The Black Notebook

Death Note ; Rebirth Of The Shinigami

“Suspect Lee Sang Joon was found dead in his apartment when his lawyer went to his house to pick him up to get his verdict… Lee Sang Joon was supposedly reported to be proven innocent in court later in the afternoon…”

 

I slammed my macchiato on the small table in the café as I watched the news. Proven innocent? It was so obvious that he was guilty of the robbery and murder case. How could he possibly be innocent? What is the Korean Police Force doing?

 

Minho frowned the television screen as well, clearly unable to believe his eyes. “Innocent? His fingerprints were found on the weapon and all the evidences were onto him.” He sighed, “But looking at the previous news report, he did look confident about winning the case and proving himself innocent.” He bit into his sandwich as he threw his own notes on the table, snuggling into the couch he was sitting on. Whatever Minho said, I thought the same. I sighed before hitting Minho lightly on his thigh.

 

“Come on, let’s go. Class is starting.” I picked up my macchiato in my hand as I walked in front, Minho catching up with me soon after.

 

I played with my pen as lesson went on and I could not seem to stay focused. Not only was the most recent death disturbing me, something else was interrupting my thoughts.

 

Kwon Ji Yong.

 

How did he know my name? How did he know which room I lived in? Further yet, how did he know about my existence? I needed answers, but I really did not want to seem desperate to know.

 

I glanced around the classroom, making sure that he was not my classmate. Just then, my eyes caught sight of the girl who introduced herself yesterday, Calia. She was chewing on Pocky and playing her handset game, showing total disinterest in class. I scoffed as I suspected myself of the intuition I had about her being my competition before turning back towards my lecturer, trying to pay attention in class after being interrupted and distracted by all the random thought processes.

 

I left for my dormitory the moment school ended as I had Taekwondo practice in an hour’s time. I threw my bag onto my bed before lying down, feeling slightly tired as I did not manage to get enough sleep from the night before. All those coincidental deaths and the random visitor caused me to feel frustration as I could not understand and solve how all these happened.

 

“Heart attacks, huh?” I took out my notebook as I glanced through my notes and looked through the deaths one more time before sighing. No matter how many times I read it, most of them are still heart attacks. I lifted myself off the bed to switch on the television but something else caught my eye. A black A4 notebook was sitting on my desk, the title clearly on the front page.

 

Death Note.

 

 

“What the? When did this get here?” Without suspicion, I picked it up to put it back together with my other Death Note merchandises. I was not surprised at all since I had quite a fair share of merchandises that I bought, one of which was an identical bogus Death Note that many fans had as well, aside from all the mini soft toys of the main characters.

 

I was going to put it back in place, but at the original position where I left my merchandise, the notebook was there, untouched. I stared at the one in my hand before deciding to open it up and the instructions on how to use the book was on the front page, just like the real one.

 

“Who does this belong to? I only have one…” I murmured to myself.

 

Heart attacks…

 

I quirked an eyebrow as I switched on the television, catching up on the news as new deaths were being reported for the day.

 

“… Bang Chi Yo, 29, has been arrested for being an accomplice in the robbery and murder case…”

 

I listened to the news as it was reporting about the same robbery and murder case that the guy who died this morning was supposed to be proven innocent for.

 

“Accomplice…” I bit my lips as I took a pen from my stationery holder on instinct as I stared in the blank page of the Death Note. “If this Death Note is real, I hope you die.” I cursed, writing down his full name in the book. It was probably a fake anyway. It can’t be real. Death Note was only a legend. A fictional story written by an author and drawn by a manga artist. I closed the book as I headed to my wardrobe, picking out my Taekwondo uniform to change into it.

 

“Latest news report! Bang Chi Yo, who was recently arrested for the robbery and murder case has just died of a heart attack…”

 

I paused as I turned towards the television screen.

 

What the hell is going on?