Nineteen

Heartwarming Photographs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     Balance.

     Rhythm.

     Unity.

     "Impact is within the composition," Dahyun repeats the phrase her art professor states after discussing the principles of art several days ago.

     Seven AM, Kim Dahyun stands among the particular grass beneath the shady trees planted on the Minatozaki garden. You might ask, why so early? To answer, Dahyun wouldn't disregard visiting the garden at dawn. As much as possible, she would tend to visit once in the morning and once in the afternoon.  It was just her time management that affected her morning visits, so it felt foreign to Dahyun to visit this early again.

    Obviously, by this time, Sana would still be asleep, so Dahyun paid no heed to the idea of dropping a call and asking her the permission to visit. It was just a quick pass-by anyway, and soon, she would have to proceed to her morning classes.

     Although, It's been four days since her stay in Sana's residence. A lot happened so fast, and it was hard to believe the events are causing a change in one's life already. Dahyun had the tendency to check on Sana's condition after that night, asking the initial questions "How are you?", "Have you eaten your lunch/dinner?" (Dahyun would plan to take Sana out to eat or cook for her, but Sana would always answer yes.) And constantly remind her to sleep early.

     Their situation is the epitome of the phrase the tables have turned. Although, Dahyun wouldn't question herself regarding her actions towards Sana, and Sana never bothered to question Dahyun about the day-to-day check-ups. All Dahyun knows is that Sana is in need of a companion, so she'll gladly answer that with genuine care.

     Dahyun tilts her camera to the left. The gold rays are beginning to strike through the clouds already. The flowers are in full bloom, and the trees were beginning to form shades and protection from the strong sunlight. Despite the visible sun, the temperature was still low due to the early morning.

     Click!

     The daisies are really pretty with the sun complimenting them adequately. A breathtaking floral photo in the morning is enough to keep Dahyun's day going.

     She viewed the photo with the faint smile, earning a sense of satisfaction from the perfect-looking photograph.

     With this, she shuts her camera down and retrieves the assigned bag to pack things up.

     "Ah, I forgot about the orientation today," Dahyun mumbles while zipping the bag. "I wonder how Jeongyeon-unnie was notified and I wasn't?"
     
     She hangs the strap over her shoulder and decides to brush off the thought. Jeongyeon informed Dahyun about an upcoming orientation the other night to be held this day, and Dahyun wasn't sure how Jeongyeon received the news.

     Dahyun sends the garden a quick glance before waving and smiling warmly. "Let's see each other again later," she bids.

_____

 

     Momo keeps fidgeting.

     The disturbing sound of furious tapping on the wooden table due to her restlessness covered the whole room, along with the stable glare Momo glued to her fingers.

     Her actions went on for the last fifteen minutes already. The silence defined Momo's search for an answer, whilst the tapping defined her irritation as the answer never appeared.

     Suddenly, the phone beside her hand vibrated and rang. Momo picked it up quickly and swiped to answer the call.

     ("What's the matter with you? You called me ten times already.")

     The other line began to speak in Japanese, so Momo cooperated by speaking the same tongue.

     Momo scoffed, "I should be asking you that. You didn't even answer any of my calls!"

     ("I work too, Momo.") The speaker sighed, ("Can you perhaps tell me what's going on?")

     Momo stood up from her seat and started to roam around the room. She answers, "The company orientation is in two hours. I don't think I can walk up the stage and present. That's why I want you to come here and present in my place."

     ("What? But that's your sister's company. Not to mention, you're pretty much the co-manager. Why the hell do you want me to present?")

     "First, you're an employee under the same company."

     ("An employee is different from a choreographer. I am your sister's assistant, too.")

     "Doesn't matter. Just come here and I'll give you the details."

     ("The group I am forming a choreography for is preparing a comeback soon. I can't ditch my work.")

     "This is a thirty minute to one hour promotion, Yuta. You can always go back once the orientation is finished. I just need you to replace me."

     Yuta groaned, obviously disliking Momo's request. ("Will you please give me a valid reason why? Your sister sent you back here herself, so it's your job to promote. You should have hired someone else to promote for you.")

     "I'm just...not ready to present right now. I can't call off the orientation since everything is planned and settled already." Momo sighed, rubbing her temples and facing down. "What about that Takada guy?"

     ("He's a new recruit, you can't order him if he's still learning the basics.")

     Momo walks to her table, opening the drawer below to grab a skin-colored folder inside. She opens the folder and skims a few pages before finding a list written full of names.

     She dictates, "Mizuguchi Yuto?"

     ("New recruit.")

     "Sung Jiyeon?"

     ("New recruit...")

     "Im Nayoung?"

     ("New recruit, also a member of the girl group 'PRISTIN'.") Yuta sighed, heavily.

     "Surprising to know that an idol group member is a part of the company."

     ("A few of our dancers who choreographed dances for PRISTIN was able to recruit her. Please make sure to choose someone who has been in the company in a span of four years. We don't want to cause any misunderstanding.")

     "We have a script!"

     ("And yet, the students have the right to ask questions.")

     "Ugh, dammit!"

     Momo slid the folder away harshly. She roamed around the room back and forth, figuring out a way to solve the problem.

     "Why do we need to promote anyway? We have a plethora of members already..."

     ("Don't forget that the members are divided into different units. We have a lot of units performing back in Japan, while we only have two here in Korea. The company's reputation is so low, and forming a unit is the only way to raise it.")

     "Can you elucidate our reputation status?"

     ("Our company name is nowhere to be seen at the 2017 company brand reputation rankings. Balance: Modern and Contemporary Dance Company, ran by Kim Jongin, takes first place with a talent agency following in second place.")

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter