Falling

I’ll Back Off So You Can Live Better

I never expected how much my life would change in just one night. Jaejoong came more often while concealing himself as much as he can. But I guess he forgot about our deal of him being our creepy customer as he became more cheerful and proactive. He would come earlier than expected and bring dinner before the busy night starts. Sometimes he joins us, sometimes he doesn’t since he prefers staring at anything in the kitchen like a kid in the candy store.

I have to admit though, having Jaejoong around lightened up the mood. Aside from the fact that he is beyond humanly attractive, his charming smiles are very contagious that I had to look away so he won’t see me as my lips curl up. His slightest acts of kindness and sweet talks are too pleasing that it makes me giggle deep within.

He’s just that dorky bundle of happiness that you can’t help but grow attached with.

Woojin oppa also changed after knowing Jaejoong’s real identity. He just can’t accept the fact that he’s standing in a room with the son of the president of Korea. He was more nervous than thrilled so he decided to have him stay in the kitchen as precaution. As a result, he grew a lot more cautious and stiff.

I found him once again grilling some gopchang and blankly staring at Jaejoong. “Oppa… Loosen up or you’ll end up getting yourself burned!”

Jaejoong heard us so he moved closer and held my uncle’s shoulder. “Yes hyung! Relax! I’m here as Jihyun’s chingu. Just that!”

“N-Neehhhh…” he forced a smile.

“Great!” I rolled my eyes and glared at Jaejoong. “See why you’re not supposed to be here?! Pft!”

Jaejoong shifted to me and slowly pushed me out of the kitchen. “Admit it… You like it when I’m here…” he whispered.

I instantly looked over my shoulder and slapped his forehead. “You obviously have delusions of grandeur. Keep dreaming!”

He grabbed my wrist in retaliation and pulled me closer until his lips touched my earlobes. “You just don’t know how much I like it when I catch you looking at me.”

I swallowed hard and turned away as my face grew red in a flash. “N-No I don’t…” I elbowed him and hurriedly left.

“Yeah! Keep telling yourself that!” he laughed.

“Jerk!” I hissed.

“I heard that!” he said.

“It’s good then!” I scoffed.

His chuckles haunted me and I know that I’ll be dealing with it for a long time.

----------

The store usually closes at 3:00am. When that happens, Woojin oppa lets me leave first while he finishes everything by himself.

He went out of the kitchen and saw me stretching my arms as high as I can. “Awww~ My Jihyunnie must be tired already. Go home sweetie…”

“Neh!” I bowed. “See you tomorrow oppa! Good night!”

“Yup! See ya!” he waved and started piling the chairs.

As I stepped out of the store, I looked at the night sky and took a deep breath. It was still dark and cold so it was rather refreshing. “Aahhhh… Nothing beats the cool breeze…”

“I can take you somewhere cooler…” that husky voice erupted.

I turned to my right and saw Jaejoong leaning against a wall with hands in his jacket.

“Oh! No thanks… I’m tired already.” then I started walking.

He instantly followed me and grabbed my wrist. “This won’t take long. Let’s go!”

“Yah! Lemme go!” I struggled behind him. “Seriously Jae… I’m tired! I wanna go home!”

“No!” he is once again the typical spoiled brat so I was left giving into him.

When Jaejoong knew I finally wavered, his grip loosened and his pace slowed down. We stopped in front of an Audi R8 and he opened the door. “Get in.”

“Why would I?” I made a face.

“Because I said so! Now get in!” he gestured towards the front seat.

“Shireo! This is kidnapping!” I protested.

“Are you really gonna do that??? To me???” he smirked.

I heaved a deep sigh and dropped my arms in defeat. “I so ing hate you, Kim Jaejoong!” then I went in.

“You’re welcome, Ms. Ahn!” he grinned and closed the door.

Jaejoong drove and took me God knows where when sleepiness crept into my system. The last thing I remembered was when he fixed the seatbelt around me and started to doze off. If I will be or abducted, no one else is to be blamed but myself.

