Destiny

When Two Seasons Meet

When I wake up, I find myself in the most warm, comfortable place that ever existed: Minho's arms. Apparently, at some point after I had passed out due to the regaining of memories and the overwhelming joy and relief, Minho had carried us both onto his bed, and although it's very tight, it's amazing because we're next to each other. I raise my head to stare at his face, his eyes closed and his lips slightly parted in his slumber. 

I study him, every inch of his perfect face, wondering how in the world I managed to survive without him, and even worse, managed to survive without knowing who he actually was. Remembering the time I didn't actually know him, yet I knew he was important, and that was actually one of the reasons why I held on to him. Smiling as I remember all the memories we had, relieved that they were all there again, and now I feel more complete. 

It's just going to be a matter of time now before Minho and I go home, and things will go back to normal. 

Here they are again, the questions of, what is normal for Minho and I? Where is his home? Where is my home now? Will we even be able to go back to the place above the clouds? If so, then how? All the questions running through my head endlessly, causing me to close my eyes tighyly and move closer to Minho, seeking comfort in his warmth. 

Warmth. Funny how I had refused such a thing when he wasn't around, yet when we touch, despite the coldness and the pain, beneath that all there is overwhelming warmth. I smile against his shirt, feeling his arms tighten around me as if I was going to leave him, which I would never do, at least not willingly. I hear him groan and sigh, and then I look up at him again, gasping softly when his eyes open, not at all expecting all the warmth and the love I saw in them, all of his emotions directed toward me and I feel so special that I almost tear up, all the while amazed by how much he seemed to treasure me. 

The corners of his lips twitch up a little in a small smile as he says, "Hello, my human Taeminnie." 

I return the smile, still unable to look away from his eyes, our faces so close to each other that his long eyelashes almost reach my cheeks. "Hello, human Minho," I mumble in reply, my smile widening when he chuckles and pulls me against him once more. 

"How are you feeling?" he asks, his voice raw and hoarse with sleep. He turns us over so he's lying on his back and I'm pillowing his arm. 

I squint for a moment. "A little dizzy, but I feel great." And that was an understatement. I didn't think I could even name how amazing I felt to be with him again. 

He nods against his pillow, his eyes closed but I know he's not asleep. Gazing at how golden his skin seemed under the light of the setting sun, how his eyelashes were so long they rested on his cheekbones, how his lips looked so plump and soft. Taking in all his perfection and barely able to hold it all in. 

I manage to tear my eyes off him and gaze out the window again, noticing how things were very slowly starting to change, and knowing that Jonghyun must still be here, doing his work. And then I realize, soon, if I stay as a human, I'm going to experience Autumn for the very first time! The thought exciting me so much that I don't realize that I'm grinning to myself, and that Minho had been staring at me the whole time. 

"You're so perfect, Taeminnie," I hear him whisper, and I fix my eyes on him again, once again catching my breath because of all the emotion in his own pair. Then I realize, that's the special thing about him. He's always so expressionless and blank, but it's his eyes are what hold and show all of it, and the thing is, all the emotion is never noticable unless I stare deep into his beautiful eyes, which used to be blue or deep red, but are now just brown, but still so beautiful nonetheless.

I smile softly at him. "Really? Even without the the glowing skin and the golden hair?" I ask, watching as his smile appears once more, and feeling my stomach tie into one big complicated knot. That happened a lot whenever I'm around him, and I wondered if it would ever stop, or I would just have to get used to it. 

He chuckles. "Human or not, you're always perfect." 

I blink, ridiculously flattered that I don't even know what to do. "Human or not... What do we call us then? When we were up in the clouds and all, what were we called then?" 

He thought for a moment but shrugged. "I don't know. Angels? Season Changers? Season Descenders? Does it matter?" There is a flash of playfulness in his eyes, his smile widening and his eyebrows raising. 

I hesitate, and softly I mumble, "No, I guess not. But are we going back?" 

I feel him stiffen at that, and then he presses his lips together, eyes squinting. "I don't think so..." 

"We're gonna be humans forever?" I ask, my voice loud and surprised.

"Not forever. One day, we're going to disappear," he murmurs deep in his throat, his voice low as if it's not allowed to be said aloud. 

"We're going to die one day, right?" I ask again, and stiffly he nods against his pillows. "And I would have been dead by now if not for you. You saved me that day, Minho. Do you remember?" 

He smiles warmly and nods. "Of course, I remember. I saw you and I just ran up to you, and I wanted to hold you close to me forever, and I was so happy to see you, I could barely believe my eyes. But it seems, when we touched, our memories of each other disappeared." 

I say nothing, just gaze at him, wondering what would have happened if I hadn't stepped away from that car, dying right in front of his eyes. But I shake the thought away, not at all wanting to remember about it, neither did I want to remember the feeling of not knowing him, that feeling giving me shivers. 

And then I wonder, how did all this happen? How did everything change so quickly, so abruptly, I'm barely even able to keep up? Or, to be more precise, the real question is why? Then I remember how Minho had disappeared years ago, how I changed significantly, how all the anger and negative energy grew within me. It was all because he disappeared, but why? 

"Minho, why did you leave me? Why did you come here?" I ask him softly, and then he stiffens again, gazing up at the cieling. I stare into his eyes and it was as if I could see the million throughts running through his head, and saw the worry and the fear and the hesitance that I immediately regret asking, realizing, why did it even matter? All that mattered is him now, here with me, human or not. 

"Never mind, don't answer those questions, they don't matter anymore," I mumble, smiling at him when his eyes fix on me. And I see that he tries to return the smile, but fails. 

"It does matter, Taemin. Even if it's all in the past, way back in the past, it still matters. And you have every right to know, and you need to know, which is why I'm going to tell you," he says, his voice tense and low, as if he's forcing himself to speak. 

I shake my head. "You don't have to, if you don't want to." 

"I don't want to, but I have to," he protests, "I've decided to spend the rest of my life with you, and I won't let you go on living with me without knowing why we're humans in the first place." And then he pauses, as if to study the words he just said, and apparently the question he decided to ask was, "You will live the rest of your life with me, right?" I stare at him for a short moment, finding the way he looked desperate and scared so cute. 

I smile warmly. "Of course." He sighs in relief and stares at the cieling again, and I know I'm just supposed to wait, because he's sorting out the things in his mind. 

After a few long moments, he finally says, "I'm going to tell you now, alright?" 

I smile and nod, listening intently. He takes a deep breath and tells me the whole story. 

"Remember when I told you that I was never meant to be someone from above the clouds in the first place? I was never meant to be an Angel, or a Season Changer, or a Season Descender?" I nod, and then he continues, "Well, it's because I started off as a human. This is where I belong. And... and I was a bad human. I was arrogant and selfish and inconsiderate and cruel. Everyone that knew me, hated me, but I didn't care, because I only cared about myself. 

"Then one day, I suddenly woke up in that place, the clouds, with that voice, and I was... I was blue," he gave out a soft laugh at that, albeit a wry one, "and I was cold and I was hurt and I was lonely, and I realized I wasn't human. The voice explained it all to me, and at first, I thought it was all a dream, but it wasn't. It was my punishment, to live as the Cold Winter Boy, the lonely Winter Boy, the sad Winter Boy. I had to feel such pain all the time, for no apparent reason, all because I was a bad human. That is, until I would find true love. And that was another punishment: to be taken away once true love is found, thus seperated from my true love in a different world. 

"And then I found you, so beautiful and so perfect and I fell in love with you so quickly. But I knew I shouldn't have, because I didn't want to be away from you, but that itself is still loving you, isn't it? I knew it would just hurt so much more, and it did. When I was taken away and back here, in the human world, I couldn't even live for weeks. I talked to no one, although it wasn't like anyone would've wanted to talk to me, and my family is gone, and I had no friends. I thought my punishment was over, but it turned out I was going to live a punishment for the rest of my life. 

"The only nice thing about being human again, though, is that I got to experience Spring, for the first time in so long. For hours I would gaze at the flowers and the grass and all the beautiful things you brought, but I noticed, even though they were beautiful, there was something... off about them. And then I knew you missed me, too." 

By then I was crying. Crying because of all the things that happened to him, crying because I felt so loved and cherished. He stared at me for a long moment, wiping my tears with the pad of his thumb, 

"We all started off as humans, Taemin. You were once human, Jonghyun was once human, Kibum was once human, but none of you just remember being one. You had new, happy lives, and I guess, you were just some lucky chosen ones. Maybe it was just your destiny. As for me, I had to remember, I had to long to be human again, I had to be lonely and sad, I had to suffer, I had to liv--" 

I stopped him then, not wanting to hear more, clamping my palms over his lips, crying onto his chest. And he just held on to me, letting me cry. 

 

The crying ended after a few hours, and then we were back to staring at each other, and then we got hungry, and we were both laughing at the sounds our stomachs were making. We both got up to go get something to eat, and when that was done, we went downstairs, and by that time, it was already nighttime. 

We closed the shop and hung out on the sofa, gazing at all the paintings he hung on the wall one by one, his arm around me and my whole body leaning against him. 

"Do you see that one?" he asks softly, pointing at one right above the counter, at the center of the wall. The canvas wasn't big, but it wasn't small either. I stared at it for a moment, taking in all the hues and noticing most of it was amber. And I realized, it was a painting of Autumn, and Kibum was standing right at the center of a million amber-leaved trees, his hair so yellow and his face so beautiful I'm barely able to look away. The aura so sweet and attractive, and I smile, happy that I finally got to see how he looked like, but feeling slightly disappointed because I couldn't show Minho how Jonghyun looked like. 

"He's beautiful," I murmur in awe, and then turn to smile at Minho, who's also smiling at me with eyes so full of love and passion. "No wonder Jonghyun couldn't stop fussing about him." 

I hear him chuckle, and then he holds me tighter, my head resting on his shoulder just like before. We sat there for hours, sometimes just letting the silence pass because we didn't need words, and other times laughing at the memories we had, but the whole time, we were just getting to know each other once more, as humans, and we were prepared to spend the rest of our lives together... as humans.