The Decision

Ms. Aarona Yan

There is a saying that no matter how savaged a girl is when she enter the Xin Shen (New Life) Girl’s Academy, she’d always be reborn into a proper lady and principal Chen work really hard to keep the school’s motto. He repeated the word “lady” over and over again in his head as he tries to get rid of his writer’s block on the new school year’s speech.

“Principal Chen,” Principal Chen heard his secretary’s voice, “there’s a phone call for you from your sister.”

Principal Chen picked up the phone. He hasn’t heard from his sister Angie Yan for a long time. Every since she married off into a wealthy family, the siblings had little contact.

Even though Angie Yan married into a wealthy, she’d been traveling around the world living in different countries. Her two children, twins, were left alone in Taiwan living in a mansion by themselves. Angie would love to stay with her children but she must travel with her husband for business trips.

“Hello,” Principal Chen said as he picked up the phone.

“Ge, I need your help,” Angie said with a pleading tone. “I’m worried about my daughter, Ella. She’s sixteen already but she still acts like a child and a tomboy. Have you seen her friends? She had bad influence from them thus liking rock music. I heard she’s secretly taking guitar lessons and forming a band. I can’t watch over her anymore!!!!”

“I would love to help,” the principal lied, “but there’s not much that I can do.”

“Ge, send her to your school, please, I’m begging you. She needs an adult to take care of her. She’s only sixteen.”

The principal wanted to have as little interaction with his sister as possible. He envied her happy, rich life and hated her attitude toward her children, leaving them without supervision. Principal Chen thought of an excuse to reject the request. “Mei, what about Aaron. He’s only sixteen too.”

“But Aaron behaves. He can take care of himself. He had never disobeys me once, unlike his sister. Plus Aaron is attending the Prince Academy for Boys this year so Ella is left alone. Please let her into your school. The Xin Shen Girl’s Academy is very difficult to get in. Help me because I’m your sister. I’ll give you as much money as you want.”

Principal Chen’s eyes sparkle as the mention of money. Money never fails to persuade him. He immediately accepted Ella Chen as a new student of Xin Shen Girl’s Academy.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Aaron pranced back and forth, back and forth around his home phone. ‘Please,’ he kept repeating in his head, ‘please please please please please.’ Aaron had been walking around the phone for an hour waiting for a reply from his application to the Prince Academy. Prince Academy is the hardest school to get into in the country and he was unsure of the feedback from his application.

Suddenly, the phone rang. Aaron’s heart skipped a beat as he slowly walk over to pick up the phone.

“Hello,” Aaron said in fear.

“Aaron honey,” Aaron heard his mom’s voice. He felt both relief and disappointed. “Is Ella home?”

“No, mom.”

“Could you tell her that I wanted her to go to her uncle’s academy, the Xin Shen Girl’s Academy for school his year?”

“Uncle? Uncle Chen? We haven’t seen Uncle Chen since we were seven. Why do you want her to go to his school?”

“Just tell her to go. No excuse. Bye.” Angie Yan hanged up without further explanations. She wanted Aaron to know that Ella has to go to the school no matter what.

Just as Angie Yan hanged up the phone, Ella slam open the door and skipped happily into the house.

“AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!” Ella screamed on the top of her lungs.

“GUESS WHAT HAPPENED TO ME TODAY???? OUR BAND WAS ACCEPTED AS ONE OF THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD AND WE’RE ENTERED IN BE IN A BATTLE OF THE BANDS IN LONDON!!!! AARON, LONDON, L-O-N-D-O-N!!!! THE COMPETITION IS GOING TO LAST……A WHOLE YEAR WITH MANY ROUND!!!!! THIS IS GOING TO BE AN AWESOME YEAR!!!! NO STUPID SCHOOL!!!!!!” Ella basically screamed out all these words at once. If Aaron hadn’t been her twin brother, he wouldn’t had understand her.

‘Wait, London, a whole year, Crap!!! The academy she needs to attend.’ Aaron thought as his face changed from happiness for his sister to worry.

“What’s wrong?” Ella asked seeing Aaron’s change of face.

“Ella, mom just called and she is forcing you to go to Uncle Chen’s Xin Shen Girl’s Academy for school this year. She said there’s no excuse for not going. Her voice was very serious.”

“NO!!!! Do you know how hard it was for our band to be able to enter the Battle of the Band’s contest? We worked our butts off and now mom is going to ruined it for me.”

“I am so sorry Ella. If only I could help you but I can’t.” Aaron looked at Ella with an apologetic expression.

The twins stood there for twenty minutes roaming through their little heads trying to think of a solution to Ella’s problem. Ella looked over at the phone again. Something red caught her eyes and she lean closer to the old, black phone. On the side of the phone a little light appeared every two seconds. Beside the light, a little screen shows “One New Message.”

‘Aaron must’ve missed a call, knowing how clumsy he is.’ Ella pressed the play button.

“Hello. This is Maria from Prince Academy. I’m calling to inform Aaron Yan about his application to Prince Academy. I’m sorry to inform him that he has been rejected to the Prince Academy. Please call 231-243-9802 for more information. Thank You. Have a nice day.”

Silent filled the room. Ella turned toward Aaron who was now expressionless. Finally after about ten minutes or so, Aaron broke the silence.

“Rejected,” Aaron murmured, “rejection means I have no school to attend. No school, no education…..rejection, rejection, rejection….”

“Ge, don’t worry. There are other schools.”

“I didn’t apply to other schools.” Aaron looked up at Ella. This notice add to the problem they already had to face with Ella with Xin Shen.

“You don’t have a school to go to. I have a school I need to go to but I can’t and…WAIT!!! AARON!!! What if… you go to my school for me? We are twins.”

Ella looked in the mirror. There are some facial features similar between Aaron and her. Plus their uncle hasn’t seen them for a very long time so he didn’t know what they look like right now. With their uncle being the principle, Aaron could easily enrolled into the school without further background search. These thoughts ran through Ella’s mind before Aaron shouted.

“I’M A GUY AND YOU ARE A GIRL. IT’S CALLED A GIRL’S ACADEMY FOR A REASON!”

“Ge, with your looks and some makeup, no one would suspect you for being a guy. We’ll make it work. Plus, a lot of girls look like guys nowadays. I’ll help you with everything you need. Please, ge, please help me.”

Aaron sighed. He thought about the plan. He looked into the mirror. His young, innocent face with a petite body and short height could help him pass for a girl. Since he didn’t have any other school to go to and Ella really needs his help, Aaron decided to agree to the plan.

“Fine Ella but you better make it believable or else you’d be the one in trouble.”

“YAY!!!!! Thank you so much. I love you ge. Yay!!! Go-Ing To Lon-Don, Play-Ing My Gui-Tar,” Ella sang as she cavorted around the room.

Aaron thought about going to a girl school, living in a girl’s dorm, and seeing only girls everyday. He sighed and began to pray that nothing bad would happen.