This Is Me

I’ll Back Off So You Can Live Better

My name is Ahn Jihyun, 20 years old, alone and fragile. I live in a shabby apartment not far away from my uncle’s restaurant where I work as a waitress. I’m one of those people who needs to do extra labor just to eat three meals a day, who needs to be a street smart in order to survive a cruel society, and those who needs to learn by instincts since going to college has never been a privilege.

I’m an orphan and was never ashamed of being one. It taught me to stand up for myself, encourage myself, live for myself. I managed to grow up without asking help from anyone except for the guidance of an ahjussi who I consider as an uncle.

I call him Woojin oppa. He is 40 years old, a handsome bachelor, prudent and wary towards people but affectionate only to me. I already forgot how and when we met, but it was him who raised me like a sister, daughter, niece, anything that falls into the family tree. He manages a small time restaurant which caters to young professionals who loves to drink after a hard day’s work and old people who likes to drown themselves in alcohol.

My day starts at a local market to buy produce for business consumption. After years of going through the same route, talking to the same vendors, I pretty much know by heart what Woojin oppa needs. In fact, it only takes me an hour to finish the task compared to longer hours four years ago.

After shopping, I would go to the kitchen and drop plastic bags of meat, fruits, and vegetables on the counter top. “Here you go, oppa!”

He went to check the bags while I snatched a carrot stick he just sliced and started munching on it. “Komawo Jihyunnie! Did you have breakfast already?”

“Not yet…” I pouted.

“Yah! I always tell you to eat before heading out! Aish!” he turned to me and scowled.

“I wasn’t hungry when I left, but now I am…”

“Go home and eat then! Just go back when you’re done!” he said.

“Okay! I bought you persimmons by the way!” I grinned.

“Jeungmal?” he dug through the bag and raised an orange fruit, taking a huge bite afterwards. “Uwaaaa~ So good! Komawo!”

After seeing the smile on his face, I turned to the door and waved. “No biggie! I gotta go now! See you later!”

“Araseo! Be careful!” he warned.

“Neeehhhh!”

-----------

The store is located in the crowded and noisy part of Seoul, lining up with nearby food stalls on a street. It is small with wooden chairs and tables, enough lighting and fixtures, and neatly maintained. Unlike daytime, it’s always busy at night. Having dozens of people shouting and demanding for attention took a toll on me. I maybe tall and lanky, but I’m never the strongest girl out there. The only thing that keeps me going is seeing my uncle in the kitchen doing work which is twice harder.

With just a pair of skinny jeans, simple black shirt, and black Chucks, I go around serving and waiting every customer as much as I can.

“One tteokbokki coming up!” he announced.

I quickly strutted towards him. “Got it!”

“Yah! Jihyunnie! That’s for him!” he pointed at a hooded guy sitting in a corner. “He’s here again and starting to get on my nerves already!”

“Relax oppa! As long as he doesn’t cause any trouble, then he can stay.” I took the dish from his hands.

“He never eats them anyway! Not even taking a sip from his drink! Tch!” he complained.

“Aigooo~ Let’s not mind other people’s business, shall we?” I smiled and left.

The guy my uncle is talking about is someone who keeps coming back all by himself. It all started four months ago when he walked in asking for directions back to the main highway. It was me who gave him what he needed and I gotta admit, he was very attractive. I even questioned myself why he’s so much prettier than me. He has flawless white skin, contoured jawline, perfect nose structure, he is pretty much a god on the face of the earth.

He said his name was Kim Jaejoong. At first I thought he was THE Kim Jaejoong, son of the President of Korea, but he said I was mistaken. I believed him coz there’s probably hundreds of people sharing the same name and no one famous enough would dare step in our turf.

We rarely talked after that but he showed up more often than expected. He stayed in his usual spot hiding his face either under a hoodie or baseball cap and is always the last one to leave the store. If a random girl comes up to him and initiates a conversation, he would only say a few words and decline in a polite manner.

I swear he’s a weirdo but I can’t kick him out. For one, he’s a paying customer. Second, he’s the sole reason why a sudden influx of female customers increased. Less guys means less drunken jerks.

I stopped by his table and lowered his meal. “One tteokbokki and a bottle of soju. Here you go.”

He looked up to me with his beautiful round eyes, showing a faint smile. “Thanks.”

That has always been our way of communicating. I’m the waitress and he’s the customer, nothing more, nothing less, everyone is happy.

I bowed and turned to leave.

I only made one single step when an ahjussi reeking in alcohol suddenly held my wrist. “J-Jihyun-shi~ Why…don’t you…stay with us for a while? H-Huh?” he hiccupped. “I don’t…I don’t think you have anything to do anyway!” he looked behind me and nodded at the preoccupied customers.

“I’m so sorry sir, but I can’t. I still need to help my uncle.” I bowed, squirming my hands away from his tight grip.

This time his eyes grazed down my body like a hungry lion his lips. “Oh c’mon sweetheart! I’ll pay you double!” he wiggled his eyebrows and biting his lips.

“I’m really sorry…” I bowed and pulled my arm back.

“YAH!!!” he roared.

Without warning, I felt being yanked by the arm with so much force that I yelped from my spot.

The man seemed like he transformed into something else when he hissed without even slurring. “Don’t play hard to get! I know that people like you need money! So shut the up and stay!”

I was insulted but I guess my system got immune from years of working at a place surrounded by intoxicated jerks that I only dropped my head in humiliation.

“How much do you want?” he asked.

I shook my head in response while his grip grew tighter and tighter. My eyebrows started to furrow as I take in the pain.

He walked one step closer and noticed him leaning closer.

I closed my eyes and next thing I know, I was being pulled back and heard a loud thud as if a body fell on the floor.

When my eyes opened, I came face to face with Jaejoong’s back. His soft fingers wrapping my wrist with tenderness. His shoulders hunched at the man who was once threatening me. “If your is itching, go rub it against a ing wall! !”

The companions of the assailant stood in retaliation but Jaejoong snatched an empty bottle by its neck, smashed it on the table, and pointed the remains on their faces. “Try it and I will shove this up your asses!”

Woojin oppa came out with a cleaver and also pointed it to them. “GET OUT!!!” he yelled.

With that, they left with tails between their legs.

Jaejoong still refused to let me go. He was shaking mad and could even feel his body burning up.

“Jihyunnie!” my uncle called. “Gwenchana?”

“Neh!” I answered and attempted to leave but Jaejoong didn’t budge. “Errmmm… Y-you can let me go now.”

He then turned to Woojin oppa, glaring and gritting his teeth in anger. “Sir! I hope you wouldn’t mind if I take her out for a bit! I just wanna talk to her!”

“Excuse me? And what makes you think I will let you?” my uncle also grew furious.

“I just saved her and the least you can do is thank me!”

My jaw dropped while my uncle was tongue tied for the first time in his life. “N-Neh…”

“What? OPPA! How could you?!” I protested.

Without saying a word, Jaejoong immediately left, dragging me out of the store.