-2-

Saving Face
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

--

Coincidence and fate might be different, but it’s there. Both are something that happened beyond a person’s control, and without any causal connection between two events.

Today was just like any other day for Sakura. Tons of surgeries, filling reports, and a little trip to visit her patients. And now, she just finished one of her scheduled surgeries for today.

“Rough surgery?”

Sakura sighed as she was greeted by her colleague, Kang Hyewon, the moment she finished five hours of surgery. Sakura took off her surgeon cap and threw it away.

“Yeah, there's a complication. Thank god we noticed that immediately.”

Hyewon hummed. She eyed her friend, who slumped her body on the sofa and rested her eyes. She’s been Sakura’s friend for almost a year now, after she was transferred from Seoul Hospital to Fukuoka, right when Sakura just finished her residency before she finally became one of the youngest surgeons. Hyewon is probably the only friend she has right now, aside from Taeng. They hit instantly once Sakura knew Hyewon is a gamer, and they became inseparable ever since.

Hyewon pretty much knows, guess, about Sakura’s little secret. Well, not that it’s a secret, but Sakura preferred not to show that she was more attracted to someone with the same gender. As she was living in Japan, people still treat loving the same gender as a taboo thing. And her family is well known as one of the oldest families in Fukuoka, so Sakura preferred not to talk about her preference. She never had a relationship before, as she’s not really interested in boys.

Sakura knew she had a different preference than any other girls her age when she had a little crush on her neighbor, Minju, Taeng’s little sister who is three years younger than her. Hyewon thought that Sakura would never confess to Minju because she is Taeng’s little sister, but it’s not. Taeng knew about her little crush with his sister and has been very supportive about the idea of Sakura dating his younger sister. But Sakura never confessed until Minju moved back to Korea, eventually.

If she wants to date someone, Sakura needs a push and courage. Lots of them.

“Hey, I’m gonna go to the club tonight. Wanna join?”

Sakura glances at her friend before she shakes her head.

"Nah, I'm just gonna go home. Still have that one game I haven't fini- Damn it."

Sakura cursed as her coffee from the vending machine didn't come out. She tried to shake the machine but nothing happened. Sakura rests her forehead at the vending machine.

"I swear to God today is definitely my worst day."

"Excuse me."

That melodic voice was probably the only thing Sakura could not forget from that party. She immediately pulled her head away from the machine and turned around. There she was, the angel that has been lurking inside her head.

Kwon Eunbi.

"May I?"

Sakura blinked her eyes before she followed Eunbi's hand, gesturing to the vending machine. Sakura immediately stepped away.

"S-Sorry. Sure, go ahead."

Eunbi smiled at Sakura before she put some coins and picked her drinks. Meanwhile on her side, Sakura was staring at Eunbi's back. Her eyes studying that perfect jawline, that petite nose, that luscious lips, and damn that shoulders. Sakura gulped and tried to avert her gaze elsewhere until Eunbi bent down to get her drink.

Stop being a creep and don't stare at her eyes, you . Said Sakura to herself as she turned her head to see Hyewon, who was already grinning at her. But of course Sakura could only cocked her brow up like nothing happened.

"Here."

A can of coffee was the first thing she caught. Her eyes then followed the owner of the hand until it landed on the prettiest smile she'd ever seen. Kwon Eunbi just offers her a can of coffee with the bonus of her smile.

"F-For me?"

Eunbi nodded.

"I saw you struggling with this. Go ahead, take it."

Sakura took the coffee from Eunbi's hand, with her finger grazing softly. So soft.. Sakura wished she could hold out longer, trailing the curves of Eunbi's fingers, but that would be creepy. So Sakura buried that hidden desire and tried to find coins from her coat.

'W-Wait, let me pay you back."

Eunbi chuckle sounds like music to her ears. How Sakura wishes she could be the sole reason for this melodic sound. Or maybe the other sound.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter