- FIVE -

Grounded

 

“Day 2 of operation Angel-Gotta-Go. Gonna find my majestic flutter mutant, yeah!” Taehyung hitched his backpack onto his shoulders and sauntered up the large school steps, leaving the sun to beam rhythmically behind him. He wandered the crowded halls and eyed for any suspiciously magical people. He straightened his navy blue tie as he stealthily walked against the halls, carefully avoiding crowds of people while being alert. “No sign of the target, sir.” He whispered. He leaped to the other side of the hall and flitted his eyes left and right, then spoke in a muffled voice into his hand. “Copy that, Agent Kim.”  A minute passed when he found himself tip-toeing/hopping up the stairs in search for his homeroom and any mysterious activity, creeping down a hall with tall windows to let light stream through.

 

“Agent TaeTae, I spotted a pink-haired lady in a white dress. I repeat, I have spotted a pink-haired lady in a white dress.” Taehyung watched as the girl laughed with her friends and closed her locker shut. Besides the bright hair and makeup, she looked pretty boring. He squinted before whispering into his cupped hand again when she walked away. “Come in, Agent TaeTae, it was a false alarm. I repeat, false alarm-”

 

“‘Scuse me, soldier boy.”

 

Taehyung whipped his head around to find himself face-to-face with the dark haired boy from yesterday - the one who not-really-helped him with his lock problems. He mentally screamed.

 

“Watcha doin’?”

 

“I uh. . .” Taehyung straightened his back, remembering how his father had told his that demons shouldn’t be one to crouch for anyone.The other boy was the same height as him and he didn’t like it. Not one bit. He turned his voice into deadpan. “Mind your own business, kid.”

 

“Yours looks a lot more interesting than mine, though.”

 

Taehyung would have taken that as a compliment if it weren’t for the snarky smirk imprinted on the guy’s face. He growled.

 

“I’m Jeon Jungkook, by the way. I don’t think I ever mentioned that.”

 

“I’d like if you’d not mention it at all and go on ahead with yah business, mister!”

 

 Jungkook made what looked like a scrunched up rabbit face before walking away to his locker, which sadly, was only a few down from Taehyung’s. Taehyung decided that he would rather spy around for more until Jungkook left so he could get to his own locker.

 

  __________________


 

“Good morning everyone, you all know me by now - i’m Krystal, your class representative, and i’m up here to give you the news and check with you guys on anything, really.” The girl flung her long, straight hair over her shoulder and cleared . “There’s a chess competition tomorrow after school with our team against other schools, a poetry cafe on Thursday, and Friday is school spirit day. Wear a purple tie! You have to wear your uniforms and no inappropriate accessories.” She turned her head to a slim girl in the back and shot daggers with her eyes. “You got that?”

 

The class mumbled a yeah before she asked for any questions. When everyone seemed to be busy picking their nails or scribbling down answers to last night’s homework, Taehyung tentatively raised his hand. He felt Jooheon glance at him from his right. “So uh, i’m new here, hi. Yeah, I kind of want to join a club but i’m not sure how. . . ?”

 

“Oh, which club?”

 

“Dance club. Do you have a dance club?”

 

Jungkook looked up from his phone from under his desk. Hell yeah they had a dance club. They had the god dang best dance club in their area that could hardcore smash any dance team who dared to compete against them. Jungkook should know. He was a dignified member.

 

“Uh, yes, i’m pretty sure we do have a dance club. I heard from the seniors that there’s going to be a show for the arts in two months or so, so you might want to get yourself in there quick before you’re too late. You can follow. . .” Her eyes wandered over the students before pointing to a tall, dazed boy nodding off in his chair. “Yugyeom. He’s in the club and he can help you get yourself joined, alright? I’d tell you who the board director was if I knew them, but I don’t, so. . .”

 

“No, it’s okay. Thank you.” Taehyung politely nodded and drummed his fingers on his lap.

 

__________________


 

 Taehyung almost roared in happiness when the school bell rang, indicating that the excruciatingly boring day had ended. He didn’t find any suspicious activity so far and was beginning to suspect what ‘suspicious activity’ even meant - was he supposed to look for a glowing person? Someone who looked sparkly and magical? What the heck was he trying to find?

 

 His mind was a jumbled mess as classic literatures and algebra and chemistry and history swam through his head like a bunch of hungry sharks, all gnawing at his poor brain cells. He stared at his lock again. This morning, he had asked Jooheon to help him with his lock and Jooheon had only opened it for him and left - in haste to go see some guy Minhyuk or whatever.

 

Jooheon wasn’t here now. He frowned at his lock and turned it a couple of times in pure spite, then rested his forehead on his locker.

 

“Need some help?”

 

 Oh no, Taehyung thought, not this guy again. He tilted his head to glare at the guy. “Well your teaching skills kinda , so pass.”

 

“Well I don’t think you’re gonna get anyone else to help you-”

 

“Hey, blondie, over there, yeah you! Can you help me-” Taehyung’s voice was cut off as he felt Jungkook’s hand clamp over his mouth and tell the other kid to continue along. The elder boy made a point to his hand to pry him off.

 

“You nasty.” The younger bared a wide grin while wiping the hand on Taehyung’s shoulder and nudging the brunet to his lock.

 

“Spin it a couple of times, stop at the first number.” Taehyung did what he was told after sending him a skeptical glance. “Now twist it the other way and pass the second number, and then stop at the number during the second time.”

 

 Taehyung felt an annoying warmth creep up his face when he felt Jungkook leaning over his shoulder to peer at his hands. His back was almost pressing his chest.

 

 “Aaaaand turn the other way again and immediately stop at the third number.”

 

 Taehyung’s hand fiddled with the lock, he stopped at 17, and then pried the lock open with a click. He gasped with pride. This was true mortal magic!

 

“Congratulations! You just learned what we’ve been doing for the past five years!”

 

The elder shoved his books into his backpack before swinging it onto his shoulder and slamming his locker closed. “Are you always this cocky?”

 

Jungkook slightly bounced. “I’m cocky? I’m cocky, right? Finally. Yugyeom said I acted too much like a baby sometimes and I wanna show him that I can be one of those cool emo biker guys-”

 

Taehyung almost laughed. “So, tell me. Why’d you wanna help me open my lock, hmm? Do you not have any friends? Besides that Yugyeom guy, if he even is your friend. Where is he, by the way? I wanted to ask him about-”

 

“Dance club?”

 

Taehyung tensed his shoulders. “Y-yeah, that.”

 

“Yeah Yugyeom was supposed to help you out with that, right? He went home early ‘cause he was so tired. He stayed up until 3 studying for math, who does that?”

He tapped Taehyung’s shoulder before slightly bending his knees and holding up a finger gun, giving the other a smug smile.

 

 “What the heck are you-”

 

“Agent TaeTae, come in.” He had cupped his hand and still held up his finger gun with the other, scurrying over down the hall and backing himself into a locker. Taehyung just stared before he realized what the younger was doing. “Operation get TaeTae to Practice Room 2A has begun. Troops, we move. Over.”

 

What was his name? Jeongin? Taehyung thought. Junkyun? Junkook? Ah! Jungkook!

After a long time of consideration, Taehyung slowly grinned. He cleared his throat while stalking his way down the hall on the other side. Only a few people were in the hall to give him weird stares - most of the kids already left to catch their buses. “Agent Kookie, our supplies are low, our troops are dying, and I have been spared with only one gun. We must hurry. TaeTae, over and out.”

 

 He made a static sound before hustling after Jungkook, who was turning in all ways and bounded down a flight of stairs like a ninja chicken.

 

Taehyung suppressed a giggle.

 

Only a minute passed once they reached the bottom of the stairs when suddenly clunky, hollow footsteps clopped in their direction from a corner. “TaeTae, Agent TaeTae, hold your fire! Get down!”

 

Jungkook dived behind a recycling bin while Taehyung scampered to hide under the dusty stairs; his heart racing excitedly. He couldn’t stop the ridiculous smile on his face from blooming and begged to the heavens that Jungkook couldn’t see him grinning like an idiot. A teacher in heels hummed and clacked up the stairs while gazing down at a pile of papers in her hand.

 

A moment passed when Jungkook glanced at Taehyung and motioned to move forward with his hand - a slight nudge of two fingers. They crouched and hustled down low-populated hallways and avoided the main entrances/exits. Their backs slid against the cool, white walls once deep into the school and Jungkook led the other down a hallway, down the corner, into another hallway, through a wide door, down a small hallway, and crouched at the edge. He turned to face Taehyung with one hand still up as a gun and rested the other on Taehyung’s shoulder. From where they were standing, they could easily see the glass doors revealing a large practice room with tall mirrors and a golden wooden floor, but Taehyung trained his eyes onto Jungkook’s firm stare.

 

“Soldier, if I die out there, I want you to know that I always had my best hopes in you, you hear? Agent Kim Kiminnie TaeTae Hyung, I am giving you the mission to dive into that hell of a battlefield and defeat the enemy, crack the code and win the glory of finding your way to the treacherous room of death and glory!” He gave his shoulder another pat while faking a tear, the two rising to stand. “I’ve always believed in you, TaeTae. Now, go out there and win us some glory-”

 

“What are you boys doing out here-”

 

“aBORT MISSION! ABORT MISSION!” Jungkook screamed and dove under the man’s arm to dash into the room. “IT’S EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF!”

 

Taehyung groaned. He glanced at the well-built man in front of him and straightened himself, patting down his hair and smoothing the creases on his uniform. “I was looking for the dance club, actually.”

 

“Oh, well, we’re right in this room. If Jungkook told me he was bringing in a friend today then I would have prepared a little something for you, but ah. . . .well, come on in.”

 

Taehyung bowed respectively and followed him in.

 

He fell in love immediately.

 

The room was large and spacious, where the floors gleamed under the sunlight streaming from the large windows and different props took up the space in each corner. He found his reflection in the wide mirror smiling back at him; a young, mussed up looking boy eager to get it on.  About twenty kids were in their own world - some listening to music, some practicing with one another, and others stretching and tussling with their friends. The overall mood was cheery, and Taehyung really liked that.

 

“Alright, kids, gather over here. We have a new member!” The students cheered and one whistled; many eyeing him up and down to speculate if he’d be a profit for their team or not. “What’s your name, pumpkin?”

 

Taehyung almost snorted when a tough, big ol’ man like this guy called him a pumpkin. “Kim Taehyung. My name is Kim Taehyung, and i’m in my second year here in Sanghwa. I’m a new student, too.” He saw Jungkook beam at him from the side and he did a double take. Wait, why was Jungkook still here?

 

“Nice to meet you, Taehyung. You can call me Mr.Cho. Do you have any dancing experience?”

 

“Not. . .not any official experience. I just kinda go crazy, I guess.”

 

Mr.Cho nodded. “Crazy is good, sometimes, I guess. Alright, so we do this thing where we play music whenever a new student joins and everyone crazy jams, so that’s what we’re going to do now, right? I suppose. Sanha, go put something on.”

 

“Huh? But i’m wearing. . . .oh you mean music. Alright.” A curly blond haired boy scurried over to a black box, connected his phone, and turn up the volume.

 

Dubstep. He was blaring dubstep.

 

This was definitely new to Taehyung. He laughed when the others immediately wriggled their bodies; some actually putting effort into it while others simply flopped themselves over their friends. Sanha himself was lanking his way to the center and smoothly making his way through the crowd in a robotic-worm gesture, giggling uncontrollably at the crazy people around him.

 

Taehyung wanted to cry when he saw Mr.Cho aggressively swaying his hips and wielding an arm in the air, and decided that he would keep a simple side boogy-woogy for himself, laughing as the heavy bass thumped against the wooden floors and odd sounds melodically trilled in the air.

 

And then he saw Jungkook.

 

The boy sported a scrunched up face screaming ‘MEEEME’, yet his arms moved along with his body in pulsated motions to keep rhythm with the strong-beated music; his foot tapping and chest rolling with strength.

 

He was somehow hypnotizing, Taehyung realized. And he didn’t like it.

 

His eyes locked on the other when he felt himself drowning in the strange aura Jungkook carried, finding his movements too intriguing to look away.

 

Taehyung didn’t get it. Could Jungkook have been the mortal he was looking for? Was Jungkook crushing Taehyung’s ego with his dancing? Or was. . . Taehyung beginning to crush on Jungkook????

 

Taehyung mentally barked in laughter. He just met this guy, and what, he was supposed to like him? Ridiculous. He shooed his annoying thoughts away and tried to bob heads with the person next to him when Jungkook looked his way.

 

His heart spiked.

 

Not good, not good, no no no no stop that. STOp iT, Taehyung chided himself. Turn around and ignore the little-

 

Jungkook grinned in a challenging way.

 

Ah HELL NAH HE DIDN’T-

 

Taehyung extensively stomped over to the leering boy and sprung into a couple of moves he once saw some demons do, adding his own little twist and flow and ending it with a dramatic disco pose.  He looked up and saw that Jungkook’s expression was testy.

 

The younger boy did a jump- thing with his legs which he managed to make look clean and efficient, then gave a powerful roll of his torso and ended it with a firm punch to the air.

 

Taehyung huffed.

 

“Better catch up with us if you’re going to stay, noob.”

 

“I didn’t know you were part of the dance club.”

 

“I’m a member of the dance board, thank you very much. You might want to ah, train yourself a bit.”

 

 Taehyung narrowed his eyes and dramatically slipped away. It was convenient for him that some random person tapped his shoulder and began to make conversation while moving side to side, so he could escape Jungkook’s line of sight and grumble on his own while muttering a “yeah, me too” every once in awhile.

 

He didn’t know what to make of Jeon Jungkook. And he didn’t know why he cared so much. Maybe it was because Jungkook was the guy who pretty much helped him throughout his high school experience. . .although the sour attitude could use a change. And maybe that’s why Taehyung decided that instead of lingering on one person, he would go explore the vast ocean of raging hormonal humans and make a couple of good friends. Jeon Jungkook could wait for another day.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:

 

gUESS WHAT I CHANGED THE TITLE TO 'GROUNDED'

idk it sounds better and it fits a lot better since it's a pun yeet