Starry Night

Sleepover
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Do you like where you are?”

 

She didn’t know the answer to this, so she did what she could do best, lying.

 

“Yeah…Yeah I do.”

 

Truth is she was just as confused as anyone else would be at this point in their lives. It’s as if she’s lived for too long yet, she hasn’t been around long enough to know what life was really like. For people to ask her this, life seemed a lot more than it needed to be.

 

*

 

“Her name…her name was Son Chaeyoung.”

 

“Was?” Her doctor questioned.

“A person from my past, someone who I wish was still with me in the present.”

She pursed her lips as the sweet memories played out in her head.

 

“Art, she loved art and I fell for the way she would go into full detail of her projects, the way her eyes lit up. I fell for the way she smiled as if nothing is wrong with the world, the way she looked at you as if you were the only person that mattered.” She lets out a small sigh, “I simply fell…”

 

“You fell? In what sense did you fall?”

A faint smile fleeted on her lips, “I fell for her, my entire body, mind and heart. She had all of me and I had her…”

 

"And what happened to her?"

She felt her heart slightly crumble, the smile slowly disappearing, "She left..."

 

* * *

 

“Dahyun unnie.”

She lifts her head up, eyes drawn towards the treble cleft necklace dangling on the girl’s neck. A soft smile tugs at her lips.

 

“Hey Chaeng…”

The younger girl sits down next to her, the sun kissing her skin.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

“I don’t know, I guess my feet just kind of led me here. I wasn’t really paying attention to where I was heading.” She notices the girl slightly shivering, the cold breeze gently brushing through her hair. She drapes her jacket across her shoulders, hoping it could give her even the smallest bit of warmth.

 

Chaeyoung frowns, “You’re going to get cold.”

Dahyun just shrugs, “Better me than you.”

 

The older girl doesn’t question why Chaeyoung was here, she just sat in silence, watching as the sun slowly descended.

“Shouldn’t you be going home now?” Dahyun asks.

 

“I don’t know if I could call it home…”

She notices the slight frown on the younger girl’s face. A small kiss is pressed onto her head, “Since we’re out, why don’t I get you something good to eat?”

 

A smile breaks out instantly on her face, her dimple pressing in.

 

Dahyun chuckles as she helps her up, their fingers lacing together naturally (as if it was practiced over and over again).

 

Just watching her eat so heartily was enough for her, seeing her smile this much was just enough for Dahyun. She gently pat her head, “Slow down there little lion.”

 

Chaeyoung just pouted slightly, looking absolutely endearing in Dahyun’s eyes.

 

“The food isn’t going anywhere,” She says, “You have all the time before you need to go back.”

She felt a small pang in her heart at the thought of Chaeyoung going back (but it couldn’t be helped, it couldn’t be prevented). She brings her hands up to her lips, a soft kiss pressed onto her knuckles as she holds her as if she’d break at any moment.

 

“I love you Chaeng.”

A blush breaks out across Chaeyoung’s cheeks, her heart rate growing quicker (as if it was her first time hearing this).

“I love you too.”

 

The older girl smiles, “I have a little surprise for you after this.”

Chaeyoung raises an eyebrow, “And that is?”

 

Dahyun just laughs, “It’s called a surprise for a reason, finish eating and I’ll show you.”

“Do you promise?”

 

“I cross my heart.”

 

 

 

 

She felt tall grass lightly tickling her thighs, Dahyun’s hands covering her eyes so she wouldn’t see whatever it was she wanted her to see. A small giggle escapes from , a certain feeling of giddiness passing through her as she continued walking forward carefully.

 

“What is it?” She asks.

She knows the older girl is smiling as she says, “Are you ready?”

 

 

Dahyun watches as Chaeyoung looks around slightly confused, she knew this would happen so she points up, a faint smile tugging at her lips. The younger girl’s eyes light up as she sees the stars decorating the sky, the moon shining so brightly above them.

 

“You’ve wanted to see the stars for quite some time,” Dahyun softly says, taking her hand in hers, “The hospital doesn’t really have much of a view does it.”

She’s enveloped in a tight hug, the younger girl letting out a small laugh.

 

“God I love you so much.”

Dahyun smiles again, her arms slowly wrapping around her waist, “Look at the stars love, they’re all twinkling for you.”

 

 

*

 

 

She picks up the sheet music, carefully putting it back into the folder in her hands.

 

“Knock, knock.”

 

“Oh hey Jihyo unnie,” She greets, a small smile on her face, “What brings you to the piano room?”

“I was just wondering if you wanted to join Jeongyeon and I to get some lunch. Having lunch at the university doesn’t sound so appealing today plus, we have no more classes today.”

 

After picking up her bag she just smiles at the older girl, “Sorry unnie but I have a date today, maybe another day.”

Jihyo laughs, patting the younger girl’s shoulder, “It’s fine, tell Chaeyoung I said hi.”

 

 

 

“Why didn’t you go with Jeongyeon and Jihyo unnie?” Chaeyoung asks, her legs crossed on the hospital bed. Dahyun slung her backpack down onto the ground, the bag of food being placed on the small table.

 

“I wanted to be with you,” She says, “By the way Jihyo unnie says hi. We should all come here sometime.”

She pecks Chaeyoung’s head before sitting down, a bright smile on her face, “So what did you do today?”

 

“Just the usual medicine and check up’s,” She says, “I can leave next week finally and go back to school.”

Dahyun’s eyes light up, “Chaeyoung that’s great!”

 

The younger girl is wrapped up in a tight hug by Dahyun, both smiling brightly.

"Everyone will be so overjoyed by this," Dahyun says pulling back, her hands on Chaeyoung’s shoulders, "God we have so much to do Chaeng.”

A thought crosses her mind, the smile on her face slowly disappearing, “Does…does this mean you’re alright now? You don’t have to come back here?”

The younger girl nods much to her relief, a sigh escaping from between her lips as she sat back down.

 

“That means I’ve got a lifetime with you,” She says holding Chaeyoung’s hand tightly in her own, “And a lot of star gazing…”

The younger girl chuckles, “We have all the time in the world now.”

 

 

 

The night she was discharged, Dahyun took her to an open field. It was just them and the stars, nothing to tear them apart.

 

“Why is it you like stars so much?” Dahyun asks out of pure curiosity, her gaze landing on Chaeyoung who was admiring the night sky.

 

“I always wanted to be a star since I was little. There’s just something about them that always intrigued me, the way that they just sparkle up there, admired by all. But that’s not what I wanted…I just wanted to light the way, wanted to be able to watch over the ones that I love.”

She smiles, looking at the older girl, “But I knew that wasn’t possible.”

 

Dahyun chuckles, “Anything can be possible love, I mean who knows? Maybe the stars will align just for you into a constellation just like they did with Orion. Plus, you’re already a star in my eyes. The universe’s treasure right here in my arms.”

 

Her cheeks heat up, a red hue tinting her cheeks as she buried her face into the crook of Dahyun’s neck.

“You’re so cheesy,” She mutters. The older girl smiles, wrapping her arms tightly around her waist, “I know I am but it’s worth the reactions.”

* * *

She picked up one of her old sketchbooks, dust slowly collecting on the cover. Her name was written in bright pastel colors, smalls stickers placed here and there.

 

“Son Chaeyoung,” She softly mumbled, her finger tracing her name. A faint smile graces her lips as she opens it, finding a sketch of herself on the first page.

 

(‘You shine just as bright as the sun, a constant source of warmth in my life.

I love you Kim Dahyun, please continue to shine brightly.

 

Son Chaeyoung.’)

 

She lets out a soft chuckle, her fingers running over the words she wrote (it seemed like just yesterday she was able to hold her, the entire universe in her arms).

“You certainly had a way with your words,” She mumbled to herself. Chaeyoung would never show her what she drew in her sketchbook, her cheeks always growing red whenever the older girl asked. The sound of the door opening had her lifting her head up, Tzuyu coming in through the doorway, the younger girl slightly surprised to see Dahyun there.

 

“Unnie, what are you doing here?”

“Just looking through some things, before we have to clear it out…”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter