THREE

Life Within Two Worlds • (MICHAENG)

The two enters in the complex apartment where the view of Seoul can be seen in Dahyun’s room. Her apartment is just simple, a full big window on the living room with a black and gray color painted on the wall. She also has a glass stairs that leads to second floor of her apartment. There are also some paintings and pictures that caught Chaeyoung’s attention.

“Who is –“ Chaeyoung didn’t finish her words when Dahyun talks to her.

I never saw that face before.

“Feel at home Chaeyoung! What do you like? Are you hungry or not?”

Chaeyoung seated on a black couch in the living room “Do you eat the food of these People?? Dahyun we are a grim reaper we don’t eat!” Chaeyoung wears a disgust on her face when she found out that Dahyun eats what normal people digest in their every day life.

Dahyun pouts and she seats beside Chaeyoung “I know but I cannot resist it! And it doesn’t stated to our law that we are not allowed to eat what these people eat!”

Well she have a point.

“What do you like?” she ask again Chaeyoung. 

“Anything that you have” Dahyun nods and she left Chaeyoung on the living room.

The grim reaper stood up and she walks in the huge windows.

There are a lot of changes happen in this country since I left my body somewhere here in Seoul.

I should have come down sooner.

Chaeyoung let’s eat, try this one!” Dahyun shouts from the kitchen

Chaeyoung uses her powers to shift from living room to the kitchen that made Dahyun jolted to her place.

“Yah! I should make house rules now”

Chaeyoung just smirk and she seated on the dining table with Dahyun “What is this?” she saw a red paste with some vegetables and rice on it.

“This is kimchi fried rice, try it!”

Chaeyoung takes a bite and she didn’t let her disgust face to show up.

I miss to eat like this

“Is it good??”

Chaeyoung just nod.

“By the way” Chaeyoung grabs a glass of water and she drink “Who is the girl on the picture?” she puts back the glass of water on the table. “What picture?” Dahyun looks at Chaeyoung with an innocent face “The girl who puts her arms on your shoulder?” When Chaeyoung ask Dahyun about the girl on the picture, Dahyun visibly choke from her food.

Chaeyoung gave her glass of water to the girl who cannot gulp the food. Dahyun takes the water and she drinks like there is no tomorrow.

“Ah hahaha” she nervously laugh.

“Th-that’s my friend!”

“Oh I see. If it is more than that I am against to your relationship with her. You are a grim reaper Dahyun you must not interfere with normal people's business. Our job here is to collect Souls not to flirt with humans” Chaeyoung eats back, Dahyun widens her eyes and she put her head down when she heard that Chaeyoung is against from the idea of relationship with humans. She cannot argue with the candidate of god of living. 

What if Chaeyoung is the next god? Dahyun may lost her soul eternally and she couldn't go back  from her job that is collecting souls. 

“I’ll go to the bathroom, if you are finish just put the plates on the sink” Chaeyoung just nod and Dahyun left the grim reaper along in the kitchen.

Chaeyoung finished eating when the doorbell of Dahyun’s apartment ring. Chaeyoung shifted her body from kitchen to the door. Without hesitation, she opens the door and the person became confused when she saw a different girl on Dahyun’s apartment. She look again the room number and it is correct.

“YOU!” they both said in unison that made Dahyun ran infront of the front door behind Chaeyoung.

“Sana I’m gonna explain I am not cheating on you!”

Sana aggressively enters the apartment and she start smacking Dahyun’s arm with the use of her bag.

Chaeyoung left perplexed and she keeps her eyes blinking trying to process what is happening.

“Yah Kim Dahyun! I trusted you with my whole life then you are gonna cheat with me to that girl?!” Sana keeps on smacking Dahyun’s arm until Dahyun lay down on the floor.

“Ouch!.. I.. Let..me explain Sana!!”

“Let explain the person, you are concluding based on what you see” Chaeyoung crossed her legs as she seated on the couch while looking at the two, where Dahyun is the bottom and Sana is on the top of Dahyun.

