Chapter one

THE HEIRS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[1] 

Disclaimer: lines mean setting change or small time jump

Minju's eyes widened at what was presented before her on her phone screen. Did this really have to be the first thing she woke up to? She wasn't surprised, though, her parents had been going on about finding a suitable business to merge resources with for ages now. She just wished that her father would've at least informed her about it beforehand, rather than having her wake up to this pleasant, yet not so pleasant, surprise. 

There was a knock at her door.

"Good morning Miss Kim," said the head butler of her household. "I assume you've heard the news." 

Minju rubbed her eyes and sat up straight, with a clear frown on her face. "Why wasn't I told?" She said, standing up from her bed with her arms crossed. 

"Your father thought that you might try to sabotage the engagement had you been told any sooner."

"Unbelievable," she rolled her eyes.

"I assure you, Miss Ahn is quite lovely. She'll be transferring to Shinhwa today, actually."

"So I'm guessing I have to put on some kind of act in front of the reporters today?"

"I'm afraid so, Miss. Just smile and act like you've known her since birth." 

"Right," Minju let out a breath.

"I'll have the maids come in in a few minutes so that you can get started on your makeup." 

Minju took a deep sigh as her butler exited the room. It was bound to happen anyways, wasn't it. When you're the daughter of one of the most famous CEOs in the country, everything you did was influenced by power. Even love, apparently. 

But Minju cared for none of that, she was sure that she could live comfortably without any of the luxuries that she has right now. But she has to please her father. Keeping him happy is probably the most important thing for the safety of the family- Minju doesn't know what he would do if someone tried to damage his reputation. And that's why Minju has stayed squeaky clean throughout her entire life. No boyfriends or girlfriends, no staying out late at night or going to big parties; nothing that could jeopardize her family's perfect image.

 

--

 

"You'll be okay, Minju," the woman who was curling her hair said. 

"Unnie, what if I don't like her, what if she doesn't like me?"

"Minju-ya." The maid looked her directly in the eyes through the mirror. "You're easily the most beautiful girl in Korea. On the inside and out."

"I'm glad you got your genes from your mother," another maid doing her makeup said, "if you looked like your father then I assume you would be disliked." They all burst out into laughter and that was probably the first time Minju had smiled today.

The maids who tended to Minju all had the hate of Minju's father in common. Of course everything he did was to ensure the success of their family, but at what price? Minju hasn't grown up with a proper father figure, he never comes home for dinner, and he uses his children as puppets for his own personal gain.

"Anyone would be lucky to have you, Minju-ya."

"Thank you unnie," she smiled softly.

"There. All done," said the makeup artist. "I think the limo is already outside waiting for you." 

 

--

 

"Arasseo, driver-nim, I'm ready-" Minju said as she was getting in the car, but was then shocked to see a blue haired girl in the seat beside her.

"Hi," she said simply.

Minju blinked rapidly as her eyes observed the person before her. 

"Hello?" The girl waved her hand in front of Minju's face.

"A-ah, ne," Minju adjusted herself in her seat and put her seatbelt on. "You must be Yujin?" She stuck her hand out to shake the other's.

"Yes," she returned a slight bow. She sighed, "look, I don't like this anymore than you do, but we need to do it for the sake of our family. We can just be friends, but act all lovey in front of the cameras."

Minju chuckled, "I'm glad we had the same thing in mind."


 

--

 

As their vehicle approached the school, there was already a flood of reporters rampaging around the entrance. Luckily, Shinhwa was guarded by tall golden gates, and beyond them was the parking lot where the drivers of students would enter. But the gates were completely hidden by the wave of reporters.

"Oh God," Yujin gulped. "They're here for us?"

Minju looked out the window.

"They're also here for Chaewon-ssi and Wonyoung-ssi," the driver said.

Minju clocked the couple standing right before the gates, posing with delighted expressions in front of the cameras. 

"Oh my God!" Yujin's mouth dropped open. "That's Kim Chaewon!”

"Yeah," Minju trailed.

Kim Chaewon. The heiress of Kim Group, Korea's largest, fastest growing business. Her family is rumored to be a fifty billion dollar company, with chains as famous as Samsung known to bring in most of their profit. Her father is also the Principal of the school, meaning the added tuition money of the students skyrockets their family’s bank account. Don't let her innocent looks fool you, she is indeed a very powerful and decisive person.

Jang Wonyoung. The heiress of Jang Corporations, Korea's second largest business. She oozes confidence, and though at times she can come across as quite spoiled and self assured, she is very kind towards the people who deserve it.

Minju has been friends with them since she was little, and she figures that maybe she can learn a thing or two from them. After all, they have been engaged a lot longer than three hours. Somehow they just seem perfect for each other in front of the cameras- a picture perfect couple.

 

--

 

Suddenly, a voice distracted Minju from her thoughts. 

"Okay girls, it's go time," said the secretary who was sitting shotgun.

The two girls took in a deep breath and intertwined each other's hands. The door opened for them and they stepped out after each other, standing up with a straight posture as they got out of the limo. All of the flashing lights turned to them and the sound of camera shutters erupted throughout the school grounds. Minju gulped in fear, when she felt Yujin squeeze her hand and offer a small smile.

It's not like they had to say anything to the reporters, it was a mere publicity stunt. As long as the media got pictures of the newly engaged couple, it was enough to trigger conversation. They wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter