Chapter 8

Silent Tao

 

March 15th, 2013

Tao's Current Age: 18

 

9:30 am

"Remember my house, Tao?" Kris asked, opening his car door.

Tao opened his door, and gazed at the house. He remembered when Kris brought him here after Kai, Kyungsoo, and Sehun attaked him.

The boys walked over to the door, and Kris unlocked it. They walked in, and this time, Tao took a good look around.

There was a moderately-sized TV and a beige loveseat couch. A glass coffee-table held up a white laptop. Tao glanced to his right and saw the connecting kitchen. Silverware and tupperware were neatly organized into their places. Looking further, the table where he and Kris ate fried rice was still there, other than that textbooks and notebooks lay scattered on it.

Kris followed Tao's gaze and blushed. "Sorry that it's messy. Let me check my school account real quick, and we'll have some fun, okay? You can go look around if you want."

Tao nodded and walked through the hallway, and noticed that there were picture frames hung on the wall.

It seemed as if the pictures were arranged in chronological order. The first picture was a current Kris, standing in front of the school he attends. The second was a younger Kris, standing in front of a mountain. The third was an even younger Kris, laying down on the beach of Jeju Island. And on, and on, and on.

One picture really caught Tao's eye. There was a toddler Kris. He was short and he had black hair. He stood in front of a park.

Wait, that park looks familiar. . . Tao thought, staring at the picture intently, trying to figure out wher-

That's Wu Yifan.

Wu Yifan.

Yifan.

Tao's thoughts were interrupted by Kris. "I'm going to go get the mail, okay? You can use the laptop if you want, but don't 'x' out of my window. My school account's still logged in," Tao heard, followed by a door opened and closed.

Tao rushed over and opened the laptop. He quickly scrolled the page and clicked "My Account." Then, he read Kris' information.

Then four words struck Tao.

'Name: Wu Yifan'

Tao read on, emotions flaring within him.

'Homecountry: China'

'Transferred from: Canada'

'Current Age: 14'

"I'm back, Tao! What do you want to eat?"

Tao looked up and saw a smiling Kris, but his face soon fell. "Tao, are you alright?"

Then Tao spoke.

"Yifan. . ."

Kris looked surprised. "You talk, Tao!"

Then Kris really looked at Tao's teary face. That face looked so-

Hallway. Hospital. Parents dead. Sobbing.

These words ringed in Kris' mind when he realized:

"Tao? Huang Zitao?"

Tao sobbed and ran outside.

"Tao! Wait!" Kris called after him, but Tao continued running, and running.

"Tao!" Kris shouted, going to run after him, but someone blocked his way.

"Oppa!"