Promise, I’ll be back

Lifeline
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Love, is it necessary in order to live? For someone like her it isn’t because she has survived 10 yrs without it. Yes, she’s been living ten years of her life without experiencing love. She lost her parents when she was young and grew up in an orphanage where no one was able to show her how to love and be loved, not until she saw this one person again.

Flashback

The director of the orphanage informs her that there will be volunteers coming from a known school and that they will be staying there for 2 weeks to help the kids in need. The said students arrived and was greeted by the orphanage director.

“Students let me introduce you to Ahn Yujin, she’s staying here since she was seven and she will tour you around the orphanage and if you have questions you can just ask her.” The director goes back to his office, Yujin scan the visitors and her eyes widen as she saw a familiar face, a face and a name she can’t forget, Kim Minju.

Yujin was done touring the students and teaching them what to do, she was about to go when a hand stops her. Yujin’s heart starts to beat faster as she saw a familiar face who was now holding her hand.

“H-hey… Yujin-ah, still remember me?” Yujin was so startled by Minju which causes the latter to look at her for quite some time with wide eyes, Yujin was awaken in her trance by the latter’s other hand which she uses to wave in front of Yujin.

“Yujin-ah…Hey!” Minju slightly raise her voice.

“Y-yes! W-why? I’m sorry…”

“Hey why are you saying sorry?”

“ah…I said sorry because I wasn’t able to hear your question.” Yujin scratched the back of her neck while looking down at her own feet.

“I should be the one saying sorry for startling you, I’m sorry Yujin-ah… I just thought you’d remember me.” Minju’s disappointment was written on her face.

“N-no, I-I remember you… I saved you that night from that jerk, seven years ago.” Yujin suddenly blurted out which causes her to blush and looked down to hide her reddening cheeks, then suddenly Minju hugged her which causes the latter’s eyes to widen in the widest way possible.

“Thank you, Yujin-ah… I owe you my life thank you for saving me that day. I wasn’t able to thank you properly that time.” Minju said with pure gratitude and sincerity, that’s the time Yujin felt those feelings again, the warmth of a person hugging you with utmost care.

She was enjoying Minju’s warmth when Yujin saw a girl with a straight hair with fringe looking at them with worry and jealousy in her eyes, when she returned Minju’s hug the said girl walked away.

 

Yujin and Minju parted ways one hour ago, she was now walking on the garden and almost got a mini heart attack because of a voice that stops her from her track.

“Hey, do you like Minju?”

“N-no! I didn’t like her…” Yujin blurted out without thinking.

“You’re lying, I saw the way you looked at her with admiration.” the girl said, meanwhile Yujin’s hands are all sweaty and she feels like running away but then again why would she?

“Am I threatened?” Yujin questions herself. She doesn’t know where all her courage came from when she asked the girl,

“Why is it wrong if I admire her? And yes, I admire Kim Minju and what would you do about it? It seems like you’re scared to have a competitor in Minju’s life.” The girl walks towards Yujin with her clenched fists, she thought that the latter will punch or hurt her but as soon as the girl grabbed Yujin’s shirt, she heard sobs, the girl looked at her with round teary eyes and said,

“Fine, you win. I-I like Mi-Minju too*sobs* I like her, but I think she only sees me as a friend and I’m afraid of having a competitor with her! Are you happy now? Knowing that all I can ever be in her life is to be her best friend.” Then the girl continues to cry, without knowing that she looked like a cute crying little hamster.

“Hey why are you crying? Are you sure that she only sees you as a friend? Did you confess to her already?” Yujin asked her in a soft tone while the girl’s hair, the latter looked at Yujin with those round eyes of hers.

“I-I haven’t…”

“You haven’t? So why are you confessing to me instead of her?”

“I… I thought you like her too so I decided to confront you b-but I ended up being scared and a crying mess in front of my rival.”

“Yah! You really have an advance mind. Next time do not judge a book by its cover. It is true that I admire Minju, but not to that extent, I hugged her a while ago because I missed being hugged. I lost my parents when I was seven and since then no one hugged me nor comforted me, it was lonely having no one by your side and this was the first time someone hug me again after ten years and it came from a person I didn’t expect the most, the person whom I saved in that dark alley seven years ago. Thanks to her I was able to feel the warmth of having a friend again or someone by your side, that’s why I admire her.” Then suddenly the girl hugs her tight.

“H-hey what are you doing?” Yujin asked and the girl just looked at her again with those puppy eyes.

“Y-you said that no one hugged or comforted you for a long time so I’m giving you a hug. It must’ve been lonely having no one, well you have someone now.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well you have me and Minju as your friend now. Thank you Yujin-shi for saving minmin that day, I didn’t know that you were that brave little girl she was talking about. Sorry for the way I acted earlier, by the way I am Jo Yuri, ah what I mean is I am Son Yuri. Sorry I am still not used to my new surname. Oh! And Yujin, It’s Kang Minju now.”

“Kang Minju? Did she change her surname?”

“Yeah, she uses her mom’s family name now. It’s a long story but I’m sure Minju will open up to you someday.” Yujin just nodded and started to drag Yuri with her.

“Okay, let’s go because you still need to do something.”

“To do? And what is that?”

“Oh! It’s just you know… I mean, You just need to confess to Minju about your feelings for her.” Yuri’s eyes widen in shocked as Yujin wrapped her arms around Yuri’s neck since she was smaller than her.

“Let’s go Son Yuri!”

“B-but….”

“No but’s Miss Yuri, don’t be a coward anymore and beside I’m here to help you.”

“Really?” Yujin saw her eyes twinkling and she just nodded.

Just like that Yujin witness how Yuri confessed her feelings for Minju, and she was right the fireflies shows up, setting the mood more romantic. Minju said yes to Yuri and it seems that the latter is just waiting for Yuri to make a move first.

“Yujin-ah! She said yes! Come out now.” Yujin saw Minju’s shocked face and it was priceless, she looked like a frog that has been caught in the head lights. Yuri runs towards Yujin and hugs her while jumping.

“Yah! Yuri-ah, you team up with Yujin on this?” Minju asked with an overly surprised tone.

“Yes Minmin, she was the one who encourage me, and helped me find this perfect place to confess to you.” Yuri said with her sweet smile while Yujin just showed her toothy grin.

“Well, congratulations to the both of you for succeeding on making me said yes!” Minju said in a teasing tone.

“No, I should congratulate Yuri and you Minju, you’re finally official now, congrats love birds! Whoo!” Yujin excitedly cheer.

“Yah, yah, yah… Ahn Yujin, you should call us unnie, remember we're a year older than you.” Minju said while shaking her head lightly.

“Omo! Mianhaeyo unnies.” Yujin said in a teasing tone. The three of them continued to tease each other even in their rooms, Yujin was sitting on the bed with Yuri and Minju when she looks at Minju and asked,

“Unnie, how was your life after that incident?” Yujin asked, Minju’s face shows discomfort at the memories but decided to brush it away.

“Unnie, it’s okay you…. You don’t need to tell me anything, I’m sorry for being insensitive.”

“No, it’s okay Yujin-ah… You don’t have to say sorry, I know my face shows it all, the pain and discomfort that I felt that day but I had moved on a long time ago.” Minju holds Yujin’s hand as she narrates what happened to her after that night including the accident that almost killed her.

“U-unnie… I… I didn’t know that you had an accident, I wished I was there to hold your hand and give you warmth just like how you gave me a hug a while ago.” Yujin said with regret in her voice.

“It’s in the past Yujin-ah… It’s okay, you’re here now. You, being near me gives me a lot of warmness in my heart.” Minju hugs the latter and added,

“You’re really cute, right Yuri-ah?” Yuri smiled.

“Yeah… our Yujinnie here is so cute.” Yuri joins the hug session and added,

“You don’t have to worry too much Yujinnie… Minju here was now surrounded by people who loves her, especially her Mommy Seulgi.” Yujin showed a confused face and asked,

“Unnie, is she your Mom?”

“Well, yes she is one of my moms, actually Yujinnie I have two mothers the one who gave birth to me which is my Joohyun Eomma and the one who gave life to me using her heart which is Mommy Seulgi.” Yujin’s confusion was apparent in her face so Minju explained it further,

“What I mean about Mommy Seulgi giving life to me using her heart is because she gave me another reason to live my life to the fullest, she’s the one who encourage me to do my best and to try new things, to do what I like and the one who’s always by my side when Joohyun eomma is busy.”

“Is that why you change your Surname?” Minju nodded.

“Yes, because of her I was able to discover and know myself better, she gave birth to what I am right now.”

“Which is the Kang Minju that everyone adores so much.” Yuri added.

Yujin’s disappointment is apparent to her face which causes Minju to worry.

“Hey, yujinnie are you okay? You seem sad.” Yujin shrugged her thoughts away and said,

“It’s nothing unnie, I’m fine. I just remember someone dear to me.”

“Yujinnie were here now for you always remember that.” Yuri added and the three of them decided to call it a night.

 

The days passed by quickly and the three of them became even closer. Yujin toured them on the neighborhood and they are passing a stream when Yujin stopped walking and stare down at the stream.

“Yujinnie…why?” Yuri asked.

“It’s your last day here unnies, so I’m feeling a little sad and I’m thinking about when will I ever see the both of you again.”

“Yujinnie…” Minju unnie called me and when I looked at them Yuri unnie splashed some water in my face.”

“Yah! Yuri unnie! Minju unnie!”

“Don’t be sad Yujinnie, Minmin has a surprise for you.” Yujin looked at her Minju unnie who’s smiling widely at her, then Minju positioned herself as if she were about to announce something important.

“Ehem! Ehem! Today I, Kang Minju declare Ahn Yujin as one of the recipients of the scholarship in the SM International School in Seoul.” Minju finishes with a grin.

“Congratulations Yujinnie!” Yuri clapped her hands like a seal.

“Unnie you’re really making fun of me! Stop it.” Yujin said while pouting then Yuri and Minju looked at each other and laugh so hard.

“Ahahahaha, Yah Ahn Yujjin, you think we’re making fun of you?” Minju asked while laughing.

“Yujinnie… it’s true we’re not making fun of you. You really are one of the scholars now.” Yuri added.

“B-but How?! I tried to apply for a scholarship there back then, but I just got rejected.”

“Ahn puppy there’s nothing impossible with Kang Minju.”

“Yah! Yul-ah…” Minju said as she lowered her head in embarrassment, and Yuri started explaining.

“Yujinnie, Minmin is the only heiress of the Kang Group. Her mom was a director and a major stockholder in our school, so my girlfriend here asked her mom to sponsor you so that you can also attend our school.”

“B-But it’s too much Minju unnie. It’s very expensive there and I don’t have any specialties to start with.”

“You have specialties Yujinnie, and you used that when someone needed it the most. Remember that night you saved me? You were amazing back then, and I guess until now ‘cause talent never gets old.” Yujin’s eyes got watery and said,

“Minju unnie, Yuri unnie… thank you so much, promise I won’t waste this opportunity you’ve given me.” The three of them embraces each other, and Yujin felt like she’s not alone anymore and that she belongs to somewhere else in this cruel yet beautiful world. And she thanked Minju and Yuri for melting the iced heart of hers.

End of flash back

Yujin was awakened in her trance by the students murmuring. She is now attending Sm International School and currently a 17 years old freshman student, Yujin is now at the university's auditorium for the welcome ceremony, and they were listening to the principal's speech. The emcee once again talked.

"Thank you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter