New Start

I’ll Back Off So You Can Live Better

Jaejoong was noticeably mad. I could feel him so tensed as I staggered behind him while he drag me down an empty alley. “J-Jaejoong-shi… Can we please stop?”

“Shut up!” he sneered.

“But you’re hurting me! Please!” I begged.

At that point, I hit my back against a wall and held my breath when he leaned so close to me. His hands were planted on the wall just near my ears and I knew I’m staying there for a little while.

“Do you have any idea what I’m going through right now? How dare you make me feel this way? Why are you ing doing this to me? WAAAEEE???” he yelled as his eyes burned mine, his warm heavy breaths fanned my upper lip.

My heart was beating faster than normal that my hands curled into a ball. I didn’t have any clue what he was talking about so I looked away hoping he would calm down.

“LOOK AT ME WHEN I’M TALKING TO YOU!!!”

I flinched and looked at him in defeat. “M-Miahnae…” was all I could come up.

Jaejoong was getting annoyed and the fact that he was already fuming didn’t help the situation. “GODDAMNIT JIHYUN! Are you this much of a coward?”

I remained silent looking back to him scared and helpless. I was like a lamb at the wolf’s throat asking him to spare me.

But through it all, he mellowed and softly pinched my chin. “Say something! Please! Hit me! Yell at me! At least tell me what you are thinking? What you feel?”

His touch was so gentle which fluttered my heart. “I…uhmmm…I really don’t know what to say? I don’t even know why you’re mad at me…”

He dropped his head and let out a chuckle. “Can’t believe I’m falling for a girl like you…”

I tilted my head in confusion and blinked. “Excuse me? What did you say?”

He immediately looked back to me. “Nothing! I said… I can’t believe I’m talking to a girl like you…”

“Wae?” I wondered.

“Let’s just say I’m not used to dealing with the innocent and cowardly.” he sighed.

I pushed him and crossed my arms on my chest. “Mwoh?! Yah! Is that even a compliment?”

“Of course not! Tch! It’s the truth!” he smirked.

Now I was the one who’s getting mad. He was arrogant and cocky at the same time. I shot him a scowl and left. “Jerk!”

“Jihyun-ah! Wait up!” he called and ran in front of me, hiding his hands in his hoodie and dipping his head down. “I’m sorry… I didn’t mean to offend you.”

“Whatever!” I side stepped but he followed me. “Yah… My uncle probably blew his head off already. Either you let me go or let him haunt you down.”

He held my shoulders this time and softly spoke. “Just for a sec okay?” I nodded but hesitant. “Look… I’m sorry if I dragged you out here and yelled at you. I was just so mad at those bastards and you didn’t even defend yourself…”

I cut him off. “I didn’t wanna cause my uncle any trouble. That store is his life and blood and I must not do anything to hurt him, much less his livelihood.”

“Fine…” he sighed. “But…can we be…” he moved closer. “…friends?”

“Huh?” I choked. “Waeyo?”

“I dunno… Is there any reason not to?”

I looked down trying to find sense in things.

“Jihyun-ah…” he held my face up. “Didn’t you even realize why after all this time I stayed almost every night in your store doing nothing but look at you? I’m the son of the president of this country and sneaking out just to see you is so hard but it’s nothing…”

Everything seemed blurry after that. All I know was Kim Jaejoong, the first son was holding my face, talking to me. “YOU’RE THE WHAT??? HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!! THIS CAN’T BE!!!” I freaked out and pushed him, running away without looking back.

Jaejoong easily caught up and yanked me back after grabbing my arm. “Yah… Yah! Yah! This is why I didn’t tell you in the first place! Calm down! Lemme explain!”

I panicked while looking around and struggling away from him. “No! Andwae Jaejoong-shi! You can’t do this! You have to go!”

“Stop it Jihyun!” he shook me and I looked at him back in my old self, scared out of my mind. “Look! I’m not asking for anything! I don’t know why but I’m happy even if you’re just a few feet away from me!” he pulled me closer and gently my cheeks. “That one night when I first saw you changed my life. I don't know how, but it did! And now that I’m holding you, I don’t think I can ever let you go…”

I shoved his hands and turn my back. “You don’t know what you’re talking about. We both don’t even know each other…”

“Believe it or not, I do. I know everything about you…”

“Right…” I rolled my eyes. “Your private investigators probably did a great job digging through my life…”

“Ani!” he walked in front of me and lifted my chin up. “I know you have a good heart. You’re the sweetest person I’ve ever seen. The way you smile, laugh, and giggle at the simplest things is amazing…”

I stared into him, speaking my harsh reality. “I have nothing to give you, Jae. I’m poor and a coward. I’m a nobody…”

“That’s why I only need you. You’re perfect for me… Friends?”

I closed my eyes for a bit and let my heart talk. “Fine…”

“YES!” he cheered and suddenly hugged me, lifting me off the ground and spinning around. “Woohooo!”

“Yah! You’re making me dizzy!” I thrashed my legs as I try to break away. “And friends aren’t supposed to do this! Yah! Lemme go!”

“Oh! Miahn…” he snickered and put me down.

I moved a step back and fixed my hair. “May I remind you…” I raised a finger, he listened. “I want everything as it is. I’ll pretend I don’t know about your real identity and you’re still our creepy customer…” he nodded in excitement. “…and my chingu.”

“Deal!” he smiled.