones whose classes were already over were starting to flow in, taking advantage of being the first to eat more calmly. Chaewon was one of them since she'd had practice as soon as Minjoo finished the morning's classes and... that was it; the hockey player couldn't help but smile behind the palm of her hand. She hadn't even gone three minutes without thinking about her. In fact, for weeks now, she had been thinking about the skater so much it was embarrassing. Minjoo would think about her laugh, or she remembered their legs touching shyly then confidently, Chaewon’s hand gripping hers to get her phone back... all the times they giggled together and how Chaewon would always find a subtle way to be close to her.

Again, she smiled as she watched the first green leaves appear on the tree branches. The arrival of spring meant so many good things for the centre, which became even warmer when the plants and flowers contrasted with the black asphalt and white infrastructures. It made it even more alive, more agreeable. It was the return of outdoor games during breaks, the possibility of lying down on the green lawn in the shadow of a tree before resuming classes or eating at the shaded tables in the courtyard. Mostly, it was the beginning of indoor championships in preparation for the next important winter competitions. And for Minjoo, it also meant that Chaewon would dye her hair back to brown. Or maybe a little lighter or darker, she didn’t know yet. First spring with Chaewon, and even though Minjoo wasn't a poet, she knew that would make a lot of pretty lines and rhymes. Something like love growing out of a snowflake, growing like a flower before blooming and making beautiful pink petals—or lighter, or darker, she didn’t know yet.

Another fond smile danced on her lips, and then the inevitable happened. More than that, her stomach flipped, blood rushing through her body, lingering especially on her cheeks as she felt the shivers of hugging Chaewon again. Worse, she had to bury her head in her arms to close her eyes and bite her foolish smile, reliving over and over the feeling of Chaewon’s glossy lips brushing hers. , this was real, so much better than a dream. She could barely believe it. She'd dared, well, Minjoo had seized the chance when she'd grabbed her nape, did it without a second thought, and even though it hadn't really been more than a light peck, it had been enough to make Chaewon open up a little more in the night, confessing things she hadn't dared to say before either. No hasty words. Not for Minjoo, nor for the skater, but their metaphors, phrases and intentions couldn't have been clearer; they liked each other and only had a few more days to bloom before revealing a delicate flower with a green stem and pale, white snow petals.

She couldn't wait. Even though her stomach churned with nervousness at the thought of seeing her again, she couldn't wait. And Chaewon couldn't either, apparently. Because as soon as Minjoo pulled out her phone at the end of class, she was greeted by a picture of the skater holding her chopsticks, already wearing her white jacket, making big eyes at the camera, telling her she'd come in advance again.

-

Maybe her athlete pride and ego wouldn't admit it, but she missed Seohan. They used to be this little squad within the team where they thought they could tell each other everything. Apparently, not everything, though. Those secrets, for sure, made things awkward between them, but now that everything was resolved, Minjoo could only be delighted to escape the team effect and have a quiet meal with Seohan, Yena and Jiung. The four players hurried, passing a few people in line, making sure they could find a good table. By the way, Minjoo spotted Sumin and her friends. She gave her a thumbs up, which the swimmer replicated before disappearing into the courtyard towards the pool.

Hopefully, if they could skip a bit more of waiting, they'd catch a glimpse of their skaters before they disappeared in turn, so Minjoo and Seohan stood taller and fierce, lightly shoving those who didn't get out of their way. Oh, one girl almost protested, but the hockey player immediately apologised with a smile so smooth the girl said it was fine before frowning as Yena shoved her. Not yet at the extent of rugby and basketball players, but hockey players were too used to bumping into each other to be delicate when it came to seeing pink hair and blonde highlights. Minjoo, Seohan and the others swaggered while slipping between a group of badminton players, finally reaching the trays.  

Mission successful as they immediately found an unoccupied table, just under a collection of sports diplomas awarded to the school. Most importantly, the nationals were just about to leave, Jimin and Chaewon waiting for the boy to empty his tray before going. Of course, the skater was not unnoticed with her pink hair, national team jacket and skates hanging from her shoulders by the laces. Maybe Minjoo had never minded it before, but now, as if suddenly endowed with magical power, she noticed anyone whose gaze lingered a little too long on the skater. If she didn't have self-respect and common sense, she would start crying before going insane and begging everyone to stop looking at her. But after all, she didn't really have to. Because as soon as their eyes met, it was as if the whole cafeteria disappeared.

The skater lifted her brow as Hyunjin pointed at their table, and the next thing Minjoo knew, the nationals were coming to them—a month ago, she wouldn’t have believed it.

"Are you guys almost done?" The blonde-haired boy scoffed as he approached them, and the two hockey players who got what he was talking about wanted to die out of embarrassment. Yena coughed, exchanging a look with her best friend. "No, because if you could leave... we need to eat."

"You want a dog bowl to eat next to me?" Seohan was, for evident reasons, amused to stand up to the intimidating skater. Besides, if Minjoo had been paying attention before, she would've minded how those two never took their eyes off each other.

They were a good match, by the way. Hyunjin possessed delicate, strict features, a rather slender and graceful figure, and always dressed elegantly, even when wearing his tracksuit. Seohan was taller, more muscular, and almost always dressed comfortable rather than stylish, with medium-length hair hidden under a cap and a pair of glasses on his nose, but they looked well together. For all one knows if they decided to not hide anymore, they'd make jaws drop, but their relationship seemed perfect for them anyway. Minjoo smiled as she watched them exchange sarcastic remarks as if the world didn't exist for them either. Then, a familiar smell coming closer and closer captured all her attention—she was trying to play it cool in front of her friends before. 

Chaewon was probably doing it on purpose, slightly leaning on Minjoo while listening to the boys bickering. Oh, the hockey player felt the snowflakes spinning and the earth turning far too quickly, the pressure of the skater's legs against her arm becoming more than a faint touch. Chaewon was, in fact, doing it on purpose. Minjoo pinched her lips, pressing her shoulder against the skater. Seohan called Hyunjin an affenshire before getting called a Yorkie because of his hair. And then Chaewon used Minjoo's shoulder to rest her elbow and scrutinise her nails for a moment. They leaned a bit more onto each other. Yena joked with the guys and Jiung casually joined them after making sure it was okay. The skater dropped her hand, white polish coming into the hockey player's line of sight. She smiled a little more. Chaewon was doing it discreetly, but Minjoo guessed as much.

"You styled your bangs," the skater said in a low voice after signalling to her partner that it was time for them to go.

Trying to act nonchalant, not showing that the mere thought of Chaewon's fingers brushing her hair gave her a whole bunch of butterflies in her stomach, Minjoo nodded. Except that the brushing became virulent, teasing, devastating, and without her being able to fight back, she found herself with her bangs tangled. Indeed, she looked like those crazy haired dogs. She turned around, rolling her eyes as the skater walking away gave her one last, almost playful smile, raising an innocent eyebrow. Oh yes, she'd seen everything that happened with Sumin before lunch the day before, and for once, Minjoo was the one who had to arrange her hair using her phone as a mirror.

The rest of lunch was spent in a friendly atmosphere. Jiung and Yena came down to earth with a bang as they realised how well Seohan was hiding his game, but after a few curious questions, the discussion quickly drifted to other trivial things that made them laugh like kids. Then, they took advantage of their free lunch break to go and settle in one of the quiet carpet corridors.

Slumped on the floor, her back resting against her large sports bag, her head on Seohan's shoulder and Yena's jacket on her legs, the center was finally enjoying all the advantages of having the boyfriend of her crush's best friend as a friend. Everything was evident now, like the few times he rushed out of the locker room and didn't eat with them or when he was smiling texting this mysterious person—who, thank Goodness, wasn't Chaewon. Seohan told them Hyunjin had contacted him first through socials and that they'd gotten together after a few months of talking, their first kiss being at an Arcade in Seoul. Minjoo was looking forward to dating Chaewon like any other young adult couple whose life didn't depend on ice and skates, but for now, she was more than content to watch the videos Seohan had taken at a competition where he'd gone to support his flirt.

Despite their reputation of being rigid and fierce, the end of competitions looked pretty fun as participants of all ages and genders assembled on the ice as performances were over and results were announced. Without much effort, and despite the hundred or so skaters here, Minjoo immediately spotted the couple in the beige outfit. She grinned like a fool, keeping herself from biting Seohan's arm to appease the sensations of seeing the skater in her performance outfit. Needless to say, despite all the skaters gathered to celebrate and wave to the audience, the boy was zooming on Hyunjin and her partner. Minjoo realised her luck even more as she watched Chaewon doing the Fiancé choreography with other athletes, unable to hold back an embarrassed smile, gold medal around her neck, hiding at the back after being on the podium and in the spotlight all evening. 

Assuredly, the spring rain brings serenity and joy to many people. As if souls and bodies come together, sheltering from raindrops, the symbol of warmer days coming in friendship as in love. Minjoo loved that warm feeling of doing nothing with her friends, just as she had loved spending half an hour gossiping about people with Chaewon. Peacefulness in little things. She felt comfortable as if she could say anything now that the misunderstandings and secrets were far behind, left over from the previous season. It started to rain again, and they decided to rest a bit in anticipation of the evening's training. Cosy, she snuggled a little more against Seohan and let Yena's legs over hers under the jacket. She had her friends and soon the prettiest world champion girlfriend. At this point, all she needed was the title of Asian champions to get all she ever needed or dreamed of, and given the captain's determination to send the team to the play-offs' finals, she didn't really have anything to worry about.

-

The rink's silence amplified every blade slide and the sound of sticks clashing. It was dark, as usual, with only a few spotlights illuminating the ice where players in more casual training gear were practising drills over and over, under the supervision of Coach Oh, who was as uncompromising as ever. He spotted every mistake, every detail, every delay in executing a strategy he was putting in place to play against the Nippon Paper Cranes' tough defence. The Japanese club was known for playing on little points differences, being particularly good at destabilising forwards to make quick and effective counter-attacks. This wasn't the first time the teams competed in play-offs. In fact, HTC lost by two points in the previous game, so that was enough motivation for everyone to put all their energy into the drills.

Minjoo regained her breath as best as she could after a quick hockey stop as she came up behind the left face-off spot, pulling in line behind Ryujin. The forward player was one of the pillars of the game strategy. As a center, she was, in game, the most flexible player on the team, covering a larger area. She had to show versatility and speed to react to every situation. Unlike Seohan, the other center who played as a gifted passer and rebounding scorer, more like Yena and Jiung, Minjoo used her skillfulness and quickness to be the lead scorer. Coach Oh took advantage of her recklessness to make her a striker, and while the result paid off, the pressure was high.

After a final breath, hardly swallowing, she dashed to the opposite face-off far away, circling it and returning backwards, then a quick stop at the red line before switching to a forward run. She retrieved the puck and sent it into the high corner of the net without Intak being able to stop it, already repositioned to try and intercept the next shot. Skating back to the starting spot, Minjoo listened carefully to Coach Oh's criticism that she wasn't looking behind her enough while going backwards. It took her four more repetitions to satisfy the coach, and as usual, she collapsed on the bench once he allowed the five-minute break.

Beyond the pain of having her feet compressed in her skates for a long time already, the young player struggled to breathe properly. Although she was not equipped with the bulkiest and most heavy gear, this training method based on drills and endurance was really exhausting. During game situation practices, the rhythm was less regular and different with every direction of the puck and sticks' . In the present circumstances, they were repeating the same movements repeatedly, having to be quicker and more reactive every time, forced to think about each element. To be sure, drills and warm-ups were essential to win a game, but here again, Coach's sadistic tendencies were showing as he gave them a break only after he couldn't scold anything anymore. But hey, it was for the best. Minjoo straightened up, grimacing, taking a long breath to try and relax the aching tension in her abdomen.  

Far from being delicate, Minjoo had to admit that lately, practices, classes and talking late at night with Chaewon didn't add up very well. She had no intention of letting go of any of the three; she would just admit it. However, if their late-night conversations were to impact the skater whose practices were also becoming more rigorous, she'd allow herself to rest for real. Maybe she just needed a good three to four days of sleep. For now, her body was still holding up a little, so when the whistle blew, she stood up and skated to the face-off, pulling her helmet tighter around her head as they finally went into a game situation to end the training with some practice and a little release.

-

She would've fallen asleep if she'd spent one more minute in the shower. Icy water helped blood circulation and recovery after exercise, of course, but for the time being, a good shower with bordering boiling water felt way too good. She hurriedly dried her hair before letting Ryujin leave with her hair dryer and left in turn after moisturising her whole body with perfumed cool body gel. As usual, not a soul on the rink as Jimin hadn't arrived yet. Teddy was driving the Zamboni while listening to his music, and Minjoo didn't have enough force to climb the stairs to the bleachers' platform, dropping onto the first row of blue seats.

She opened their shared playlist renowned '<3' and buried her hands in her Vegas Golden Knights jersey's pockets, her heavy legs kept warm in a North Face black jogger. Not being able to fight for another minute, gently rocked by this song Chaewon added the previous night, she dozed off until the door opened loudly to Jimin and her coach. The tall brunette offered her a smile—unlike the day before, and took possession of the ice. Then, turning up the volume of their favourite songs to cover the Tango, Minjoo fell asleep again, her feet up on the seat, head between her knees. 

Some times later—she didn't know exactly, she woke up with a pleasant feeling. Without looking further, her heart missed a beat when the first thing she saw was the skater sitting next to her, scrolling through her phone, earphones on. Happen all the heat gained from her uncomfortable position melted her a little, but not as much as the tender smile Chaewon offered her when she noticed she'd woken up. How had she arrived without making a sound? How long had she been here, and wait, had Minjoo really fallen asleep to the point the skater didn't want to wake her up? Before she could say anything, Chaewon pulled out an earphone.

"Hey you," with malice and affection, she raised an eyebrow. Almost naturally, she brushed the younger girl's warm cheek, teasing the red spots. "Is skating after a puck that exhausting?"

"Oh please," Minjoo said, one hand in front of as she yawned. She didn't want to dwell on her crazy heartbeat. Chaewon came in advance for her yet hadn't woken her up. She'd just sit there, close, silently, waiting either for Minjoo to wake up or her practice to start. The hockey player blinked once, then twice, not believing how...cute that was. "I can't even I-Oh, I feel like dying. Do you wanna go up?"

