Last Catch

Parachute

After attending all of my classes, I took out my phone and stared at Jaehyo's text message, trying to figure out what our special place was. Could it be the tower he took me to see the stars in the sky? Or could it be the park, where we had most of our tutoring sessions? I sighed, debating with myself to see which one I should go to. As soon as I reached home, I decided that I was going to head to the park. Though, to be honest, I don't understand why Jaehyo had to text me this he could just come over and we could have walked there. Maybe he has a special surprise of sort. I shrugged and decided to take a short nap before I head back out.

An hour passed; I stared at my reflection in the mirror, making sure I didn't look so tired. If Jaehyo were to see a speck of exhaustion on me, he'd freak and demand that I go to sleep early to get enough sleep. Sighing, I turned away from the mirror and switched off the lights. I walked towards the front door and slipped on my shoes. The park was only a few minutes away from here, so I was in no hurry. I cleared my throat, saying "ah" to make sure I didn't sound too sleepy. I walked out of my apartment and began to make my way towards the park.

But after a couple of minutes of walking, I found that I had unconciously walked myself elsewhere. I was far from the park; rather I was making my way towards a place that I had spent with Kyung looking at his stars. My legs kept walking though I objected; another part of me wanted me to keep walking this way. As soon I spotted the tree, my heart began to bluntly beat within my ribcage. I knew that Jaehyo wasn't going to be here, yet I kept walking towards the tree. When I was only a few feet away from the tree, I noticed that someone else was here also. His hair and stance said it all without me having to take a guess. I swallowed back, wanting to turn around and run away. What the hell was I doing?
The grass crunched under my feet, quickly catching Kyung's attention as he turned to look back at me. I was only a few feet away from him. His brows furrowed in confusion; his lips mouthed my name. "What are you doing here?"
Crap. I struggled to let words out, "J-Jaehyo—I was supposed to meet him."
"Here?" He raised a brow and smirked, "What the hell is that guy planning?"
"What are you doing here?"
He craned his neck, "Same as you; he told me that there was something he wanted to tell me." He informed, "But now that I think about it, he's probably trying to make something happen between us." Kyung leaned against the tree, his back turned against me. "You might as well make a turn back."

I swallowed back and spewed the next couple of words without a concious to stop me, "Kyung, that other day, I'm sorry—"
"Forget about it," he interrupted me, turning back around to fully face me. "I understand your feelings; I won't try to get in your way."
"But—"
"You love him," he stated, taking a step forward, "your action that day showed me that you'd rather be with him."
"Kyung—"
"I'm leaving in two days since there's really no reason for me to stay here anymore,"
I clenched my fist, and tried to say something to him, but he shook his head.
"Have a great life with him, okay?"
I parted my lips but he cut me off again.
"He'll protect you better than I could ever and love more you than ever—"

Anger took ahold of my feelings; my right hand raised up and the palm of my hand slapped Kyung's left cheek. My teethes clenched, unable to take anymore of his interrupting. Kyung stood there with an indifferent expression on his face. I took a step towards him, "You're the biggest jerk ever, Park Kyung. Do you even realize the words that you're saying to me? That day, I never meant to hurt you—I never did. My body responded on its own, even when I objected, and when it did, I immediately felt guilty." My voice trembled at the thought. "Kyung, you're the one that I—"

Before I could get another word out, my name was called by another. I turned around and was surprised to see Jaehyo walked towards me. How did he find me here? I looked back at Kyung, feeling tensed and afraid that he was going to leave like last time. With each second that passed by, Jaehyo was getting closer. Jaehyo extended a hand out for me and waited for me to take it.  Surprisingly, Kyung extended his hand out for me to take also.

"It's your choice in the end,"
"Who are you going choose?"


It was like that dream. Both of their hands were out for me to grab and it was my choice to pick whose hand I was going to reach for. My mind panicked in thought, but I knew that inside I had the answer for whose hand it was going to be. It was him that I yearned for all along; it was him that I knew I was going to be happiest with.

"Jaehyo," I forced out. He had stopped before me and furrowed his brows in confusion. I grabbed his hand and took a step towards him, "I... I'm sorry,"
"You've made your final decision ," he stated rather than questioned.
"I'm sorry,"
Jaehyo chuckled to himself before letting out a sigh, "I somehow knew this was going to be the result." I slipped my hand from his and took a step back. Jaehyo quickly grabbed my hand and said my name, surprising me. His eyes held pain, but the smile on his face showed no effect. "Be happy with him and smile a lot," his voice weakened, "just... don't share our secrets with him."
I nodded and slipped my hand from his. Turning back around, I smiled back at Kyung with tears already welling in my eyes. A smile spreaded across his face and he parted his arms out, ready to have me in them. I walked to Kyung and quickly wrapped my arms around him, feeling at peace within seconds.

 

 

***

 



Walking out of the store, I spotted a pair of shoes just a few feet away from me. Looking up, a smile spreaded across my face at the sight of Jaehyo standing there. I walked towards him and immediately was englufed in his embrace.
"How was work?" He murmured into my ear.
"Same as always," I shrugged and pulled back from him, "how was your day?"
"Fine," he answered, slightly twisting his lips, "though I think I need your help with the math assignment."
"Of course," I nodded and paused for a second before asking him: "Did he call you to come?"
"Well..."
"Might as well start making our way then,"

Before we pulled away from each other, a voice called out—Kyung.

"That's enough hugging, don't you think?"
Jaehyo sighed and pulled away from me. We turned to face Kyung, who had smug look plastering his face.
I frowned, "You're late,"
Kyung scratched the back of his head, "Sorry, I was caught up with something else." He reached out a hand and motioned his head for me to take it. I looked back at Jaehyo and gave him a quick squeeze before we had to let go of each other. I walked towards Kyung and grabbed his hand within seconds.
"You better treat her well," Jaehyo said as I stood beside Kyung. "If not, I'll definitely come to steal her from you." He smugly smiled.
Kyung scoffed, "I'll treat her better than you can,"
Jaehyo chuckled and raised a hand up, "I'll see you tomorrow in class,"
I nodded and waved back at him, "See you,"
Jaehyo turned around and began to make his way home.

As soon as Jaehyo was out of sight—it was only me and Kyung, still standing at the same place. I looked at him and raised a brow, wondering as to why we weren't moving an inch. He exhaled and turned to look at me, "How about we go somewhere else,"
"Somewhere else?" I echoed, "Where else would we need to be right now?"
"I... really want to show you something,"
Before I could say anything else, Kyung pulled at my arm and dragged me to follow him. I tried my best to keep up with Kyung, but his legs were taking longer strides than mine. "W-Wait for me, will you?"
He looked back at me, shaking his head in opposition, "If I wait, we'll miss it!"
"What exactly are we going to miss?"
"The meteor shower," he excitedly announced, "I found out that it was tonight."
"Meteor shower?" I repeated, "It can't be tonight,"
"Stop talking and hurry up,"
"I told you that—"

Kyung stopped walking and suddenly picked me up into his arms. He sighed, "Let's hope I don't break my back from doing this,"
I scoffed, "I didn't even tell you to do this,"
He smiled back at me and doesn't say another word until we arrived at the destination, which was on the same grassy plain that we saw his stars. He placed me on the ground and lied right next to me. "I think it's supposed to start in a few minutes or so,"
I smiled and turned to look at him, which he looked back at me. "I'm guessing you did research on this,"
He nodded, "Of course; plus, I know how much you like the sky and stars, so I thought why not." He breathed out the last word and stared deeply into my eyes. He moved closer to me and our lips touched. Within seconds, everlasting sparks began to color the dark sky.
"This is so beautiful," I exhaled.
He nodded in agreement, "It's just kind of sad that tonight is our last night together,"
I turned to look at him, "You'll be back within a month, right?"
"Yeah, but," he looked at me, "I'm going to miss seeing your face."
"It'll be okay," I assured, "I don't want you to stay here and miss that kind of oppurtunity."
He frowned, "Why does it sound like you just want to get rid of me?"
I laughed, intertwining our fingers together, and slightly raised our hands up, "I would never want to get rid of you, not especially when your hand fits so comfortably with mine."
Kyung smiled, "Thank you."

For the rest of the night, we watched the meteor shower from above and admired how beautiful it colored the sky. It seemed to reflect how brightly our future was going to be with each other as we grace across the sky to safety.