five

Sweet Nothings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was one of those mundane school days for Minju. She didn't have classes that afternoon and had just finished reading the book that she borrowed from the library. Having left with nothing to do, she decided to walk mindlessly around the campus.

 

Her mind was preoccupied with so many thoughts, she didn't even notice that she reached the Music Department. When she realized to go back because that meant she had to walk to the other side of the campus, which is like a 10-15 minute walk (that's just average, it also depends on how fast you're walking), and she's already tired from her escapades earlier.

 

So just like that, she's stuck into the dilemma between going back to her apartment and staying out. If she goes back, that means reviewing until she can barely keep her eyes open— which is something that she does every night (a horrifyingly unhealthy habit of hers). And if Yuri, her best friend, finds out that she did that again, she's certain that she'd be hearing an earful from the younger girl and not only that— her parents will hear about it and she'll be forced to move back in with them.

 

But staying out… she has no idea what to do other than going to the library and reading at the corner. Which is not a bad idea, but she's still hung up on the previous book that she just read. And she really wanted to do something aside from the normal things she does.

 

***

 

While waiting for Yuri, she roamed around the building. She can hear the sound of various instruments coming from the practice rooms as she passes by them.

 

She can't help but be amazed by how passionate everyone looked while playing their respective instruments. She can only imagine how much hard work and practice they must've done to perfect a certain piece.

 

Then there's one melody that caught her attention. She stopped in front of one of the practice rooms, where a woman was playing a piece on the piano. It was a piece that she has heard before, but even if it was familiar, there's something unique about it too.

 

Minju wasn't sure what it was, but it does things to her heart. It wasn't heavy or strong, it was rather soft, and calming, and enchanting.

 

She took a closer look at the pianist and saw how she looked so entranced in playing the wonderful piece, with such grace and passion. Like painting the most beautiful landscape, clothing the fields with colorful flowers, dancing with the wind and the trees, as the sun rises behind the mountains, sharing its light to the world.

 

Minju was left in awe. This is the kind of writer she wants to become, a writer that makes her readers feel things and makes them wander freely. Even if they're just sitting there inside a cafe, or the library, or on the couch in their living room, or at the comfort of their own bed.

 

She wants to touch her readers' hearts, just like this pianist touched hers and how time seemed to stop when she heard her play. It's like she's been teleported into another dimension, where—

 

"What are you staring at?" Minju jolted, she almost screamed, thankfully she stopped herself and hurriedly crouched down below the window of the practice room. "What are you doing, unnie?" She pulled the tall girl, who spoke, down with her. Why? Sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter