One True 5

Echoes of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2010

 

During their peak of fame, DBSK faced a dilemma that threatened their unity and future as a group.

Their agency, SM Entertainment, had presented them with contracts that the members deemed unfair. The terms of the contract not only limited their creative freedom but also favored the management company excessively.

 

After failed negotiations with Lee Soo Man, the members found themselves at a crossroads. They had two options: either engage in a legal dispute with SM and leave the agency, or split into two groups.

 

Yunho and Changmin had some favorable conditions unlike the rest of the members, which exacerbated the tension within the group.

 

“Leaving SM may be a big blow for us.” Yunho voiced his concerns.

 

“I can overlook the unfair financial distribution, but the length and terms of the contract are no longer acceptable. After all we've done for the industry and the agency, we deserve better treatment,” Jaejoong asserted, his frustration evident.

 

“What can we do? We don’t want to split, even if it means renouncing the advantages we have as the Maknae and the leader,” Changmin said.

 

“Personally I will file a lawsuit, with or without you guys.” Yoochun finally voiced his opinion

 

“Let’s just agree on something, it’s not time for internal disagreements. Remember, it’s us against the agency, not us against us,” Jaejoong urged, seeking unity amidst the turmoil.

 

He then turned to Changmin and Yunho and asked, “Or do you have another opinion, guys?”

 

“Let’s not jump to any conclusions yet. We will try to find the best solution for all of us without causing any further damage,” Yunho responded.

 

“Yes, Hyung is right. As you know, people were wondering why our activities were cancelled, so SM released a statement today regarding our dispute,” Changmin added.

 

“We are brothers, and we will stand together and face this, okay?” Yunho expressed as a leader.

They all nodded in agreement.

“We need legal counsel, someone who knows how to deal with these types of contracts,” Yoochun stated, voicing a critical need for their next step.

“You know that Yoon Ji’s grandfather had a similar case, Sechs Kies’ case” Changmin said and then looked at Jaejoong

“You can talk to her, right? I know it’s quite tensed between you lately… But it’s for the group”

 

Jaejoong hesitated for a moment. Despite their strained relationship, he took his phone and dialed her number.

 

"Yeah, I can talk to her," Jaejoong replied reluctantly.

 

After a few rings, she answered.

 

"Hello?" Yoon Ji's voice was hesitant, clearly surprised to hear from him.

"Hey, it's me... Jaejoong," he said, his voice uncertain.

 

There was a moment of silence before Yoon Ji responded. "Jaejoong, hi... What's up?”

 

Jaejoong took a deep breath, gathering his thoughts. "I need to talk to your grandfather. We're having some issues with our contracts at SM, and I was hoping he could help us.”

 

Without hesitation, she wore her coat, and asked “Sure, where are you now?”

 

Jaejoong was taken aback by her immediate response. "I'm at my apartment. Where can we meet?”

Yoon Ji paused for a moment, considering her options. "How about we meet there? I'll be there in half an hour.”

"Okay, I'll be waiting," Jaejoong replied, feeling a mixture of relief and apprehension. They had lately some ups and downs, they didn’t break up, but they were given each other the cold shoulder.

 

He hung up the phone and turned to his bandmates. "Yoon Ji's coming over with her grandfather. They'll meet us here in half an hour.”

 

Yoon Ji arrived at the Jaejoong’s apartment half an hour later, accompanied by her grandfather, Lawyer Choi Min Sik. They greeted each other awkwardly, the tension between them was palpable.

 

Jaejoong wasted no time in getting down to business. "Thank you for coming, Mr. Choi. We're having some problems with our contracts at SM, and we were hoping you could help us.”

Mr. Choi listened attentively as Jaejoong outlined their grievances with SM Entertainment. After hearing them out, he nodded thoughtfully.

 

"I see," he said, his voice serious. "Let's discuss this in more detail. I need a copy of the contract first.”

 

Jaejoong nodded and quickly retrieved a copy of their contract from his room, handing it to Mr. Choi.

As Mr. Choi looked at the document, they were all

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter