Fifteen

Heartwarming Photographs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     As the city lights illuminated the lively road, Dahyun's van can hardly cooperate with the traffic tonight. She didn't expect these many vehicles would occupy the wide space easily. The news didn't mention or warn the citizens of any means of possible traffic by this time.

     The deafening volume of drivers pressing their built-in horns simultaneously is in contrast with the frustration dwelling inside the minds of agitated employees late for their evening shifts. Some wished to have departed early, while some wished to have stayed at home. You can never indicate which ones need the open road and which ones had a motive of driving for entertainment.

     Dahyun is one of those who needs the open road. The space between her van and the car at the front gave her no opportunity to steer freely. The vehicle at the back was in the same boat. They can only hope on the tall traffic light post displaying a bright, red LED. Only a matter of time until it switches to the awaited green.

     Necks were lowered while eyes were glued upwards the three circular lights. The continuous tapping on the stirring wheel interpreting each passing second could only play the role of interruption from letting her patience retreat. This is the result of causing a fragment in one's daily routine. Once you are unable to comply with a planned schedule, it's your responsibility to fix whatever mess will follow.

     "I hope the ones in front better move quick..." Dahyun groaned.

     Later on, the leaders of the traffic began to roll a second before the lights shifted to green. They wasted no time in releasing the automobile's full power. Okay, maybe not their 'full power' as the notifying sign drivers always encounter— the specific speed limit. But, the speed was enough to keep the transportation pace ongoing. Dahyun's van successfully escaped the frustrating traffic and cautiously made a left turn.

     Thankfully, the current road was a lot spacious than the main road earlier so Dahyun had a chance to accelerate and spend little to no time inspecting the environment. She shot the small, ripped paper pinned between her index finger and middle finger a few glances to check the written addresses while she uses the significant hand to grasp the steering wheel. Her opposite hand reached out just so she can adjust the direction of the air vent.

     One last turn and there lies a tall sign by the sidewalk naming the same street written on the paper. Dahyun pressed a switch to open the power window just so she can lean her head out and study the surroundings. The location was a little too far from the flower shop, considering Dahyun had to overcome a phase of traffic.

     Shortly after turning off the ignition, Dahyun advanced her way to the back of the van. She kept the paper alongside her as the designated requests were written on the other side. Of course, the clipboard won't be forgotten.

     In order according to the address:

     Nam Min Jae - The large bouquet of Carnations (wow...very pretty...)
     Lim Seung Kwan - Gerbera Daisies (so vibrant! really nice!)

     The side comments weren't intended, but Dahyun's admiration while Tzuyu gathered the two bouquets controlled her mind into aimlessly writing the unnecessary words. Now, she can't help but squint and wonder when did she write them.

     The paper was forced inside her pockets, crumpling it in the process. She didn't mind. As long as it's still readable, that is. She makes her way inside and carefully picks up the fresh-looking and well-organized bouquet. The mini Carnations spreading from the sides helped in emphasizing the main Carnations in the center.  Their colors compliment each other, too. You can say that Tzuyu is a knowledgeable florist who knows how to decently form eye-catching floral arrangements.

     Dahyun parked on the other side of the street so she swayed her head from left to right to check any incoming vehicles. With the road safe and clear, she skipped with her right hand holding the clipboard to support the bouquet she's carrying.

     A tall wall is the first thing that appears right in front of her with her last step. A few inches to the right, a black gate can be seen to secure the not-so-big house kept inside the walls. It was a normal home, yet, everything felt so huge. It was just that Dahyun can't relate at all. Just turning the same doorknob all over again probably left her to ache in the apartment for the last 2-3 years.

     Glued to the wall was a small button. Dahyun pressed it once and a loud ding dong! was heard. She bites her lip in anticipation while she hopes that one press is enough to call the attention of those inside. Not convinced enough, she lands her finger on the button again.

     Seconds after the recent bell, Dahyun fixed her posture as soon as she tilts her head to see a man approaching the gate.

     "Sorry to keep you waiting! I had to organize a family meeting," the man voiced while he unfastened the gate with the latch. "You must be from the flower shop. I was waiting for the flowers since I called. I just couldn't keep my excitement, you see."

     The man looks like he's in his early thirties. The only thing that made him look old are his specs. His appearance was that of an average fatherly figure, but, he still looks young.

     Dahyun reached for her pockets to pull out the small paper and read, "Um...You are Nam Min Jae-ssi?"

     "Yes, yes, that's me."

     "Your request is a bouquet of pink and red carnations."

     "It sure is."

     Dahyun surrendered the bouquet, "Here you go, sir."

     "Ah, lovely! I chose the right florist to arrange this for me. My wife will surely love this," the man marveled. "It's our first anniversary tomorrow, you see. I played a trick on her by pretending to forget. Her reactions are hysterical!" 

     Just the thought of his wife frequently reminding her husband about their anniversary already made Dahyun laugh. 

     The laughing session ceased when Dahyun smiled warmly. "Congratulations on your first anniversary, Min Jae-ssi. I hope that you two will stay together for a long time," she acknowledged. The man, Min Jae, bowed slightly in gratefulness. He offered Dahyun to stay for a family dinner, but Dahyun rejected the kind proposal and thanked him either way.

     The next customer was no different when it comes to th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter