Prologue

In the Line of Fire

Sehun’s face was glowing with a healthy burgundy blush, a permanent smile etched on his face as he took another shot.

He was surrounded by his fellow army men and precious sprites, all of his battlefield scars tucked away.

 

All I could do was watch him from where I was sitting with one of of my old college classmates. 

He had to look over sooner or later.

Call me crazy but I knew that coming back to Seoul would bring me back to him.

Angels must have planted a clock in my body. It felt as if I had been waiting for this moment ever since we parted.

 

Sooner or later.

 

Sooner.

 

Sehun must have felt my steady gaze on his lovely face as he looked up and stared right at me.

 

Sooner.

 

His jaw dropped slightly. I could see his eyes dancing as the pojangmacha’s lights glittered on his wet orbs.

 

Sooner.

 

My chest responded before my mind did. His familiar sunken cheeks and deep eyes. White skin. He knew I always loved a man in a uniform.

 

Sooner.

 

If only we had loved later.

 

I felt my heart beat loudly in my ears and I felt the quickening pulse in my brain and fingertips. They were sensitive just as the last day he touched me.

Sehun’s name only brought back bitter memories but I lived on with the thought of once again receiving the blind love that he had continuously offered me.

 

Me.

 

Our relationship was all about me. That was the only regret that remained when I laid awake at three o’clock in the morning as I sat in my kitchen with a cup of black coffee.

I did that a lot lately. Sit alone and regret.

 

Back then, I only missed Sehun when I wasn’t with him and I only grieved for him after he asked me to. I didn’t think that I loved him until I was without him.

We were young but I matured faster than he did.

I was practical and he wasn’t.

 

I didn’t love him back then but today, I felt a feeling of deep affinity growing in my chest after seeing Sehun.

Was this the kind of love that Sehun harbored when we were in high school?

 

Like clockwork, my friend left money on the table and excused herself. 

She said was feeling sick.

Sehun stood up.

His long legs carried his long body over to where I was still sitting, waiting for him.

 

The smell of alcohol in his breath was immutable.

 

Some things never change.

 

“Why did I have a feeling that I was going to see you today?”