( T_T)\(^-^ ) [TEN POV]

Mistakes.

In the 6th grade, Ten had a crush like any other kid would. But when he realized it wasn’t normal to have a crush on a boy, he became scared. Afraid to show his love. Between the bullying and disownment, he didn’t know what was worse. After a couple of years, his parents came to accept that Ten didn’t have an interest in girls. He as glad for the acceptance, since not all parents could support such a thing, yet that wouldn’t stop the bullying. The name, abuse, and disgust coming from these kids hurt him, although he had to hide it all from his parents.

 

All because of one person.

 

-

 

Entering the room, he saw all the students lined up in the back of the class. “Okay, students, we are going to have you sit next to your partner for the rest of the school year. I purposely picked your partner as someone you aren’t as close with. Choose a seat next to your partner. Go!” 

 

Taeyong walked over to Ten. A black sweater with ripped blue-washed jeans. Normal white high top Converse shoes with striped socks. It was a basic Taeyong outfit, but something felt off. “Come on, the back desk isn’t taken yet.” Was it his outfit? No, it was what he normally wears. Was he wearing glasses? Ten got another glance. Nothing was on his face.

 

Taeyong sat at the left side of the desk, pulling out his sticker-covered laptop and a blue 2 in binder. Ten sat next to him, doing the same, but continued to glance over at Taeyong. That was it...

 

Ten pulled down Taeyong’s hoodie and it revealed pretty light pink curled hair with a dangling earring on his right ear. “Wow..it’s so pretty, Yongie.” Taeyong seemed to become flustered. “Uh, yeah, thank you.” He opened his laptop, “let’s get to work.”

 

-

 

The school bell rang, signaling the students to leave the classroom. Ten follows Taeyong to his locker. He leans against the locker, cold metal pressed on his skin, getting a beautiful side view of Taeyong. “We can’t go to my place today sadly, so is it okay if we work over at yours?” Taeyong closed the locker and faced Ten, earring swaying side to side. “Yeah, it’s fine! Whenever you wanna work at your place we can, I really don’t care.” Taeyong let out a small chuckle and smile. “I promise tomorrow we can go over.” Ten nodded, “Whatever helps you sleep at night.” 

 

-

 

Taeyong let out a long sigh and closed his laptop while stretching. He rubbed his eyes and started packing up, lifting his Jansport black backpack, keychains hitting each other creating a low jingle. “As I said, tomorrow, my place.” Ten walked Taeyong to the front, his checkered Vans squeaking against the hardwood floor. “But please makes sure you have snacks. I always get hungry while working.” Is he going to do it? Taeyong’s eyes closed as he chuckled. Yes. “Anything for you, Master Tennie,” Taeyong while bowing. Ten let out a rather loud laugh, immediately covering his mouth with his hand once it was out for the entire world to hear. “Sorry..” Ten knew his face would be beet red, but Taeyong didn’t seem mind. “Relax around me, Ten. There is nothing to be embarrassed about,” Taeyong said whole petting Ten’s head. He began walking out the door but stopped on his heels. “Oh wait! Ten, would you like to sit at my lunch table? We have some of the same friends, and they sit at our table.” Ten brightened up. “That would be amazing, Yongie.” Taeyong, then, showed off a beautiful wide smile. “See you at lunch then, Tennie,” and he waved goodbye while turning his back, heading towards his house.

 

-

 

“Yongie, I don’t think this is such a good idea,” Ten said, walking into the cafeteria with Taeyong by his side. “It’s okay, some of your friends sit here too, remember?” They both walked closer to the table, lunch in hand. “Where do you normally eat anyway?” Ten slowed down a bit, “The roof. It’s quiet and peaceful.” Taeyong intertwined their arms. “Well, welcome to your new eating spot.”

 

They walked over and Ten could already see familiar faces. “Ten!” Johnny got out of his seat and hugged Ten, a little too tight. “Hey, Ten, kind of you to join us,” Taeil, his seat partner in period 5 English. Johnny dropped Ten and held his hand. “Sit next to me. These two chairs are the best on the whole table.”

 

After the whole interaction, Ten felt a shiver go down his spine. A pair of eyes looking through Ten’s soul, but as he looked around, everyone was either on the phones or just talking. A hand did appear in front of Ten’s face instead. “The name is Doyoung. Ten right?” Ten looked up and met the boy’s eyes. He shook the hand with a reply, “Correct. It’s nice to meet you, Doyoung.” A voice pierced through their mini-conversation. “Ten? I am not trying to be rude, but what kind of name is that?” Taeyong, who was sitting next to the spoken boy, smacked his shoulder. “That was still rude, Jaehyun. You didn’t even introduce yourself.” Ten was about to speak, but Johnny answered for him. “It isn’t his real name, just a nickname. Show them your ID.” So, Ten followed Johnny’s words.

 

“Now I understand why you have a nickname, sorry. As Taeyong, said, my name is Jaehyun.” Ten put his ID back in his wallet and proceeded to eat a potato chip from his lunch. “It’s okay, a lot of people ask me if that’s my real name. I’m Thai, so that’s why my name is so ‘long’.” Johnny rested his arm over Ten’s shoulder. “Trust me, I asked the same thing, Jaehyun. It’s okay he won’t stay salty over it.” 

 

Ten saw someone approach the table while everyone was in their own world. “Hey what’s up guys? Who’s the new guy?” Everyone looked up to the boy talking. “It’s Ten. Oh wait, I didn’t introduce myself did I..well I’m Yuta if  I already didn’t. And this is Hansol.” Yuta pointed to the boy that approached their table. “He is my man candy.” Ten became surprised. Man candy? “Wait..dont tell me you are homophobic.” Ten shook his head. “Seems the word hasn’t spread to you. I’ve come out as gay a year ago.” Johnny whispered into Ten’s ear. “He moved from Japan this year. That’s probably why he doesn’t know.” Ten looked over at Yuta, who was nodding his head. “Yeah, moved this year. But I’m glad you are gay. Now we can finally call us the gay table.” What?

 

After lunch, Ten walked with Taeyong to his locker. “Hey..um I’m still wondering what Yuta was talking about at the table. He called it the ‘gay table’? Does that mean..” Taeyong covered his mouth with his hand. It was soft. “Don’t say it too loud.” So, he is gay. “Trust me, I believe I would be the last person to tell people such a thing.” Taeyong looked into Ten’s eyes. He could feel the sincerity Taeyong’s eyes gave off. “Thank you.”

 

-

 

Once the 9th period ended, Taeyong and Ten met up at Tae’s locker like every day. “We are going to my place today and I’ve got snacks!!” Ten squealed at the mention of snacks. “You listened to me!!” A hug came Taeyong’s way. “Woah, calm down its just snacks.” He chuckled like he always does. “Come on. Let’s go before the snacks are gone.”

 

They reached Taeyong’s house, but Ten doesn’t even know if he is allowed to look at it. The whole thing looks so expensive. “It’s okay Tennie, it’s not like looking at it will make you pay a million dollars.” Ten nodded and followed Taeyong to the gate. Once it was opened after Taeyong put in a code, Ten could get an even better view of the whole place. It wasn’t that big, but wow was it beautiful. The trees, to the flowers, all the way to the pool you can see in the backyard. Everything was so perfect. “As you said, welcome to mi casa.”

 

-

 

When they walked into Taeyong’s room, the whole thing looked so normal compared to the entire house. It was like any teenage boy’s room. A few band posters were hung up on the pretty light green walls. Photos of friends were up along the bed frame. Bed perfectly made, white and black striped blanket, tucked into the frame. Not a single lone clothing found on the floor, but what seems like homework and books instead. “This bedroom screams Taeyong.” His eyes settled on the warm look given from Tae. “Well, of course, it is my room after all.” He took some pillows off his bed, three basic gray fluffy ones. “We can sit on these while we work. I’ll go get the snacks.” A smiles spread across Ten’s face. “You do that.” 

 

Ten started unpacking the project materials but started looking around the room once more. He left his backpack fall on the floor. Ten’s eyes fell upon each and every picture. He could see some of the people from the lunch table in the photos. Jaehyun, the one who asked about his name, was in a lot of them. They must be close.  He looked at his bedside table, just a simple lamp and tissue box, but something was under it. He slowly pulled out the small object from under the box, it was a photo. The words, “Taeyong’s 5th birthday” written on the back. He flipped over the picture and dropped it immediately. No ing way. This can’t be.  He stared at the photo that fell on the ground. It made so much sense.  Ten’s shaking hands picked up the photo once more, and the door flew open. “Hey, Ten, I got us some-“ Taeyong stopped mid-sentence and looked at Ten. He must have known right away what Ten was looking at because he dropped the food and rushed over to Ten to rip the picture right out of his hands. “LEAVE NOW TEN!!” He couldn’t believe it. He was in so much shock, but Taeyong yelling at Ten broke him. He ran out the door, with just grabbing his backpack, tears falling down his face. He didn’t care for the left project materials left at the room, he just ran home as fast as he could. 

 

Taemin and Minho are Taeyong’s parents.