The Picture Worth A Thousand Words

sunflower
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyejin was silent during their car ride, a faraway look in her eyes.

Noticing the actress' dull mood, Sujeong bought cupcakes to lift the mood. The younger woman always lit up at even the mere mention of food, but today was a different story. As sweet as the gesture was, it only reminded the actress of her girlfriend, who would be spending her birthday alone as Hyejin had a full day of work. This year would be the first year in nine years where they didn't spend Yongsun's birthday together.

Sujeong grimaced at the visibly upset girl, maybe cupcakes weren't the best option.

Hyejin opened her phone to see if she had gotten a reply, but to her dismay there was none. I hope she's not mad, she thought.

Little did she know, Yongsun was still sound asleep, as she normally would be at 8am.

 

The first thing she saw when she opened her eyes were orange balloons floating in the air, spelling out the words 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY'. She smiled at her girlfriend's sweet gesture. Even if they were cities apart, Hyejin would always prepare something for her special day. She sat up, a yawn escaping her lips but immediately shrieking at the red rose petals that covered her bed. Holding her chest, she cursed at herself for being easily frightened. But her face lit up again, she's so sweet.

As she got ready for her day, she finally tended to her phone that kept going off with notifications. She smiled at the influx of birthday messages from friends, family, colleagues, and her fans. Even on her hiatus, her yongwangnims were active in showing their support and love for the singer.

When she finally stumbled upon her girlfriend's message, she grimaced at the notification time: received 5 hours ago. She quickly opened the message,

Happy birthday my love. I won't be seeing you today but I hope you have the best day. Your Jinnie.

The younger girl always made her heart flutter. Although she was a bit upset to be spending her birthday without her girlfriend, she appreciated her girlfriend's efforts. She typed up a quick reply before grabbing her shoes to head out to her parents' house, not forgetting to smell the massive bouquet of sunflowers and soft pink roses at the centre of their living room.

Thank you my sweet girl. I hope you too have a good day. I love you.

 

Hyejin jumped at the notification, quickly grabbing her phone to see if it was a reply from her lover. She sank back into her seat, those last three words tugging at her heart. Great, now I miss her even more.

She was seated in one of Triple M's studios with the main cast. After arriving from Pocheon, she was whisked away into a meeting before recording an ost for the drama. Waiting for her turn to record, she began scrolling through social media, smiling at the yongwangnims posting cute videos of her goofy girlfriend.

One post in particular caught her attention. One of her twits posted a photo of her and Yongsun from Triple M's family concert two years ago. Yongsun had her arms around Hyejin's shoulders while the latter was staring straight at the camera, unaware of her girlfriend's gaze. This is her first time seeing this photo and it brought tears to her eyes. Yongsun looked absolutely smitten, her eyes so full of love.

As she looked up at her co-star professing his love to her character through song, she realised something. She has never written a song for her girlfriend. So the actress got to her feet, quietly slipping out of the room as she made her way to an empty studio. 

As soon as everything was set up, she stood at the mic with her fingers on the keyboard, and closed her eyes. With the image of Yongsun's smile in mind, the words just flowed out.

... you're my star

In no time, she had a complete song. As she kept replaying the song, she couldn't fight the smile that made its way on her face. I hope she likes it.

 

Just as she closed the door behind her, the producer called for her to record. With her newfound energy, Hyejin entered the booth, eager to get this recording out of the way so she could return home to her lover.

She managed to record in one take and was able to leave the building by 5pm. Sujeong watched as the actress-turned-singer happily skipped to the company car, a warm smile on her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter