A Tap On The Back

My Badminton Love Story

"Good morning, Wooyoung-oppa." I greeted him.

 

"Yunhee, warm up already." He said.

 

"I already did - in the locker room." I said pointing to the Women's locker room.

 

"Okay. TAECYEON!!! JUNSU!!! GAME!!!!" Wooyoung-oppa shouted at the top of his lungs.

 

Then a game came walking to him. He was tall and muscular.

 

"Where's Junsu?" Wooyoung-oppa asked him.

 

"Outside. Eating something."  The man said. I'd guess he was Taecyeon.  He asked. "Who'll be my partner?"

 

"Chohee will be, then Yunhee and Junsu." Wooyoung-oppa said. Another man came walking to him, this time, I'd guess he was Junsu.

 

"Junsu, your partner will be Yunhee." Wooyoung-oppa said. I looked at Junsu. He smiled at me and I dropped my head down.

 

"There's Chohee. Go play." Wooyoung-oppa said. He grabbed his racket and tapped my back. I looked at him. He mouthed some words. "Play your best."

 

I smiled.

 

---

 

The game wasn't really going well. I felt really awkward playing with Junsu-oppa - he's older than me. There were shots that I could have gotten but didn't because I felt like Junsu-oppa might run after it and we'd hit each other if that happened. This made Taecyeon-oppa laugh a lot - again, he's older than me.

 

I hit the shuttle with only the movement of my wrist for a drive attack. I was dangerously near the net. Taecyeon-oppa returned my drive shot with a another drive shot and it almost hit my face. I moved and tried to hit it, ending up with me making awkward movements.

 

Taecyeon-oppa burst into laughter. "What kind of shot was that?" He said.

 

I was so annoyed and I think Junsu-oppa noticed that. He tapped my back and mouthed a word. "Relax." He said.

 

I let my shoulders down, giving me a bit of relaxation and less frustration.

 

I made another weird shot, Taecyeon-oppa burst into laughter again. And again, Junsu-oppa tapped my back and mouthed some words. "I'll avenge you."

 

Taecyeon-oppa gave Junsu-oppa a high ball. Junsu-oppa jumped into the air and hit it with all he's got. Next thing I saw, Taecyeon-oppa was on his knees, covering his face. The ball came down with such speed and strength - it was amazing.

 

Junsu-oppa laughed and he mimicked Taecyeon-oppa's scared stature. Taecyeon-oppa and Junsu-oppa laughed. The game was over and Taecyeon-oppa and Chohee-sshi won. Junsu-oppa tapped my back.

 

"I'm sorry." I said. I knew it was 99% my fault. If Junsu-oppa had another partner, they would have definitely won.

 

"It's okay." He smiled.

 

I shaked hands with Chohee-sshi and Taecyeon-oppa. "Good game." They said.

 

____________________

Drive - fast shot with an almost straight trajectory (physics, :P). Requires fast reflex and only the movement of the wrist. To win a drive shot battle, move closer to the net, increase the power of the shot and lower the trajectory, making it a half-smash sort of shot.

 

High Ball - also called 'clear' and 'long shots'. Aimed to get the shuttle at the very back of the court. This is used a lot in practicing. It uses the same form as the smash but have different trajectories.

 

Tapping back, shaking hands (can be hands or rackets), are usually done after a whole game - to give respect and thank the other players for their time.

 

A/N: Sorry if this chapter is a little sloppy. My whole body hurts now :P I went to a cueing session (like the one above) and played a total of eight games, compare to my brother who played just six. My brain is also a little tired since I slept at 1 in the morning and played for 4 hours, almost straight. I'll strive to do better >.<