Sleeping in his car was like sleeping in the clouds. I was being lulled deeper and as much as I want to fight my heavy lids, I can’t. He also placed his jacket over me keeping my body warm and cozy. I instinctively gripped on the hems and hugged it like a blanket, and damn it smelled so good.

“Jihyun-ah… Wake up…” he said while my cheek. “We’re here…”

I opened my eyes and looked around as I squint. “Where are we? Is that a beach?”

“Mhmmm!” he then started undoing my seatbelt and letting me wear his jacket. “We’re in Incheon.”

“What? You drove all the way here?” I yawned.

“It’s not that far actually.” he explained.

Jaejoong left the driver seat and opened the door for me once again. He reached out a hand so I took it.

The car apparently parked near a coastline facing the beach. Although the moon has already disappeared, it was still dark and the remaining twinkling stars reflected through the water. He pulled me towards the hood  of the car and leaned against it to watch and listen to the waves.

Jaejoong wore a baseball cap and l was once again caught at how breathtaking he was. Yet, I was so troubled at why an influential person like him chose to hang out with me. “W-Why are we here again? Why did you bring me here?”

“I dunno…” he shrugged. “It just felt right… I know how tired you are so I thought this place might help you.”

“Wae?”

“Coz my dad once said that he usually brings my mom here when she’s stressed out…”

“Oh…” I looked ahead.

“Did it work?” he asked.

“I guess so…” I admitted. “I kinda feel better actually.”

Never have I realized that I no longer feel tired. Jaejoong kept talking about anything and I unknowingly respond to him as if we’ve been friends for decades. I know now that he is a deep person with a lonely childhood given the political background of his family. I also know that he is a regular guy who once suffered a broken heart, a friend whose trust and patience has been tested, a kid who was bullied, and a son who never disappointed his parents.

“You see Jihyunnie…” he turned to me. “You’re that one person I was scared of asking from God but still, he gave you to me. I didn’t question him coz I know that everything happens for a reason.”

Hearing him gave me so much doubts. I’m just a girl with nothing but the clothes off my back, so now, I was the one questioning God why someone like Jaejoong entered my life.

“You don’t deserve me, Jae. You honestly don’t!”

He shifted to face me and cupped my cheeks. “No Jihyun! It’s not for you to say that. Not even I can say that! But I want you to know that I will do everything for you! I can’t lose you Ahn Jihyun!”

His eyes were filled with sorrow and something tells me I might just ease his pain. “I can’t promise you anything, Jae. This is who I am and this is all I’m ever gonna be.”

“And that’s more than enough.” he tenderly embraced me and the butterflies in my stomach soared.

I found myself hugging him back with arms circling around his body.

We didn’t notice the time until the color around us started to change from the sun’s incoming rays. Reflections from the waves and clouds in the sky enhanced the redder light and we broke apart to watch the sun rises in the horizon.

“Uwaaa~ Yeppeoda!” I beamed in awe.

“Ani! You’re way prettier!” he smirked.

“Why so cheesy? Ewwww~” I playfully punched his arm.

“I’m serious! Tch!” he scowled.

The spectacular view also drew attention and Jaejoong quickly snapped. “! We gotta go!”

I looked back and saw a group of people heading straight at our direction. “Oh no!”

“Go!” Jaejoong softly pushed me towards the front door and he hurriedly jumped to the driver seat.

When he saw me getting in and closing the door, he revved the engine and swerved in reverse. “That was close!”

“Yeah!” we looked at each other and laughed out loud.

“That was fun!” he said.

“Mhmmm!” I yawned.

“Go to sleep. You must be really tired already…” he ruffled my hair.

“I am…” I scooted in my seat facing him and reached out to his hand. “To make sure you drive safe.”

I saw his lips curl up and then felt his fingers lacing into mine. “Komawo Jihyun-ah…”

Then I closed my eyes. “You’re welcome, JJ…”