Sana stood up and she fix herself “Okay explain!”

“Me and her..” she stops as she catch her breath.

“What?!”

“Works together!”

“Oh...”

Chaeyoung smirks at Sana “See, you are concluding based on what you see. Next time don’t conclude like that” she pats Sana’s head and she left the apartment of Dahyun.

“Yah Son Chaeyoung where are you going?!”

“Gonna find some inner peace and I cannot handle what I saw earlier” Chaeyoung smirk while walking towards the elevator.

The night sky filled with coldness and sullen feeling. When Chaeyoung is walking around somewhere in Seoul, she stop in front this university.

Seoul National University? She nods after she reads the School’s name. She saw some students who are walking with their friends, and some of them are alone.

Ah these students must work hard for their future and help those people who are in need.

She stayed and have a seat in a bus stop for a minute to take a rest and to realized that she is been living eternally.

Time passed by, Chaeyoung stood up to head back home but she saw a person who is walking grogily towards her or should I say to the bus stop.

With her eyes sharp, Chaeyoung saw that this person is fresh from crying. Chaeyoung decided to seat again.

On the other side of the seat in the bus stop she saw the person that is standing near the road itself. The girl was about to step a foot and Chaeyoung saw that there’s a fast car coming to that girl.

Is this girl crazy?!

Chaeyoung quickly her hands around her coat to see if there’s an evelope but to her surpise it’s none.

Ugh!

The girl’s feet is already on the road taking another step. The fast car is almost near to the girl’s body when Chaeyoung decided to shift from bus stop to the girl’s place.

Everything went slow mo, Chaeyoung held the girl’s waist to balance so that she does not fall into the ground. She pulls the girl’s body back to the bus stop.

The two lock each other’s eyes, Chaeyoung saw that the girl’s eyes is scared and lonely. The mole on the bridge of her nose until her lips, it’s like a constellation; a perfect constellation.

Everything came back to normal when Chaeyoung gulps.

The girl knitted her eyebrows and she stood up.

“Are you okay?” Chaeyoung asked the girl.

The driver gets out from his car “A-are you okay Ms?”

“Don’t worry she is okay!” The driver nods and he goes back to his car.

“Why did you save me?” her soft voice melts into Chaeyoung’s ear.

“Because you almost die!” She shouts to the girl who is now crying, the people behind them are murmuring about them. Chaeyoung bows at them and she drags the girl far away from the bus stop.

“You should’ve let me to do that!” she shouts at Chaeyoung.

“It’s not yet your time to die”

Chaeyoung suddenly realized that she is in a human form not a Grim reaper.

“I don’t care if it’s my time or not! I.. am tired living in this world” she sobbed so hard. “Everything that I do, I always fail! I am trying to prove myself to them that I am enough! That I can achieve my dreams!”

“What is your dream then?” she ask.

She sniff and she wiped her tears away.

“My dream is to become a successful doctor and find a person who will spend lifetime with me”

“You know what life will never be easy, you need to stand on your own. You need to be strong because this world talks about survival. If things gets vague just breathe out, remember your goals and you will be fine. When it comes to a partner, if it’s meant to be it will be. Cheer up! I know you are a smart person.” The girl weakly smiles and Chaeyoung walks away.

“Wait!” Chaeyoung stops from walking and her eyes became glow in the dark.

“Your eyes is beautiful”

“Thank you” She respond with no feelings and she walks again.

“Hey!” The girl grab Chaeyoung’s arm that made her stop again.

“What is your name?”

“Let me ask you back, What is your name?”

The girl let out a soft smile.

“Mina, Myoui Mina” Chaeyoung nods.

“You will know me soon” Chaeyoung walks away left Mina dumbfounded.

 

“Now I know why Chaeyoung is a candidate for god of living” Jihyo saw and heard that what happens. She smiles and she walks away leaving Chaeyoung and the girl alone.