Alone

From the Old and Torn Portfolio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hi! Missed me? Sorry, I've been pretty busy lately... with vacations and what not. But that really did not stop my JungSis phase though... Here's a little angsty one for ya. I'd recommend listening to a song while reading this. :3 

 

 

 

A dry breeze is blowing

The city is getting cold

I wonder how many seasons have passed

Without even a sound?

 

Jung Soojung stood there, pensive.

 

She had stood on the same spot before, but it had not felt as unwelcoming as it was now. It was spring, but the cold wind did little to convince her of the current season. It still felt like winter and she was cold. She surveyed her surroundings through dark tinted glasses. Passers-by came and went either oblivious or ignorant of her presence. She paid no heed for them either. Instead, she breathed the stale yet nostalgic air that summoned memories from the depths of her mind.

 

She remembered in silent nostalgia; recalled the time forgotten from whence someone else was there. In that very spot. With her. She exhaled and released a misty breath filled with her unvoiced feeling; a quiet cry of longing for a certain companion.

 

Oh, how time has passed. It felt just like yesterday – the memory.

 

All of the people coming and going

Bear heavy burdens,

Searching for tomorrow

Within the heated haze wavering in the distance.

 

Footsteps padded through the pavement as she explored the busy city streets in a slower pace compared to most. She watched as everyone walked past her; some hurried, others desperate, and still others on the brink of exhaustion. And she wondered how others who caught a glimpse of her would comment on her pace. Wouldn’t they also wonder why she was taking her strides with patience? She shook the thought off when she recalled that people have set different paces in their lives for a reason.

 

Those who hurried must be chasing after something or trying to make it on time. Those who were practically running were making a defiant last attempt at making up for something or someone. Soojung realized that the arrivals and departures of people were constant. Everyone had burdens to bear, including her.

 

Another thought occurred to her as she continued her leisurely stroll. A random memory. An epistle she once wrote.

 

I see you who cries and bears burdens every day.

 

Soojung swallowed the lump caught in . It was both an endearing and bitter memoir, one that also caused her pain. She remembered crying along, mournful tears in accompaniment to the person’s woes. She remembered those familiar hands clenching, bunching up her black shirt. The memory of the other’s shaking figure was still fresh. Soojung could still feel the heat emanating from the body that she embraced; the sobs that synched with hers as they both wept in the dark confines of her room.

 

Everything felt like an arid desert at that time. The world seemed like so. And Soojung felt lost, angry beyond her sanity, and… sadly, helpless. She felt powerless under the desert heat that the world exuded. And her companion was dying, thirsty of hope and redemption. Soojung could do little to slack it, but she could only offer herself. And her companion said that it was enough; enough to pull through everything.

 

By the morrow, Soojung found her sleeping peacefully in her arms as if the world had never wronged them. Soojung smiled as tears pooled her eyes once more; they were going to make it. They can make it. Together.

 

Feelings like sand

Falling through my hands...

Back then, the words that pierced my heart

Suddenly started to throb with pain, but...

 

Jung Soojung had almost walked straight into a lamp post. She had stopped herself just in time after waking from her reverie. Shaking her head, smiling some, she continued her silent walk until she reached the bridge. The wind was cold, yet Soojung felt that it was fitting. The air felt cool against her face and it reminded her of the sea.

 

Another fond memory slipped into her mind. She was a toddler and afraid of the world. Her fa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter