A Heartache Called Reality

Echoes of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The night wasn’t easy for Yoon Ji. After returning home, she collapsed onto the couch, trying to distract herself by turning on the TV. Anything to get rid of her thoughts.

As she flipped through the channels, she stumbled upon Music Bank, and who was singing? Girls’ Generation.

Feeling a deep frustration welling up inside her, she turned off the TV and made her way to the kitchen to pour herself a drink.

 

Pouring herself a glass of liquor, Yoon Ji leaned against the kitchen counter, her mind swirling with memories. One drink turned into 5, but no matter how much she drank, she couldn't escape the memories.

Feeling the effects of the alcohol, she finally decided to call it a night and headed to bed, hoping that sleep would bring some relief. However, even as she lay there, memories continued to flood  so vividly her mind, refusing to let her find peace.

 

———

2007

 

Yoon Ji was sitting in the practice room with the girls taking a break from the numerous choreographies they had been practicing.

Suddenly, Taeyeon burst into the room, excitement written all over her face.

"Girls, girls, it's finally happening!" Taeyeon exclaimed, barely able to contain her excitement. "We're going to debut in August... which means in just 4 months!”

 

The news sent a wave of excitement through the room. Yoon Ji felt her heart race with anticipation as she realized that their dreams were finally coming true.

The girls erupted into cheers, hugging each other tightly as they celebrated the long-awaited news.

Taeyeon looked at Yoon Ji and said, “Yoon, Mr. Lee Soo Man wants to see you in his office.”

Yoon Ji's heart skipped a beat. "Why?"

"He didn’t say anything, but I think it's something about our debut," Taeyeon replied.

Sooyoung joined in, her eyes gleaming with excitement. “I’m sure he wants you to be more involved with the choreographies, since you come up with them so quickly."

Yoon Ji smiled at the thought and hurried to the CEO’s office. She knocked and entered, her heart pounding with anticipation.

 

 

Yoon Ji entered Mr. Lee Soo Man's office, her heart pounding with nervous anticipation.

"Yoon Ji, please have a seat," Mr. Lee said, gesturing to a chair in front of his desk.

Yoon Ji sat down, with a smile on her face.

"Yoon Ji, I called you here to talk about your future with SM Entertainment," Mr. Lee began, his tone serious.

Yoon Ji's heart sank. She had dropped her smile.

 

"After much consideration, we've decided that you will not debut with Girls' Generation," Mr. Lee said gently.

Yoon Ji felt as if the ground had been pulled out from under her feet. She struggled to find the words to respond.

"I... I don't understand," she managed to stammer out.

Mr. Lee sighed "Yoon Ji, it's not an easy decision, but we believe it's the best course of action for the group."

Tears welled up in Yoon Ji's eyes as the weight of his words sank in. Her dreams of debuting with Girls' Generation, of standing on stage with her friends, were slipping away before her eyes.

"I'm sorry, Yoon Ji," Mr. Lee said softly. "But I hope you understand that this decision is not a reflection of your talent or potential.”

“B-but what happened to the idea of debuting Girls' Generation as 9 members?” Yoon Ji asked, her voice trembling.

“It will still debut as 9,” Mr. Lee replied.

“How come? Will I be replaced?” Yoon Ji questioned, her heart sinking further.

“Yes, there is a more suitable member for the group, Sunny,” Mr. Lee explained.

Yoon Ji was shocked to hear this. She couldn’t take it anymore.

“It’s not fair. I've been training since 2002, for 5 long years for this moment, and just when it's within reach, I'm being replaced by someone who isn't even part of the trainees here?” she exclaimed, her voice filled with frustration and disbelief.

 

Lee Soo M

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter