Trial

I’ll Back Off So You Can Live Better

Having Jaejoong as a boyfriend proved to be challenging. Aside from his status, his brain is sometimes at the same level of a grade schooler. He throws a tantrum at the simplest things, demands attention most of the time, and a very jealous boy. I have to be careful with my actions ‘cause he watches me at work with eagle eyes. One time, there was a guy he punched in the face when he merely bowed and smiled at me out of courtesy.

I didn’t get mad at him. Jaejoong is just too adorable and childish that I can’t find myself doing that.

I also have to adjust with the way he show his affection. He is particularly touchy and fond of skinship. If he could only glue himself to me, he would. I’m not complaining. I just wish he would minimize doing it in public. He would steal kisses when no one is looking, and sometimes hug me all the way back to my apartment after work.

There has never been a day that we don’t bicker. He complains about anything and I scold him when his superior genes kick in. He thinks too highly of himself so I had to slap him out of that reality when it happens.

But through it all, I can now say that our bond grew stronger and our love for each other grew deeper. My day is never complete if I can’t see him. My work gets easily tiring if I can’t hear his whines.

Just like our usual night, he came straight to the kitchen and removed his cap and customized face mask. He would stand behind me and snake his arms around my waist as I talk with my uncle before my shift starts. “Jae… Get off me! You’re making me uncomfortable.”

“Shireo!” he then placed his chin on my shoulder. “Hyung! Don’t mind me! You guys continue.”

I sighed and we ignored him.

It took us one week to tell Woojin oppa about our relationship. He was skeptical at first but after hearing Jaejoong’s sincere intentions, he gave us his blessings. He also grew numb at seeing my boyfriend’s naughty side, yet still never fails to guide us.

“Any questions?” my uncle asked.

“Nope! I’m good!” I smiled and wore an apron around my waist.

“Very well then. Let’s get to work!” he cheered. “Hwaiting!”

“Hwaiting!” Jaejoong and I chorused.

Woojin oppa a small TV on his prep table where he watches while cooking. He never misses the evening news and has always been up to date with current events.

“J-Jaejoong-ah!” he called as we were about to head out.

He was staring at the screen with wide eyes and pointing at it. “T-That’s you right?”

Jaejoong smirked. “Tch! I’m always on TV. Wae?”

We both turned to the screen and my eyes could almost pop out of its sockets. “Oh my God!” I pointed at it as well. “And that’s… me!”

It was a paparazzi shot of me and Jaejoong holding hands while walking to my apartment. Although my face was blurred, the long black hair and set of clothes gave it away. Jaejoong was also all smiles beneath a hoodie while keeping his head down.

After that, I panicked faster than I breathed. Images of what’s gonna happen next started to flood me. It was getting unbearable and everything turned hazy. “Eotteokke? This can’t be…”

“Kim Jaejoong…” the lady reporter said. “…revealed to be dating. We still have no information about the young lady but sources say they appear to have an intimate relationship while walking in the wee hours of dawn…”

I can feel the blood draining from my face and not a single word would come out of my mouth. I realized the gravity of the situation that I am in. Jaejoong, the son of the president of Korea, was caught red handed getting too friendly with a girl and it’s just a matter of time that everything will be revealed.

Jaejoong saw me chewing my lower lip as my eyeballs move from side to side. “Babe… Listen to me…” I was too caught up that he had to lift my head up. “Jihyun-ah… Nothing’s gonna happen a’right? I can fix this. Do you trust me?”

I just stared at him, speechless and completely blank.

He walked one step closer and embraced me in comfort. “Don’t think about it, okay? Everything’s gonna be fine.”

“Jae… Take her home…” my uncle spoke. “We’re close for today…”

I looked at him with regret. “O-Oppa…”

“It’s okay sweetheart.” he smiled. “I’m tired anyway.”

I knew it was a lie. Woojin oppa has always been a bad liar and making excuses has never been his forte.

Jaejoong held my shoulders and supported me out of the kitchen. As we reached the main door, blinding lights came out of nowhere. I heard numerous flashes and every one made me flinch. I squinted and that’s how I saw a swarm of cameras a few feet from our faces.

“!” he yanked my hand and securely pressed my head on his chest.

“JAEJOONG-SHI! JAEJOONG-SHI! JAEJOONG-SHI!“ the reporters yelled.

“Is she your girlfriend?” “Does the president know about this?” “Who is she?”

They bombarded him with questions and that was the first time I felt Jaejoong’s heart beating so fast. He was nervous but his hands on my back were completely calm, must be his way of telling me that he’s fine.

The shouts grew louder as strangers grew curious and started to flock as well.

“MOVE OUT OF THE WAY!!!” a voice roared. “I SAID MOVE OR I WILL HAVE ALL OF YOU ARRESTED!!!”

It was Jaejoong’s secretary being followed by men in suits. He pushed us back to the restaurant and closed the door while guards stood outside.

“So this is where you’ve been hanging out all along?” he said.

“Hyung… Miahnae…” Jaejoong said and I shifted to bow. “Hyung… She is my girlfriend, Ahn Jihyun…”

“Ahhh! Lingerie girl… Yah! You should’ve told me about her so we could’ve avoided this mess! Aish!” he scolded him but smiled to me and bowed. “Nice to meet you, Ms. Ahn!”

“Babe… He’s my secretary…”

“A-Annyeong haseyo~” I stuttered.

My uncle came and pulled me away from them. “Jae! What the hell?”

“Hyung… Miahnada… I was careless! This shouldn’t have happened. Please forgive me.” he bowed ninety degrees.

“Now what???” my uncle sneered.

The secretary stepped up. “Don’t worry sir. We have procedures for this type of situations. For now, it would be better for you and Jihyun-shi to avoid this place…”

I dropped on one of the chairs and covered my face with my trembling hands.

“MWOH???” he raged. “What do you mean avoid? This store is my primary source of income! How do you expect us to survive?”

“Hyung…” Jaejoong spoke. “I’ll take care of everything. Just lay low for a while.”

“Fine!” he paced.

“Jihyun shouldn’t stay in her apartment as well…” the secretary added.

“She will stay with me…” Woojin oppa said. “What else?”

“Don’t talk to anyone even if it’s a relative, friend, neighbor, or your dog about this…”

As they talked, Jaejoong came and pulled a chair in front of me. “Babe… Hey…” I looked at him with a chest that’s about to explode. “You know that I love you right?” I nodded. “Good… Everything’s gonna be fine. I promise! Come here…” I leaned closer and he hugged me tight. “Oh God my Jihyunnie… You just don’t know how much you make me happy. I can’t let anyone take you…”

“Jae! We gotta go!” the secretary said.

Jaejoong held my face and kissed me without restrictions. It was just me, him, and our own world. He kissed me like it was our last, and touched me like it was our first.

Everything slowed down as if we’re in the eye of the storm, peaceful for a brief period.

Jaejoong broke away first and stared at me in assurance. “I love you, Ahn Jihyun…”

“I love you, my JJ…”

“I’ll see you tomorrow, okay? Have a good night and sleep well.” he kissed my forehead and stood to leave.

“Neh… Be careful…” I waved.

He waved back as I watch them leave. I know for a fact that as soon as he steps out of the door, our chances of seeing each other are slim. The only thing that I’m holding onto right now is the promise he made that we will always be together.