"Why? What’d Cocho do this time?" Gathering her things, the skater asked. If Minjoo called Coach Kwon by her name, Chaewon named the man as if she was a winger in the National 3. She already said she felt like a part of the team now anyway—against her will, she still ‘hated’ hockey and ‘everything’ related to it. 

Climbing the stairs with difficulty, each step sore because of exhaustion, Minjoo explained why this practice was a near-death experience. In a small, whiny voice, making sure she got the skater's pity by giving her dejected looks, the hockey player complained about the two breaks in two hours of practice. Then about her boots being too small—new pair of skates waiting for her at home—about how evil Coach Oh told her she skated like a blind lass and how she fell during a quick turn. Chaewon responded 'awww' and 'oh noo' and ‘babyy' every time. Hence, Minjoo also complained about her maths teacher, her bangs growing a bit too much, those two girls who talked too loud in history and her brother using her account, stopping her from watching her usual morning anime episode.

It worked well enough, as she got several pats on the head and then a caring one that actually flustered her. Chaewon tucked a strand of her freshly shampooed hair behind her ear, giggling as she discovered a blush hiding there. Then as it was cute, standing up afterfolding, Minjoo gently bumped her fist against the skater's cheek, touching her smile. As in the early days, any excuse was a good one to get a little closer. Awkwardly, at first, finding out it was like them and how they were. The reserved ice princess was intimidatingly straightforward, and the reckless forward was charmingly subtle. Hot and cold energy, finding the perfect balance in each other. Somehow, a first love that was conveniently pretty evident.

They sat under the low wall that separated two tiers of bleachers, hidden by the row of blue seats, just under one of the rink's heaters. It wasn't yet a cafe in Seoul where they could take pictures of each other and pretend not to notice or an arcade where Minjoo could win a stuffed animal and give it to Chaewon. It wasn't even a fast-food restaurant, a fair with fairy wheels or a park where they could picnic, it was the ice rink, but it was perfect because they were both sitting against the wall, glued together, warm and comfy. More and more comfortable in each other's presence, Minjoo did as she did earlier with her friends, lying down on the clean floor, slumped against her bag.

As Jimin rehearsed her program, Chaewon talked about her day and how things were going for Hyunjin and her. He adapted quickly, grasping every sequence as if he didn't miss two weeks of practice. Then, a comfortable silence settled in. Minjoo yawned uncontrollably. Eyes half closed, she asked, only lifting her head towards the pink-haired skater, "Do you mind if I sleep again a little bit?"

The pink-haired skater looked at her for a few moments, eyes almost sparkling in fondness if Minjoo could decipher it, a faint smile on her lips, "am I boring?"

"Kinda," Minjoo yawned again, blaming her words on fatigue. "But I want be with you all the time, though. You know, carrying you over my shoulder and putting you in my pockets... You'd fit. I mean, actually, hey, I'm already thinking about you-wait, can you just-"

"Sure." Chaewon chuckled, unable to help but place her palm on Minjoo's goofy smile, protecting her heart, "sure, rest. Sorry you like me too much."

It was warm in here, the carpeted floor and her bag were comfortable, the clothes made her feel relaxed, Chaewon smelled good, she was too pretty, too cute, there with her, and she liked her a little too much. She smiled at the skater again, taking her hand away, holding it a little longer, not caring if she looked lovestruck. Her heart pounding, feeling light as a candyfloss cloud, Minjoo chuckled, shifting her position, laying her head comfortably on Chaewon's thighs. Like you, that you can make me feel, feel, feel so good. Her eyes already closed, she heard a soft giggle before she felt fingers in her hair, then her temples, tracing little circles, words perhaps. Chaewon told her this song she'd added in the night reminded her of them, and Minjoo listened to it again, snowflakes waltzing in her lungs as she fell asleep to now you're here, life has never felt, felt, felt so good.

Because it was true. Minjoo was glad she stopped when Viderski called her name more than two weeks ago when she was about to leave the rink. It was half past ten. It made no sense to ask her to do that...figure skating with a national because her partner got injured? But she met eyes with Chaewon, and the latter took her breath and senses away. Just like that, that first time, then a second time watching her perform Bite, then a third when she held her hand to get up and, well, every time they glanced and smiled at each other. Minjoo pondered, should she talk to her? Should she introduce herself? Should she try to get to know more than what figure skating together could tell? See past her coldness and reputation? What if she messes up? She did it once or twice, but in the end, it was the best reckless decision of her life. Minjoo doubted, overthought for the first time in her life, but it was euphoria, her best moments, the best sensations. She was drained between classes, hockey and love, but she was with Chaewon, and it felt really good. Especially with her fingers passing through her hair.