latch

two weeks

Minjoo had only herself to blame. Despite her relative impulsiveness in making choices, she was still quite logical and rational. Sure, she'd shoot without really thinking about the goalie's position—and score almost every time, or she'd tell Chaewon things late at night that she'd never dare tell her during the day, but it was all still at least beneficial to her. Sitting right in front of Daehyeon and Jaehyuc was not. At first, it was, though, to enjoy their snacks, but not when keeping Minjoo and Yena from closing the flight's eye was their only entertainment. Everything from banging their heads to lowering their seats and sliding their heads between them... anything to keep them awake and, apparently, motivated. Yena snitched to Cocho as soon as they landed, with both girls giggling as they watched the defensemen get reprimanded in front of everyone.

A bus then drove them to the nearest hotel to the rink, a family hotel on a large avenue run by a sympathetic woman used to hockey teams and their energy. A few souvenir photos of teams adorned the lobby's walls as the magnetic cards' distribution took place in a (brouhaha) even the coordinators could no longer manage, busy with paperwork and other more boring things. Yena, Ryujin and Minjoo moved to a room overlooking the rink on which large displays from Nippon Paper Cranes were visible, pink cherry trees sublimating the landscape as if it were a painting. Naturally, Minjoo took a picture for Chaewon and then climbed into the bunk bed over Yena, taking advantage of their two-free hours to finally take a well-deserved nap. 

But alas, the world was against her sleep that day, but this time she wasn't going to complain. Chaewon instantly replied with a quick selfie of her grimacing, her hair as pink as cherry blossoms, her cheeks still red from her private practice, asking for a room tour and more photos of the view. What could be refused to such a pretty girl? Minjoo climbed back down the ladder, filming the hotel room as a real-estate agent would dream of doing, lingering on the specimen lying in the bottom bunk and the one who had already slipped under the sheets of the opposite bed. She explored the bathroom, pointing to the sanitary products and inventing cosmetic reviews before finally moving to the window, zooming in on whatever caught her eye. Again, Chaewon responded with several videos, also looking like an expert on shower gel and soap, saying they were ideal for her skin textures and skin care, then commenting on the view and the scenery. They talked some more, the skater telling about her practice as she walked through the streets of Seoul back to the centre. Running her hand through her hair a few times, grumbling at two kids who pushed her while running, complaining about her homework and other things, never without a smile. Then, as they knew each other even better, Chaewon asked her to send her a message when she woke up before the game, and Minjoo fell asleep immediately, as did her two teammates.

Three hours later, they were dressed in navy tracksuits with wite and blue stripes, their names and numbers flocked to the jackets' backs. Earphones in, still dizzy from her long nap, Minjoo followed the rest of the team through the rink's corridor. Her duffle bag weighed on her shoulder, but the adrenaline was already starting to flow. Chaewon had improvised herself as a cheerleader with Jimin and another national skater, Wonyoung, waving T-shirts and singing an anthem for her. Go Minjoo, go Minjoo. That alone would ensure victory. So once they were in the locker room, bag on the floor, no more earphones, Jiung's speaker blasting rap music, the center was already preparing to play one of the most unusual games of her career. 

The Nippon Paper Cranes lived up to their reputation. Meeting some of them in the corridors, as tough and tall as Daehyeon and Jaehyuc. Minjoo wasn't the type to be intimidated, but for sure, her size would never be a match for one of them if they decided to target her, as Cocho warned they could. That's why she had to play fast yet relaxed, to not be surprised. One of them smiled at them, bowing politely before trotting off with his skates to his friends, laughing out loud in the toilets. It was definitely going to be a good game. A little further down the corridors, the Minjoo of a few months ago would have turned to Yena to gush over the three skaters surely coming out of the second rink. But nothing could be done about it. They didn't even catch her eye a little bit—yet, considering the reactions of the others, they must have been hot. Still, another skater arrived in the hallway, and this one smiled first, discretely but obviously enough for Minjoo to notice it was for her. She smiled back, then, biting a smirk, promptly texted her own world champion.

a paper cranes figure skater just smiled at me... she wants me i fear

Sitting on the benches, waiting for a tall male figure skater to end his practice, Minjoo giggled as soon as she received the notification. It would take some time before she could get used to it, as it seemed so unreal. They talked about it during the day. Agreeing the initial deadline was over and that it was time anyway. It had been over a month, hours and hours of discussion and time spent getting to know each other, enough to make it as natural as possible.

chae1kim

tell her your gf says hi and focus, thank you:)

Minjoo had suggested it the night before sleeping, and Chaewon seemingly liked the thought as well. Her girlfriend... Minjoo loved it so much that the nervousness that was starting to give her a stomach ache metamorphosed into white butterflies, like snowflakes.

But the serenity was purely temporary. A few minutes later, the Zamboni passed over the ice as the public began to take their places in the bleachers. The rink was filled with music and hits that drowned out the heckling of the arriving spectators. Cocho gathered them in the changing room, looking stern, serious, and already focused. He pushed his glasses up on his nose, his dark eyes scanning each of the players. He repeated the importance of playing fast, on the forwards and with strength. The HTC players knew from experience and sighting them in the corridors that they were playing against a team of behemoths who would not hesitate for a second before making a fool of them. Minjoo swallowed her saliva, nervously holding her gloves and biting her nail. Seohan noticed and patted her on the shoulder while Cocho continued his briefing. The last step before the final is practically the most important. They'd come too far to lose now. They'd worked too hard to let themselves be thrown off balance.

"We have everything to win, but they have everything to make us lose," Cocho said, uncompromising. "Everyone plays their best. It's a different game. It's gonna be harsh but I believe in you all. Let's go?"

The whole team energetically high-fived and then left the room, taking turns retrieving their sticks and equipment in the hallway. Minjoo took another deep breath, the helmet settled on her head but not yet fastened under her jaw, a single glove on. Cocho's words were replaying in her head. Not the ones he'd been shouting at all of them for the past week. No, the ones that had been said precisely to her. He had all his hopes on her, all of them. He didn't say it explicitly since he was still Oh Taecyeon or the stiffness in person, but Minjoo understood enough; the final score did rest on her shoulders. Sure, it was gratifying. Minjoo constantly gave her best, pushing herself to her limits to make the best performances. Perseverance, recklessness in the face of obstacles and talent made her an undeniably formidable player. Everything is subjective to situations, nevertheless. A recruiter might see a fast, careless, reckless kid rather than a prodigious player. Cocho explained this to her, and this match was an opportunity to prove how far her prowess could go. It was thrilling. But above all, extremely intimidating. As much as she was looking forward to it, adrenaline burnt in her legs, and apprehension was knotting her stomach and chest.

She swallowed again as the doors opened. The spectators cheered, the team members exchanged excited smiles as the players in black entered the ice. Her breath almost trapped in her lungs, Minjoo clipped on her helmet and then, hitting the tip of her skate's blade against the foam floor several times, put on her second glove. Yena nudged her, Daehyeon and Jaehyuc hugged, Seohan exchanged words with Coach Oh and Coach Kwak, and the music blared as they waited for their turn to enter. Minjoo took one last deep breath, then ran through the narrow door of the rink's edge, her skates gliding quickly over the ice, already starting laps. They set up the first warm-up drill. Minjoo repeated Chaewon's words to herself, the funny cheerleading chant, her promises to be all over her on Monday, tell her your gf says hi and play your best and that be enough hockey girl, then she focused only on the puck, her stick, her skates and the goal. No time to think about anything else but speed, control, power and concentration. 

Just like every time, she didn't go in for the first face-off; Seohan, the main center, took care of that. He was more raw and quick to engage. This allowed Cocho to observe the game's set-up before bringing out his best element. Not the most versatile, as Minjoo couldn't provide consistency, but the fastest and best scorer. Leaning her elbows on her knee pads, Minjoo frowned as the players in black jersey took the lead, sending the puck into their neutral zone to pressure them early on. It was borderline fair play, by the way, to back up the game in the first few seconds rather than go on the offensive. Coach Kwak swore, and a few other players on the bench did the same. The Nippon Paper Cranes were already leading the game, and the reactions annoyed Minjoo. Preferring to concentrate solely on the game, she followed Yena's counter as she went into the neutral zone for the puck. Naturally, she retrieved it, then lost it until Daehyeon charged from his defence post, clearing a path for Yena to shoot. The goalie stopped it. The players on the bench gasped in frustration, but Minjoo smiled, proud of her best friend and her teammates' determination in the game.

After seven minutes and the score tied, Coach Oh put his hand on Minjoo's shoulder. Over all the protective gear, he gave her a little squeeze. She swallowed her saliva, grabbed her stick with both hands and took a deep breath. Seohan skated to the benches. The commentator announced the changes. Cocho pushed Minjoo's helmet and then her back before she high fived the other center, hastily stepping on the ice. For a split second, she observed the situation from a different perspective than the benches. The black jerseys were almost a wall, so they lacked a presence on the side. It was risky. Going along the edges meant fewer opportunities for stick-handling, passes and reduced shooting ranges, giving the defensemen some advantages. Coach Oh had mentioned this possibility, so Minjoo thought about countering these difficulties by keeping a distance and then passing behind the goal line. Risky, but it was necessary to open the score.

Ryujin and Chanwoo executed the face-off, the wingman hurrying to pass the puck to Minjoo before being bumped by a black jersey. There was no time to hesitate. Minjoo surprised everyone by skating at full speed to her right instead of straight for the goal. If she had been on the benches, she would have heard her teammates grumbling in confusion and seen Cocho smiling behind his fist. Surprising, wasn't it? Enough to distract the black defensemen who rushed to the right, pinning her against the border. But Minjoo wasn't the fastest and most agile for nothing, was she? The puck went past her back with a quick move. She turned around and dashed back into the middle without a single defenseman in her way. The Japanese goalie yelled something to his teammates but too late; he couldn't stop this first wrist shot.

The horn sounded, some spectators booed, others applauded the opening goal, and the goalie swore in frustration as the white jerseys jumped from the benches, Cocho bursting with enthusiasm. That was it; they were now leading the score. Minjoo didn't take the time to celebrate this first goal which still implied nothing to her. On the contrary, if the strategy of the black players was to keep a low points difference, they would have to score again. That was going to be tough. Once again, the puck remained in the neutral zone for a long time, with the Japanese players slowing the game down before attacking. Their fans were not silent, chanting for their club as the number eight and two wingers finally came forward. Fortunately, all the practices paid off. Minjoo couldn't help but smile when Daehyeon intercepted the puck, regaining possession.

Again Chanwoo, Ryujin, then the boy, and finally the center had the final pass, going quickly between the two defensemen. The Nippon Paper Cranes goalie intercepted the first shot, but Minjoo recovered the puck, and this time it went in. Jaehyuc energetically patted her helmet, the HTC bench clapped loudly, and the Japanese fans booed at the new goal.

The first period ended 2-0, but the second was more complicated. Seohan still scored a goal, but the Nippon Paper Cranes put two in to even the score. Sitting on the benches, nervously twirling her stick in her hands, Minjoo observed the game before returning to it. Cocho had predicted it; the opponents grew more harsh and intense. Indeed, Chanwoo went back to the benches after fighting with a black jersey and just now, Yena got terribly charged. Like the others, Minjoo swore when the referee didn't count the penalty, leaving her best friend to get up and get back into the game. If anything, it was more like a WWE show.

"God damn it," Coach Oh gritted his teeth as he watched the digital screen. He exchanged a few words with the coordinators, Kwak nodding while Son seemed resilient. Minjoo tried to listen, but another crash startled them as Jiung slammed into the plexiglass, a black jersey player retrieving the puck without regard to fair play. "God damn it!"

Black jerseys tied the game, 3-3, and immediately, despite the minutes remaining and the positions in play, Chocho hurriedly pushed Minjoo onto the rink, demanding a change for Yena. Minjoo quickly clapped her hand and heard her best friend struggling to breathe, probably from fatigue, the charge and the pressure. In the present circumstances, it was no longer tolerable. She enjoyed hockey because it was fun, a game of teamwork and respect, and obviously, a competition. But above all, sharing time and passion. This hockey she'd been playing since she was a kid, like no one else, in her own way, the way that might allow them to win. Hockey reunites players for each victory and defeat, between sweat and tears, in the winter's cold or the heat of early summer, playing fast or strategically. The sport where players don't hesitate to bump into each other as long as they help each other get up. The hockey that changed her life, making it sensational.

She was a lonely kid—and hated admitting it. Even in a progressive and open society, children, in particular, are always pointed out if they are somewhat different. Doksan, a traditional neighbourhood in Seoul's districts, had children playing everywhere. There were two schools and, most importantly, a big sports complex, which offered a wide range of sports for local children. Everyone knew each other a little, and Minjoo seemed to know no one but her older brother. They rode their bikes through the streets. He was dressed like a boy his age, and she was dressed the same. Minjoo and her backwards caps and overalls that didn't fit Minsung anymore. She was already reckless, even laughing after falling while biking—except when her mother scolded her for tearing her denim while cleaning her wound. It didn't mean anything at first. Kids don't immediately comprehend they're not like the others. However, Minjoo was smart. She soon realised that she and the other girls her age had little in common. When she started primary school, she ate lunch alone most of the time, hurrying up to join her brother in the big playground. Then they would ride their bikes and play hockey in the park near their house with plastic sticks and a tennis ball as a puck.

Minjoo and her family loved going to Minsung's Saturday afternoon hockey games. There were always a good vibe, music, food, action and most of all, passion for the fastest sport and the ice. Minjoo wanted to do that too. However, her parents signed her up for figure skating instead. Without exaggeration, it was hell. More used to biking, freestyle hockey on the concrete and football with Minsung's friends, Minjoo couldn't stand still. Literally, it wasn't working... no matter how much the coach yelled at her to just go backwards, she couldn't stand still. One day, her father took them to the rink for a public session and tried a different approach, 'Minjoo, skating is like riding a bike; the faster you go, the steadier you are', but nothing worked. That is until Minsung teasingly pushed her, and she started skating after him.

After two years, her father first revised his teaching methods, then gave in to the whim behind his wife's back, taking Minjoo to her first hockey session. Gone were the sequined dresses, the six other little girls who made fun of her tracksuits, the condescending coach who only minded her when her parents were around. Hello, black skates, protective gear, helmet, jersey and gloves. The boys on the team were intrigued—she was a cute girl with round cheeks and a shy smile, but one girl ran into her arms, thanking the heavens for sending her a friend. Already from the first practice, she was in her element, more so than she had ever been before. The boys were as annoying as ten-year-olds could be, Yena even more reckless than she was, and Minjoo was having so much fun. Soon, her coach saw a potential in her that he exploited outside their schedule, shooting and doing drills over and over until she scored five goals in her first game. As a child, she had a blast playing hockey.

When she entered middle school, she made some efforts, cut a bit of her hair like other girls, made some friends, got some pins on her bag and started talking to boys. Some of them already liked her, but she had never seen them as more than friends. Sometimes she wished her brother would talk to her at school too, and not just when they met to ride their bikes home. She much preferred his company to that of her so-called friends, and little by little, the girls she spent time with started to notice. Yena and the guys were all at the other school, anyway, farther up the block, and even though they met up three times a week, Minjoo was lonely. One spring day, she arrived at school with a backwards cap and left without it, wondering what was so funny about that. The girl who stole it from her had said, 'what are you, really?’ and the little hockey player had only tried to get it back once, giving up when other students approached to see what the fuss was about.

Minjoo didn't question it. Later, as she grew older, she thought that perhaps such scenes and teasing had been too frequent to be just a kid thing, but she preferred not to think about it. Young teenagers are stupid, and maybe she was also stupid sometimes. Still, in her second year, when a little brunette arrived from Busan, Minjoo realised that she had been alone until then, with no one to understand her. Or just someone to feel comfortable with. Yuri was like a hockey team of her own; energetic, always something to say, fast-talking, always enthusiastic, making her want to open up more, to discover another version of herself. 

As she grew up with her team, spending more time with them, she comprehended other things. One of the guys liked her, but strangely enough, it didn't affect her. She appreciated him; they got along well, but... something was different again. At one time when some skaters were practising on the ice before their practice, Minjoo found herself looking at them the same way her teammates did. She noticed one, in particular, a petite, dark-haired girl. Juhwan poked her in the ribs, telling her he'd seen her first, and Minjoo had rolled her eyes and said he was being silly, but she hadn't taken her eyes off her. Worse, she thought about her until the next practice, wondering if it was normal wanting to be friends with Seo Minah so much, to think she was good-looking like the boys thought she was, to imagine things.

Then came Yuri's birthday party in Busan, a game and dares. The others did it without any bother, so why was she so nervous? Why was she asking herself so many questions? It landed on her, then on Yuri. That answered all her questions. A few days later, she confessed to her—not how her heart hadn't slowed down ever since and how it often did when they were together, but rather her confusion, then Minah, then those kisses and her crush on Eunseo from WJSN. The girl had laughed, petting the grey cat that had been snuggling between them on the bed, saying she had noticed already. It wasn't reciprocal— both of them agreed on forgetting this embarrassing detail, considering it as a federal secret, but it made Minjoo finally come to terms with herself. Confident enough about it, she made her first comment about the skaters, and the team laughed the same way Yuri did, as if they already knew too.

Coming back to hockey; it changed her life. She found friends there—even if they had fun giving her the eyes and nudging her towards Seo Minah so much it became embarrassing, maybe not confidants, but people who were there whenever she needed them. A real team. Minjoo celebrated her birthday for the first time since she was eight years old when no one had come despite invitations, inviting the whole team, Yuri and even a few people from her class she befriended as she gained confidence. Hockey was about sharing. Tears and laughter. Lots of laughter, warm and hard times, an escape from loneliness. Her coach, Juhwan's father, took her out of her comfort zone. He kept yelling at her, then telling her that he wanted her to use and discover everything she was capable of. And it worked—at sixteen, Minjoo was the best female player in Seoul and the lead scorer in their play-offs category. Yet she never got ahead of herself. Hockey was also about valuing the team over yourself. For sure, Minjoo scored and led the game, but she would be nothing without her teammates.

Hockey is also about building confidence. It's about believing that you are capable, talented and determined enough to achieve anything, to assert yourself. Minjoo grew her hair even longer, cut bangs that she adjusted under caps, no longer tucked her shirt perfectly into her skirt, held people's gaze and walked as she knew she made heads turn. After a win, encouraged by the boys, she even asked Seo Minah what she'd get for scoring eight points—Juhwan asked her out that same night, and Minah said yes, but that's a whole other point—and she got a kiss from her first crush. Who would've thought? Crazy are the things confidence or a little boldness can do. She was spotted by the HTC the following season, like Yena. Now here she was, with them and her talent, her love for the sport and her desire to prove how great things could happen if they were given a chance.

The puck was placed on the left face-off. Seohan positioned himself opposite the Nippon Paper Cranes center. Technically, they weren't exactly in the clear with two centers playing. Coach Oh was daring, playing audacious—knowing he could make Minjoo a wing if anything. On one hand, he was increasing the chances of scoring on a high-powered offence, while on the other, he was risking losing both through fatigue or destabilisation. Minjoo glanced towards the benches, seeing Yena drinking, and Coach Oh nervously scratching his beard of three days. It was time to assert themselves. The Japanese players exchanged instructions, but Seohan remained silent, making a gesture that only Minjoo and Jiung could understand at that moment. She nodded, hit her stick against the ice and sprinted towards the goal as Seohan retrieved the puck. Accelerating just in time, she dodged a defenseman, surprised that he kept following her rather than the puck, and that was the end of the offensive, with the black jerseys taking over. That concluded the second period, leaving only one more to hope to win.

Emptying half her bottle, the refreshing water contrasting with the icy cold air over the ice and the heat of her body made her dizzy. Out of breath from the defenseman who kept tailing her, Minjoo struggled to recover her breath, frustration and anger knotting . Coach Oh was more upset about the predictable turn of the game rather than his players, but they endured his frustration. He took Seohan out, changed Yena to Chanwoo and demanded direct forwards. He didn't care why, how, or what happened; the goal was to strike and shoot. ‘Play on Minjoo and the wings, play forward and if you have to hit harder, do it, damn it!’ The horn sounded, and the crowd cheered as both teams entered the rink. Minjoo took a nervous breath and performed the face-off she lost to the opposing center. Fortunately, Intak stopped the shot.

Minjoo loved hockey, and if the opposing players played it their way, she'd do the same. Cocho had told her; it's a team game, but if you have to be a team of your own to win, do it. Attacking with passes wasn't working, so she put her cap on backwards, seized the puck like a tennis ball and sped across the ice alone, passing all the defensemen one by one with skills she usually only used while playing around. She thought of her parents, Minsung, her sister, who must have been so proud, and she was going to give them another reason to be. She scored, the audience booing, the goalie in the black jersey throwing his stick in frustration. Their coach shouted from the benches something like, 'What the hell! It's a girl! She's alone! How is that possible?' But yes, this girl was doing wonders. Minjoo was running on the ice, faster than speed skaters, more agile than any other players at turning and stopping, handling the stick and puck with style and practicality. She was the gem that just made them lead the score again.

But this had consequences. Even more than in the previous period, a Nippon Paper Cranes defenseman was sticking to her. He was blocking all passes to her, making the game what it shouldn't be in hockey. Coach Oh yelled at the referee, but they just shrugged; it wasn't fair play, but it wasn't against the rules.

Minjoo needed to find other solutions, constantly being pushed out of the game. Either she stayed in the offensive zone, or she went straight back down to get the puck and come up with it towards the Nippon Cranes' goal. This was one solution, but she also risked losing it and thus wasting the team's time. As the defensemen played in their zone, she exhaled sharply, hands resting on her legs to get some support, leaning forward to ease the pain in her abdomen. At least, the defenseman sticking to her looked exhausted too, if not even more. She could use that. Taking advantage of the face-off to get to her defensive zone and receive the pass from Chanwoo who looked relieved. Moving up the blue line, she didn't see her defenseman. No, she brutally felt the one who had just replaced him and charged her. The impact hurled her away, sliding one the ice, breathless from the shock and the fall. The audience reacted too, biassed but still taken aback by the violent gesture. Coach Oh yelled, and the referee finally whistled a penalty, sending the guy to the penalty box.

It had to happen at some point. Minjoo consoled herself by accepting one of the black jersey's hand. She swallowed the lump in , eyes tingling and breath fastening, nodding as Jiung and others approached to return her stick and ask if she was okay. Sensing she wasn't, Cocho called her to the benches. Seohan patted her helmet to express his affection as he entered the rink, which made the lump in grow bigger. Sitting on the bench, she removed her helmet, tears starting to fall, although she tried to stop them. Yena came closer, already rid of her helmet and gloves since she wasn't going back into the game for the same reason. That was too many emotions for her body at this point, getting shoved into by a defenseman just being the catalyst, but she'd better calm down if she hoped to make it back for the last five minutes.

"Breath in," Cocho intimated in a stern but concerned tone, his gaze directed at the game as it resumed. "Breathe in, breathe out."

"Think about your cheerleader!" Yena tried lifting her mood, her back, and Minjoo giggled between two sobs, wiping away her tears as quickly as possible. "What she said again, go Minjoo, go Minjoo, right? Go, Minjoo!"

Minjoo nodded, her breath ragged, her chest vibrating with the rhythm of her choked sobs, struggling to regain her breath. Yena was right tough, and she smiled again, nodding to herself. She knew this game would be complicated, and she even expected worse. They waited until the last period to engage in some vicious hockey. She was taken aback, feeling a little confused by how harsh he'd been towards her. Anyone could play hockey, and sports in general, with anyone, but he could’ve held back a little knowing she was half his weight and height. But it wasn't the first time something like this happened either, and she wasn't made of sugar, so Minjoo focused on her breathing to bring the pressure down. For the effort of making up a cheerleading routine and performing it in the dorm hallways with her best friends, she could give Chaewon another goal. And for the team, Cocho, her parents, her brother...anyone who believed in her recklessness when it comes to shooting shots.

There were three minutes left and the score was 3-3. The place in finale would be for the team with the best previous games' scores, the Nippon Paper Cranes successfully keeping the game tied, preventing goals. Seohan went out and Minjoo in, even more determined. Really pushing herself, the go Minjoo, go Minjoo ringing in her ears over the chants and boos of the Nippon’s supporters, she dodged a defenseman's stick, going behind the blue line, barely in, but the puck hit the metal, going into the net. Maybe she screamed under her helmet. Or she just thanked whatever miracle that was. They were winning. Her teammates jumped on the benches, Cocho threw his whiteboard to the floor, and the white jerseys cheered from their position. 4-3 to HTC, less than two minutes to go.

The Nippon Paper Cranes hadn't always been fair players, so Jaehyuc didn't mind committing a severe penalty and ending up on the box. And then they stayed in the neutral zone until Minjoo got the puck, skating towards the goal, only to be charged again by a black defenseman. She slammed into the plexiglass, her helmet taking the brunt of the impact, making her head spin slightly. Perhaps stunned by the emotions, she smiled when Daehyeon deliberately pushed the black jersey player, as was allowed in hockey. Because if she didn't play it with her brother anymore, Minjoo found a team of guys willing to go to the penalty box for the last thirty seconds to defend her. They didn't score any more points, but the victory was beautiful enough when all those on the benches came celebrating on the ice. 

The athletes' mindset is part of the beauty of sports. They all came from different places, cultures and backgrounds. They were all opponents only when they were playing against each other. Otherwise, they were nothing but people with the same passion, the same desire to win. Minjoo didn't mind having her ponytail completely messed up, lining up to shake the opposing players' hands. Her glowing cheek from the helmet's impact hurt, but she smiled anyway when the player she'd passed in the corridors before the game gave her a thumbs up, asking if she was okay. And then she smiled even wider when the large defenseman who'd been out after shoving her grabbed her hand, saying, 'Sorry! Okay?' She nodded, and he grinned 'you're good! Too fast, really good!' before slapping Chanwoo's hand. Minjoo loved this sport more than anything, and she was immensely proud of herself.

-

Back home, after spending the morning and early afternoon visiting Kushiro, shopping and eating in a great restaurant, she collapsed on her bed. Her new pair of skates had been waiting on her desk for two weeks, but she didn't even have the strength to get up and unpack them. Minjoo slept until it was time for the meal prepared to congratulate her. She enjoyed it between Minsung and Namjoo, shaking her head in embarrassment when her parents started singing and clapping their hands. And as she was finally about to discover her belated birthday present worth a rent, her heart missed a beat, accepting Chaewon's incoming video call.

It wasn't the first time they called each other an evening, but this time was cuter. For once, Chaewon called first. They unpacked the skates and talked until the hockey player fell asleep, lulled by the skater's voice telling everything on her mind. And, of course, they flirted a lot, feeling giddy as their relationship evolved again. They both couldn't wait to meet again in school, knowing something would somehow make that girlfriends thingy somewhat official.

-

They were cowards, absolute cowards for saying all those things yet running away from each other as soon as they were in the same place. In the morning, perfumed and hair done like never before, Minjoo almost giggled when Chaewon only smiled and wiggled her eyebrows at her from afar as the national figure skaters vacated the cafeteria. After all, she was right to about how she would never dare. Chaewon only responded with 'i was in a rush🙄', so when, at lunch break, Minjoo managed to skip the entire line until she was behind her, she said in her ear, "are you still in a rush?"

The skater gasped before slapping her shoulder, rolling her eyes—just like in her texts, "could make some time for you right now. Take me an apple, please."

"Yes, m'lady," Minjoo obeyed, sacrificing her own dessert to allow her ice princess to have both fruit and yoghurt. This was love, sacrifice and give and take, and how could she even refuse her anything? She checked her out from her oversized cargo tracksuit pants and tight cropped shirt under the centre's figure skaters' white vest. Her long, straight pink hair fell on her shoulders, another golden chain around her neck, two brilliant rings around her finger, light makeup on her eyes and her glossy lip balm. She looked so lovely that Minjoo melted on the spot, and she couldn't help but let her thoughts spill, "you're like, so pretty, I-okay, when are you dying your hair?"

"Maybe next week," Chaewon smiled, her cheeks flushed even though she pretended not to react to the compliment. She straightened up properly, appearing taller, almost the same height. Minjoo insisted as she tilted her head, forcing the other to elaborate. "Next week, you're coming with me, right?"

"Yep," Minjoo smiled. "When?"

"Saturday," Chaewon clarified, sliding her metal tray across the tracks, frowning and grumbling as people in front of them did not move fast enough to her liking. Things not going her way were amusing to witness when Minjoo wasn't the things.

"What hour?" As the months-older girl suppressed a smile, surely amused by so many questions, Minjoo shrugged. "So I can plan our first date out."

"At 4." The hockey player did a little something with her eyebrows. Chaewon rolled her eyes, bit her tongue and looked away, hiding her own smile. But Minjoo knew better, and she bumped their shoulders, pushing their trays. There were many people there for lunch yet not a single one of her friends. They were at the gym session that she was now excused, Coach Oh having noticed how exhausted she was. Consequently, the strategy was simple; find Chaewon and sneak at her table rather than eat alone. That was audacious, but it seemed to work as Hyunjin and Jimin greeted and praised her on the game. And besides, Minjoo's body warmed when she noticed the way Chaewon was smiling proudly and fondly, her two best friends chatting with, most likely, her first—and last, hopefully, girlfriend.

But as they finally approached the main dishes, two tall guys appeared, stepping between Chaewon and Minjoo, smiling at the latter.

"Kim Minnnjoo," Taeho called her like a sports commentator would, holding out his palm. "Haneulae's MVP! Give me five!"

Oh, . Minjoo almost blushed in embarrassment, high fiving the N2's captain she hadn't spoken to in several weeks. And for a good reason! He'd gone from being her example to the one she envied and despised for having dated her crush. The said crush stepped away, the presence of the other guy probably making her uncomfortable. Kitae or whoever it was that gave her a reputation for dating him after dating Taeho. Funny how his behaviour and sense of friendship didn't count in the equation; he was the one who had hit on his best friend's ex, after all—but he was a popular guy, so it didn't count. Minjoo only minded Taeho anyway.

"That was so, so cool," he said, passing a hand through his hair, making him look exactly like Dean. "Even our coach told us about it. I was like, damn, can't wait for her to be N2's center."

"Wait." It sounded too good to be true. "What?"

"Heard me," Son Taeho nodded, walking on the line with them, dressed in the centre's tracksuit. "I'm possibly going to the professional league so... Coaches are still talking about it, but yeah. If you go N2, you'd be the only center. Where's the others? You eating alone?"

"Oh my God, that's so cool," too much good news to process, so she kept it down instead of jumping everywhere. More importantly, right now, she looked out for Chaewon's gaze, understanding her head gesture and finally nodded to Taeho. "Yeah, actually."

"Ok nice," the N2 captain smiled. "Let's talk more then, It’s been a long! We on the first floor by the windows. Hi Chaewon, what’s up?”

"Hi," she somply answered, finally included in the conversation that was taking place around her without anyone addressing her yet. Well, it was her ex, her ex, and her almost girlfriend, understandable, but still, it was awkward. "Good for you."

"Thanks!" Taeho teasingly pushed her head, and she simply grumbled, directing her attention back to the dishes even though she hadn't even deigned to turn her head to speak to them in the first place. "Se-"

"You're friends with her?" Minjoo and Chaewon reacted the same way when Kitae spoke disdainfully, pointing at the skater, addressing the hockey player for the first time in their life as if they had always been best friends. Besides, how he talked about her was utterly inappropriate considering what happened between them, especially since he had no business interfering with hers—Minjoo clenched her jaw.

"Get the off," Chaewon didn't hesitate for a second before swearing, giving him a look so icy it would have frozen anyone in terror. But surely not enough for this cliche school athlete that looked down at her, hands in his pockets.

"You shut up," Kitae retorted, not caring about Taeho's hand urging him to leave. Minjoo was about to say something, but Chaewon was quicker.

"Don't tell me to shut up when you're still making fake accounts to talk to me," she replied calmly, and even Hyunjin chuckled as she grabbed her plate, seemingly unbothered. Minjoo wanted to, too, and maybe stick her tongue at the boy who was now hiding his flattering ego behind a smile, taunting him for begging for Chaewon's attention while she had it all to herself—Chaewon had already shown her all the blocked accounts. But she was more mature, so she stayed quiet until the two hockey players walked away, Taeho waving at her before slapping his best friend’s shoulder. Chaewon regained her attention. "Ugh."

"Sorry," she apologised sincerely, but Chaewon shrugged.

"Don't. That's literally so good for you what the . You're gonna say yes now?" She inquired, waiting so they could leave the entrance together.

"I guess," Minjoo joined her, holding her tray in one hand, the second one coming to rest on the skater's lower back as they walked towards the cafeteria doors. "See you before practice?"

"No," Chaewon replied. Obviously, yes, they would.

That was the last chance to do a little something before entering the cafeteria for all to see and leaving her after the little change in her not-eating-alone plan. Minjoo squeezed her waist a little tighter, coming close to her ear, raising a teasing brow, "you're kinda hot when you're pissed off by the way."

She let her fingers glide over the skin of her back, then over her hip before pulling away. Glancing over her shoulder, she saw the skater biting her lip, staring playfully at her before she joined her friends. Oh, they really couldn't wait to be alone at the rink.

-

Fortunately, those tears during the match and a good discussion with Cocho on the plane home allowed them to find some compromises. To start with, a one-week gym exemption, adjusting the rest after the appointment with the physiotherapist. Tired from the practice but not as exhausted as the previous times, Minjoo sat on the bleachers. As usual, of course, wearing sweatpants, a long-sleeved thermal shirt, and a Vegas Golden Knights lacer hoodie—Chaewon was too used to it to make an effort with her clothes in the evening. Music in her ears, the hockey player watched absently as the Zamboni passed over the rink where Jimin was working on her jumps earlier. It was a little warmer than usual with spring and flowers blooming, and she unwillingly removed her hoodie, spreading her legs a little wider. Luckily Viderski was too busy preparing for competitions to scroll around the rink and tell her to sit like a lady.

The swinging door opened. Instantly, even without realising it, Minjoo held her breath. Her heart raced with anticipation and nervousness, though it certainly didn't show. A bit like going to bed on Christmas Eve knowing she'd wake up with presents under the tree or celebrating a win after a tough but good game. Yeah, basically, their relationship was about to take a turn in the next hour and a half—if one of them made the move, Minjoo could feel it in every part of her body. Chaewon too, apparently. She squealed, hiding her face, pretending to turn around as soon as their eyes met and their hearts missed a bit. It was rare for her to drop the facade of indifference, so Minjoo could expect to be humbled by a nonchalant skater very soon, but for now, it was too exquisite.

"What?" She asked, swallowing a laugh as Chaewon turned her back. “Come here.”

"Just one second," she replied, and Minjoo noticed she took a deep breath before facing her, raising an eyebrow playfully. "You're so obsessed with me."

"Says who," Minjoo rolled her eyes. Chaewon approached and casually sat on her lap, dropping her bag to the floor. Minjoo barely held back a gasp, her already short breath catching in as the skater bent down to grab her skates. With an incredulous smile on her lips, but not so surprised, Chaewon respecting her 'i'm gonna be all over you' promise, Minjoo held her waist, her heart racing. "Oh, we going on ice?"

"Yeah?" the skater glanced at her, then began lacing her white skates. "You need to show me your new Ribcor something."

"You're gonna be so impressed," Minjoo said, her hand resting more comfortably against the skater's belly, feeling the contractions as she pulled on her laces. "They go like ffshhhh."

Emphasising her words, the hockey player shook her knees, the skater chuckling, shaking. "Woah, woah, this fast?"

"Hmhm," Minjoo nodded, then in an almost instinctive gesture, she wrapped her other arm around Chaewon who giggled. Talk about who was all over who now. But it was too tempting. Chaewon smelled too good and was only wearing a cropped short-sleeved t-shirt. Her skin was too hot, and her hair too fragrant with nourishing oils not to want to lose herself in it forever. Good thing no one was left in the rink—Teddy wouldn't care about that anyway. "Hmmhmm."

The skater straightened up once her skates were laced up, looking nonchalant, her cheeks tinged pink. She held Minjoo's gaze, then put her arms around her neck. Coming closer, she smiled, lifting a brow, tilting her head, "hmm?"

And Minjoo nodded, her nose bumping into Chaewon's before she closed the gap in a peck, then a second that lasted a little longer. But she wanted more now. More than just lightly her lips and parting away. However, Chaewon knew too well how to play, and she stood up, impatiently crossing her arms, "so? Put on your super fast skates."

"Alright," Minjoo closed her eyes, hiding how flustered she was by the two pecks she initiated and how she still wanted more, to taste and feel more. She shot her a challenging glance, grasping her bag. "You're a coward, Kim Chaewon."

"Says who," Chaewon smiled back, challenging too. "Kim Minjoo."

Her new skates were neatly tucked, well wiped, dapper and shiny. Having them on during practice, they did amazing, extremely worth their reputation. Unpacking them at home, she'd explained to Chaewon the Ribcor technology of her CCM Ribcor 100k pro skates, which optimised stability, agility and dynamic movement—the skater even asked about the blade, making Minjoo think she could say I love you. She put them on, quickly tying the laces her good old way to join her on the ice faster.

As in the old days, they had the rink to themselves. The expansive wet white ice reflected the few spotlights, ricocheting off the plexiglass walls. The multi-sided screen showed only the late hour and the date, with sponsors scrolling across the bottom board. The white tiger of Haneulae, roaring in a light and dark blue circle, stood proudly in the middle of the ice, in the centre of the engagement face-off, and Chaewon tango stopped on it, her white skates between the two eyes of the centre mascot.

"We'll be away for championships because of that ugly thing," she remarked.

"Because you're performing?" Minjoo defended the emblem she wore proudly on her jersey, ruffling the skater's hair, making sure she knew it was a joke.

Chaewon pushed her hand away, rolling her eyes, "y'all are ruining our ice in every possible way."

"How?" The hockey player raised an eyebrow, scraping the blade of her new skate across the fresh ice, already forming an imperfection there. "Like this?"

"Minjoo, no!" Too late, the damage was done, so she turned around, sliding away with elegance and restraint. Like the skater she was, capricious and arrogant. "Don't asress me anymore."

And Minjoo liked it. Oh, she absolutely loved that Chaewon was so irritating sometimes that being in her presence was addictive. Her strong ice princess aura, implacable rigidity and intolerance to the slightest thing wrong made every moment spent with her a challenge that Minjoo loved to take. And, as she proved with Hyunjing, Daehyeon and Kitae, Chaewon wouldn't let anyone step on her toes. She stood up to the toughest, had the last word with the bossiest, seemed never amused and extremely cold, and yet with Minjoo, she was none of these things. No, Chaewon let Minjoo , ruin the ice without doing anything more than a playful glare, and she looked at Minjoo all the time while she never minded other people around. That and many other things... yeah, Minjoo walked every bumpy road to Chaewon's soft spot, and she wasn't taking it for granted.

Biting a smile, she caught up to her, tried a spin, and nearly fell, but Chaewon didn't crack a smile, keeping her arms crossed. Okay, the road was really bumpy. "Wait, I didn't warm up."

"It's a spin," Chaewon put her terrible teacher's cap back on. "Just...spin..."

"Yes, I know, thank you," the hockey player replied as she took a swing, doing a single spin. "An Axel is a jump. Just…jump and turn three times, five, six times even if you want."

Chaewon scoffed, "well, show me."

"What?" Minjoo stopped spinning, her head continuing as she tried steadying herself against the skater. "An Axel?"

"Yeah," the pink-haired girl finally smiled, her arms still crossed, playful. "Spin five, six times, see what happens."

"Easy," she shrugged. Minjoo was so clueless about synergistic physics and so confident in her ability to just do things and succeed she'd be able to do something that physically wasn't possible just for Kim Chaewon's pretty eyes. But common sense returned, and she imitated the latter, crossing her arms against her chest. "And why don't you show me since you're so good?"

Chaewon observed her for a moment, then grinned again. This one, this smile she was always quick to hide, Minjoo especially loved because it showed how she couldn't resist her.

With Minjoo, the skater allowed herself to drop the shell of unapproachability, being herself. She turned around in take off position, spun maybe seven or eight times on the ice, her hair diffusing her perfume, then jumped and waved, "Axel."

The awaited applause came in unimpressed slow motion, so Chaewon grabbed both of Minjoo's hands to clap them faster. For a moment, in between laughs, their eyes got lost in each other. Minjoo wanted to close the distance, as she'd been dreaming of doing for days—weeks, but she didn’t dare yet, and after glancing down, Chaewon pulled away, smirking, "What?"

"You know you're really easy to read?" Chaewon said, getting taller on her toe picks, then going back down several times, squinting analytically.

Minjoo kind of knew that, but for someone who liked the idea of being mysterious, it was hard to consider. "Am I?"

"Yeah," the pink-haired girl came closer. "I can see every emotion on your face... It's cute. Like...you're always raising your eyebrows when you're nervous or surprised."

"Habit." Minjoo realised she'd just done that, and Chaewon chuckled, pointing at her. Then she moved a little closer again, tilting her head. Minjoo hoped a fluttering heart and snowflakes waltzing in her lungs wouldn't show on her face. "What?"

"Are you nervous?" Chaewon asked in a soft voice, as honeyed as it was genuinely curious. Minjoo was about to deny it, but the skater beat her to do it, coming even closer, "Do I make you nervous?"

She could have lied, assured her that it was just a tic and had nothing to do with the fact that they were so close, that she was so pretty and intimidating. Only, Chaewon grabbed her necklace around Minjoo's neck, playing with the angel locket, her gaze slowly going from it to Minjoo's eyes, and she smiled once more, softly, knowing. Minjoo shrugged, unable to look away even if she tried. "Don't know."

"You make me nervous," the skater admitted, dropping the necklace. "You never noticed?"

"Not really." Minjoo wasn't really observant. Come to think of it; she knew she missed a lot of Chaewon's hints. The fact that she was more intuitive than pragmatic and that Chaewon hid her emotions so well did not mix well for this one. But then... "I make you nervous for real? Like...how?"

"Oh, uhm," Chaewon seemed amused, standing still. "Sometimes I was even scared you'd notice because I guessed you were feeling the same."

"I didn't, and yeah, I was," Minioo smiled as she remembered the !!! in her heart just by seeing Chaewon in the hallways without daring to smile at her, how she hesitated to hold her hand while practicing, how she was unable to look her in the eyes. These things still made her nervous, but the painful, anxious butterflies had metamorphosed into soft snowflakes, her belly only getting comfortably warm. "You knew I-kinda... had a crush on you?"

"I was confused," Chaewon recalled. She shivered a little, the ice's coldness hitting her bare skin as she wasn't wearing the vest. "I mean, it was sooo obvious...but you didn't approach me or anything at first... figured out you were shy and made the first move. Thanks who? Thank you, Chaewon."

"Thank you nothing, Chaewon. I'm not shy," Minjoo shook her head. "It's just that I'm an old engine. I need a kick to start."

Chaewon remained silent for a moment, examining her so closely that Minjoo wanted to close the book that seemed so easy for the skater to read. At the same time, Minjoo tried to decipher something in Chewon's eyes, behind their sweet brown colour often hidden by clouds, but not this time. Unconsciously, she mirrored her position, looking attentive but not naive. Chaewon's gaze flicked to her lips again before she spoke, slowly nodding her head, "so... you don't play until your Coach tells you to? And if there's no reason for you to, I don't know, do something, you won't do it?"

"It's not like that," Minjoo said. Now that Chaewon was pointing that out, she thought about it. It was clearly not the time, but she was too dense to realize it, which made Chaewon smile gently. Searching for her words, Minjoo didn't notice the skater was waiting for her to make another move. "It's more like... I know I can do things, but I need a backup, you know?" Chaewon nodded. "Imagine I want to try a trick during a game... if I do it and lose the puck then It's my fault? But if Cocho says yes, then it's only half my fault? And like, if I know I could d-"

"Minjoo?" Chaewon interrupted, and Minjoo raised an eyebrow. "What are you waiting for? Ask me out, kiss me, do whatever you want."

The words resonated in Minjoo like an explosive. Not in a devastating way, or only to the rambling thoughts that kept her from acting, even if she denied it. A shiver from her heart to her head lightened up everything, giving her the final push she needed to do what they had been waiting for too long. She grinned, her skates sliding closer to Chaewon. It could be seen all over her eyes. Minjoo should've gone closer earlier because the book was hidden in them, behind the brown feline eyes, the clouds and the coldness.

Her cold hand came to rest Chaewon's warm cheek, the sensation of warmth running up her arm in a shiver, hitting her heart hard. She added the second, closer to her ear, brushing an earring with her thumb, her fingers slipping under her pink locks. Her neck was burning, and Chaewon smiled one last time, her gaze more intense than ever before Minjoo pulled her, closing her eyes as she kissed her. She felt them, glossy lips between her own. She felt them and tasted them again, not detaching hers. She pulled her even closer, the pink-haired girl sweetly kissing her back, her hand coming to her waist. The explosion of sensations made her dizzy. Her legs quivered, her heart drummed against her rib cage, and her belly flipped painfully, so painfully that she smiled, keeping her lips between hers.

Chaewon backed away, eyes glinting, cheeks red, something sublime in her gaze. But she was still Kim Chaewon and she started skating away, Minjoo going after her.

As romantic as it could be, it wasn't.

"They aren't that fast!" Chaewon taunted, far ahead of her, laughing.

Minjoo wondered since when was the figure skater skating so fast? No, because at the moment, even her new Ribcors couldn't catch up with her—her legs were still unsteady from the kiss, and maybe it was more entertaining to not reach the skater yet. Nevertheless, when she wanted to, Chaewon knew how to be quick on her white skates. She turned suddenly, thinking she was going to lose the hockey player. Minjoo captured her, bringing her closer. The skater struggled, laughing, and then managed to escape, speeding in the other direction. Minjoo sighed but went after her anyway.

"Ha!" The pink-haired girl stopped at a safe distance, recovering her breath. "Oh my God, I get why you're tired."

"See!" Minjoo laughed in honour of all the times Chaewon told her that skating behind a piece of plastic nicknamed biscuit with a ton of protection wasn't the extreme sport she made it to be. Besides, Minjoo said that doing jumpy jumps and spinning wasn't particularly complicated either. "Hold on, why are you even doing this, Miss hater?"

"Because sorry I lied a little," the skater shrugged, proudly looking down at her. "I do, in fact, want you to chase after me."

"Knew it was too easy," the hockey player sighed, though amused. She liked her for that. For these whims and moods. "Since you notice everything, you do realise I'm not even trying to be fast?"

Chaewon shook her head, "heard she was fast once and now thinks she's a rocket."

"If I catch yo-"

The skater cut her off, "try."

Back at it again. The girls began skating quickly across the ice, Chaewon giggling more and more nervously, feeling Minjoo at her back, ready to grasp her at any moment. After a feint, she escaped, regaining her lead. It was cold. The wind from the speed hit their faces so hard that Minjoo had tears in her eyes, doing a running crossover to catch the skater in the corner, feeling the hard ice under her skate. Chaewon gasped, out of breath, but as she tried to make a sharp U-turn, her toe picks struck the ice. She slammed flat on her stomach with a loud crash that echoed around the rink. 

The figure skater wasn't laughing anymore. Minjoo stopped abruptly at the side then hurried to crouch. But Chaewon turned around, lying tragically on her back, and her dramatic fake cries triggered the hockey player's laughter.

"Shut up! That's your fault," the skater whined, pathetically laying on the ice. "It's not funny, off."

"Be careful with your toe picks," Minjoo laughed, using the phrase that sounded condescending all the times Chaewon had said it to her, not always helping her get up. Ah, the roles really do always reverse. She extended a hand that Chaewon grabbed even more dramatically. "You should find gloves, skater girl."

"Ha ha ha," skater girl glared, each ha deeper and less amused, wiping her sore hands on her wet leggings. "Woah, can't believe you actually pushed me and tried to kill me."

Minjoo burst out laughing. Chaewon was actually one of a kind. Everything she said sounded awfully unseriously serious. That was so funny she pulled her against her, hugging her tight, "I'm sorry I failed another attempt."

"It's not funny," the pink-haired girl whined again. Still in Minjoo's arms, she pulled down her leggings' elastic band, revealing a reddish streak that would surely turn purple in a few days. As much as the hockey player could have lost her mind, discovering skin she had never seen before, what she felt more was concern. Having experienced it before, and given how fast they were skating, she knew how painful the fall had been. "I'm feeling dizzy and nauseous. Call me an ambulance."

"You're gonna be okay, an ambulance," Minjoo tried to look serious, anticipating the slap on her chest that actually came. She was getting to know her too well by now. "Stay with me. Can you see me? How many fingers? What did you eat yesterday?"

"I..." Chaewon dramatically slumped into her arms. "I'm getting weak... Great Heavens..."

Minjoo laughed once more. She guessed Chaewon had a reason to create a diversion, so she asked permission with a glance before slipping her hand into the skater's leggings. They both shuddered at the touch, the skater slightly widening her eyes, straightening up a little, but Minjoo still managed to find the spot that hit the ice. Her hand was probably cold, but Minsung used to do that to her every time she fell and he didn't want their parents to know. She gently covered the sore spot, applying light pressure that relieved the burning sensation. Chaewon winced at first but eventually relaxed, shyly smiling after her gaze dropped to the hockey player's hand under her leggings' waistband, "You should take my place at a med school."

"You know how good I am in science," Minjoo cocked an eyebrow—playful, not nervous, she remarked. "I'm not going to save lives. I'm gonna make them worse."

"Right," the skater rolled her eyes, giggling in turn. "I forgot that you literally just deliberately pushed me."

"It hurts?" she asked, her cold hand appeasing the girl's hip bone.

"Kinda," the skater shrugged, looking elsewhere. Not unexpectedly, she would never fully admit it, like during that practice where she fell dozens of times, so hard she couldn't get up, tears betraying her pain and frustration. "No, It's fine."

Minjoo adored her. She adored Chaewon so much she wanted to be everything she'd never had before, so she rushed to the bleachers, going through the door to grab her NHL lacer hoodie. 

"Here." She held it out. Chaewon stared at the outfit, then at her, with disdain. "What?"

"I am not wearing this," the skater crossed her arms against her chest, and Minjoo noticed she had goosebumps. Well, she was wearing a crop top in an ice rink after spending several seconds lying on the nearly liquid ice...

"Oh, you're so annoying," Minjoo sighed, putting the hoodie collar around the skater's head despite her fighting against it. She laughed, even more, when Chaewon glared at her with messy bangs. "Cute."

"I hate you," she relented, pulling on the sleeves of the black hoodie. "What did I do to deserve this? Am I a bad kisser?"

"I don't really remember," Minjoo teased, pretending to think back. "Let's check."

Only, Chaewon slipped out of her touch again, amusing herself by flapping the sleeves of the hoodie that was too big for her—Minjoo liked them oversized. She was adorable. Irritatingly adorable, even as she fervently shook her head, "never happening again, you're a menace."

And there it was. The smiles, the colour of Chaewon's cheeks and the sparkle in her eyes said enough. Minjoo understood it was time for the skater to return to her comfort zone. She didn't mind. On the contrary, if Chaewon could open up, it was also her right to distance as long as it was fair. After all, it was new to her and perhaps a risk to finally take the plunge, to make their ambiguity, attraction and feelings into something. Besides, she was right; most of the progress was on her initiative, and now Minjoo had the green light for everything else.

Nevermind, Chaewon took her hand, almost surprisingly delicately, slipping her fingers between hers, flashing her a glance before starting to skate.

Slowly, holding hands, they began skating around the rink as they did numerous times before. There were only about ten minutes left before Hyunjin and the coaches might arrive, so they took advantage of the dark rink in the late evening's quietness. Only three more spotlights lit up the ice surface. One in the centre, then one on each side, creating some shadows. When Chaewon passed through those, the sparkles in her eyes shined bright like orbs in the gloom, while as soon as the blue halo returned to colour her skin, she appeared heavenly soft. Their fingers warmed, a little covered by the Vegas Golden Knights lacer hoodie's sleeve, Minjoo softly caressing Chaewon's as they remained quiet, enjoying the moment.

Elegant, delicate as the champion figure skater she was, Chaewon spun and tuned to a rhythm she had in mind. With as much lightness as technique, she swizzled, Minjoo's hand over her head, never letting go of it. She smiled again, moved aside as they came under a spotlight.

"Do I look like a hockey player?" She asked, changing her posture and skating backwards on her feet, bending over just as Minjoo did in the first session—Eunbi had told her to do the same thing gracefully, and now she could see why.

"Wouldn't last a minute, but yes," Minjoo answered honestly, probably looking at the new hockey player with two big heart eyes. No matter what she did, she was always lovely. "Looks good on you."

"Because it's yours," Chaewon rolled her eyes, then ran a hand through her hair, pushing her bangs away. "Kim Chaewon, number ten, gets the puck." Déja vu, perhaps, as she began to skate around Minjoo, giving her looks and smiles, miming a stick and puck that she controlled perfectly well—in their imagination. "Behind her back, then she passes it and gets it back," she made a half turn, then slowed down behind Minjoo's back, "She's coming for the goal..." Slowly, she stopped facing her, then put her arm around her neck, her bangs coming back on her forehead, "She shoots."

"Slap shot?" Minjoo asked, pulling her closer.

Chaewon bit her smile, encircling her second arm around Minjoo's shoulders, her intense gaze slowly moving up, slap shot, she said, going on her toe picks, crossing her arms behind the hockey player's neck, kissing her. Gently, not so slowly, as if they’d been doing it all their lives, in perfect harmony. Their lips intertwined, gently pulling apart to meet again, sharing the taste of lip gloss. The figure skater turned her head, and the hockey player followed, taking her upper lips between hers, smiles making it hard to kiss for a few seconds. Chaewon pulled her even closer by the neck, leaning back, kissing her again and again. Their eyes met, they exchanged a smile full of love, and the skater pulled her in again, finishing with a few pecks, then kissing her once more, as if she couldn't stop.

Once their new best memory ended, she stepped aside, "she scores! Number ten wins!"

Minjoo chuckled, promptly grabbing her jaw, kissing her as if she missed the feeling during those two seconds they were apart, melting into her. Her tender fingers held tightly to the skater's jaw. She still had one thing to be sure of. Pushing Chaewon's head away from her by the cheeks, ignoring the girl's whine, she asked, "can I call you my girl now?"

"Mh, why n-"

Oh, Chaewon knew too well how to mess with heads. However, Minjoo now had an idea on how to avoid her attitude. The hockey player silenced the annoying figure skater with a kiss, her hand slowly moving from her jaw to her neck, feeling her crazy heartbeat under her touch. She won again when Chaewon snuggled into her arms after that. She proudly grinned while ruffling the pink head resting on her chest, "dating number ten is the biggest win so MVP number eleven remains unmatched. Nice try, though."

And they laughed until the doors opened on Viderski yelling at Minjoo to get off the ice with those outrageous hockey skates.